• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
Right, this is my point exactly. If anything, it's the KI fans who should be disappointed because Dark Pit is a bit of wasted potential. As a huge fan of KI:U, I'm trying not to speak with any sort of bias, but really, it's difficult to separate yourself from your passion for a game that you really enjoy. If people weren't biased towards series they liked, these arguments would never happen.

Pardon me if I'm missing out on some key information here, but I feel that everyone asserting that Sakurai only put in DP because of being in love with himself, and FOR NO OTHER POSSIBLE REASON, is a little ridiculous. It's not like any of us were there with the development team when they were putting the idea together. Think for a minute: if Sakurai were as obsessed with his own creations as you think, wouldn't he have put more effort into Dark Pit? Instead, the way I see it is that at some point, it was decided that there could be clones that were just minor tweaks, and DP was seen as an easy choice (like Dr. Mario, they didn't even need to get another voice actor for him). Really, there ought to be the same amount of complaining for Lucina and Dr. Mario.

Keep in mind that although DP tends to use different signature weapons, DP's abilities are literally exactly the same as Pit's, exemplifies by the points at which you can play as DP and use any of the weapons in the game. I would say this makes him a perfect candidate for a clone.

With all that aside, if someone else was a clone instead of him, who could it be that wouldn't lead to more complaining? If Dark Samus was a carbon copy of Samus instead of having her own abilities, you can bet people would cry foul. I imagine people would consider her ruined forever, given that Ganondorf has mostly been a CF clone ever since his introduction.
The problems with Dark Pit's inclusion are
-he was included over other, better clone candidates
-his super small series inexplicably has three playable reps
-for all intents and purposes, he's visually identical to Pit, which is lame (possibly even confusing)

Why Dark Pit was selected over, say, Alph is baffling. While Lucina has a couple small things going for her (great color alternates, more female representation), you're right that Lucina is lame and should be getting more criticism. Full disclosure, I think Awakening and Uprising are both pretty awful.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Andy and Sami are candidates in the OP. I already gave Andy my vote.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to turn into an argument. I just wanted to give my vote and then people replied, and I cannot shut up when I feel like I've been directly insulted. Sorry.
Dude I don't even know how to talk to you. How can I say this without being mean? I really am sorry that I insulted you. Hmm...
Basically, you contradicted yourself in every way, you were kinda hating on one of my favorite characters for a mega weak reason, your logic was horrible, you ignored that Dark Samus and Samus were actually very different to help your case( and didn't even bother to check), and wouldn't give up and I just couldn't help myself. I am sorry. That's just how I am. Also clones are actually good for chances and you just ignored that too so that's another contradiction to you ignoring that they are in fact very different. See, this is what I'm talking about. Your contradictions HAVE CONTRADICTIONS. Can you at least understand why this gets to me?

+1 vote:
- Dark Samus -- would be an awesome clone, and technically Ridley's already in the game
- Dixie -- she is the other very iconic DK character, and I think she would be great
- Tails -- Mario has Luigi, I think Sonic deserves to have Tails. His Up B would be different at least
- Pokemon Trainer -- I love the idea of him throwing Pokeballs.
- Malon/Cremia -- Not a popular choice, but I think she would be a cool clone mix. Mostly based off of the model of Peach (there's a mod of this already). Instead of Toad she uses a Cucco to counter (don't hit a Cucco), but this is her Side B. Her Up B would also involve gliding while holding a Cucco, like Snake's Up B. Her Netural B is firing an arrow from a bow just like Link. And her Down B is Sing, like Jigglypuff but could have a different effect.

+1/2 vote:
- Bowser Jr.
- Toad
- Skull Kid
- Tetra
- Krystal
- Black Shadow/Ganondorf
These are exactly the kind of votes I am vainly trying to avoid. You seriously voted for every character that doesn't deserve votes. Bowser Jr is in Smash 4, Krystal is not unique or important, Black Shadow is gay and so would Canondorf unless thay went Triforce Mod way, Tails is 3rd party, Pokemon Trainer never fights and he would never throwPokeballs, Dixie is in Msahs 4 DLC, Toad is semi clome of a character that has a semi clone and is the most secondary you can get...

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Seriously @ leekslap leekslap , you need to calm down. People have opinions and they have the right to vote for whichever characters they please. This individual hasn't even downvoted anybody. You are seriously just bashing on them for voting for who they would personally enjoy.

Your posts are seriously getting to the point to where they're becoming detrimental to the thread. You've already been asked by mods to bring this to a close, and if you seriously need to continue these discussions, please take it to private messages.

Thank you.

The Village Idiot

Smash Rookie
NNID
awesomeguy1300
If voting is still happening (which I assume it is)

+1 vote:

Dixie Kong
Black Shadow/Ganondorf
Ridley

+1/2 vote:
King K. Rool
Samurai Goroh
Lyn
Andy
Isaac
Tom Nook

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
+1 Vote:
Isaac
Bowser Jr.
:4bowserjr: isn't a candidate anymore.

While I'm here again, though, may as well leave my half-votes;

+1/2 Tom Nook
+1/2 Ray
+1/2 Ridley (retracting my previous downvote)
+1/2 Liquid Snake
+1/2 Waluigi

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Seriously @ leekslap leekslap , you need to calm down. People have opinions and they have the right to vote for whichever characters they please. This individual hasn't even downvoted anybody. You are seriously just bashing on them for voting for who they would personally enjoy.

Your posts are seriously getting to the point to where they're becoming detrimental to the thread. You've already been asked by mods to bring this to a close, and if you seriously need to continue these discussions, please take it to private messages.

Thank you.
Fine. I edited all my posts to more clearly express myself, I already said sorry 4 times and I'm not ever coming back to this thread. Why? Because 1 my logic isn't getting to people and then they get after me. And 2 I'm sure the PMDT is much more thoughtful than SOME of the people in this thread and won't dissapoint. By that logic this thread shouldn't have long arguments about Dark Samus . EDIT: There. Happy? Just gonna bring up some stuff one more time. Lances, axes, spears,etc.are NOT that different from swords. Being female is not a pro because this is not Smash 4. We all have our favorites but in the end we'll end up using characters even though we never played their game and that applies to this too (as in movesets matter more than looks *cough*Saikyoshi *cough*). Unless they go Triforce mod way, Canondorf wouldn't be nearly as fun and Black Shadow isn't manly and is kinda cheesy. Issac, K Rool, and Andy are musts if the Ridley/Chorus Men/Impa/Dixie/Mewtwo DLC leak is real but I'm not voting here. This is NOT smash 4. People complain all the time aboit pokemon having too much representation so why would you vote for Pokemon Trainer? I've actually played Star Fox Adventures and trust me, Krydtal is not really worth it. Her moveset would be pretty darn generic. Last time I come here.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Fine. I edited all my posts to more clearly express myself, I already said sorry 4 times and I'm not ever coming back to this thread. Why? Because 1 my logic isn't getting to people and then they get after me. And 2 I'm sure the PMDT is much more thoughtful than some of the people in this thread and won't dissapoint. By that logic this thread shouldn't have long arguments about a small thing but I just need people to think. Why don't people think? I mean you'd think- *sigh*. I'd like to point out I'm 12 years old. Make what you will of it.
A line needs to be drawn by logic and opinion. I haven't been actively following your posts but your last post to Mewtwo was rude. You claim that you have logic but the reasoning you give towards Black Shadow/Ganondorf is that Black Shadow is gay...really? What kind of logic is that? How does one even reply to that? That's you throwing your opinion as fact and making yourself seem like you're the most all knowing person in this thread. Don't believe me? Your reasoning for Dixie is that she's in Sm4sh's DLC, when there is no definitive proof that there is even DLC planned for Sm4sh. So once again you're throwing your opinion of a "leak" as fact and having others believe something that isn't even true (at this present time). For Krystal, even though she is controversial and hated by many, you have no right to criticize someone's vote for her. I have not played the Star Fox game she came from but all I know about her is that she wields a staff and has access to telekinetic powers, if that's not potential to have a unique moveset I don't know what is. For Tails, there is no rule that states third party characters can't be voted on, even though difficult to implement due to copyright issues, if the PMBR haven't eliminated them from the choices you shouldn't either. Finally Pokemon Trainer, I personally think he wouldn't work in this game because pokeballs are already an item and that's a ton of articles being used for Pokemon Trainer if he were to be a summoner-esque character, but your reasoning doesn't stick. There are characters in Smash that don't fight and they are in the game (ex. Wii Fit Trainer).

If you want to leave this thread, I won't stop you but I refuse to have you leave thinking this thread is incompetent when your logic is also flawed and not absolute. I suggest you take a break from this thread because there are times where it can be toxic like a couple days ago (haven't exactly read the posts so I don't know when) but this community as a whole isn't as bad, ignorant, thoughtless, or stupid as you think

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
A line needs to be drawn by logic and opinion. I haven't been actively following your posts but your last post to Mewtwo was rude. You claim that you have logic but the reasoning you give towards Black Shadow/Ganondorf is that Black Shadow is gay...really? What kind of logic is that? How does one even reply to that? That's you throwing your opinion as fact and making yourself seem like you're the most all knowing person in this thread. Don't believe me? Your reasoning for Dixie is that she's in Sm4sh's DLC, when there is no definitive proof that there is even DLC planned for Sm4sh. So once again you're throwing your opinion of a "leak" as fact and having others believe something that isn't even true (at this present time). For Krystal, even though she is controversial and hated by many, you have no right to criticize someone's vote for her. I have not played the Star Fox game she came from but all I know about her is that she wields a staff and has access to telekinetic powers, if that's not potential to have a unique moveset I don't know what is. For Tails, there is no rule that states third party characters can't be voted on, even though difficult to implement due to copyright issues, if the PMBR haven't eliminated them from the choices you shouldn't either. Finally Pokemon Trainer, I personally think he wouldn't work in this game because pokeballs are already an item and that's a ton of articles being used for Pokemon Trainer if he were to be a summoner-esque character, but your reasoning doesn't stick. There are characters in Smash that don't fight and they are in the game (ex. Wii Fit Trainer).

If you want to leave this thread, I won't stop you but I refuse to have you leave thinking this thread is incompetent when your logic is also flawed and not absolute. I suggest you take a break from this thread because there are times where it can be toxic like a couple days ago (haven't exactly read the posts so I don't know when) but this community as a whole isn't as bad, ignorant, thoughtless, or stupid as you think
Is Bruno in this game?

I wanna fight with some ****ing poke-chucks.

If not, Red needs Poke-Chucks.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman

In light of all of the heated debates in the thread lately (Don't worry, I know this isn't you),
I'll just leave this here and move on...

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
+1 Chibi-Robo
+1 Isaac
+1 Waluigi
+1 Pokémon Trainer
+1 Andy

That's all I've got. I wonder if Chibi-Robo has enough votes to have a slot on the Roster choices...

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
Yo, I'm very sorry that this is off-topic, but does anyone here have a Project M Dr. Mario icon?

....No? No talented artists?

......The Ridley thread had talented artists. :(

Last edited:

kazan

Smash Apprentice
+1 Pokemon Trainer
+1 Isaac
+1 Claus
I sort of came up with a moveset for Pokemon Trainer:
Neutral B: Hmm..I've been thinking about this for quite a while now. I find that it is a little overpowered if he was able to use a Pokeball item. This is quite debatable, but he can use the same mechanics that Wario uses for "Wario Waft" (fart move) Red could have the ability to throw rocks (safari zone), and after some time (should be longer than Wario's), he could have the ability to throw a Pokeball.
Side B: A bike? That was my original plan, but I'm not quite sure about his one either. Since Wario's bike did get cut from PM. Maybe he can just ride it one direction, and jump off.
Up B: My first idea is a fishing rod, a tether recovery for Red. My second idea is Red showing off his iconic HM animation, and a bird silhouette grabbing him and flying up, similar to Snake.
Down B: Red uses his Pokeflute to make any players around him fall asleep, just like Jigglypuff.
Grab: Fishing rod, similar to Link.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
+1 Pokemon Trainer
+1 Isaac
+1 Claus
I sort of came up with a moveset for Pokemon Trainer:
Neutral B: Hmm..I've been thinking about this for quite a while now. I find that it is a little overpowered if he was able to use a Pokeball item. This is quite debatable, but he can use the same mechanics that Wario uses for "Wario Waft" (fart move) Red could have the ability to throw rocks (safari zone), and after some time (should be longer than Wario's), he could have the ability to throw a Pokeball.
Side B: A bike? That was my original plan, but I'm not quite sure about his one either. Since Wario's bike did get cut from PM. Maybe he can just ride it one direction, and jump off.
Up B: My first idea is a fishing rod, a tether recovery for Red. My second idea is Red showing off his iconic HM animation, and a bird silhouette grabbing him and flying up, similar to Snake.
Down B: Red uses his Pokeflute to make any players around him fall asleep, just like Jigglypuff.
Grab: Fishing rod, similar to Link.
Not enough Poke-chucks

Allornothign :c

Cpt.

Smash Lord
So the big thing here is that some of these clones could easily just be costumes and that would be fine. Those characters would be Shadow, Black Shadow, Ninten, Dixie. However, some of these characters can take the spot of characters and give a chance for a new moveset to the original character
Ninten = Ness w/ New Set
Black Shadow = Ganondorf w/ New Set

The ones that are by far the most deserving in my opinion are
+ 1
Skull Kid, Black Shadow/Ganondorf, Ridley, Paper Mario, and Dark Samus

The ones that could become characters that aren't as important are
+ 1/2

Krystal, Red, King K. Rool, Ninten WITH a redone Ness moveset, Isaac

Characters that should not be brought into the game before the above characters
Waluigi: Is not important enough to the Mario franchise to get a spot

Toad: Too generic plus he is part of Peach's move. I know that you can play as "Toad" in several Mario games, but he is still a generic character.

Pichu: Not important to pokemon.

Dixie: K. Rool is more important to the DK franchise because he represents the villains. The hero side already has two reps

Samurai Goroh: Black Shadow would be a better rep since his moveset is already in the game as Ganondorf and adding in Black Shadow would improve Ganondorf as well.

Lyn: There are plenty of more unique FE characters to choose from if we wanted another rep, but FE already has 3 in PM

Hector: Ike is getting a Hector costume

Sukapon: Just fix up the current Retro's instead. Ice Climbers, G&W and R.O.B. all need some buffs. I'd rather not add anymore retros and just fix the ones we have.

Tails: 3rd parties don't need multiple reps especially from the same game
Knuckles: ^
Shadow : should just be a cotume ^

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
So the big thing here is that some of these clones could easily just be costumes and that would be fine. Those characters would be Shadow, Black Shadow, Ninten, Dixie. However, some of these characters can take the spot of characters and give a chance for a new moveset to the original character
Ninten = Ness w/ New Set
Black Shadow = Ganondorf w/ New Set

The ones that are by far the most deserving in my opinion are
+ 1
Skull Kid, Black Shadow/Ganondorf, Ridley, Paper Mario, and Bowser Jr.

The ones that could become characters that aren't as important are
+ 1/2
Dark Samus (if no Ridley)

Krystal, Red, King K. Rool, Ninten WITH a redone Ness moveset, Isaac

Characters that should not be brought into the game before the above characters
Waluigi, Toad, Pichu, Dixie, Samurai Goroh, Lyn, Hector, Sukapon, Saki, Tom Nook, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow
Gotta give actual reasons for negative votes, and Jr. isin't eligible anymore.

Also, Paper Mario before Saki? I'm inclined to ask what you're smoking.

Mushguy

Smash Cadet
My 2 cents here: While I appreciate that Project M is keeping the transformation move for Zelda/Sheik, there still will be players who are comfortable with playing with one single form. My suggestion for them: Impa (OoT) with SS Impa or even a Sheik cosplay as an alternate costume, and Young Zelda/Toon Zelda. Let's see how this will turn out.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Thanks for dropping by and voting Cpt. I'm currently at work atm but there are some things I need to discuss with you about the reasoning for your downvotes. I should be able to post again not too long from now when I go on my lunch break.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Wow... This thread. Can't believe I read that communist as hell opinion about consumer creativity versus developer creativity in THIS thread... LoL

Anyway, the reason I am posting now is because I want to down vote the HELL out of Young Link.

Why? Because his inclusion would be as stupid as putting Doc in Smash 4. Oh wait...

Seriously, PM dev team handled the Mario versus Doc thing PERFECTLY! In Melee they where two great characters with slight and modest tweaks between the two and by the combing them you literally have the best of Doc and Mario. Why Smash 4 doesn't do this is beyond my capacity to rationalize.

Now for Young Link. If you go to PM's website and read Toon Link's bio it clearly states Young Link and Link 64 was put into PM's Toon Link. Young Link's Fire arrows and Flame Spike Dair are in Young Link already. So why do we need a THIRD Link that ISN'T A WOLF WITH ANY IMP ON HIS BACK!? Young Link is already there in Toon Link. As a HUGE LoZ fan even I can agree with have 3 versions of one character, especially if all 3 are human. I wold love Mikaiu Link, or Dorami Link, or Deku Scrub Link, and would especially LOVE Wolf Link but they are stretches. Adding Young Link? No. He would require such an over haul to keep him and Adult Link viable you would have to ask if it really worth the effort especially since he is incorporated into Toon Link. Than there is the work involved in separating Toon Link from Young Link if Young Link was in PM. So that is 3 characters they would have to re work in order to create viability between the three so no one is objectively better than the other and they all feel different in there own right.

-1 Young Link

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
You didnt really have to write all that down, because the dev team wouldnt really waste a slot on young link, even if he had the highest amount of votes

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Alright Cpt. There are few things I have to go over with you about the rules for negative votes.

You shouldn't vote against a character based on another candidate that has yet to be included. Instead, you should describe why that character doesn't deserve the spot over the other. You did this with your Dixie vote for instance, backing up your claim with how it would over represent the series heroes with no sign of a villain.

You didn't do this with Goroh or Nook though. I would appreciated it if you could go into more detail why you wouldn't like to see these characters make it in.

I'm glad to see you've removed your Saki downvote. Your not supposed to vote against characters just to improve others chances. Your vote on Sakupon is a little vague though, what do you mean by it?

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Alright Cpt. There are few things I have to go over with you about the rules for negative votes.

You shouldn't vote against a character based on another candidate that has yet to be included. Instead, you should describe why that character doesn't deserve the spot over the other. You did this with your Dixie vote for instance, backing up your claim with how it would over represent the series heroes with no sign of a villain.

You didn't do this with Goroh or Nook though. I would appreciated it if you could go into more detail why you wouldn't like to see these characters make it in.

I'm glad to see you've removed your Saki downvote. Your not supposed to vote against characters just to improve others chances. Your vote on Sakupon is a little vague though, what do you mean by it?
Yeah I wasn't really thinking when I posted some stuff. I fixed it up some more. I don't dislike Tom Nook so I took him out of the - votes.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Wow... This thread. Can't believe I read that communist as hell opinion about consumer creativity versus developer creativity in THIS thread... LoL

Anyway, the reason I am posting now is because I want to down vote the HELL out of Young Link.

Why? Because his inclusion would be as stupid as putting Doc in Smash 4. Oh wait...

Seriously, PM dev team handled the Mario versus Doc thing PERFECTLY! In Melee they where two great characters with slight and modest tweaks between the two and by the combing them you literally have the best of Doc and Mario. Why Smash 4 doesn't do this is beyond my capacity to rationalize.

Now for Young Link. If you go to PM's website and read Toon Link's bio it clearly states Young Link and Link 64 was put into PM's Toon Link. Young Link's Fire arrows and Flame Spike Dair are in Young Link already. So why do we need a THIRD Link that ISN'T A WOLF WITH ANY IMP ON HIS BACK!? Young Link is already there in Toon Link. As a HUGE LoZ fan even I can agree with have 3 versions of one character, especially if all 3 are human. I wold love Mikaiu Link, or Dorami Link, or Deku Scrub Link, and would especially LOVE Wolf Link but they are stretches. Adding Young Link? No. He would require such an over haul to keep him and Adult Link viable you would have to ask if it really worth the effort especially since he is incorporated into Toon Link. Than there is the work involved in separating Toon Link from Young Link if Young Link was in PM. So that is 3 characters they would have to re work in order to create viability between the three so no one is objectively better than the other and they all feel different in there own right.

-1 Young Link
I never understood the 3 of a character argument, if they play differently who cares? Young Link could be made unique so I don't see the problem to the point of down voting. You're entitled to your opinion so it doesn't really matter, but you make the argument for Wolf Link, when he's link too. By that Logic we should have Dark Samus since it'd be 3 samus.

Hey Rule guys, Can I use that a legitimate vote against Dark Samus if he can use that for anti young link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom