• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Peach player looking for advice

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
I've been a long time Shiek player, and decided to pick up Peach as a new main or at least secondary main. My main concerns are what are the use-them-every-chance-you-get attacks and tricks that Peaches make the most use of.

All I know so far is her D smash is godly, and her dair and bair are also really great to keep control.

Tips, tricks, things to know/watch out for?

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Her dash attack amazingly gets through whatever the crap I throw at her...

I don't play peach but amazingly, that attack gets through anything I do with marth..I land f-airs on her head as she does them and it still hits me, what an attack lol...

Anyway, learn to foxtrot the d-smash and techchase with it, thats basic and does very well.

DSMANIAC92

Smash Cadet
i just started peach too (from YL) and i find that you should treat her turnips like (Y)Link's bombs, pull one out everytime you get a chance, spamming them can help too. her dsmash IS godly so use it alot. avoid using her smashB. aerials are your main offense (especially neutral and up) i find fair hard to hit with.

EDIT: her forwardA is awesome no matter what object she hits with. i heard the pan does the most damage though? upsmash is good too, i like to use it to start off combos because im not much of a wavedasher or SHFFL'er and i stick to the old school "up" for jump so i have different strats.

X-threilyss

Smash Apprentice
Shiek is my second, so I know a little about both.. maybe i can help

for peach, the most obvious "use-it-every-chance-you-get attack" is definately her turnips.. they're gerat b/c:
1.) they're a projectile.. distance=time for preperation..
2.) they can be used both defensivley and offensivley
3.) Unlike (Y)Link, she can still use some of her attacks while holding a turnip
4.) Also unlike (Y)Link her turnips are reusable

her second "use-it-every-chance-you-get attack" i think is the B-air.
1.) It comes out quick
2.) has more range than the N-air
3.) usually bumps opponents into great places for follow ups.

the D-Smash was mentioned, but i don't think it should be classified as "use-them-every-chance-you-get attacks".. if the D-smash is used TOO much, it becomes predictable.. but don't be shy with it either. And don't forget that D-Smash and crouch cancel should almost always go together.

Now, Some advice for going switching from Shiek to peach:
-Shiek's most valuable attack is probably her F-air. Peach also has a great F-air, but remember that the timing and spacing is very different that shiek
-Peach's Down-B is one of her most used moves, while shiek's is almost never used. Get used to the down B
-Peach has a few techniwues that shiek doesn't: Floating, Double Jump Cancel
-Learn Peach's Floating techniques: Instant float, Float Cancel

hope i was able to help =D

DSMANIAC92

Smash Cadet

for peach, the most obvious "use-it-every-chance-you-get attack" is definately her turnips.. they're gerat b/c:
3.) Unlike (Y)Link, she can still use some of her attacks while holding a turnip

1.) It comes out quick

the D-Smash was mentioned, but i don't think it should be classified as "use-them-every-chance-you-get attacks".. if the D-smash is used TOO much, it becomes predictable.. but don't be shy with it either. And don't forget that D-Smash and crouch cancel should almost always go together.

-Shiek's most valuable attack is probably her F-air. Peach also has a great F-air, but remember that the timing and spacing is very different that shiek
-Peach's Down-B is one of her most used moves, while shiek's is almost never used. Get used to the down B

i know this sounds a bit anal but i suffer from slight OCD and you said "Unlike (Y)Link, she can still use some of her attacks while holding a turnip" that's untrue. while holding a turnip or bomb peach and (Y)Link can use all of their B moves and thats it. attempting to use any A move, results in the throwing of the item in their hand.

Me14k

Smash Lord
i know this sounds a bit anal but i suffer from slight OCD and you said "Unlike (Y)Link, she can still use some of her attacks while holding a turnip" that's untrue. while holding a turnip or bomb peach and (Y)Link can use all of their B moves and thats it. attempting to use any A move, results in the throwing of the item in their hand.
If you are floating with a turnip in your hand, and you do hit 'a' you do a nair, not throw turnip..same with all other aerials

X-threilyss

Smash Apprentice
no, actually it doesn't sound anal.. you just didn't know something.. don't worry about it.. and don't hesitate to ask questions.. i'm sure everyone here will be willing to answer no matter how "noobish" the question is..

and thank you, Me14k, for the clarification.. Yes, while floating, peach can still use all her "A" aerials even if she is holding an item

Kamano

Smash Journeyman

1.) It comes out quick

Wow thanks, That was really helpful. Some of that I already knew, but youi're right about the comparisons between Shiek and Peach, hehe. I find myself trying to use Peach's Fair like Shiek's, which gets me in some trouble, but I'm beginning to break myself of that haibt. Mostly against Falcon, when he tosses me in the air, as Shiek I'd often recover just before he hit me and do a Fair to get him off my back.

I think I'm starting to get the floating techniques down, and they're helping a lot. Only problem I've noticed is that I tend to jump the gun on my instant floats sometimes, and float just above the ground when I really should pause a bit to float head-level with my opponent to do the bicycle kick on 'em.

As far as Turnips, I've had some good luck in the games I played today. One match I pulled a stichface first thing as the match started, then got a beam sword later on, then another stitchface at the perfect time at the end to finish the game. =D I use my turnips pretty often, and the turnip -> dash attack followup is really helpful.

I've been watching Hella's videos for ideas and tricks, and it's helped a bit. I need some practice with the crazy stuff though, like comboing people down from the air with the parasol drop. And whatever it's called where you jump off the stage and bounce a turnip off the side then jump back off the ledge to throw it again.

Also, Peach's f-throw is overpowered. =)

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
I still Fthrow at 80% and higher, then ledge guard.

Things you should familiarize yourself with: (Ill try to list stuff that hasnt been mension, but if it has, sorry in advance)
1) Your Float Hight.
If you are going to float, remember that how high you float depends on the character. Remember that Falcos SHLs are lower than Samus' missles.
2) Turnips and their combos
As you are starting out, know how to use turnips well. They are your best friend. Always C-stick throw, it throws the turnip faster. Some combos that turnips set up: Jump->throw turnip->float->Fair, is a starter combo. Another that works better with special turnips: Jump->Throw->Jump->Catch & throw->Jump->Catch & throw. Catch and throw the turnip while in the air. Works REALLY well against someone who shields a stitchface. Also, it preserves the life of the turnip better. Another thing to note when catching turnips: Everytime you catch a turnip, its catchbox doubles in size.
3)Mindgames
Combine 1 and 2 to create awesome mindgames. For example, if you successfully approach on a SHL falco, be prepared to be shine combo'd. Its exactly what he wants. So cancel the float and airdodge to the ground (Triangle jump style) and downsmash. Same goes for a missle spamming Samus. Incorperate mindgames into your turnip play too. The combo I told you earler: Jump->throw->float->Fair, can become predictable. Eventually, some smart *** is goin to try and catch or shine that turnip. To mindgame them, Jump->Throw turnip backwards (Turning you around in the air)->Float->Bair->followup/techchase. In the event that they shine it, throw it backwards, and waveland a downsmash. If you are lucky, the space animal is holding down on the shine, setting up a huge dammage downsmash.

NOTE: All Float->Arials mensioned are ment to be float canceled. I guess #4 would be float canceling, but theres enough guides to that. Heres the best one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCi5sLn0Bcg

Wow, I didnt expect this to be so long, but I hope it helps you.

Goodies

Smash Apprentice
Welcome and thanx for choosing Peach as a new main!

Peach is an awesome character and has unorthodox style of play compared to other characters. Most of her moveset is fantastic especially her aerials, good grab game and great edgeguarding. You will find her matchups challenging though especially at high levels of play and you'll rely more on tricky edgeguarding, float and grab setups and knowledge of other characters as well.

Keep asking us questions and we'll be more than happy to share our experiences with you.

Top Bottom