• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Series vs Established ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
In this upcoming game there seems to be quite a lot of new series with playable characters. In Melee we got Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers and Game & Watch. Brawl gave us Wario, Kid Icarus, Pikmin and ROB along with the two third party ones.

Before the game's even out or we've even gotten more than 5 characters there's Animal Crossing, Wii Fit and Punch-Out alongside Megaman. In fact we've only gotten one more character from an established series.

I don't think there'll be that many more characters but how many of them do you think will be ones from current series and how many do you think will be total newcomers? My opinion: If there's only 5 more newcomers then I think 3 of them will be charactes from Smash series and two will be entirley new, maybe one a third party.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
They seemed to be keen on revealing entirely new franchise reps for E3 2013, which is the reason the majority of the current newcomers are from new franchises.

I can see there being 4 more reps for established franchises. I think a FE and a DKC newcomer are inevitable, I believe in the Palutena leak, and I also believe in Ridley. We're probably not going to be as stacked on new franchises from here on out as we were before.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
personally i rather hope they give some other nintendo franchises a chance i hoenestly cant guess weather they'll do it or not but it would be nice to see some reps for the likes of chibi-robo, golden sun, advance wars and custom robo

Speculator

Smash Ace
I think they're definitely looking at new series. A lot of the already present series have their main characters pretty much covered, leaving only support and minor characters left. Mario has gone to five, which makes sense as Nintendo's mascot franchise (and since they saw Rosalina as a way to introduce a new mechanic). I could see Pokemon joining Mario at five, Fire Emblem going to three, and the rest of the newcomers being from previously unrepresented series.

I believe in the Palutena leak
I'm surprised so many people do. Palutena is certainly possible, but the 'leaked' images didn't look right at all to me. Her nose and chin were huge from a profile view, and her outline seemed to vary in thickness.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm surprised so many people do. Palutena is certainly possible, but the 'leaked' images didn't look right at all to me. Her nose and chin were huge from a profile view, and her outline seemed to vary in thickness.
The thing with Palutena is that regardless of whether people liked the model or not, it seemed to be entirely original and nothing was so damning as to be able to outright call it fake. People who believe it I'm assuming are just operating on the principle of innocent till proven guilty.

On topic though, I doubt we'll be seeing all that many new franchises. Honestly there's just not that many to draw form apart from obscure or retro ones, and those have always been fairly limited.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
@ Speculator Speculator

To be honest, I actually do like the way her face looks here. I don't think it looks too far off from her Uprising artwork (http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1333865647-01.jpg) here. If you're referring to the image with Mario, she does look a bit odd, admittedly, but I think that could just been a bad off-screen shot.

But about new series, not a very popular opinion at all, but I don't really think there's that many series I'd consider worthy of being in Smash, honestly. I think, in terms of unrepresented series, we'll see the leaked E3 six (Pac-Man, Megaman, Animal Crossing, Punch-Out!!, Mii, Wii Fit), possibly Nazo no Murasame Jō (Takamaru) as the new retro, and that's basically it. All of those except for Takamaru (The retro character of course) are very prominent names. Technically speaking, six to seven new series is quite a lot for this game. I just don't really see minor 2nd party series like Captain Rainbow and Chibi-Robo! getting in.

To quote what Sakurai said once:

When they’re all lined up like this, it becomes obvious that there is roughly 6-year blank before and after Pikmin. While there have been big series since then like "Animal Crossing," "Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day," and "Wii Sports" it does seem that coming up with a completely new character-driven series has gotten more difficult recently.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think that we will get more newcomers from unrepresented series (like Xenoblade, Ninja Castle, and Pac-Man and such) than newcomers from established series. We have been getting newcomers that are representing series that don't have characters and I can see this trend continue onward until the release.

In terms of the established ones... there aren't many too good options. Donkey Kong and Fire Emblem are practically guaranteed to get a newcomer in my eyes due to their success, I'm not too confident for another Metroid or Kid Icarus rep, Kirby and Zelda could get another rep but I don't think that this will happen, and F-Zero is deserving of another rep but it's hard for that series to get one due to the series being under the radar. Every other series that I didn't mention are fine in terms of character representation.

New series have been rising over the years and some are rather popular. I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with more new series newcomers rather than established series newcomers.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I'm still speculating there will be mostly be established newcomers than new series. It's probably just because he wanted them out of the way first.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
4 out of 5 newcomers so far are from previously unrepresented franchises. So, maybe, most new fightes this time around will be from unrepresentad series (either the recent ones, like Xenoblade, or the retro ones, like Panel de Pon).
I think all the series that are already in smash are well represented, it's time to give smaller series a chance.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
One of the earliest things Sakurai said about this game was wanting to bring back older series... But honestly the only newcomer that even kinda fits this bill has been Little Mac. It is possible that he's just getting the previously unrepped franchises out of the way first, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is minimal additions to currently repped series, especially considering the (probably) lower newcomer count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom