• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Mysterious Arsenal - Greninja Information & AT Thread

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Yea, the numbers on the thread are from the E3 demo. Greninja probably got a "balance" pass before the final build. This thread should probably be updated.
That is indeed correct. I didn't notice this earlier, so my apologies. I'll be updating it with the changes and such that weren't included in the Smashfest Demo today.

I'll be updating the information as I continue and will check over the information again. (However, I've been testing more, and one of those calculations seem a bit off, @ Kunai KazeKun Kunai KazeKun , specifically UAir. UAir does 6 kicks, the first 5 doing 1.25% each, and the last one doing 3.25% meaning the attack does 9.5% total. Try doing two UAirs, one complete and the other with 2 kicks of 1.25 results in 12%, and two full UAirs do 19%.)

The calculations I will be doing will be performed on Bowser on Dreamland Omega. I, however, have not obtained all of Greninja's customs, so info on them is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
That is indeed correct. I didn't notice this earlier, so my apologies. I'll be updating it with the changes and such that weren't included in the Smashfest Demo today.

I'll be updating the information as I continue and will check over the information again. (However, I've been testing more, and one of those calculations seem a bit off, @ Kunai KazeKun Kunai KazeKun , specifically UAir. UAir does 6 kicks, the first 5 doing 1.25% each, and the last one doing 3.25% meaning the attack does 9.5% total. Try doing two UAirs, one complete and the other with 2 kicks of 1.25 results in 12%, and two full UAirs do 19%.)

The calculations I will be doing will be performed on Bowser on Dreamland Omega. I, however, have not obtained all of Greninja's customs, so info on them is greatly appreciated.
I have them all, if you need anything just PM me.

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
@ Gunla Gunla
Is that soo? Maybe I need to retry. Thanks for the advice, i will try it again when I can. You have test it and I guess your results are correct. So just do whatever you think =)

Maybe i did uptilt to Uair and i didnt realize it xD

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
What characters are you playing against that can't grab you after n-air? I'm pretty sure most characters will just grab you before the d-tilt can come out... and it's not like n-air affords you much room to space with its small range.
I would say Nair is more for starting combos than for spacing because of its small range. But I've been doing Nair -> Dtilt/Jab countless times against friends and online opponents once I've gotten a feel of what they're going to do.

WieldyMinotaur

Smash Cadet
Now I am too lazy to read this whole thread, so this question might have been asked before but do you think that Greninjas counter move, Substitue is worse than the other counter moves? I have not used Grennys counter much but I hardly ever hit with it and sometimes it makes me fly out from the stage. When I hit with it. I believe managed to kill myself and my opponent with it. Sure, I am kind of bad at using counters in general but Greninjas just seems bad.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Now I am too lazy to read this whole thread, so this question might have been asked before but do you think that Greninjas counter move, Substitue is worse than the other counter moves? I have not used Grennys counter much but I hardly ever hit with it and sometimes it makes me fly out from the stage. When I hit with it. I believe managed to kill myself and my opponent with it. Sure, I am kind of bad at using counters in general but Greninjas just seems bad.
Yes it is terrible. I believe it is the most powerful out of the Counters, and we can change directions with it, but it's so slow that the opponent can shield the Counter and counterattack the move. :p So don't use Counter.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Substitute is more situational. I use it when you know your opponent will do something and you are certain they'll do it, and it has a lot of lag.

(Again, Greninja Explosion is much better in my opinion.)

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
greninja's custom 3 shuriken is AMAZING. if only i didn't like the blockstun on default's max charged one or i'd be using this one for sure. true combos into up smash and up air for free.

Erionn

Smash Cadet
greninja's custom 3 shuriken is AMAZING. if only i didn't like the blockstun on default's max charged one or i'd be using this one for sure. true combos into up smash and up air for free.
Yeah, I was playing around with it a bit the other day. The hitstun on the uncharged Custom 3 is pretty amazing, though the range is pretty short. It combos into a lot of things, even at high percents.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Some of that logic is erroneous. Hitboxes are what you use to gimp people 90% of the time. Sonic's spring has a hitbox and it was a decent gimping tool in Brawl (Idk if it works the same way in 3DS). Single-shot Pump seems like it could work the same way, albeit even faster with even more range. Would be great against primarily vertical recoveries and the like.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Some of that logic is erroneous. Hitboxes are what you use to gimp people 90% of the time. Sonic's spring has a hitbox and it was a decent gimping tool in Brawl (Idk if it works the same way in 3DS). Single-shot Pump seems like it could work the same way, albeit even faster with even more range. Would be great against primarily vertical recoveries and the like.

He meant it can't gimp like regular Hydro Pump can.

Single-Shot Pump doesn't gimp like Sonic's spring because its trajectory is diagonal. You can stop someone from reaching the ledge and gimp them with it, sure, but chances are if you had regular Hydro Pump you would have done exactly the same.

SS Pump is easier to perform but you give away all of the different uses HP has. You also make your recovery super predictable in terms of both timing and distance. Plus you make your recovery trajectory always the exact same. You have to recover low.

Just learn regular Hydro Pump and don't rely on "easier" gimps. More options is always better.

Erionn

Smash Cadet
You can't easily gimp someone who is free falling when your move has a hitbox, whereas with regular Hydro Pump you can.

Spirst

If you're going to gimp vertical recoveries, yeah, the hitbox would work alright. However, Greninja has an even better option with his windbox on the hydropump. A hitbox will give them the option to recover again and even though it's vertical, they're more likely to make it back than with a windbox that doesn't even put them in hitstun at all.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Just as a general notice, with the game out for a few weeks, this thread will now begin to accompany Advanced Techniques. Discussion of ATs should primarily occur within this thread only and in the Impressions Matchup Thread to discuss how certain ATs can affect Greninja's matchups. In addition, as the Greninja metagame develops, significant and major ATs will be included in the OP.

The main reason behind this change is because I've been approached about confusion of where Advanced Techniques should be discussed, and it's been planned that this thread would do so, but not at the beginning. However, that time is starting.

In addition, cleanup of this will be occuring, so a few threads will be closed to accompany this change, primarily ones that are based upon specific ATs.

With that, carry on!

Last edited:

TheBearsnake

Smash Cadet
NNID
theBearsnake
3DS FC
4553-9978-0228
Yeah, you guys are right. I just witnessed the broken power of HP myself. I recovered through my opponent, who was edgeguarding me.....and killed him off the top. :crazy:
one hundred percent can attest to how Bad Arse this is. Stealing the ledge with hydro pump is devastating when used correctly.

EDIT: Also in a fight against a little mac trying guard the edge (He was standing and Dsmashing) I hydropump straight through him and launched him diagonally off and down to death. Far enough that it is hard to imagine anyone surviving.

Last edited:

TheBearsnake

Smash Cadet
NNID
theBearsnake
3DS FC
4553-9978-0228
anyone noticed that you can full double jump (a quick one at that) and then Dair straight down off the stage and still recover straight up with hydro pump? Seems to make it a pretty meteor option/gimp/pump shenanigans.

Also totally agree about the substitute recovery. Not that Greninja struggles that much with recovery but it helps against aggressive off stage antics, even to the pointing of going for people off stage that have an answer for gimps.

bajisci

Smash Ace
anyone noticed that you can full double jump (a quick one at that) and then Dair straight down off the stage and still recover straight up with hydro pump? Seems to make it a pretty meteor option/gimp/pump shenanigans.

Also totally agree about the substitute recovery. Not that Greninja struggles that much with recovery but it helps against aggressive off stage antics, even to the pointing of going for people off stage that have an answer for gimps.
You can actually dair at the apex of a full jump (not on yoshis) then double jump and recover with hydrop pump straight up. Don't necessarily need to double jump before using dair.

TheBearsnake

Smash Cadet
NNID
theBearsnake
3DS FC
4553-9978-0228
You can actually dair at the apex of a full jump (not on yoshis) then double jump and recover with hydrop pump straight up. Don't necessarily need to double jump before using dair.
That makes perfect sense, thanks!

Spirst

Just some added info for the OP:

USmash, when sweetspotted does 19% uncharged which is as much as a fully charged fsmash. Now, a fully charged sweetspotted usmash does 26%. It's two hits and the first hit does 5% if uncharged and 7% if fully charged (and also sucks them in for the second hit to connect) while the second does 14%-18% as stated.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Is there some trick to the u-air spike? I hit it every once in a while, but a lot of times I'll see the flash for the fastfall while I'm hitting the u-air and they fall downwards but not fast enough for me to follow up with an u-smash, or spike them if they are offstage. Does it only work after a certain percent or something? Because I keep trying to get a combo/string on my friend I've been playing with but I always mess up the second u-air when I go for the spike and he just falls really slow.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Is there some trick to the u-air spike? I hit it every once in a while, but a lot of times I'll see the flash for the fastfall while I'm hitting the u-air and they fall downwards but not fast enough for me to follow up with an u-smash, or spike them if they are offstage. Does it only work after a certain percent or something? Because I keep trying to get a combo/string on my friend I've been playing with but I always mess up the second u-air when I go for the spike and he just falls really slow.
Yeah. I don't know any tricks. I just sometimes get it and then try to capitalize on it.

Spirst

Hmm. I did some quick testing and I've managed to get the other character to fall fast enough even at low percents. I had suspected it might have something to do with the number of hits that connect before the last one does and that was proven false as well. It also didn't seem to have much to do with when the fastfall input is done. I'll have to do more testing on this later on when I'm not tired because I'm pretty interested in this as well.

Erionn

Smash Cadet
It's super easy to do if you can catch them not too high on stage, you just fast fall and land before the last hit and it spikes every time.

Offstage is a bit harder. It's easiest(or only possible maybe) if you start the u-air when you are as far below them as possible, and already at the height of your jump/falling so you can fast fall immediately after you input u-air.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Okay I go for it really high up most of the time, maybe that's why it doesn't work. Even then they sometimes go down so fast they bounce of the stage right into, sometimes even right above my u-smash.

Last edited:

Souretsu

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been lurking this forum the past couple weeks but have decided to join. I've learned a lot about what Greninja can do, and he's definitely my favorite character in this game. I decided that it was about time I started participating in these discussions and not just reading them.

It's amazing what all can be done just with Shadow Sneak. Thanks to you guys I've learned about canceling landing lag with Shadow Sneak, sprinting Shadow Sneak, and just a moment ago, air-to-ground Shadow Sneaks. I admit I haven't read this entire topic (was actually reading the Greninja guide thread before registering, but this seemed like the place to make this post) but will double check myself after this post.

Anyway, what I wanted to actually say is, there are two things I've found regarding Shadow Sneak that I don't recall seeing anywhere yet. Apologies if they're in here, one of them I literally just discovered on my own so it's gotten me a little excited. Anyway, one I've known about for a while is a slightly easier alternative to sprinting Shadow Sneaks. You also have the ability to charge up a SS while walking -- at any speed. Simply press and hold B while walking. There's no change in your animation so opponents won't necessarily know you're up to anything. There's no specific timing to this like there is with the sprinting version. I wouldn't say it's better, but knowing that we can do both is nice.

The second thing is, I've noticed that we can SS out of a wall cling. I only just discovered this. Charge a SS away from the wall and simply jump into it. Or, while charging a SS, walk off the edge and hold back so you catch the wall. When SS releases it will behave like normal. I don't know how many applications it has, but this seems like it has some potential.

Worth noting is that you can also perform a wall jump (the normal one, as well as the one that resembles a midair jump) out of this wall cling while charging SS.

If this is old information, I really do apologize, but I hope this proves useful to everyone. :)

Spirst

Hey guys, I've been lurking this forum the past couple weeks but have decided to join. I've learned a lot about what Greninja can do, and he's definitely my favorite character in this game. I decided that it was about time I started participating in these discussions and not just reading them.

It's amazing what all can be done just with Shadow Sneak. Thanks to you guys I've learned about canceling landing lag with Shadow Sneak, sprinting Shadow Sneak, and just a moment ago, air-to-ground Shadow Sneaks. I admit I haven't read this entire topic (was actually reading the Greninja guide thread before registering, but this seemed like the place to make this post) but will double check myself after this post.

Anyway, what I wanted to actually say is, there are two things I've found regarding Shadow Sneak that I don't recall seeing anywhere yet. Apologies if they're in here, one of them I literally just discovered on my own so it's gotten me a little excited. Anyway, one I've known about for a while is a slightly easier alternative to sprinting Shadow Sneaks. You also have the ability to charge up a SS while walking -- at any speed. Simply press and hold B while walking. There's no change in your animation so opponents won't necessarily know you're up to anything. There's no specific timing to this like there is with the sprinting version. I wouldn't say it's better, but knowing that we can do both is nice.

The second thing is, I've noticed that we can SS out of a wall cling. I only just discovered this. Charge a SS away from the wall and simply jump into it. Or, while charging a SS, walk off the edge and hold back so you catch the wall. When SS releases it will behave like normal. I don't know how many applications it has, but this seems like it has some potential.

Worth noting is that you can also perform a wall jump (the normal one, as well as the one that resembles a midair jump) out of this wall cling while charging SS.

If this is old information, I really do apologize, but I hope this proves useful to everyone. :)
Hello there.

Yeah, I've been using the walking shadow sneak for some time now and I find that even then, it can be difficult to land on competent players unless you're on a shadowless stage. Even with that mobility, shadow sneak is still a risky move to pull and often times doesn't seem worth it. I've recently been trying to get the running shadow sneak down and can get it more often than before but even so, not enough to reliably use in a real game. You can also jump in addition to walking so if you predict a jump or the other player is coming in high, you can hit them with a jumped shadow sneak. You can even do a shadow sneak from the ground, jump up, and do an instant downwards shadow sneak.

I haven't ever tried SS from a wallcling. I wonder how effective wall-clinging>jumping>SS to hit edge guarder would be.

Last edited:

DrSoussou

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2552-2785-0774
Hey, everyone. I'm DrSouss, and I'm a Brawl veteran with a decent amount of time put into Sm4sh 3DS. I wanted to get involved here because I believe this current period is when the metagame needs the most support, and I feel the need to contribute. I've been playing against Florida's best players for years and have found a significant increase in my success in tournament against them since picking up Greninja in this new game. I've also had experience writing character guides (see my Brawl Lucario guide here: http://smashboards.com/threads/lucario-clinic-options-strategies-and-ats.336601/), so I'm likely going to draft one for Greninja whenever I get the chance, so I'll be sure to let you all know. I wanted to share what I know, and since I'm sure that a lot of people reading this are players who may be completely new to Smash Brothers in general I want to make sure I don't confuse anyone, so please don't hesitate to PM or post here for clarification or explanation on anything.

For now, I thought a good thing to do would be to just explain which Greninja techniques I've found to be the most effective at high-level and show you why. In order to do that I've been working on a video, but that won't be ready for some time. Meanwhile, I've posted a video of a Nintendodojo ladder set on my YouTube channel that you guys can watch. Hopefully, some of it can demonstrate a couple of things that I'm about to explain. Stay tuned on my YouTube channel for more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_KFnPyfJAg

First, a disclaimer: I haven't experimented with or even seen any of Greninja's custom moves because I am of the opinion that they should not be allowed in the competitive scene, so I will not discuss any of those here. I'm sure I'll eventually learn about/unlock them and become more exposed, but for now, everything I'm discussing is purely default.

SHADOW-SNEAK: While on the ground, in the air, or even while in tumble, press Side-B and Greninja's shadow will begin to move in the direction of your input. When you release, Greninja appears where the shadow is and attacks. You can control the direction of the attack by holding either left or right upon release of the B button. If you do not hold a direction, the attack will come out in the direction facing your enemy. This move is amazing, but only if used properly. Yes, it can cancel landing lag from Down-Air and Air-Dodge, but so can this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmDkNkNPWYY. <-- I suggest you all practice that, it will be hard to incorporate aerial-cancelling into your game, but totally worth it. Anyway, the most effective uses of Shadow Sneak (SS) that I have found are as follows.

1. Landing
If you don't know. SS works in the air even though no shadow is visible. When launched above and away from the stage, I generally use an aerial to stop Greninja from tumbling, and then immediately begin charging SS. This is because it allows me to stay very far from the stage (where my opponent is waiting to edge-guard me) while also charging an attack to strike my opponent unknowingly if they're too close to the ledge. If you release at the right height, you can use the distance that you've charged on your shadow while falling to recover past the ledge and onto the stage behind your opponent. Release any lower than the level of the stage's surface, and you'll reappear against the ledge or the bottom of the stage. (Don't panic if this happens, you should have saved your jump and you can still use it and then UpB to recover after "reappear lag" is done)

This technique is godlike because you can mix up where you reappear, recover, and potentially attack at the same time. It is very safe as long as you don't do it every time. For example: you get launched, stop tumble, charge SS, and plan to fall to the edge of the stage and reappear behind your opponent onstage with an attack. HOWEVER, they begin charging a smash or planting a hazard, something that changes your mind about reappearing on stage with them. ALL you have to do is NOT release B at the level of the stage, and instead, wait another instant longer and release it at the level of the stage's edge. You will not grab the ledge when you reappear, but you'll block the distance you charged and allow yourself to recover safely to the edge afterwards, avoiding your opponent's attack.

2. Aerial mixup
Presume that you grab your opponent and up-throw them to follow up with an aerial. They get hit left or right with your back-air or jump away to the left or right. You can land, jump and charge SS, and release it by timing the distance that your shadow has traveled midair WITHOUT you or your opponent ever having seen it. Yes, timing it this accurately takes practice, but we're still not even a month out of the release date. I've had great success knocking an opponent offstage and then jumping to chase them and getting a KO off the side with SS because THEY DONT KNOW IM CHARGING MY SHADOW

3. Run-up/Counter
The only other safe uses of SS are as a risky approach or a counter. Yes, Greninja's Down-B (substitute) is a legitimate counter, but SS can be as well. Think of how many times you've used SS to cancel your Down-air lag. You land with lag and they try to punish you, but you use instant-release SS and avoid their attack and hit them back. That's a counter. Use SS if you know your opponent is going for an F-tilt or F-smash next to you. Try to go behind them. Run straight at them, predict that your speed will prompt them to attack or shield, and then use SS when you're point-blank. They'll drop shield if they brought it up because they don't know what you're doing, or they'll jab and miss before you reappear and punish.

4. WHEN NOT TO SS
DO NOT USE SS IN NEUTRAL POSITION (unless MAYBE, you're on a shadowless stage). Yes, you may be able to land SS in neutral position sometimes (you're standing across the stage from your opponent and waiting for someone to make a move), but a smart opponent will realize you're charging it and punish you after shielding your attack. Again, I'm talking about high-level play, not For Glory.

So that's shadow sneak and actually all I have time for right now, but I will be back to help later. Until then, PM me, FB me ("Doc Souss"), reply here, whatever. Watch my video and everyone else's too. Keep learning and keep practicing. I honestly believe Greninja has the tools to be top 5 in this game, he just needs our talent and hard work to get him there competitively.

TL;DR
Shadow Sneak is really good, stay on my channel for advice and videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_KFnPyfJAg

DouchebagDylan

Smash Rookie
Hey, everyone. I'm DrSouss, and I'm a Brawl veteran with a decent amount of time put into Sm4sh 3DS. I wanted to get involved here because I believe this current period is when the metagame needs the most support, and I feel the need to contribute. I've been playing against Florida's best players for years and have found a significant increase in my success in tournament against them since picking up Greninja in this new game. I've also had experience writing character guides (see my Brawl Lucario guide here: so I'm likely going to draft one for Greninja whenever I get the chance, so I'll be sure to let you all know. I wanted to share what I know, and since I'm sure that a lot of people reading this are players who may be completely new to Smash Brothers in general I want to make sure I don't confuse anyone, so please don't hesitate to PM or post here for clarification or explanation on anything.

For now, I thought a good thing to do would be to just explain which Greninja techniques I've found to be the most effective at high-level and show you why. In order to do that I've been working on a video, but that won't be ready for some time. Meanwhile, I've posted a video of a Nintendodojo ladder set on my YouTube channel that you guys can watch. Hopefully, some of it can demonstrate a couple of things that I'm about to explain. Stay tuned on my YouTube channel for more videos.

First, a disclaimer: I haven't experimented with or even seen any of Greninja's custom moves because I am of the opinion that they should not be allowed in the competitive scene, so I will not discuss any of those here. I'm sure I'll eventually learn about/unlock them and become more exposed, but for now, everything I'm discussing is purely default.

SHADOW-SNEAK: While on the ground, in the air, or even while in tumble, press Side-B and Greninja's shadow will begin to move in the direction of your input. When you release, Greninja appears where the shadow is and attacks. You can control the direction of the attack by holding either left or right upon release of the B button. If you do not hold a direction, the attack will come out in the direction facing your enemy. This move is amazing, but only if used properly. Yes, it can cancel landing lag from Down-Air and Air-Dodge, but so can this: <-- I suggest you all practice that, it will be hard to incorporate aerial-cancelling into your game, but totally worth it. Anyway, the most effective uses of Shadow Sneak (SS) that I have found are as follows.

1. Landing
If you don't know. SS works in the air even though no shadow is visible. When launched above and away from the stage, I generally use an aerial to stop Greninja from tumbling, and then immediately begin charging SS. This is because it allows me to stay very far from the stage (where my opponent is waiting to edge-guard me) while also charging an attack to strike my opponent unknowingly if they're too close to the ledge. If you release at the right height, you can use the distance that you've charged on your shadow while falling to recover past the ledge and onto the stage behind your opponent. Release any lower than the level of the stage's surface, and you'll reappear against the ledge or the bottom of the stage. (Don't panic if this happens, you should have saved your jump and you can still use it and then UpB to recover after "reappear lag" is done)

This technique is godlike because you can mix up where you reappear, recover, and potentially attack at the same time. It is very safe as long as you don't do it every time. For example: you get launched, stop tumble, charge SS, and plan to fall to the edge of the stage and reappear behind your opponent onstage with an attack. HOWEVER, they begin charging a smash or planting a hazard, something that changes your mind about reappearing on stage with them. ALL you have to do is NOT release B at the level of the stage, and instead, wait another instant longer and release it at the level of the stage's edge. You will not grab the ledge when you reappear, but you'll block the distance you charged and allow yourself to recover safely to the edge afterwards, avoiding your opponent's attack.

2. Aerial mixup
Presume that you grab your opponent and up-throw them to follow up with an aerial. They get hit left or right with your back-air or jump away to the left or right. You can land, jump and charge SS, and release it by timing the distance that your shadow has traveled midair WITHOUT you or your opponent ever having seen it. Yes, timing it this accurately takes practice, but we're still not even a month out of the release date. I've had great success knocking an opponent offstage and then jumping to chase them and getting a KO off the side with SS because THEY DONT KNOW IM CHARGING MY SHADOW

3. Run-up/Counter
The only other safe uses of SS are as a risky approach or a counter. Yes, Greninja's Down-B (substitute) is a legitimate counter, but SS can be as well. Think of how many times you've used SS to cancel your Down-air lag. You land with lag and they try to punish you, but you use instant-release SS and avoid their attack and hit them back. That's a counter. Use SS if you know your opponent is going for an F-tilt or F-smash next to you. Try to go behind them. Run straight at them, predict that your speed will prompt them to attack or shield, and then use SS when you're point-blank. They'll drop shield if they brought it up because they don't know what you're doing, or they'll jab and miss before you reappear and punish.

4. WHEN NOT TO SS
DO NOT USE SS IN NEUTRAL POSITION (unless MAYBE, you're on a shadowless stage). Yes, you may be able to land SS in neutral position sometimes (you're standing across the stage from your opponent and waiting for someone to make a move), but a smart opponent will realize you're charging it and punish you after shielding your attack. Again, I'm talking about high-level play, not For Glory.

So that's shadow sneak and actually all I have time for right now, but I will be back to help later. Until then, PM me, FB me ("Doc Souss"), reply here, whatever. Watch my video and everyone else's too. Keep learning and keep practicing. I honestly believe Greninja has the tools to be top 5 in this game, he just needs our talent and hard work to get him there competitively.

TL;DR
Shadow Sneak is really good, stay on my channel for advice and videos.
Great writeup, I don't incorporate shadow sneak in the air almost at all. I can definitely see how it can both protect you when recovering and provide solid mixups, I'll have to try it out. Do you have any clips of you pulling off upthrow/ to aerial shadow sneak kills? That sounds super stylish (and tough) but also practical because your opponent cannot see it charged. never thought to try it

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Can Shadow Sneak break combos?

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if anyone has put this technique in the threads yet, but I believe it's an important advanced technique for Greninja players to learn. It can turn your enemies punish into a move that backfires on them completely.
For now, I'm going to call Shadow Sneak Cancelling (SSC)

Normally when you land on the ground with an aerial, he will have notable lag. Greninja can actually cancel aerial landing lag with the start up of shadow sneak. This is immensely helpful because if you ever whiff a d-air or any other aerial, you can input shadow sneak as soon as they try to punish it. You can disappear just in time to dodge their punish and then reappear to land a smooth counter. This is a great mind game too, as I have ran at people, SH D-air a bit away from them, and SSC as soon as they go in for the punish.

Also, Greninja can spike with FF U-air.

Spirst

I'm not sure if anyone has put this technique in the threads yet, but I believe it's an important advanced technique for Greninja players to learn. It can turn your enemies punish into a move that backfires on them completely.
For now, I'm going to call Shadow Sneak Cancelling (SSC)

Normally when you land on the ground with an aerial, he will have notable lag. Greninja can actually cancel aerial landing lag with the start up of shadow sneak. This is immensely helpful because if you ever whiff a d-air or any other aerial, you can input shadow sneak as soon as they try to punish it. You can disappear just in time to dodge their punish and then reappear to land a smooth counter. This is a great mind game too, as I have ran at people, SH D-air a bit away from them, and SSC as soon as they go in for the punish.

Also, Greninja can spike with FF U-air.
Yep. Both of these are very well-known at this point. SSC is pretty unsafe as well against players who know about this which, I think, is a growing number considering the number of Greninjas that do this.

The FF U-air can also lead to an U-smash.

Last edited:

Szion

Smash Journeyman
I think i'll be taking exploding down B and pulling neutral B..

maybe Strong down B...

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Yep. Both of these are very well-known at this point. SSC is pretty unsafe as well against players who know about this which, I think, is a growing number considering the number of Greninjas that do this.

The FF U-air can also lead to an U-smash.
Cool!

Last edited:
Top Bottom