• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help to pick a new main !

jc_pz

Smash Rookie
Hi guys!
I'm new to this forum and I've been and am still maining Mario in PM and Melee.
I've got the 3ds game since the release date but just started investing myself deeply in it. I love Mario in this game, but I'd also like to get a new character in my pool and I ned your help for this :) .

Now let's get in the things I like lf a smash character. I like being able to link combos easily, having a nice grab that I can use frequently and having really good aerials. I especially like playing in the air. I don't mind if the character is kinda slow, but i dont want those big full power no speed character (DK, Bowser, Dedede, etc.). Thanks for your help ;)

jc_pz

Smash Rookie
And if possible also a character that doesn't use his up tilt too much, because Mario is mainly giving me difficulty by my lack of ability to use the up tilt

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Your best bet would actually be Luigi. He's similar to Mario except he does more damage and has more kill options. His only issue is his air mobility, but that's minimal to all the strengths Luigi has.

I'd work on your issues with Up-tilt though. A lot of characters in this game has really good uptilts and they're mostly used for anti-airs, Mario's included.

Last edited:

jc_pz

Smash Rookie
Do you have any tricks for the up tilt? Every time I try to do one I end up doing an U-smash...

Also I'll try Luigi out, but I was more looking for someone that can go chase the opponent off the stage. I doubt Luigi could do this because of his meh recovery (am I wrong?)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You can buffer up-tilts after doing an aerial to make it easier, and you can also set attack to the c-stick (though you won't be able to Smash DI). Otherwise it's just a matter of controling your muscles and not slamming the control stick upwards when you want to tilt. It takes practice for your body to remember it.

Luigi can't go deep horizontally but he can go deep when someone goes low. In fact anyone who goes low is most likely going to die to his Cyclone spike. If you can mash B hard enough he'll do a risnig Cyclone, and the lower half of his body spikes opponents. The reason why he can't go deep horizontal is primarily due to his air speed. His recovery is actually very strong otherwise.

jc_pz

Smash Rookie
Oh and one last question on Luigi, I played vs a lv9 luigi bot and he did a dash cyclone how do you do this? And should I use it?

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
By Dash Cyclone I'm assuming you mean Cyclone moving horizontally. It's simply Down-B and moving your control stick left or right. As long as Luigi is grounded he'll move quickly along the ground.

By the way, if you want someone with strong edgeguarding skills I'd look into Pit/Dark Pit or Donkey Kong.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You basically just summed up Jigglypuff. She sounds like she'd be the perfect character for you, minus the frequent grab thing but other than that she fits all your criteria. Or Luigi like @ HeroMystic HeroMystic said. They have almost similar playstyles.

Top Bottom