• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces New 3DS with a C-Stick!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Nintendo has announced the "New Nintendo 3DS" and the "New Nintendo 3DS XL" as part of their launch line up for the Japanese release of Super Smash Brothers 3DS in Japan. The system has a ton of new features which includes a new button - the C-stick! Already confirmed, the C-stick will provide quick-flick options for performing Smash attacks in Super Smash Brothers 3DS. Fans in North America and Europe will be disappointed if they want to see this new feature soon - Nintendo has already confirmed that the system will not be available in those markets in 2014. The Japanese release is slated for October 11th, 2014 in Japan - about 1 month after the release of Super Smash Brothers 3DS. The New Nintendo 3DS system will retail for 16,000 yen ($154) and the XL version will retail for 18,800 yen ($181).

New Features of the New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL
  • Improved 3D - done via eye tracking with the camera and gyroscope
  • Micro-SD card slot on the bottom of the system
  • Game-card slot moved from the top to the bottom of the system
  • Additional shoulder buttons - ZR and ZL join the cast of R and L
  • Power button moved to the front, side of the system
  • A, B, X, and Y buttons re-created in SNES style
  • Screen lighting automatically adjusts based on the lighting in the room
  • Stronger CPU - games should download more quickly
  • NFC Reader for Amiibo
  • A C-stick! Located above the A,B, X, and Y buttons, the C-stick will work similar to the Gamecube version and will be utilized in Super Smash Brothers 3DS, Dragon Quest: X: Online, Final Fantasy Explorers, and Monster Hunter 4G.

Micro SD Card Slot

C-stick above the X button

C-stick reachability for the right thumb

New power button and stylus placement

New ZR and ZL buttons on the shoulders

System automatically adjusts based on the lighting in the room

Amiibo interface included

More powerful CPU

On sale October 11, 2014 in Japan only

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I feel so stupid for recently buying my XL. -__-
Time to cough up money again so I could be up to date and the exclusives, lel

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I think I need this 3DS or smash bros edition...
My wallet is making tears...

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Pretty hype for this, but we need some US/EU release date info.

Also, I still want to know if Smash 4 will be compatible with the Circle Pad Pro. I will literally buy one instantly if the answer is yes.

Doggyfishman

Smash Rookie
Won't be coming to Europe until 2015 :(. Until then I'm sticking with my standard 3DS that I got on release day. Looks like I'll still be waiting a while for that awesome screen size and all the other new features.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I can't wait to ask the gamestop employee for a used new 3ds!

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Why make this but have a Smash 3DS? Ugh. Nevertheless, this just adds in more hope for the Circle Pad add-on, which I'd rather get over this.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Pretty hype for this, but we need some US/EU release date info.

Also, I still want to know if Smash 4 will be compatible with the Circle Pad Pro. I will literally buy one instantly if the answer is yes.
It probably is, these new 3DS pretty much have the Circle Pad Pro's circle pad and Z buttons, just built-in into the system. So judging from that I'm sure Circle Pad Pro will work all the same.

Anyway I'm probably gonna get one of these myself, but only after people try it out before me. That new stick looks incredibly and possibly uncomfortably small, so I'll wait and see what others think about it.

Aerilate

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4227-1589-8863
I think I would've been happy about these new systems if there weren't games exclusive to them.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Spilting the userbase is the worse thing about this. I just got a XL 2 days ago this makes me never wanna purchase another nintendo handheld.

MaxTheDawg

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaxTheDawg
3DS FC
2938-6945-5553
I hope my 3ds xl doesn't become obsolete anytime soon because unless theres some great trade in value towards the new one i wont be getting it

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
They should really change the name. :p
Anyway, when this comes to the US I'm probably buying it. This looks great for playing smash, you can buy templates to change the 3DS color, and more.
Also, Iwata pretty much confirmed Smash 3DS CPP compatibility.

Spinach Ops™

Smashtown, Nowhere
NNID
Spinach.Ops
3DS FC
2809-9932-5572
So , I haven't bought a 3DS system yet , which is awesome in this case . But , I don't want to wait until these new models American release to play Smash ! When is it , Nintendo !? When . :cry:

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 3DS XL
Nintendo 2DS
Nintendo New 3DS
Nintendo New 3DS XL
Nintendo New Super 3DS XL Ultra α ++

in all seriousness, half of the 'new' specs should've have been on the original release 3DS.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
There are exclusives for this? Like what?
Like the games they showed...? Smash 3DS, Monster Hunter 4G, Dragon Quest X, some Final Fantasy game, and most likely the games before this that already had Circle Pad Pro compatibility, like Metal Gear Solid 3 and Resident Evil Revelations.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
Like the games they showed...? Smash 3DS, Monster Hunter 4G, Dragon Quest X, some Final Fantasy game, and most likely the games before this that already had Circle Pad Pro compatibility, like Metal Gear Solid 3 and Resident Evil Revelations.
So is this gonna be the new system? Are all new games getting made for this? I hope not.
edit smash 3ds isnt an exclusive

Last edited:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Can I use the new c-stick to move the aiming reticule in Kid Icarus and save myself from crippling arthritis? lol

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Okay, on the one hand it sucks that this isn't coming out sooner.

BUT, on the other hand, this gives me hope that Smash 3DS will be compatible with the Circle Pad Pro! I will be pretty happy with this if it is supported as well.

And if it's not, that would be an extreeeeemely dumb move by Nintendo.

grandpappy

Where's the beef?
NNID
eyeplaybass
3DS FC
5343-9859-5848
So , I haven't bought a 3DS system yet , which is awesome in this case . But I don't want to wait to play Smash until this new models American release ! When is it , Nintendo !? When . :cry:
If they don't release a bundle with these and Sm4sh 3DS, they're doing something wrong.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
So is this gonna be the new system? Are all new games getting made for this? I hope not.
edit smash 3ds isnt an exclusive
I'm talking about the extra features being compatible for those games, not that they're N3DS exclusives. As far as I know, the Xenoblade port is exclusive because regular 3DS won't be able to run it, but that's about all I know as far as exclusive N3DS games go.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
I'm talking about the extra features being compatible for those games, not that they're N3DS exclusives. As far as I know, the Xenoblade port is exclusive because regular 3DS won't be able to run it, but that's about all I know as far as exclusive N3DS games go.
Oh. Well, I said exclusives as in only on the system. I don't play xenoblade, so that's good (Nintendo better not make a pikmin port)

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Maybe the reason this is selling in Japan only at the moment is because Nintendo isn't dedicated to this. Maybe they are thinking it's gonna crash like the N64 Disk Drive or Virtual Boy

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Phew, I was planning to upgrade to an XL until this beauty was announced. Better wait for this one then. Sorry for the people who recently got a new 3DS.
I guess that this is still region-locked, huh?

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Can Peach perform her down+A while flying without c-stick? If yes i won't buy this, if no i'll buy this.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Ugh, why must they always do this to me? I'm tired of having to buy a new model of Nintendo's handhelds just to get a better experience. All this should've been on the original 3DS.

D

Deleted member

I thought of purchasing a 3DS XL (normal one) and this just changed my mind.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
If this releases next year and I get one, will the data transfer tool allow me to transfer ALL of my internal data so that I can replace my old 3DS entirely?

Zero Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zero_Kirby
3DS FC
3909-7524-8639
Switch FC
SW 7923-7756-9289
Gee thanks Nintendo...

Guess I'm gonna have to grab one of these. On the bright side, it'll make Kingdom Hearts a lot more tolerable to play...

But not until 2015, huh? That's kind of interesting considering the Smash 3DS that's coming out. They're basically selling you an outdated product you'll need to trade in within a few months.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
new 3d technology. sweet, so no more sweet spotting the 3d effect or inverted 3d viewing.

Top Bottom