• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda My NES-zelda custom game - Playtesters welcome ;3

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Hello SWF.​

I'm Xonar, and I've been a long time fan of LoZ.
The first game I played was LoZ on the NES, and it was EPIC.

Of course, as soon as I heard about ZC, I started my own 'quest' (the term for a custom game). This quest was going to be MY quest, with MY view on LoZ.
A few of those include:
- More sidequests
- Varying ground (no walking through hours of the same patch of grass)
- Less lame tree>mountain transitions between screens
- More challenge when fighting bosses (hell yeah)
- An evolving overworld (you cleanse areas, limited secrets and items etc)
And more...

An overworld map!

Looks exciting enough for you? I hope so! (graves are purposely hiding something ;3)
The overworld is quite interactive. There is a moblin village, human village, an arena which gives different rewards, a shrine, ruins, an oasis and much, much more...

Currently, I'd say my quest is ~60-70% completed. That means that I still have to:​
- Make MORE SideQ's
- Add more dungeons
- Finish the plot
- Tune up some of the overworld
- Add overworld-phase dependent rewards
etc. etc.

What has already been done so far (chronologically):
<Playtested>​
- The introduction area
- First dungeon [Legendé]
- Overworld phase 1
- Second dungeon [Castle]
- Overworld phase 2
- Third dungeon [Dragon's Breeding Grounds]
- Overworld phase 3
- Fourth dungeon [Forest of Death]
- Overworld phase 4
- Fifth dungeon [Lava mountain]
- Overworld phase 5
- Sixth dungeon [Water dungeon] (any water dungeon should have that name)
- Overworld phase 6

<Designed+programmed but not yet playtested>​
- Seventh dungeon [Rock peak or whatever]
- Overworld phase 7
- Eighth dungeon [Won't be spoiling this name, but trust me, this will be epic]
- Overworld phase 8
- Ninth dungeon [actually just the final boss encounter]

But yeah, it's a ****load of work. I'm not 100% done with the one I've playtested either. As I said, I'm going to make an evolving overworld. This means that you can expect the village to expand over time. I've done bits and pieces of this, but I want to have everything done before I go in to the final stages of completing the phasing overworld. Right now, the village only expands by 1 house and 2 settlements. In the final form, it might even come close to covering half the map.
[collapse="You beat the Water Dungeon! {tease}"]
[/collapse]

But yeah, this time around, I'm just gonna post a download link here. Anyone who wants to play it, go ahead. It's quite difficult though, because I actually want to keep your attention drawn to the game. Uh yeah, be sure to contact me when you play it though, I'm pretty sure you'll need a guide if only to make it less frustrating.
An up to date version can be acquired by talking to me.

[collapse="everything ZClassic"]
This video might help you with starting a custom Q up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQXXJbWrME
For making one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTvuoqr5cYU
When you ate through that tutorial, you can try visiting these sites:
http://www.purezc.com/
http://armageddongames.net/index.php
http://zeldaclassic.com/
http://www.zcrealm.net/
[/collapse]

Have a nice day,

Xonar.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The game's really good. Its hard to someone who isn't use to how the game works (I've never played the original), and I'm sure it will be a challenge for everyone of you, even Spire.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
too bad I can't run zelda classic on Windows 7

Spire

III
BRoomer
This looks fantastic! Since the mac version of ZC isn't available yet (not that I know of), this could prove difficult for most mac users. But fortunately for myself, I now have Windows 7 installed on my macbook so I'll be good to go. Nevermind, saw that you linked to the versions.

I'm remember you mentioning this in the Zelda Classic thread, so I'm glad you finally got it up. Thanks for sharing with us!

Oh and CRASHiC - there are better Zelda players than me. I swear, I haven't played the games as much as numerous members here. I just happen to love the series so much from the comparatively limited amount of time I've spent with it.

Epic subliminal messages there! I'm gonna play this tomorrow, when I'm not dying of sleep.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
As this has been bumped a month ago without me noticing...

Anyways, I had this file on a computer which crashed a while ago (the power supply/battery) and I'm still waiting to be arsed to get it saved out of there.
CrashICs computer crashed 2 days after mine, *sigh*, just my luck. In either way, I am progressed a bit further right now.
Before it crashed I've been working on a custom boss which was a ****load of work and still requires adjustments. Still it's epic to do. Sidequests are coming along nicely (yet terribly hard to program)
Evolving overworld is done for as far as possible too, will work on it when I can. The evolving overworld is pretty much cleansing the areas that you completed, allowing for other sidequests (so search before and after clearing the area ;)) and also expanding villages etc.

Sorry for the bump, just wanted to clear things up.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I picked this back up. I got some fresh ideas, and playtested through the current version too. I found many things I want to fix and I also had a lot of trouble with my own puzzle/bosses. I suck at this xD

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I don't really have any fileshare/anything account, so I'd prefer to have people just contact me so that I can send it to that person. That way I can also get to talk a bit which I actually prefer to just putting it up for download.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
Is this a rom?
If its not a rom, I would love to use it when its done, it looks very awesome :)
If its a rom though, sadly Im not gonna go for it, I follow the law :(

Overswarm

is laughing at you
ROMs aren't illegal. You are allowed to have a digital copy of a game you own.

That said, this is a unique creation by the author that uses copyrighted works (sprites, music, etc.). The game itself, under Amercian law anyway, would be copyrighted towards the author upon creation, but the images and music and other material are still copyright their respective owners. Making or playing this game, at worst, would be copyright infringement.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yeah I don't think I have heard of any complaints from Nintendo towards this program.
Check www.shardstorm.com to download the gaming client, and add me/wait for OS to upload it if you want the game itself ^_^

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm gonna be really defiant of the rules here and hope Spire has mercy on my sweet little behind.

I've updated this thread + the quest with a whole new dungeon, balance updates, a reworked world map, new enemies AND new bugs.

So yeah, uhhh, Spire, you decide what you do with this. Shame on you for never having played this though (jk jk I know you're busy <3)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Dude Xonar.

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN

Nice to see you back and with the time I have now, I may finally give this a run!

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Sorry for being absent, get on AIM, we should talk.

I'm actually seriously developping this now and it should be done one of these months. NickRiddle is gonna let's play it, that might give it some fame.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'd love it if someone with free time playtests this. I'm over 50% in completion (that means that it's finished AND has been playtested, finetuned and approved) and just playtesting by myself is becoming tiresome, annoying and I think it's better overall to have more than 1 playtest/playtester.

So, anyone who is up for it should message me. I've got tonsa fun stuff. Farore's Wind, Hookshot, a Longbow, Whisp Rings and all the good stuff ;3

I'm looking at the game on Skype with Brosuke, and it looks reeeally legit. It's fun to watch, and it looks challenging as ****.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I'll playtest this, it looks great. I added you on Skype Brosuke, anybody else who wants to add me can. I'll probably start playing in the next few days.

kupo15

Smash Hero
this looks awesome. Which windows version should I dl since the direct link doesnt work for the emulator

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Please update this thread every day!

As soon as you finish this, please let us know. Hell, I'll even pay you for a download lol.
Thanks for the enthusiastic response! I'll give an update right now.

this looks awesome. Which windows version should I dl since the direct link doesnt work for the emulator
http://www.shardstorm.com/zc/alphas/1401-windows.zip
Latest window build

http://l.j-factor.com/zeldaclassic/ZC-250-rc2.tgz
Latest mac build

I also note that the download link of the quest in the OP is not up to date but that's mainly because I change things around way often.
If you want up to date versions add me on skype/aim/msn and I'll send you one whenever it's done.
Alternatively, the version in the OP could be seen as a taste of what to come ;)
The best thing about new versions is that your save file works inbetween them ;D

[collapse="Guide to setting up"]
A quick setting up guide:

After downloading, start Zelda Classic (the green one, not the blue one)
Once it has started, you press escape, a menu bar should show up at the top. Under settings, change your controls and key directions to fit your desires.
Afterwards, you press register your name. Enter your name. Now press "A"(your a button in controls) and press A again for "Custom Quest"!
You select the quest and there you go!
[/collapse]

edit:

Added some of my progress and a tease map of the overworld after the Water Dungeon. I must say, I print screened that about 2 days ago, and I've already changed lotsa things. The progress here is fast when I get to it, haha.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh I thought I saw that explaination somewhere lol
Though I did everything and selected all 4 quests and each time it said
"This is not a custom quest. Beat the [previous] quest to unlock."

I don't actually have to beat the normal game, right?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
You have to make sure you're selecting my .qst file. I think it's called versie4.qst.

I'll help you if you add me on any messaging program.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
I'm gonna take this part of programming a bit slower because I'm at a really tedious and boring part right now.

Gonna completely designing everything from this point onwards and then start playtesting it. After that I'll add the finishing touches.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Been really busy with school etc, so it's been pretty silent last week.

Currently working on the Water Temple still, it's a ***** to program. I also need some sort of inspiration for a boss fight.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
FINALLY finishing up the Water Temple. Jezus **** the only redemption is that you guys will be as frustrated walking around there as I was programming it.
Been busy with work/school/sociallife/brawl/whatever. Playtesters haven't been playtesting, I would love people to do so though. It would help with motivation methinks ^_^

Top Bottom