• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This is probably my favorite gif you've ever posted. Mostly because I really like Rupaul's drag race
I've seen a total of 4 episodes but keep meaning to go back to it and binge. Got a few friends and a family member in the drag community, so I got mad respect.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know what's really impressive?

Splatoon is the first Wii U title to hit a million units sold that wasn't a party game or that didn't have a Mario or Zelda Universe character in it.

Other million sellers:

Mario Kart 8
New Super Mario Bros U
Nintendo Land
Super Mario 3d World
Super Smash Bros for Wii U
New Super Luigi U
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Wii Party U
Legend of Zelda WInd Waker HD
Hyrule Warriors

I really hope Xenoblade Chronicles X has enough juice to join this list. I think Star Fox likely will, mainly due to the fact that it will be the Wii U's big holiday title this year.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We don't even know if A+ units are gay, do we? I imagine some will just be best buds.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I'm concerned about how Star Fox Zero will do. From what I recall, there's already mixed feelings about the game and I have a feeling that will interfere with sales. I hope Spazzy_D is right and I hope Star Fox Zero is great but I don't feel assured about both being the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Honestly I'm concerned about how Star Fox Zero will do. From what I recall, there's already mixed feelings about the game and I have a feeling that will interfere with sales. I hope Spazzy_D is right and I hope Star Fox Zero is great but I don't feel assured about both being the case.
People who've actually seen extended gameplay via the tree house seem to love it. I'm fairly confident that a pent up desire for the brand as well as a holiday release would have lead to decent sales even if the game looked terrible, though.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think this might be a reaction to the backlash they got after Tomodachi Life. Maybe.

I'm not sure how Japan meshes with same-sex marriage culturally.
From what I understand they are seen as "training" relationships.

Things that kids do.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
To jump on the Top 10 Favorite Games bandwagon...

1. Mirror's Edge
  2. Super Metroid
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  4. The World Ends With You
  5. Terraria
  6. Super Mario Sunshine
  7. Pokemon Ruby
  8. Metroid Fusion
  9. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  10. Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Those are approximately in order, but not exactly. The further down it gets the more it's an approximation.

As for Fire Emblem allowing same-sex marriage, that's awesome. I'm not even sure if I'll be playing the games, as I'm not as dedicated to the Fire Emblem franchise as I once was, but I'm really excited to see that Nintendo's bringing that into any game.

Khoru

Smash Champion
That's...

That's bizarre.
i think it mainly applies to girls? at least i've only heard it in the context of yuri stuff
that's why a lot of shows like... i don't know, madoka magica, exist
seeing legitimate lgbt representation in japanese media is very rare. they're hyper-conservative for the most part
the only particularly good media i can think of in that regard are revolutionary girl utena and wandering son

oh yeah also sweet blue flowers, maybe. i've at least heard of it

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
"If mother saw this, what would she think..."

This FE dialogue is killing me. It's so funny.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
On a slightly different note, when I posted the link to that Miyamoto NPR interview a few pages back I expected to see more conversation generated. That really didn't happen.

Since no one else brought it up, I'm going to share this quote with you:

"One of the things about Nintendo that's always been interesting is you've never tried to make a more powerful console with better graphics, and all the stuff that the Xbox has done. Can you explain a little why you've kind of stuck with that?

Miyamoto: So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted. But what we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford. And in addition to that, rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use.

And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.

But really what's most important to us is, how do we create a system that is both unique and affordable so that everyone can afford it and everyone can enjoy it."

What's that mean? Well, I think it's pretty obvious that we shouldn't expect the NX to be an ultra powerful platform spec wise.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
On a slightly different note, when I posted the link to that Miyamoto NPR interview a few pages back I expected to see more conversation generated. That really didn't happen.

"One of the things about Nintendo that's always been interesting is you've never tried to make a more powerful console with better graphics, and all the stuff that the Xbox has done. Can you explain a little why you've kind of stuck with that?

Miyamoto: So unfortunately with our latest system, the Wii U, the price point was one that ended up getting a little higher than we wanted. But what we are always striving to do is to find a way to take novel technology that we can take and offer it to people at a price that everybody can afford. And in addition to that, rather than going after the high-end tech spec race and trying to create the most powerful console, really what we want to do is try to find a console that has the best balance of features with the best interface that anyone can use.

And the reason for that is that, No. 1, we like to do things that are unique and different from other companies, but we also don't want to just end up in a race to have the highest-tech specs in a competition to try to find how we get these expensive tech specs to the lowest price of the other systems. And so there's different ways that we can approach it, and sometimes we look at it just from the sense of offering a system that consumes less power and makes less noise and generates less heat, or sometimes we may look at the size of the media and the size of the system and where it fits within the home.

But really what's most important to us is, how do we create a system that is both unique and affordable so that everyone can afford it and everyone can enjoy it."

What's that mean? Well, I think it's pretty obvious that we shouldn't expect the NX to be an ultra powerful platform spec wise.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters
I feel like this isn't really going to hurt them. Their problem isn't the hardware, it's the software. The NX can be inferior to the PS4/Xbone in terms of power, but if they have enough quality games coming out on a regular basis then that should be enough.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I feel like this isn't really going to hurt them. Their problem isn't the hardware, it's the software. The NX can be inferior to the PS4/Xbone in terms of power, but if they have enough quality games coming out on a regular basis then that should be enough.
It needs to at least be on par with the Xbone/PS4 if it's coming out 3-4 years after the launch of those systems. We don't want another Wii U situation, where 3rd parties can play the "parity card" and not support Nintendo's new system when the new Sony and MS consoles launch.

3DS sales are subpar at the moment, so Nintendo can't rely on it to pick up the slack if their new console is a dud. It's a precarious situation, and Nintendo needs to launch a system with the right power, gimmick, and software at a reasonable enough price. They should also be looking into a 3DS successor if the NX is in fact not a hybrid.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.... hopefully their foray into the mobile market can help act as a buffer in this situation.

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Warning, opinions ahead!

My top ten favorite games in no particular order:
01. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- The Music, the art-style, the bosses... All these things are amazing in this game... I simply love it.

02. Rhythm Heaven Fever
- I love this colorful rhythm game... Such wonderful songs! I love it even though I have a horrible rhythm. I really hope I can add a "/Rhythm Heaven 3DS" at the end, when it comes out!

03. Luigi's Mansion/Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
- If I had two chose between the two Luigi's Mansion games, I honestly couldn't decide... Both games have some cons and some pros, if we compere them, I simply love both.

04. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- I didn't play a lot of the original SNES trilogy, but Tropical Freeze is for me one of the most amazing games I played! Just sad that the Kremlings didn't make a comeback...

05. Super Mario Sunshine
- Many People don't like it, because it isn't a traditional Mario like Super Mario 64, but I really enjoyed it, with the wonderful music and the beautiful Isle Delfino... You can see Pinna Park from EVERYWHERE!

06. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
- The closest to an RPG in my list. The biggest reason why I like the Pokémon games is because of the Pokémon, I'm not a lot of a trainer myself. But in Mystery Dungeon you ARE the Pokémon, and I LOVE it. I can't remember a lot of the the first game(s), but I can remember loving Time/Darkness/Sky a LOT.

07. Professor Layton (The entire series)
- There are few games that can let me drop some tears... And, yes, I'll admit it, almost every game did it... I can't remember having a favorite, so I simply list them all.

08. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (3D)
- Majora's Mask was the first Zelda game I completed 100%... 3D... Yes, The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask 3D was the first Zelda I completed 100%. I like most Zeldas a lot, but this one was special for me...

09. Kirby Air Ride
- I don't remember a lot, but when I remember something, it is playing Kirby Air Ride with my Brother when I was young... Good times... which aren't that long ago...

10. Shovel Knight
- I don't know what it is, but Yacht Club Games did it right... Not a lot of games get me to finish them 100%, but I completed Shovel Knight AND the hard mode. But the best part is that the game isn't over yet! There is A LOT of DLC coming in the future! For Shovelry!

There are some other games, that didn't make the list, by just a little... games like Punch-Out!! (Wii) and Super Paper Mario, but, well, maybe when someone starts the "Top 15" trend... :p

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Real quick:

Gay relationships in Japan :

Most people are actually opposed to gay marriage in Japan. However, people are far less open about being gay, and they tend to slide under the radar. There is a gay community, and such but it's not 100% mainstream. Transgender people tend to become performers (I had my first date with my ex at a transgender karaoke snack bar...). Transgender people tend to be the butt of jokes. I haven't heard of active discrimination personally, but being gay is still not 100% accepted.

Historically, Japan has accepted gay relationships in the past but they were treated more like flings. Mostly in the form of senpai / kouhai "training" within the warrior/ upper classes. These weren't really serious relationships. Even though it was still expected to get married to the opposite Sex and have kids for the "good of society."

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

the thing is, it's kinda not surprising and tbh, I'm just fine with this.

Sure, others would be more annoyed, but consider how I enjoy games, I better like nintendo system than having the entire focus on specs.

Like for me, Nintendo will still delivers quality, but like I aid earlier, I understand that people find that they show it in a weird way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom