• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need ideas

ACrawford69

Smash Rookie
NNID
ACrawford69
3DS FC
2707-2321-8560
So the controller I use is an original GameCube controller. A purple controller. Tap jump being a default setting in melee has always bothered me. Its not the setting itself. I know this because when I pause the game, the screen automatically moves up. My analog stick is messed up by being tilted, which makes it extremely easy for me to accidentally jump. Any ideas of what I could do? Please don't say anything like buy a new controller. I like mine, I just can't play melee with it.

MKarma

Smash Cadet
Open it up, clean the stickbox. If that doesn't work you might have to replace the stickbox (which is no easy feat) or I hate to say it; get a new controller. Even if you get a new controller you could always swap out parts to get as close to your OG controller feel as possible.

o0silentshadow0o

Smash Cadet
Look, this is the reality. All controllers that are used by Melee players have and will be replaced multiple times (unless tech skill isn't a concern of yours, then you can keep the controller). Controllers wear out, and it becomes more difficult to preform certain actions (that's why I already have a back up controller, for when my current one wears out). My advice is build a controller that is as close as possible to perfect, soooo make sure it can shield drop, dash, and pivot well. Then keep that as a standard, so when you switch controllers, you don't need to readjust from the change.

20XXwingleborgXxx

Smash Apprentice
Try to reset youre controller it has worked for me sveral times.
I also had the same problem for some months ago, luckily it dissaperd xD

EasilyDistracted54

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2363-5722-4046
You really only have two options. Clean and repair it, or purchase a new controller.
I'd choose the latter, unless you really want to use that controller.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
I'll be replacing the stick box on one of my original gc controllers soon, I don't wanna replace it since i consider them sort of antiques as they came with my two gc's (I have a purple and black one, the black one is all the way back from 01). Its def not easy to do if you've never done soldering. The 10 points you have to remove solder from are small and fine(If your on one of the older controllers, the newer ones have 4 less). You have to use one of the smaller solders irons and have your arm resting and very calm. Or else you'll end up making a mess and burning the board along with bringing dirt into the solder if not properly cleaned beforehand.

If you want something to reference to, this is the video to look at:

You'll need a soldering iron to heat it up, and something to suck out the solder, either what he is using, or the other option he mentions where it uses a latched pump to suck it out.

If your still up for it, these guys sell a replacement stick(They usually sell these things in pairs at least):
Ebay
Ebay(2)
Aliexpress(2)

Buying in bulk is cheaper(Only do this if you get requests from others/plan to do this in the long term):
Amazon(6)
Ebay(6)
Amazon(10)
Aliexpress(30)

One of the nice things is once you've successfully done this, the process is mostly the same for any other modern controller. So if you have dead sticks in something like your ps3 controller you could do the same thing.

As for the buttons, so long as the plastic is still in its correct shape all you would have to do is replace the acutal rubber pad underneath as it may just have worn out and lost its tension.

Again, they sell these in sets for the entire controller:
Ebay
Amazon
ZedLabz

Bulk:
Aliexpress(5)
Aliexpress(10)
Aliexpress(30)

Last edited:

young_christian

Smash Rookie
hey do u know anybody that is willing to sell me a gamecube controller I really want one since I got scammed on ebay by a person who sold me a fake gc controller. I need one and hope u reply soon

Top Bottom