• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
Bringing the conversation back to Smash Bros, here's something I'm always curious about....... how/why did you choose your main character?

Let me expand upon that: When choosing a main, do you simply pick from the top of the 'tier list'? Do you main a character whose series you're a fan of? Does your main have a playstyle that fits your personal preference? Something else entirely?

I always feel that with any game that has numerous characters, people should use the character they like or have a connection to and never play solely based on tiers or best options (unless, of course, you're a high level tourney player and money is a stake). Sure, winning is great, but fun should always come first. I have no connection with Sheik so I wouldn't have fun playing as her, even if I was winning every match. On the flip-side, I've always been a huge fan of the Dr. Mario series and immediately mained him in Melee. Even when I lose as Doc, I'm having fun and would have it no other way.

My alt is Charizard (another considerably 'low tier' character). When I first played Pokemon Red, I chose Charmander. He eventually evolved into Charizard, thus I have a 'personal connection' with the character. He's not the easiest character to use and is overwhelmed in many match-ups, but I have fun trying to win and find it far more satisfying than using a character for which I have no connection with.

When I see so many Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Ness, Rosalina, etc, I always wonder if people just enjoyed their games or chose them based on their ease of use in Smash. My guess is that many of the Ness players I've come across have never played an Earthbound game.

Anyway, just something I often ponder, feel free to share your thoughts if you wish.
I chose Ness,Lucas, and Jigglypuff as when I began Smash in general, these were the underdog characters :) literally after I beat my cousins with them ( they're older than me by 5 years) they wouldn't talk to me for a solid month XD. I chose the rest of the characters in my signature out of me enjoying their games and movesets (Reggie give us Mother 3!)

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
waw on the 32nd?! thats a long wait!!!

i cant wait for mario paint's mario to be revealed for smash broth 64

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Bringing the conversation back to Smash Bros, here's something I'm always curious about....... how/why did you choose your main character?

Let me expand upon that: When choosing a main, do you simply pick from the top of the 'tier list'? Do you main a character whose series you're a fan of? Does your main have a playstyle that fits your personal preference? Something else entirely?

I always feel that with any game that has numerous characters, people should use the character they like or have a connection to and never play solely based on tiers or best options (unless, of course, you're a high level tourney player and money is a stake). Sure, winning is great, but fun should always come first. I have no connection with Sheik so I wouldn't have fun playing as her, even if I was winning every match. On the flip-side, I've always been a huge fan of the Dr. Mario series and immediately mained him in Melee. Even when I lose as Doc, I'm having fun and would have it no other way.

My alt is Charizard (another considerably 'low tier' character). When I first played Pokemon Red, I chose Charmander. He eventually evolved into Charizard, thus I have a 'personal connection' with the character. He's not the easiest character to use and is overwhelmed in many match-ups, but I have fun trying to win and find it far more satisfying than using a character for which I have no connection with.

When I see so many Diddy, Sheik, ZSS, Ness, Rosalina, etc, I always wonder if people just enjoyed their games or chose them based on their ease of use in Smash. My guess is that many of the Ness players I've come across have never played an Earthbound game.

Anyway, just something I often ponder, feel free to share your thoughts if you wish.
From a competitive player:

I try a bunch of characters initially that appeal to me (whether it be me liking them outside Smash or being interested in their playstyle/what they bring in Smash), and then trim them off while gravitating towards those that are most intuitive, fun, and successful for me. Their tier list position isn't a factor for me in itself, but since I gravitate towards those I win more with, characters that are inherently better end up getting favor as I inevitably do better with them with all other factors near-equal.

In Smash 4 I initially started with a combination of Ganondorf, Dedede, Bowser, Lucario, R.O.B., Captain Falcon, Charizard, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Little Mac, and Bowser Jr, in about that order of priority.

I ended up getting down to Dedede, Ganon, and Rob within a month (while still seriously fooling around with Zard and Falcon), though when Dedede's terribleness became more apparent (while not getting any sort of buffs through patches) and I was starting to do better with other characters, I ended up dropping him while fully picking up Charizard (who I was beginning to really improve with, and who I thought was criminally underrated, which has only gotten better with patches).

Nowadays I'm still maining Rob, Zard, and Ganon, though I'm beginning to feel a phase out of Ganon into a "fun character" like he was in Brawl for me, as the patches haven't been addressing his most serious issues (seriously, why is Dark Dive still such an atrociously useless move after a whole game rebalancing and four patches), and he really needs his customs to be remotely viable (which unfortunately seem to be losing the legality battle).

In Brawl I ended up getting down to a comain duo of Dedede and Wolf, with a Snake secondary. Getting Snake back will be nice, but I feel his success was mostly a product of Brawl's environment (in addition to some significant overturning), and thus a Smash 4 Snake would end up much worse. I really want Wolf back however, who I feel really confident in adapting well to Smash 4's environment (especially after seeing how faithful Lucas is to his Brawl self).

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Geno was bigger than her on the internet i am not saying she doesnt exist but she wasnt huge as Geno if we are comparing Geno in brawl days and Shantae in smash 4 days, but hey it wasnt only about smash, and as i said the internet is way bigger than the wiiu/wii owners. also you should remember that Geno has been here way before Shantae exist wich means the old generation knows about him

thats what am i saying, still being memorable and recongnizable even if people doesnt talk about as much they did in the past.

i have seen videos about Geno from European he is kinda recognizeble there but not as much as the other places, also there is another game called MLSSS that has released worldwide wich has Geno in it before VC, i know they didnt buy it because of Geno and its because its awesome and it was their chance to play it and discover it.
I know about M&L Super Star Saga, I've mentioned them before, and when th ending credits for it came up and the rights things for Geno, most probably thought, who's Geno? And again I'll say this, Shantae is more recongised then Geno, because her games made it over here on their original release dates. So effectively Shantae is more recognisable to the general gaming public, then Geno, since her original game made it worldwide, and Geno's didn't.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Sheesh people, who cares which one of them is more "Popular"? Haven't we already established that barely means a thing in these ballots?
They both have very strong followings. Not MASSIVE followings, but followings nonetheless. I love them both, I want them both. It seriously doesn't have to be a competition.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
I know about M&L Super Star Saga, I've mentioned them before, and when th ending credits for it came up and the rights things for Geno, most probably thought, who's Geno? And again I'll say this, Shantae is more recongised then Geno, because her games made it over here on their original release dates. So effectively Shantae is more recognisable to the general gaming public, then Geno, since her original game made it worldwide, and Geno's didn't.
worldwide = the west???

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sheesh people, who cares which one of them is more "Popular"? Haven't we already established that barely means a thing in these ballots?
They both have very strong followings. Not MASSIVE followings, but followings nonetheless. I love them both, I want them both. It seriously doesn't have to be a competition.
Are you implying popularity wouldn't be a factor for DLC?

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, the 3DS version of Smash hasn't been datamined yet. Would it be appropriate to ask @shinyquagsire23 again? I feel like I'm going to bug him, but I am curious...

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Are you implying popularity wouldn't be a factor for DLC?
Oy vey, we had this discussion already...
Yes, it is a factor. No, it is not the PRIMARY factor. And to be frank, even if one of them was more popular they're still both very niche. One is from a popular but very old game, and ONLY that game sans a small cameo, and one came from an indie studio that barely got any recognition until the last few years. They sort of weigh each other out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oy vey, we had this discussion already...
Yes, it is a factor. No, it is not the PRIMARY factor. And to be frank, even if one of them was more popular they're still both very niche. One is from a popular but very old game, and ONLY that game sans a small cameo, and one came from an indie studio that barely got any recognition until the last few years. They sort of weigh each other out.
First of all, I don't remember having this argument before. Second, I was unaware you specifically meant Geno and Shantae with that

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
First of all, I don't remember having this argument before. Second, I was unaware you specifically meant Geno and Shantae with that
My apologies for not being clear on that then. And you probably just weren't here at the time, I just hate repeating the same topics.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm loving Xenoblade but is it bad that without Shulk I'm not THAT interested in the next game?

domokl

Smash Lord
Is there any news on that person who looked like shulk in one of the first trailers?

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
worldwide = the west???
Shanta's original game did make it to Japan right?

Also sorry only just caught up on the thread. Anyway my main point is Shantae is be recognisable in Europe then Geno, unlike the game Geno is in, because her games made it over here their original release dates, let's leave it at that.

Did this go unnoticed? Xenoblade Chronicles X will have American and British voice actors:

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/08/1...-british-voice-actors-for-localised-versions/
So let's focus on this, so does this mean we will actually get more games with English U.K translations? Cause if so it makes me happy. And the European version better have all voice actors from the U.K.

Also guys I just had a though, I know its one you don't want to think about, but we need to. When Charles Martinet passes, who's going to be able to take over for him? I know its morbid thought but with Iwata passing, I feel we need to prepare for this.

And who ever takes over needs to have the mindset of Charles Martinet, that being one of keeping Mario playful and fun, so to keep an appeal to kids.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Chidorita...

Good, bit of a boring day, but I'm going to one of my best friends parents annivesary party at their lakehouse on Saturday. Our other best friend is coming too and I may be sleeping over at his house for a few days.
My name isn't Chidori.

It's Ryoji

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Chrono.

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/i7YeZxnWhEFX6ST-sLdUBGmLoZivzNP5

Looks like the entire Smash line of Amiibos bar Miis/DLC will be playable. I think I also read somewhere that you can unlock the costume without the amiibo if you download a course someone has made.

I can already tell that Day 1 I'll try to remake 1-1 and play it with each Amiibo I own. lol
I only have Pit (and only intend to get Dark Pit) so I'm good.

I hope they literally just recolor Pit's 8-bit sprite black for him lol

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/i7YeZxnWhEFX6ST-sLdUBGmLoZivzNP5

Looks like the entire Smash line of Amiibos bar Miis/DLC will be playable. I think I also read somewhere that you can unlock the costume without the amiibo if you download a course someone has made.

I can already tell that Day 1 I'll try to remake 1-1 and play it with each Amiibo I own. lol
S do we know if there are non-amiibo costumes?

because if not, the thought that Rosalina is "playable" in a 2d mario game before Daisy is hilarious to me.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom