• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they just straight up went for sexual it would be less creepy IMO

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
replace "he" with "physical contact in a video game"
:p
I SAY... WE TIP SOMETHING OVER!

*Pushes over the Nintendo Treehouse*

...Now what?

...GET THE LOCALIZERS!

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
To be fair, the Pokémon-amie was needed for some evolutions, so it wasn't exactly "optional" in some cases. Same with the Dream Eaters in DDD.

But it's a fair point regardless. Animals vs Humans after all.

Can we all please take these as a sign to step back and breathe for a minute, everyone? Please?

Regardless, to those stepping out, sorry things turned out this way.
And I now suddenly remember that's how Sylveon was obtained lol. Regardless, I still would have liked something different than FE amie.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm gonna ask everyone to calm down. Inflammatory posts from here on in will be infracted harshly. Some people seem to be incapable of debating civilly.

Do not continue to fight. Debating is one thing, fighting is another. Don't even respond to this. Just drop it.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So I think I've found the best way to play Sm4sh:
Have a couple characters maxed out in power with customs and 0.5 knockback. The damage you can rack up from a combo or two is astounding.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've been regularly checking in for more news regarding Pikmin 4.

I've been a huge fan of the little series for many years (I played the sequel when I was really young. Unfortunately, we couldn't find any copies of the first game at the time so I had to go with playing the second game before the first.) and I really liked how Pikmin 3 turned out as well, so I'm looking forward to how they'll expand upon the gameplay, as well as the storyline in the next game.

D

Deleted member

:4robinm:"I said Tip the SCALES. I didnt say anything about tipping over other things!"
Completely unrelated, but that gives me an idea for a comic involving a disgusted WFT seeing a fat Robin "tip the (weight) scales"....

But of course, that brings the whole "inflation" stigma I'm not going for. I just want a sight gag.

EDIT:
Found a better way.
Robin says "Time to tip the scales".

So Dedede, Wario, and Bowser do just that much to WFT's disgust.
:troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Completely unrelated, but that gives me an idea for a comic involving a disgusted WFT seeing a fat Robin "tip the (weight) scales"....

But of course, that brings the whole "inflation" stigma I'm not going for. I just want a sight gag.
Out there, somewhere, you just gave a DeviantArtist an idea.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's context that's key.

With Hateful Eight, it's expected going in. When you watch a Tarantino film, you expect things like that. The violence is part of the package. And for the record, no one in my theater laughed at those parts, but that's anecdotal.
It's also different since both of those characters were antagonists to begin with.
As well, film is a much more established medium with a far larger audience than games.

Games still have a bit of a stigma, no matter how much some try to deny it. Gaming is still much more of a subculture. People aren't going to be as judged when they go see a movie as they would be by playing a game. Fire Emblem, at its core, is an incredibly niche strategy RPG. This isn't even the type of game that goes against the whole "stigma against games" thing, which only the top-billed AAA titles manage to go against.

Naturally, to the general public, especially in a country where things like face-petting random anime-styled people is considered incredibly weird, there will be a stigma. Those things have connotations. Unpleasant, creepy ones. Like, the neckbeard/basement dweller kinds. A harsh reality, but it's the truth. So naturally, people will be turned off by it. They don't want to be associated with that stigma.

It's especially bad for fans of Fire Emblem pre-Fates. It helps promote that sort of stigma in a game series that had managed to avoid it for the most part. It's incredibly divisive even in the series' own fanbase. And it's not even like a pre-Awakening/post-Awakening thing either...from what I've seen, even most of the Awakening fans are put off by the feature, myself included.

I'll still be getting Fates, as I love Fire Emblem. But at the same time, the whole petting thing was always something that made me cringe. How could I take that game traveling while people on a bus can see it? What if they see it and think, "Oh, that's the game with the creepy weeb **** in it" out of earshot? To a lot of people, many people, that matters. It doesn't matter if it's optional, it exists. That's all most people need. This game, for me, would have been a behind-closed-doors guilty-pleasure no-one-can-know type of game for me. The social stigma associated with something like face-petting is too large for me to even consider otherwise. It's embarrassing.

And that's when you realize a feature may not be so great, to say the least. If a good portion of the fanbase is embarrassed to play the game due to the feature being present, it shouldn't be in the game. People can call it an unhealthy self-confidence issue all they like, but I see it more as a natural reaction to this kind of thing going back to basic evolutionary psychology (you get embarrassed about this kind of thing due to the stigma, which goes against the psychological need to fit in and be accepted). That's why, if the rumors are true and it's removed from the localized version, it'll be a huge relief. I'd no longer feel embarrassed to say I enjoy a Fire Emblem game. And honestly, that's a win for me, and likely a lot of other people.

So yeah, that got kinda ranty, and it's not directed at you in particular, but I felt as though I should say my piece.
While I understand this viewpoint, I don't consider this a valid criticism towards the game or developer itself, or a valid reason to demand content be fully removed from a game.

Games don't exist to boost your self-confidence or social standing (they CAN do that but it's not their intended purpose most of the time), or to bring it down, they exist for entertainment and for artists to express a vision.

At the end of the day, if someone is making fun of you for playing a game on the bus or something, it falls on you and you alone to be able to deal with that, be that with just not playing the game on the bus, or shrugging it off and continuing to enjoy yourself. It is not the responsibility of the developer to account for people's personal self-consciousness. Removing content from games (when there are ALTERNATIVES to removing it) because people feel embarrassed to engage in it, is just as much under the definition of pandering, as including sexual content for people who demand sexual stimulation from your game when it otherwise isn't about that (and I don't even think FE Fates does this much beyond some of the dialogue).

Different people play different games under different contexts, and developers cannot and should not be expected to account for this given the amount of responsibilities they already have. It is up to the player to choose to play the game in a context that THEY feel is personally appropriate for them and their environment and lifestyle.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I've been a huge fan of the little series for many years (I played the sequel when I was really young. Unfortunately, we couldn't find any copies of the first game at the time so I had to go with playing the second game before the first.) and I really liked how Pikmin 3 turned out as well, so I'm looking forward to how they'll expand upon the gameplay, as well as the storyline in the next game.
It is really weird hearing about all these NX possibilities, even hearing that Pikmin 4 is practically DONE, yet we still don't even know what the system is.

I honestly miss the giant world Pikmin 2 had. I know Pikmin works better as a speed running, survival kind of game, but there was something really fun about all the dungeons in Pikmin 2. I'd like to see a kind of return to that.

Telling us Pikmin 4 existed and then leaving us in the dark for months was such a huge tease. The fact we haven't gotten any news since is excruciating

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, they probably took the feedback to heart and secretly worked to polish and redesign it, to make a more fleshed out and friendly original spinoff that would appeal to everyone. Seems to have worked to as it got trendy and well received by the trailer pretty fast!
As long as the villain still isn't a blue Pikachu like they originally intended, I think this game should do fine.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

I found a screenshot on the internet

Pikablu is obviously true

You really know how to kick a man in the nuts, don't ya? :p
Im not sure Shadow even has those. They surely aren't visible.

Not much use to GIVE them when you are creating an ultimate lifeform anyway. Unless Gerald was really ****ed up when he created Shadow >_>

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It is really weird hearing about all these NX possibilities, even hearing that Pikmin 4 is practically DONE, yet we still don't even know what the system is.

I honestly miss the giant world Pikmin 2 had. I know Pikmin works better as a speed running, survival kind of game, but there was something really fun about all the dungeons in Pikmin 2. I'd like to see a kind of return to that.
You have no idea how much I would love that.

Back when the game was still pretty new to me, I had ages of fun just farming Pikmin, fighting and collecting enemies and other supplies, exploring the maps, going through all those new caverns, etc. One thing I particularly liked is that nearly every single dungeon floor in the game was randomly generated. The themes would always be the same, but the layouts were always different from one and other, with different placement of treasures and enemies, meaning you'd have to change your strategy and explore something new each time. All things considered and how they could expand on it further with greater technology, I'd love to see the dungeon aspect of the series make a return. And while I wouldn't beg for it to be added, I've always liked the idea of a Pikmin game with a "Cave Editor" so that you could build and create your own challenge levels, and share them through an online feature so that other players could play them.

I wouldn't mind another game in the series with a time limit either though, as long as it isn't like the original. The gameplay of the first one was still great, unique, and what began the series entirely leaving room for more improvement on it, but the 30 day limit always felt kind of suffocating to me. I like how they handled the time limit in Pikmin 3 much better.

Telling us Pikmin 4 existed and then leaving us in the dark for months was such a huge tease. The fact we haven't gotten any news since is excruciating
Agreed. That's why I check every single day. I'm eager to find out more about the game.

On the bright-side, it's probably safe to say it won't be nearly as bad with the wait for Pikmin 3, which I think is a fine example of a development hell.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
As long as the villain still isn't a blue Pikachu like they originally intended, I think this game should do fine.
True, although I think it could still work. I liked the concept people had of the blue pikachu being a hologram by Team Flare, meant to trick the police and frame pikachu for crimes. I still think that somehow it will connect to the maingames. It's also worth noting that the city seems based on Boston and at one point they go investigate a cafe it seems. Which is a reason as to why I think it could go back to XY. Because in XY Team Flare's base is inside a cafe owned by Lysandre. Maybe something similar will happen here. I do think it be cool if we have to take down some big, actual crime syndicate in the game though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Knowing you this isn't sarcasm. I am perplexed and intrigued. And a tiny little bit disgusted.

Playlist came to this song. May as well
Well, I was born male, and identify as female. Is it so odd to have one character that crossdresses?

And no, not sarcasm. No need for it. He's one of my most fun choices. I love his over the top hamminess.

That isn't creepy at all. Not in the slightest.

(Still think he's cool and edgy, Eggman?)
Probably does. :p

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
On the topic of Fire Emblem, and even loosely on Fates:

"Everyone, look at my wares!"
"I build for my friends!"

"Time to tip the scales!....after a burger or two..."

"My path is clear!"

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Pikmin 2 was also my favorite of the series but I do admit there's something satisfying about getting in a full "work day" and completing everything you wanted to do just as the sunset counter kicks in. The Pikmin games are oddly serene and stressful at the same time. It's like taking a math exam but someone's giving you a shoulder rub the whole time. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom