• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique- Magnet Pull

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
I'm having trouble doing the forward one; so I pretty much double jump, PK Fire at the peak, PK Magnet and smash forward immediately afterwards? If it helps any, I'm using the B-Stick scheme.

This is still pretty cool.

Evilpenguin

Smash Cadet
This tech is amazing. I managed to get a kill with it (the PSI magnet part) today. It resulted in my opponent IMing me a slew of curse words.

Thanks for finding a great (and useful) tech!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Although this tech is very flashy I don't see it as being a huge part of Lucas's game. After testing it some more I've found that it's not quite as useful in practice as it first appears. I reminds me in ways of moonwalking in melee. Useful every once in a while for some sweet kills but not something that you will be using all of the time. I also find that it's not quite as good for recovery as it first seems. Yes it gives you ridiculous horizontal motion but once your opponent figures out what you're doing you're pretty vulnerable. As long as they aren't hit by the magnet hitbox they've got a pretty good frame of time to punish you. I don't mean to sound negative here but I think it's important to take new techniques in brawl with a grain of salt. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will be important in the competitive scene. Great job on the discovery but let's wait for some tourneys before we go crazy over it.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Although this tech is very flashy I don't see it as being a huge part of Lucas's game. After testing it some more I've found that it's not quite as useful in practice as it first appears. I reminds me in ways of moonwalking in melee. Useful every once in a while for some sweet kills but not something that you will be using all of the time. I also find that it's not quite as good for recovery as it first seems. Yes it gives you ridiculous horizontal motion but once your opponent figures out what you're doing you're pretty vulnerable. As long as they aren't hit by the magnet hitbox they've got a pretty good frame of time to punish you. I don't mean to sound negative here but I think it's important to take new techniques in brawl with a grain of salt. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will be important in the competitive scene. Great job on the discovery but let's wait for some tourneys before we go crazy over it.
You make a good point, but Magnet Pull has one use, no matter what. The fact that it's a new and different way to recover adds to your options when approaching the stage. I haven't tried the sliding U smash (still can't get it down), but I imagine that will be useful, too.

Regardless of how useful it turns out to be, this is still a sweet find.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I noticed this post before, but am just quoting it to make a note. If the question is risen who first found the Magnet Pull, it would be me, but any credit for the Reverse Magnet Pull should go to Mr. E here.

Upon testing it out (which would probably be easier if I B-sticked; I'm just too use to C-Stick aerials and B-Sticking feels awkward for me) using the reversed version yields epic mindgames (IE: My brother: "STOP JOLTING BACK AND FORTH I CAN'T TOUCH YOU")
>_>

<_<

For the record, you weren't the first person to "find" this. I found out about it by word of mouth before the US release at one of ChuDat's biweeklies. No, I can't prove it. No, I don't remember who told me it, but believe me when I say this is old hat (for me and my friends who main Lucas).

You were the first person to be kind enough to post about it as well as name it, though. Same with Mr. E. Only reason I mention it is because you seemed so intent on giving credit where credit is due that I figured you might want to know that crediting yourself for this isn't entirely accurate.

Not saying you didn't discover it entirely on your own, just letting you know that you did it a few weeks after someone else did.

Also, it doesn't seem too useful to me. It's pretty predictable if you start spamming it. I guess it's not a bad trick to pull out for recovery, though that's the only use I can really see for it. I'm sure you'll find more, but it's still predictable when spammed. I like the reverse magnet rush best (Good, safe edgeguard anyone? Quite possibly the most situational edgeguard of all time?).

Also also, you can do it without the B-stick/C-Spec/Wavebounce/whogivesa****, but doing it with the B-stick requires less time to set it up. All it takes is getting some forward momentum, pk firing backwards, then pk magnet.

Have a nice day, and congratulations for reading through this wall of text! :O

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Also, it doesn't seem too useful to me. It's pretty predictable if you start spamming it. I guess it's not a bad trick to pull out for recovery, though that's the only use I can really see for it. I'm sure you'll find more, but it's still predictable when spammed. I like the reverse magnet rush best (Good, safe edgeguard anyone? Quite possibly the most situational edgeguard of all time?).
I think anything would be predictable if you spammed it, Winnar.
But, regardless of how we individually see its usefullness, it'd be best to
at least keep it in mind.

Manu

Smash Cadet
Interesting post. Personally on the topic about "credit" when a person who doesn't inform the rest of the community they can go f*** themselves and people who take the time to share what they find deserve credit since they are the ones sharing the knowledge.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Interesting post. Personally on the topic about "credit" when a person who doesn't inform the rest of the community they can go f*** themselves and people who take the time to share what they find deserve credit since they are the ones sharing the knowledge.
Well, if someone didn't share the knowledge it would be rather difficult
to prove that they found it first anyway.

But you are right, if someone was just keeping the secret to themselves, then that "credit" won't be worth much when someone else actually shares w/ the community.

But there's no reason gripe over things like that now that it's here for all of us to see.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Well, if someone didn't share the knowledge it would be rather difficult
to prove that they found it first anyway.

But you are right, if someone was just keeping the secret to themselves, then that "credit" won't be worth much when someone else actually shares w/ the community.

But there's no reason gripe over things like that now that it's here for all of us to see.
i agree with you mainly, but this wasn't really a huge discovery, i found this about a week ago, i just don't think it's tremendously useful

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
i agree with you mainly, but this wasn't really a huge discovery, i found this about a week ago, i just don't think it's tremendously useful
Fair enough. We just need to keep these things in mind. As the metagame develops these little discoveries may prove to be more/less useful than we thought at first. That's the most important thing IMO.

napZzz

Smash Hero
wow I can see people maining lucas now just for his glitches because they miss wave dashing and stuff

Top Bottom