• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl --> Smash 4 Character Moveset Changes Side-By-Side

Should I do the rest of the cast?

• Yeah!

Votes: 179 97.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Thanks for the votes - you guys seem to want me to do the rest of the cast. I'm still not sure there's enough demand to complete this series though for the work/time it took. I may do it out of passion but if I'm not helping anyone, then it loses part of the point of doing it. Let me know if I'm wrong! :)

Last edited:

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
the thread probably just needs to be bumpped a bit, im sure people would love to see this

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. Is there a better and more fitting place to post this?
maybe do a (recently added: [fan favorite]) in the title to get a bit of traffic to the thread unsure who you should pick to do next
Edit: sorry completely ignored your question, i think this would be the best place for it

Last edited:

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
I agree. Everytime you finish a new video add it to the title, I guarantee that will keep the thread very active. A huge improvement would be to show the percentages done. Also, do Tlink. Plskthnx.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd suggest covering at least a character from each major series before going on to more from a series. For instance, after Mario, do others like Link, Marth, Ness, Fox, etc, instead of doing Luigi, Peach, and Bowser immediately.

Conda

Thanks to all of you guys for the feedback. I'll definitely do this - link and pikachu will probably be next, and many players are familiar with them at this point due to the demo.

More will come if it seems people want them and if people let me know. :) Otherwise, there's a whole list of videos i'm excited to work on for you guys.

I'd suggest covering at least a character from each major series before going on to more from a series. For instance, after Mario, do others like Link, Marth, Ness, Fox, etc, instead of doing Luigi, Peach, and Bowser immediately.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Some moves are visually the same but different in function, like how Toon Link's down aerial now pierces opponents instead of bouncing off of them. Are you going to show this sort of stuff off?

I liked the video, it was well put together. Will watch the others. :)

Conda

Some moves are visually the same but different in function, like how Toon Link's down aerial now pierces opponents instead of bouncing off of them. Are you going to show this sort of stuff off?

I liked the video, it was well put together. Will watch the others. :)
I think that, since the strength of the video is mostly direct animation/speed/recovery comparison, keeping it simple is best. Thas what makes them interesting - detailed comparisons about how each move works is more of a textual thing, in terms of the best way to learn that.

I'll get to work on Link next, he's a very interesting case in SSB4.

Thanks again for the support, I hope my work is paying off in some way to the community.

Last edited:

Conda

I agree. Everytime you finish a new video add it to the title, I guarantee that will keep the thread very active. A huge improvement would be to show the percentages done. Also, do Tlink. Plskthnx.
Thanks, this is good advice. This community rocks, super supportive and helpful.

Last edited:

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
i think when you do ness you should also do lucas maybe? just because he has lucas's alts. i dont think you should cover all alts we already have a thread for that but since lucas is completely recreated in ness's alts maybe you should do that set?

leave a like if any of you all agree. maybe this is just a dumb idea

Conda

i think when you do ness you should also do lucas maybe? just because he has lucas's alts. i dont think you should cover all alts we already have a thread for that but since lucas is completely recreated in ness's alts maybe you should do that set?

leave a like if any of you all agree. maybe this is just a dumb idea
Ness only shares Lucas's pk freeze, pkt, psi magnet, and pk fire - all as custom moves. There's not much that would be helpful to compare moveset wise, so I'd rather stick to completing the already massive list of veteran videos if this gets decent enough reception.

Maybe eventually down the road I'll compare lucas and ness's specials together to see the changes, but they aren't really similar at all - pk freeze just looks like a blue pk flash, for example. :p

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Do one of Megaman and have his NES sprite doing the same things in the bottom window. ;)

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I actually wanted something like this for a while, but with 64, melee, brawl and Smash 4 all compared at the same time.

Last edited:

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
I would greatly enjoy seeing a comparison between Marth's Brawl and Smash 4 incarnations, thanks for doing these.

Conda

I would greatly enjoy seeing a comparison between Marth's Brawl and Smash 4 incarnations, thanks for doing these.
Yeah, characters like Marth and Ness who have undergone some slight but meaningful changes will be very interesting. Can't wait to do Bowser too. Hopefully I get to read more comments to get a sense if people find this project helpful or interesting.

Last edited:

Conda

Just an update: I will be uploading the next video in this series - Link - for you guys in a day or two.

Conda

Newly Added on 9/27:
Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAiuNM3GNI

Sorry it took so long, but here's Link! The hyrule warrior returns in Smash 4, with a host of both subtle and impactful changes, such as his grapple and dash attack, that give Link players something to get excited about for sure.

Conda

-delete please-

Last edited:

Conda

I've got Pikachu in the works but might stop there, doesn't seem like people want to see this.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
I love you so much for making this <3

Conda

I love you so much for making this <3
Thanks :) The reception isn't too positive though (not many people watching them), so I may be forced to stop working on them. These videos specifically are so time consuming to create! :p I'd love to complete the series though

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Update: Pikachu!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwfBmOF11_Y

I'll be busy at work upon the 3ds release with many things. If I should continue doing this series for the rest of the veterans, please let me know.
Pikachu is looking a lot more sleek with his animations- especially with Thunder.
Wait....are they referencing Lightning Rod..? (Pikachu's Hidden Ability)

Conda

Pikachu is looking a lot more sleek with his animations- especially with Thunder.
Wait....are they referencing Lightning Rod..? (Pikachu's Hidden Ability)
Haha I'm not sure :p Pikachu's animations are definitely much smoother and more fluid, though.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Shielding In 4 looks like its faster vs brawl

Pikas fair also has a spike if you fast fall it. Im still poking arounds to see how that works

Last edited:

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
I've started a video series that illustrates the differences and changes characters have undergone from the transition from Brawl to Smash 4. These take a huge time investment and work to create, but hey, that's what I do.

So here you go! Let me know in the comments what character you'd like me to do next. Eventually all of the characters will be complete, so check back often!

Mario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x64DfeSlBvc

Newly Added on 9/27:
Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAiuNM3GNI

Newly Added on 10/1:
Pikachu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwfBmOF11_Y
Thanks for taking all the time to do this

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I love that Pikachu feels a bit more fluid this time around. Only thing is I think his Thunder Jolt seems to come out a fraction of a second slower.

SmashBear

Smash Cadet
NNID
PotatoMunches
I feel like Bowser is ALOT more stronger this iteration firstly is because his Forward Smash fully charges can kill at 30 percent and his Bair is just super strong overall it also seems he is much faster.As for Zelda she seems her dins fire has a bigger explosion radius and a little bit faster overall its interesting to see all the characters changes in actions takes again for doing this :4bowser::4zelda:

Pebbicle

Smash Cadet
I don't know man, the idea is great, but the characters are too far away from each other to get a proper view of the differences and such... Maybe if you cropped the videos even further, or zoomed out perhaps, it would be easier to see without having to turn your head back and forth.

Still cool though!

Conda

I don't know man, the idea is great, but the characters are too far away from each other to get a proper view of the differences and such... Maybe if you cropped the videos even further, or zoomed out perhaps, it would be easier to see without having to turn your head back and forth.

Still cool though!
The problem is with how Smash changes the part of the screen you're on as you jump, run, and so forth. In order to do that, I'd have to pan-and-scan both video feeds differently. There's only so much time I can spend on these as it'd take days to do each video like this. As it is, I've made sure to spend approx at least a day's worth of shooting/editing on each video. I think the end product is really cool for seeing how your main has changed from Brawl to Smash 4, which is the point. For frame-data and more precise things, a spreadsheet with numbers is generally more helpful.

These are just for seeing the changes in the movesets. Too often we focus on numbers and damage and frame info, but we forget that these are characters with cool animations. For example, Dedede's shows how they changed what his hammer-attacks are and how his jump height is different etc - those changes are cool to see side by side. I'm free to pause and rewind and such of course since it's youtube and not a livestream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom