• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo to Shut Down Wii U Production This Year

finalark

SNORLAX
According to Nikkei (a Japanese news site), Nintendo will be stopping the production of Wii U systems this year. Whether or not this means we'll see NX on store shelves this year is up in the air. In other words, we could see a full unveiling of the NX this E3, but not have our hands on it until 2017.

Assuming this is all true and not some misunderstanding via mis-translation, then that means that the Wii U era is officially coming to a close this year. RIP Wii U, you little box of mixed feelings.

Some sauce with this pasta:

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXLZO98745680T20C16A3TI5000/
http://www.gamesradar.com/report-ni...&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_grfb

Rest in Piece. Had some damn fine games on it from W101, to Hyrule Warriors, to Pikmin 3, to Mario Kart, to Smash and the list goes on.

A bunch of bad business decisions made you something much worse than what you could have been

Hopefully Nintendo learned fro your sacrifice and will make the NX great from your the ashes.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I find it strange that we are getting lots of support for it regardless.

Will Wii U games still be made?

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
Im pretty sure they're gonna try and kill the wii u by re-releasing the best games from the wii u for the NX and/or make the NX have very similar operating system and compatible hardware to support all the content in the eshop.... maybe even have backwards compatibility. Thats my assumption.

I find it strange that we are getting lots of support for it regardless.

Will Wii U games still be made?
Lot's?

Legend of Zelda (All but confirmed to also be on NX)
Paper Mario Color Plash (A game only given like 10 seconds of footage)
Star Fox Zero (comes out soon)
Tokyo Mirage Sessions (I shouldn't even need to say it)

Doubt there will be any Wii U announcements at E3 because that would conflict with NX advertisement which would be in full force at the time. Other than that? Not much. Probably forgetting a game or two. But other than that the lineup certainly seems like evidence of the Wii U's imminent ending.

EDIT Man i wish I could double post sometimes :/

I know Nintendo's denial of Nikke's claim will show up here eventually so i'm going to jump one step ahead
https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199788
Read this thread.

Particularly this one
https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198960824&postcount=38

Note that it isn't even a real deconfirmation either. Pretty much just saying WE NEVER SAID THAT!!!

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
This is a good move considering how many unsold Wii U's have been made. If I'm not mistaken, Nintendo made over 9 million Wii U's in 2013, yet only passed the 10 million mark in 2015, meaning that the a majority of the Wii U's made in 2014 and 2015 still have yet to be sold. There really isn't a point in making more Wii U's when they are just gonna pile up on top of the other unsold Wii U's Nintendo has made and wasted money on.

That being said, unless the NX a mobile console, I'm pretty sad that Nintendo is just going to continue to invest its money in a product that is bound to fail after this. I was really hoping that they would instead invest their profits into PC games after the Wii U's failure, but alas.

finalark

SNORLAX
Tokyo Mirage Sessions (I shouldn't even need to say it)
I'm surprised we're still getting this TBH. Given how piss poorly it did in Japan and how controversial it is in the west. Then again, given the game's sales and critical reception I can only assume a vast majority of our eastern counterparts weren't amused either.

I know Nintendo's denial of Nikke's claim will show up here eventually so i'm going to jump one step ahead
https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199788
Read this thread.

Particularly this one
https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198960824&postcount=38

Note that it isn't even a real deconfirmation either. Pretty much just saying WE NEVER SAID THAT!!!
Well, that basically confirms it.

I really don't know if I'm going to be buying an NX. For all I know, it's going to be another under-supported gimmick console that gets discontinued within four years.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Nintendo seems to be REALLY bad with keeping things under wraps lately. Maybe they should stop sending their law ninjas at random youtubers and look to their own people.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Why would Nintendo make PC games? They'd sooner abandon console development entirely and focus on handhelds then go for that...

Even with the Wii U's production ending, I imagine there's still quite a bit of stock left. In this year alone we've gotten TPHD, Pokken, SF0, TMS, PMCS and Zelda U I'm sure is going to release for Wii U and NX, on top of Smash and Splatoon namely still selling. Regardless of their reception they're still pretty high profile titles that I'm sure are all landing on Wii U. I doubt we're getting anything else, though, but I'm positive they still intend on selling Wii Us throughout the year.

Senor Mexicano

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokebub123
3DS FC
3909-7903-4188
As ILOVESMASH similarly stated, if there are still quite a lot of already-produced Wii Us, it'd be an excellent idea to stop production on new ones. It'd save a considerable amount of money for Nintendo, which in turn could be used for the NX.

Does Nikkei.com have any track record of legit leaks in the past?

Why would Nintendo make PC games? They'd sooner abandon console development entirely and focus on handhelds then go for that...

Even with the Wii U's production ending, I imagine there's still quite a bit of stock left. In this year alone we've gotten TPHD, Pokken, SF0, TMS, PMCS and Zelda U I'm sure is going to release for Wii U and NX, on top of Smash and Splatoon namely still selling. Regardless of their reception they're still pretty high profile titles that I'm sure are all landing on Wii U. I doubt we're getting anything else, though, but I'm positive they still intend on selling Wii Us throughout the year.
PC games? Not sure where you got that from on this thread.

It's likely that they'll still sell Wii U consoles, as keeping already produced Wii Us inside Nintendo's warehouses would have no point and would just take up space.

Senor Mexicano

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokebub123
3DS FC
3909-7903-4188
I realized that the article is only completely readable by purchasing a subscription. I'm wondering if the article states where they got this info from after purchasing a subscription.

They do.

But they also have fake claims.
Did a bit of searching, their DSi XL, 3DS, and Wii U leaks all turned out to be true. What were some examples of them releasing false information/claims?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I realized that the article is only completely readable by purchasing a subscription. I'm wondering if the article states where they got this info from after purchasing a subscription.

Did a bit of searching, their DSi XL, 3DS, and Wii U leaks all turned out to be true. What were some examples of them releasing false information/claims?
I don't actually know, but I've heard they got things wrong with certain console information and software?

Senor Mexicano

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pokebub123
3DS FC
3909-7903-4188
I don't actually know, but I've heard they got things wrong with certain console information and software?
I believe I've heard those rumors floating around too. I'll do some more researching to see if it's actually true. I'll edit this post when I find something.

Update: Apparently, Nikkei reported that Nintendo would be adopting Android OS for use with the NX. A Nintendo spokesperson soon shot the rumors down.
Source

Interestingly, Nintendo is currently working with Android OS and iOS to produce mobile based games, such as Miitomo.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm expecting a big Wii U price cut announced along side NX details. Right now, a Wii U bundled with a game averages around $300. I imagine we could see it drop to anywhere between $250-$200 depending on how hard Nintendo wants to push those unsold Wuus.

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
What a shame to see the Wii U go- I was a fairly early adopter relative to many, getting my Wii U in September of 2013. In terms of game quality, it's my favorite Nintendo (and overall) console, despite the flaws it had; such as a less than stellar internet service and the same controller pricing problems the Wii had to an even worse extent (due to more controllers, and controllers that only worked with a few games- looking at you, GC adapter ;)). If this report is true, I hope that Nintendo waits until the NX is released to cut off Wii U production, because a void in an officially available home console, even if small, isn't great news unless people really want the NX.

TryrushDeppy

Smash Apprentice
I really don't know if I'm going to be buying an NX. For all I know, it's going to be another under-supported gimmick console that gets discontinued within four years.
I'll see you there at Best Buy when Smash 5 gets announced. Yuk yuk!

Top Bottom