• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nair to Rest?

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
I've seen Hbox do it multiple times and I've heard the term "soft nair" but don't know exactly what this means.

Also when done do you crouch after the nair into the rest or just up-b right after the l cancel nair?

What characters is this setup good on?

EDIT: Meant Down-B

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
The "soft nair" means that you use the weaker hitbox to get less knockback, so they are still in rest range. I'd recommend looking at a frame data thread to get yourself a picture when which hitboxes are "soft" nairs, because seeing it yourself is often better than just getting explained.

You shouldn't use up-B in the combo. Crouch is somehow optional, it doesn't really change anything (people use it because down is already pressed then and they only have to press B in the right moment). Just position yourself in a way that you are exactly there where the nair will hit them

There are multiple nair->rests in this video, just to learn a few setups: For P:M setups, most work the same, Hungrybox vs Oracle had some nair->rest setups iirc.

One little addition, if you see they do everything to avoid the rest after the nair, this often makes nair->grab easier.

Different setups work well on different characters, generally, it is hard to air combo nair->rest against fastfallers, so against them I would rather use setups near the ground. Use different hitboxes and timings depending on the percentage if you see it doesn't work with your standard method. Try out different things and see what works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom