• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New to SmashBoards not sure if right place to ask for tips?

Kuidaore

Smash Rookie
Greetings SmashBoards! I've recently been having fun playing For Glory on the 3DS with its ups and downs, and I've decided I wanted to main Sheik in this installment of the franchise. I like speedy quick characters, I use to main Fox and Falco but in SSB4 I'm just not a fan of them so I played around with Sheik and fell in love. Only problem is, I'm having trouble with heavier characters and occasionally light characters. My main troubles are the sword-masters Link, Lucaria, Marth and the like. Their range just seems to trump Sheiks in melee range so it's hard to get in, so I've tried to space with Needles and Grenades, Punishing them if they come to me with Grab>D-Throw->Short hop Up-Air and attempt to juggle a bit for %, now while this has had some success (except link, his projectiles and Down Air are impossible for me to deal with) I can't seem to finish them or keep them off the stage unless they mess up royally. The only way I've been able to keep people from coming back is Flying Fish off the edge as they're coming back and hope for the kill and repeat but eventually they catch on and space properly to avoid it.

So TL;DR. I'm looking for some Sheik tips/Combos especially regarding these heavier opponents. I'm pretty below average with her as of now, though she's all I've been playing for the most part, so any tips big or small would be appreciated. Thanks in advance~

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
So first of all, welcome to smashboards, i guess.
Second, I neither know if this is the right place to ask, but I'll answer anyway.
So, about these matchups, I don't have too much experience with them myself, I have yet to see a Marth or Lucina player online (and I played about 150 matches for glory...), but I might share my experiance as a Link player.
So, how to counter a link? First off, learn to powershield all of his projectiles. This is the most important thing to do. Just search online for a projectile spamming Link and try to play a bit defensive, learing to shield his projectiles. Link can be really frustrating to play against if they hit you over and over again with their projectiles.
Then, onto fighting link... you never want to be above him. Never. His Utilt is really good,even combos into itself. Additionaly, his Uair last so long, even if you airdodge it correctly, it will hit you. Same goes for his Dair, however, Dair has a lot of startup time, and Links usually do it really obvious. If Links coming from above, he will Dair, since its his only option (he could wait and go for a Nair, but if you roll away from him, to dodge the Dair, nothing should hit you... I perosnally like to just spam shorthop Nair fastfall, since many players can't deal with it, due to it being incredibly fast. You want to watch out for this). Also, watch out for the second hit of Dair. If you shield it correctly, don't let go on your shield until link touches the ground. I can think of countless times where my opponent shielded my Dair correctly, but got hit by the second strike. You need to learn the timing on punishing this one.

Now, to counter Link, you want to have a "in your face" kind of playstyle. Link has trouble dealing with opponents close up. Especially if they're behind him. His grab is not that great, however his jab is. it's fast- long- and has good range. So never roll away from a Link if hes watching your direction. He will get you with a grab or jab combo. I'd say with Shiek, you need to land an Ftilt or Dtilt. once link is in the air, you can get startet. Your aerials are faster than his (exept Nair, but Shiek Nair and Bair should seal the deal here). Link basicly is combo-fodder. If you are in his face (like mentioned above) theres nothing he can do. Just Fair, nair Dair and even Uair him all day long and they should have trouble.
Now, once Link is offstage, hes very limited in options. If far away or deep down, he will Up-B. His Up-B is fast and has good range, so you really need to learn punishing it (maybe train with CPU's here). Needles and maybe the nade are good to hit him out of it. If Link hes high %, you may want to grab the edge, drop, get under Link and Uair him out of his recovery. This can kill.
If his closer to the edge, you might want to use fair and nair to get him away from it and proceed with what i've described above. Or Use Bair to Stage-Spike him. Link has trouble if hes low. However, you want to do those aerials fast, because he can recover with Zair, and get back on stage. Also, if hes on the Edge, stay away. Many players fail to predict edgedrop fair from Link, I hit this like all the time.

I hope that helps a bit. To the Marth/ Lucina Matchup, as mentioned, I can't say much about it, since i neither see Marth /Lucinas online, nor do I encounter Shieks when playing Lucina :/

Top Bottom