• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N.O. H.Y.P.E. Results

Griffard

Smash Ace
It has been a long long time since New Orleans hosted a smash tournament, and while the rest of the state has seen more frequent tournaments pop up in Baton Rouge, Lafayette and even Mandeville, New Orleans decided it needed to step it up for the first installment of a hopefully reoccurring series: New Orleans: Have You Played Enough???

We had a total of 40 entrants across both games, and other players showed up to play casuals and support the scene, too. Louisiana resurgence is go!
All entries were $5. Huge shoutouts to Rickie and Austin for hosting and organizing respectively.

PM Doubles

1: Lee and Jnig ($66.00)
2: Pastries & Jesus ($33.00)
3: SHHhhwortsssss ($11.00)
4: Team Butthole, I guess
5: Medeival times with a z
5: Wet Socks
7: Smizzash
7: Team S&M
9: Cr1t1c4l m4$$
9: Breadstick boyz with an s
13: UNK SKUNK

PM Singles

1: Lee ($60.00)
2: Avery ($30.00)
3: JNig ($10.00)
4: Austin
5: DJ DickDown
5: Gram
7: H
7: IRA
9: Blackend Galaxy
9: Ear Wax
9: V
9: J Town
13: Tyler
13: Rickey
13: Jon
13: Benchie Boy
17: Joe
17: Ian
17: Autobad
17: Sudai

Melee Doubles

1: Lee and Jnig ($60.00)
2: Beastiality Boys ($30.00)
3: Wet Socks ($10.00)
4: Pritch & Griff
5: Cr1t1c4l m4$$
5: V & Sudai
7: Fred & Grace
7: Breadstick boyz with an s
9: Jon & Lones
9: Truth

Melee Singles

1: Lee ($81.00)
2: Owl ($40.50)
3: Taylor ($13.50)
4: Avery
5: Tim
5: Citrus
7: Chaddly
7: Tachyon
9: Austin
9: Mushroom Dynamite
9: V
9: Sudai
13: Brzz
13: Pritch
13: JNig
13: Diego
17: Bryson
17: Ear Wax
17: Kaleb
17: DJ DickDown
17: Joey
17: Grace
25: Ismikk
25: Rickey
25: Jon
25: FireBert
25: Ian

1962063_10203915821246058_7601021175355736499_o.jpg

Last edited:

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
I'm having some trouble understanding the doubles bracket, even though our team (Truth) won a set we still ended up in last place.. Could someone explain this to me? There's also the fact that the team we beat ended up in the same part of loser's bracket as us and neither Breadstick Boyz nor Fred and Grace won a set yet they out placed us

Doubles Bracket:
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net...21_10203915829486264_801608359015314476_o.jpg

Last edited:

Griffard

Smash Ace
Yeah there are actually tons and tons of problems with all of the brackets. I didn't organize or run the tournament in any way, I just wanted to put up the results. I just made a post on facebook complaining about similar problems with how the brackets were set up. Hopefully this will not ever happen again >_>

edit: I just specifically looked at the melee dubs bracket, yeah that is absolutely crazy. Like I said, I brought it up to the people who put the brackets together, so far none of them have addressed it or owned up to anything surrounding brackets yet.

Last edited:

Guzzler Guzzler

Melee Elitist
The more I look at this bracket the more weird things I see. We won as many games as Sudai's team and Critical Mass yet they out placed us as well. What the ****

Griffard

Smash Ace
The more I look at this bracket the more weird things I see. We won as many games as Sudai's team and Critical Mass yet they out placed us as well. What the ****
So I think the MAIN issue with the brackets is that there were many byes in the loser's side of the bracket. As far as I know that should NEVER happen. It doesn't make any any any sense.

Last edited:

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
You guys have to understand: there were 10 teams in a 16-man bracket, meaning out of the 8 possible 1st round matches, only 2 will have a match, while the other 6 matches will have a team with a bye. So that means, out of the 8 "losers" in the first round, 2 of them are actual teams, and 6 are byes. Those two teams face byes in losers, moving to automatically into their loser's round 2 match. The four remaining byes in the first round of losers "face" each other, becoming two byes in the second round of losers, thus giving 2 real teams byes in the second round of losers.

There's nothing that can been done about that. The only thing that anyone could have a problem with is seeding at this point. So yes, the records of "actual" matches will not add up evenly, because in a double elimination bracket, the only thing it determines placing with is which round you got knocked out at. So tough luck if you didn't get a bye, lucky you if you got one (or two).

So yes, Griff, byes can and usually will happen in losers. The only time that you don't have byes if there's a perfect 8/16/32/48-man bracket, where no 1st round matches have byes.

And Diego, Freddy/Grace's bracket was like this: Bye -> loss to Sudai/V -> Bye -> loss to Wet Socks. This can always potentially happen, where one team can get 2 byes, and another get none, therefore have a "worse" record, but a better placing. How does that get solved? You technically can't "solve" the problem, but only ensure the team most deserving receives the bye, so you would think the better team would get the bye, but hey, upsets happen, so there's nothing that can be done about that, other than some switches here and there for more precise seeding.

tl;dr: There's actually nothing wrong with how the bracket is, deal with it, unless you have your own personal problem with the seeding. Run/watch a few tournaments yourself or study some brackets, and you'll understand how a bracket works. Shoutouts from me later (after someone else posts so I don't double post)

Sudai

Stuff here
Well said JNig.

And of course no Brawl, what do you think we are? Monkeys? (Sorry to all DK mains, but not really)

Last edited:

Samsora

Smash Apprentice
Now I have to get something motivating to start playing PM

Last edited:

-Ran

Smash Master
Tournaments will always have strange byes and placings when they aren't capped at a particular number that's bracket friendly. Unless you're placing in the money, the number next to your name means very little. The double elimination format is good at determining the absolute best players at an event, with a shot at redemption in case something goes awry for them. Other than that it is pretty terrible at giving reliable placings.

Top Bottom