• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Thread v2 | PM 3.5 Ness Matchup Discussion |

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
WOW soft serve's post is amazing

i now feel like hitbox analysis is one of the best ways to go about learning matchups. kudos man

i vote pit

The_NZA

Smash Lord
  1. Neutral game -
    This is the hardest part with the matchup against Link, and the likelihood is if you don't have character specific matchup experience, you'll have a really hard time dealing with him. First off, you don't want to stay too far away. If you manage to create a lot of space and want to pkflash his shield or pressure him afar, go for it. But keep in mind, he can arrow you.

Most of the game will be played with you approaching, and the key is figuring out how to safely approach when the boomerangs (and bombs) start flying in the air. There is an optimal range from Link that Ness wants to stay in, where he can threaten Link and scare Link out of carelessely throwing projectiles. It's basically a little farther than hookshot range. Within that range, ness can do aerial pkfires and threaten the DJC fair, but he can pick whichever one he wants, and Link doesn't have an easy way to run out of the situation.

Here are some rules of thumb:
    a. Fair and nair are your only viable aerials in neutral when trying to get something started. Bair can work as well, but it's less guaranteed than fair when you have an opening, and its harder to clank against projectiles.

b. Always throw a nair in every SHFFL when you don't have a complete opening. The strategy here is to use your nairs to clank with his boomerang, and preferably to shffl a nair so you hit the boomerang AND link during his throwing animation. If you are really good, learn to watch his hand, and time your aerials against the animation of him releasing the boomerang.

c. Don't magnet in neutral. Its just...bad. It makes you less mobile, and in this matchup you can't afford to be floating in the air.

d. Aerial pk fire is good for gaining some control. You can try to hit the boomerang as it leaves his hand, or while its air borne, in addition to just putting intense pressure on Link. Link has a relatively long jump squat and he's not that mobile so pkfire camping him in his "uncomfortable range" is pretty good for starting something.

e. Be cognizant of your shield game. Shielding returning boomerangs is a last resort, but that gives Link an opening to grab you. WDing OOS is pretty important to keep mobile while still protecting yourself. In general, I try to think of things in the following way. Shield > Bomb, Clank > boomerang.

f. WATCH for returning boomerang. If Link throws out a boomerang, realize it has to come back to him. Shielding is a last resort. Rolling back is an acceptable option. Jumping, just to get out of its incoming path and throwing an aerial pkfire is a good response. If you start getting momentum and he has a boomerang coming, either jump and do an aerial, or grab and dthrow. The beauty of dthrow is, it puts Link under you so that returning boomerangs can come back to him without touching you.

2. Comboing - The reason why this matchup can seem even sometimes is that the combo game Ness has is brutal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aJWON1j9mg

In the above video, you can get a sense of some of the possible combos. If you dthrow and he DI's away, you can dash regrab him. I've also seen Awestin do magnet -> fair regrabs. If he DI's towards you after a dthrow, you can DJC uair ->utilt -> followups (if you try to DJCuair again, and they are good with nairing out of pressure, you both will usually trade). At low percent, you can dthrow bair -> bair if they DI towards you.

At higher percents, you can make DJC fairs combo in to nairs, due to Link's heavy weight. I also find Dair, and Uair combos pretty easy on Link. Reading a Link's platform techrolls and responding is really important. When he techrolls, you can run and throw a dtilt to catch him, or throw a dash attack, that will pretty reliably combo into bair or uair.

Here's the thing, though: people don't realize it but Link has a disgusting combo game on Ness. Link's DPS is out of control, and while you can get 50% on him off a throw, he can do the same to you. Link can dthrow jab jab regrab, or Dthrow bair regrab if you aren't careful--I think its probably pretty important to learn how to buffer spot dodges in this matchup, and also nair out of pressure. Try to escape to platforms, and try to tech away from him since hopefully he won't be able to get in position to dair you.The key thing to realize if you DI in front of him, he'll probably fair you, nad if you DI behind him, he can dair (although its hard for him to choose this option).

3. Edge guarding -
    You can punish Link's tether by dropping from the edge and do a rising nair, away from the edge (I call it a "crescent nair, since you are moving in the shape of a crescent). If he opts to upb, you can grab the edge, and LJC a fair or dair to punish his end lag. The tricky part is, he can pick between both of htese options and switch with tether dropping.

That's why, I often favor chasing the Link far off stage. I like to jump really far off, and try to fast fall nair, and hit him further away from the stage so he can't comfortably AGT his way back. Most links have the bad habit of jumping and pulling their first bomb at the same time, so keeping that in consideration, you can punish him knowing he won't have a second jump saved.

Just beware about chasing him. You can run into this situation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=5aJWON1j9mg#t=521

One cute edge guard option is pkthundering him and hitting his back side so he ends up facing the opposite way from the edge. If you do this, Link can either reverse shoot an arrow to turn himself around (which most aren't smart enough to consider), throw a bomb to turn around, or he will up b. Most likely he will up b if he's panicking which you can punish by grabbing the edge and LJC fair or dairing him.

Finally, if you are dealing with a good link who knows how to tether drop, they might just option select between tether and upb. When they do that, you have to decide what you want to do to mess them up, because you won't be able to really cover every option. There's nothing wrong in these situations to pkflashing and selecting a second optino after that.

4. Recovering - If you are recovering high, opt to either sweetspot the edge, or land cancel on a platform. If you go in the air, a good Link will opt to uair juggle you, which is damage but not death. If you are recovering below the stage, it is VERY easy for Link to simply upb in place and get a low percent kill on you. Thats why, if you are recovering from below, you should probably opt to sweetspot the edge OR go very high and drop onto the stage or on the edge. As usual, the simplest way to get back safely is to recover high and to upb into the ground, far enough from Link that he can't get in position to stop you.

5. Stage Choice - There are no bad Link stages. Personally, playing Link on small stages scares me, but I will do it if I'm playing a Link who I can't seem to kill. I think most of your decision for stages should be in terms of flat stage or platforms, and deciding which you prefer against your opponent. Link, as a character, does well with platforms, but some players have a hard time getting around Links mobility and using platforms intelligently. Also, platforms give us lagless pkfires, so that helps.

One option is going to final D, and playing very campy with aerial pkfires. I have had success with this style. I think one thing to avoid is short ceilings, since most of Link's kill options kill high.

6. Matchup Spread -
    This is IMO Ness's hardest matchup, and at a high skill level, I see it as a 70-30. If you are playing a bad Link, you can really get a lot off a hit, and off of that experience it can appear more even than it is. But IMO, getting that first hit is really really difficult, and Link can punish us almost as well as we can him.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Whoops NZA's post is infinitely better than this:

Link write up

1. Link completely dominates the neutral game, as I'm sure you'd all imagine. Between bomb tosses zoning spaces that ness can't enter, arrows and boomerangs making the ground an unsafe place to be, and links insane sword and grab range, link has all the advantages he needs to make a ness player want to literally quit the game forever.

Ness, left with only his brainpower and the little force his arms and legs can muster, has only one option in the neutral game, and that is camping platforms and pk firing to wait for a hole in links defenses. What you'll notice about link is that although he doesn't have many gaps in his projectile-made armor, he does suffer at one angle, imo, in front of him, a 45 degree angle. This is where your aerial pk fires (djc, wave bounce, and b reverse all useful here) and your djc fairs come in handy (maybe with a bit of a magnet air stall, if necessary and possible).

Ideally, with proper projectile usage by the link, envision the stage as being covered completely on the ground by arrows and boomerangs and all space directly above and behind him covered by bombs and his sword; this leaves only that one angle, basically his face, where you can get in on him. Link strongly wins the neutral game (I even forgot to mention Zair, **** that ****) but ness can get in given VERY careful decision making and ultra-precise movement, as well as carrying your momentum; if you can get in on a link and get into your groove, the link can find it difficult to escape and reset to neutral effectively.

2. Link is at a good combo weight for ness, methinks. He's heavy and he's a large hitbox and falls sorta fast, so there is a low percent chain grab given di away on the dthrow, other than that, uair chains off a dthrow work, back air off of bad dthrow di works, fair strings work, and mid percent magnet combo extenders work iirc. Ness's incredibly dangerous combo and damage and even kill game on link is what makes the matchup possible, I think. A djc fair into regrab should work, but if your opponent begins to read it, I'm not sure if they can get out if you're consistent; if so, try mixing up with djc fair>bat or something.

His utilt will chain for a bit at low percents and lead into a uair, his dthrow is his combo throw, dthrow>dair works perfectly for link as a kill move at like 110 (you might be able to di the throw to get out, I'm not sure), his jab>jab combo can lead into a dsmash, a grab, a finished jab combo, or a multi hit jab. Link is basically auto combo heaven so be prepared to get hit by the same combos over and over, and don't get discouraged by it. Boomerang to boomerang chains should also work at close range and low-mid percents given not good di by the ness.

3. Edge guarding a tether can be difficult; I've gotten pretty good at dairing and nairing people out of their tethers right when they connect, so that's a possibility. If you decide to take ledge in order to do that, be cognizant of links up b; it has decent range and if he thinks you'll hit him from the side like that, he'll try to mix it up and stop the gimp like that. His head is dairable during his up b but it can get tricky, if he's doing his bomb tricks with agt and bombing himself to get back from afar, you can really only try to pkt his bomb or something I really don't know, other than that his recovery is fairly gimpable. If he's far away, you can pk flash him if you've picked up on any recovery tendencies of his, his recovery is sorta linear in nature (but I guess everyone's can be considered linear in some way).

When he's on ledge, stay back a bit and try to bait out an option; a lot the time he'll normal get up if you're far away and reset to neutral, or he'll jump get up if you're close so he can get away (theoretically), just don't get hit and try to catch him with a pk fire or a spaced fair.

4. First, id like to say link can kill your pkt with a bomb or an arrow, so...don't let that happen lol. Also, don't try to jump at eye level with link when you're offstage, especially at high percent, his arrow can and will hit you and it will gimp you outright or steal your jump. Sweetspotting the ledge isn't a bad idea here, you can't really recover from underneath because of his own punish game and insane dair priority. Recovering high or with a double jump to air dodge works best in this matchup as in most.

When on ledge, you can probably bait his up b pretty easily (depends on the player) because links know how stupid and abusable that move is on the edge because of its dumbass knockback angle. Should you be able to bait it out, any ljc punish will work, or dj fair from the ledge, just wait til the hitboxes aren't out anymore. This is much more of a bait game than "this is what you do to get off ledge every time."

5. I'm very much the wrong guy to ask about stages since I hate all of them except like fd and you probably shouldn't pick that against link. In general, you want some platforms for staying safe but you also want to be able to get in. Personally, I like having a lot of space in a stage even though that's links strong point, but I don't know if something like warioware would help you given the sheer pressure link can put out in such a small space.

6. I see it to be about 60:40 link. In an even skill matchup with even knowledge of opposing characters and even technical capabilities, link should have the edge. That said it's very doable and can be a pretty cool matchup once you get used to the rage inducing projectiles. Some might say ness has movement tricks over link and that might give him more of an edge than I'm giving him credit for, but with aerial glide toss and sheer range, link definitely holds his own.

7. Link kill moves - dair at 110%+, fair at 110%+ (depends on place in stage, off the edge you'll die pretty hard), uthrow at like 160%?, uair at like 130%+?, My link main friend uses it more in combos so idk, dsmash at like 120 given hilt hitbox connects and not stale or fantastic di, up b pretty early (watch for the oos up b), fsmash first hit later than the second, fairly early kill move, ftilt off edge at like 125, 130, dtilt spikes iirc

Links a bit heavier, so wait til around 130 or 140 for a back throw, and bair can kill out of combo at like 115, uair at around the same or a bit later.

I did this in 40 minutes sitting at work so hopefully it's as thorough as my resources allow it to be lol

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I honestly should know more about this MU as I dropped Ness for Link back in 2.1 lol. The MU is a lot better for ness than it used to, trust me. Back when Link had chaingrabs on the whole cast, and before Ness got his mobility buff, it was awful.

This is probably THE video set to reference for the MU. Everyone should just play like awestin

yeah, just watch and take notes, see what worked for austin and where he messed up and got punished.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I honestly should know more about this MU as I dropped Ness for Link back in 2.1 lol. The MU is a lot better for ness than it used to, trust me. Back when Link had chaingrabs on the whole cast, and before Ness got his mobility buff, it was awful.

This is probably THE video set to reference for the MU. Everyone should just play like awestin

yeah, just watch and take notes, see what worked for austin and where he messed up and got punished.
I think matches between Awestin and Aerolink showcase how good our combo game is against Link...but Aerolink is not a good representation of how Link should play this matchup compared to people like Wolf. Aerolink clearly knows how to do things with this character, but he plays this matchup pretty subpar from the GF set I saw between the two a few weeks ago. I'd caution people looking too hard at Awestin v. Aerolink of an indicator of what the threat actually is, although Awestin (as usual) showcases the right things to do and the right ways to punish once you land a hit.

In neutral, I agree with the previous statements that hitting Link's face is really hard for him to respond to.

I would also caution people to figure out effective ways to escape Link pressure, because Link has a LOT of frame traps. Know how to buffer rolls when you are being jabbed into other options, and maximize your punishes when he does create an opening. I think DJC Dair (Oos) is incredibly important, when challenging a missed grab/upb/nair or approach.

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lmao yeah that was a godlike pk flash

man ya boi awestin doesn't take any risks

great player

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Responding with dash grabs to missed moves is not the way to go, as link has few moves that have more than a minuscule amount of end lag tbh, that combined with the shield pressure his moves create, you need to do fast things to respond to anything that hits your shield or you spot dodge (moves like dsmash, fsmash, jab) and instant dair is really good

Whenever I shield a jab>jab, I instantly spot dodge or roll away, if you're close enough you have to roll behind instead of away or you can shield grab, this is assuming you can get in tho lol

Edit: just to add, I approach the link matchup very cautiously in terms of neutral and even when he's throwing moves out and you're really close, but once you get in on him you need to extend combos as much as you can

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I main Link (kind of lel) and played an at least decent Link (on wifi lel) as Ness a couple days ago. Pretty much my best suggestion for neutral would be to camp side platforms with spaced PK Fires and slowly take over the stage by pushing him back with your scary PK Fires. You can PK Fire his boomerang while Link is throwing it/it's close to link and pretty much go back to the stage and then mess around near the PK Fire like it's a banana while it's still burning.

When approaching be careful for jabs. Link's will jab you if you come straight on and it's pretty safe. If you get jabbed then probably my best advice would be to DI up and away since Link will typically go for Jab, Jab, Grab/D-Smash/Spin2Winscrub. Both Down Smash and grab will miss if you're a decent ways into the air.

Something you can do to get by boomerang is crouching. Ness ducks down a decent amount when crouching and when Link angles the boomerang down it has to bounce back up again so you're pretty much set if it misses you the first time.

When Link is bomb jumping to recover I'd advise using PK Flash to threaten where Link can bomb jump and then if you miss that then go for an aerial when Link is close enough so you can safely pressure him offstage without having the roles reversed.

I'll think of more random stuff later maybe. I post whatever comes to mind.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
Quick aside, I feel next week we should do pit considering the close vote and that pit is absolutely ****ing stupid

Last edited:

Bryonato

Green Hat
Pit is Ness' worst MU imo next to maybe Samus.
His 3 worst are Samus, Pit, and the current topic character imo.
Sheik is an honorable mention.

Getting the absolute most out of your punishes on Link is so, so, so important. You get that hit and you need to hang out because against a good Link you're not going to get a lot of opportunities.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I main Link (kind of lel) and played an at least decent Link (on wifi lel) as Ness a couple days ago. Pretty much my best suggestion for neutral would be to camp side platforms with spaced PK Fires and slowly take over the stage by pushing him back with your scary PK Fires. You can PK Fire his boomerang while Link is throwing it/it's close to link and pretty much go back to the stage and then mess around near the PK Fire like it's a banana while it's still burning.

When approaching be careful for jabs. Link's will jab you if you come straight on and it's pretty safe. If you get jabbed then probably my best advice would be to DI up and away since Link will typically go for Jab, Jab, Grab/D-Smash/Spin2Winscrub. Both Down Smash and grab will miss if you're a decent ways into the air.

Something you can do to get by boomerang is crouching. Ness ducks down a decent amount when crouching and when Link angles the boomerang down it has to bounce back up again so you're pretty much set if it misses you the first time.

When Link is bomb jumping to recover I'd advise using PK Flash to threaten where Link can bomb jump and then if you miss that then go for an aerial when Link is close enough so you can safely pressure him offstage without having the roles reversed.

I'll think of more random stuff later maybe. I post whatever comes to mind.
DI'ing up and away against jabs is a pretty damn good idea. I never thought to do that. That way, you only risk gettnig hit by jab jab upb or jab jab nair, which is a less common option in my experience for Link's to go for.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
More Notes: Don't challenge Link from above. Once he starts a juggle, try to reset the situation to neutral, unless you can position yourself while in hitstun to be 45 degrees above him, when you can DJC fast fall a fair to his face and start the punish game.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Pretty much how I see it is if you take a Link to a flat stage like FD or GHz your life is going to be really hard. Other people's opinions on this?

Seeing how you won't be able to camp platforms with PKFire and less options to land after recovering as well as having less places to go to dodge Link's projectiles while staying in a good spot. The trade off is Link will have "safer" juggling from underneath the platforms and MIGHT be able to camp the top platform with bombs.

On that note YI:B sounds like a bad stage too.

I just thought of something; If you get one of Link's bombs (From Z-Catching, WD OoS, etc.) you can place it on the ground or on a platform (Z right before you hit the ground, as you're rising through a platform, or as you drop through a platform.) You can ignite a PK Fire off of it. You can also do this if Link has bombs laying on the ground and you MIGHT be able to do it by Z-Dropping it in the air and DJC PK Firing it a decent distance from the ground.

Just something that might be nice to know in the future.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I like fd, platforms close together lead to getting smothered by projectiles and links big sword

Ps2 would be perfect if not for the low ceiling, if there's that 3 platform triangle set up then I wouldn't go there tbh

Last edited:

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
many of you covered most of the link mu so ill just put the important things noone covered. ive played against a good link many many times

1. if you somehow get below the stage and you know hes probably going for the up-b, there is a way to tech it and get back to stage without upb'ing again. go like you would for a sweetspot but before reaching the ledge di into the stage and tech. if you do it right youll be able tech off the top of the stage and be back saftely. it looks quite difficult but i can assure you with good stage teching practice it is very easy. be ware of the d-tilt. if he does this, even if you sweetspot the ledge, it WII KILL YOU.

2. many of you guys are saying to approach because sitting in the neutral game will lead to you getting hit by boomerang. im saying TRY YOUR BEST NOT TO APPROACH. you'll be in a way better position if he approaches you. if he continues to throw the boomerang, dont focus on getting past it, focus on not getting hit by it or letting it past you. i personally use powershields to deal with this but everyone has their own way. i see some nair or dair through it.

3. if you think that you can do something to him while he is shielding on the ground and youre in the air, YOU ARE VERY VERY VERY WRONG. ive literally tried so many things that i know for sure this is never a good option. i advise you all to stroll over to the link forums and see how far that grab goes. many times ive tried jumping at him and wavedashing back to bait the grab, AND THEN GETTING GRABBED ANYWAY EVEN WITH A FULL WAVEDASH BACK. i then tried wavedashing forward and going for the pivot grab but then i get up-b'd out of shield, is really quite frusteratng. d-tilt also doesnt work, he can somehow grab you out of it.

this is one of those mu that you should look into picking a secondary for imo. its way way to easy for link to punish you than it is for you to punish link. im not saying its impossible, ive def beat many links by just focusing on not getting hit by the boomerang, but overall its not worth it, esp in a tournament.

link to me getting bopped by some bs

^^ just look at those chaing grabs, wtf

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Oh what wow I had no idea Link still had the free chaingrabs

I wonder if you could nair/jump out though. Thats so painful

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
you cant nair or jump out of it but you can kind of magnet before he can regrab you. its really hard ( 2 frame window) but thats about it. no di will save you:crazy:

Player -0

Smash Hero
many of you covered most of the link mu so ill just put the important things noone covered. ive played against a good link many many times

1. if you somehow get below the stage and you know hes probably going for the up-b, there is a way to tech it and get back to stage without upb'ing again. go like you would for a sweetspot but before reaching the ledge di into the stage and tech. if you do it right youll be able tech off the top of the stage and be back saftely. it looks quite difficult but i can assure you with good stage teching practice it is very easy. be ware of the d-tilt. if he does this, even if you sweetspot the ledge, it WII KILL YOU.

2. many of you guys are saying to approach because sitting in the neutral game will lead to you getting hit by boomerang. im saying TRY YOUR BEST NOT TO APPROACH. you'll be in a way better position if he approaches you. if he continues to throw the boomerang, dont focus on getting past it, focus on not getting hit by it or letting it past you. i personally use powershields to deal with this but everyone has their own way. i see some nair or dair through it.

3. if you think that you can do something to him while he is shielding on the ground and youre in the air, YOU ARE VERY VERY VERY WRONG. ive literally tried so many things that i know for sure this is never a good option. i advise you all to stroll over to the link forums and see how far that grab goes. many times ive tried jumping at him and wavedashing back to bait the grab, AND THEN GETTING GRABBED ANYWAY EVEN WITH A FULL WAVEDASH BACK. i then tried wavedashing forward and going for the pivot grab but then i get up-b'd out of shield, is really quite frusteratng. d-tilt also doesnt work, he can somehow grab you out of it.

this is one of those mu that you should look into picking a secondary for imo. its way way to easy for link to punish you than it is for you to punish link. im not saying its impossible, ive def beat many links by just focusing on not getting hit by the boomerang, but overall its not worth it, esp in a tournament.

link to me getting bopped by some bs

^^ just look at those chaing grabs, wtf
For the CG's they're guaranteed until a bit later but even with the chain not grabbing in the air nerf Link can still CG quite a few of the cast with Down Throw. Lucas is questionably a good MU for Link too because he can CG to really high percents and gimping is a piece of cake with Nair (Link's Nair be amazing).

So I repeat, Link has CG's on quite a bunch of the cast even with the no grab in the air nerf.

For you not being able to pressure Link's shield it looked like you were fine with the D-Tilt until you kept doing it and it pushed Link far enough away for him to be able to grab you. Try D-Tilting and jumping back or through and PKFiring. If you're behind Link then his main options for OoS are WD, Nair, Bair, Dair, and Spin2wingetrektscrub. Pressuring his shield with PKFire and punishing the roll is probably the best idea.

So if you get off of the ground then Link's grab magically only happens at his hand.

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
i had other videos of me showing my other options out of dtilt against link but alot of it was erased. when i d tilt i tried 6 options against him
1. dtilt to grab
2.dtilt to ftilt
3. d tild to dair.
4. dtilt to retreat pkf
5.dtilt to jab(s)
6.dtilt to utilt ( dependant on di)

the only option i could do against link reliably is #5. everything else i was immediately grabbed before i could do it. dtilt to retreating pkfire sounds like a good idea but he gets me when i jump in the air with grab. ive done it to noob links but it doesnt work on him

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I don't see why repeated dtilts until Link is in the position you want wouldn't work. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Maybe you should only use it at higher percents so Link goes upward, leading to a grab?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Wen't 1-2 against Wolf twice on Saturday, marking my first time taking a tournament game off Wolf! I'll post the videos when they are uploaded.

Bryonato

Green Hat
I think it's time for a new discussion. If I can get everyone's final opinion on MU spread and a suggestion for the next discussion that would be great!

My vote is for Ganon

Top Bottom