• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Samus Techniques Under Pokemon Stadium

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know, this is completely unknown. Though I don't play Samus. Credit also goes to my brother because he helped a lot. @DCW

Videos:

http://youtu.be/gkUzFPJLdIE

http://youtu.be/1BvOm4WgA0c

Concepts

1) Samus can clip through the tree in the fire transformation of Pokemon stadium. First, walk against the left side of the crotch of the tree. You then need to do wavedash toward the center of the tree angling your control less than south east (your control stick should be pressed perpendicular to the lowest right side notch). As soon as you have input this wavedash, press z to grapple. (You will get different results depending on when you input z. I don't understand this mechanic completely.)

2) Recently two unused ledges were discovered under Pokemon stadium.

http://youtu.be/DQdF_EhdKno

http://youtu.be/M1s-2aWXH8o

Geting to the Ledge

Samus can grab the hidden right ledge fairly easily. Clip through the tree, getting the z press timing where the grapple is broken. Drift to the right and up b. If done correctly, you should grab the right hand ledge. Just see the second video.

Once you have grabbed the ledge, things are not as simple as they seem. If you release from the ledge without immediately jumping or air dodging, you will clip through the bottom of the stage which generally leads to death. If you ever cross below the bottom of the stage, you won't be able to re-enter.

We were not able to grab the left hand ledge as it did not seem to be active.

Tricks Under the Stage

The main trick we found is being able to regrab the ledge. This allows for some limited stalling under the stage. This is tricky though. See the second video for examples. How to do it:

1) Release from edge. I pressed sideways.
2) Bomb and immediately press left, toward the center of Pokemon stadium.
3) Hold left completely until the bomb animation has ended.
4) Neutrla jump and drift slightly right.
5) Up b to regrab.

This is difficult to execute. The most dangerous section of the technique is the jump at the end. If you are late, you will bonk your head on the bottom of Pokemon stadium and die. This is not the most difficult portion, however.

For me at least, doing the bomb immediately after dropping from the ledge and drifting completely left is the most difficult part. It is relatively frame tight. Luckily, if you mess this up, you can recover using the bomb. I showed this off in the second video.

There are some other small tricks. To regrab the outer most right ledge from the right hidden ledge, just release, use your jump, and up b. You can also bomb jump to a very limited extent under the stage.

Conclusion

Clipping through the tree and using the right hidden ledge to regain jumps is a fairly safe way to get to the right side of the stage. Stalling for a brief time before coming back up to attack could also be useful.

We never tested if stalling is interrupted by the stage transforming back to neutral. This will require more testing. Hopefully this post is a good start for Samus mains though.

And that's it. Hopefully people take advantage of this. There's some really stylish things to do messing around with the hidden ledge.

Edit: The ledges go away once the transformation is over so you will have to quit stalling after that. Also you can use c stick to drop off the ledge more efficiently.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
lol sick! really appreciated the 2nd video with the develop mode "skeleton view"

Gutiger

Smash Rookie
This is quite interesting. I tried this for a hand-hurtingly long period of time today, and here are some insights. Traditionally when you do the clip into the tree as Samus, you are facing right. I did once get a timing facing right where instantly I went into tumble, but a third of the time the grapple went through the tree annoyingly killing myself, a third of the time I got a normal right facing grapple, and a third of the time I got a grapple that broke after the full extension.

Facing left, half the time the grapple went through the tree and half the time I got a grapple that broke after the full extension, and I never got the instant grapple break in the video. I used the Debug mode collisons only view didn't help me that much since I couldn't consistently get the instant grapple break, but maybe later I can add more info using it. For now, personally if I was in a match where I was in the tree and my opponent was on the right, I'd go for the normal tree clip and if in the extremely rare chance I got the instant grapple break I'd go for this swag ledge if I could react fast enough.

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
I actually used the left facing clip because that's the only one I knew about (I don't play Samus). But using the left facing clip, I would either mess it up completely or get the broken grapple (for the most part of course). I'll have to try the right facing clip.

If you are missing the tree, I think you are significantly too late, though I am not sure of that. If you get the non broken grapple, I think you are still too late, just not as much. To get the broken grapple, you need to be pretty fast. Too fast however and you'll go into a tumble. I don't understand the timings completely. I will say I could clip through the tree and grab the edge fairly consistently. So that part is definitely doable in a real match.

Edit: I believe the different types of grapples depend on your proximity to the wall. So getting the broken grapple facing right would have a distinctly different timing than facing left.

Last edited:
Top Bottom