• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] R.O.B.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I've been playing against (and having an exceptionally hard time against) a bunch of ROBs lately. He has hard hits, big recovery, odd projectiles, comes off deceptively quick, and seems to have no easy way to approach him.
That being said, I'm having a blast trying to figure out how to fight him, but since I'm still working on my own approach against him I figure it'd be a decent idea to bring it to the place that matters for discussion (that and there was no thread in our matchup sticky for this, so why not?).

But does anyone else have a tough time with this dude?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I have only played vs one ROB, offline at that, and he's decent I think. I usually refrain from posting on MU threads since I think my MU experience isn't applicable to the US scene, but in this case I do want to share a couple of things which I think are universal.

One is, use zair. Rob is tall so the zair is a great spacing tool when trying to keep him at bay. However, he can match our spam with his gyro, which I hate. My suggestion would be to challenge the gyro with a gale or pick it up.

Also, don't challenge ROB's airgame since he will win every time. What you can do it bait them and then go in for a punish since they are somewhat laggy. Be careful

Finally, his recovery really lends itself to being hit off stage but since it's good he'll make it back easily. If you want to him him then always us your projectiles first and later you aerials to get him to run out of upB. You can also go for an easy stage spike if he recovers low since he has no hitbox on his upB.

That's it, I guess. Go to the vid thread and check out Kirin's replay vs Chibo.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
dont let him hit you with the gyro, and dont let blocking the gyro think you are good since the laser beats everything you got.

If he tries to kill you with anything besides dthrow>uair or upthrow its super punishable and he isn't super heavy

Rob game plan is throw **** at you to force you to shield and then throw you. Don't let him do that.

Watch his spike too. Use your bombs to cover your ascent.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
His laser doesn't beat our Hylian shield though, so we can cover with it if we caught the gyro.

ronniem3

Smash Rookie
I know I had a hard time with R.O.B's aerial hit boxes at first. Learning that and where it causes him to move (particularly the Dair and Bair) helped me a lot.

TrevyTrev

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrevyTrev510
I'm getting better with the R.O.B match up but I'm still having difficulties. I tried to out space him but that doesn't really work, so I'm leaning more towards keeping the neutral game close. Still tough for me though.

Koby_T

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kobyteith
I'm getting better with the R.O.B match up but I'm still having difficulties. I tried to out space him but that doesn't really work, so I'm leaning more towards keeping the neutral game close. Still tough for me though.
Thanks for the update :p

In all seriousness though, attempting a close spacing is the opposite of what you want here. The absolute closest you should be (on purpose) is roughly max Zair range. Pelt him with SH arrows from a reasonable distance, control your immediate area with bombs, and try to force him to approach.

Rob's projectiles are less potent at a distance. Laser will only hit you if you fall asleep and uncharged gyro is equivalent to handing you a weapon.

ROB can punish our laggy options up close really hard. He has some really fast options and great grab combos. Stay back, make him come to you.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I think what makes the match up so difficult is the fact that R.O.B.'s projectile game out does ours 10/10 times. And even if we get up close, R.O.B can still threaten us with his decent grab game.

I think the one good thing we got over R.O.B. is his giant hurtbox, making options like Zair and SH arrows much easier to land. He's also got an easy recovery that can be extremely easy to gimp. We have great edge-guarding options.

This is truly a match-up that proves that if we had better/faster (less laggy) close combat options we'd be way more viable since R.O.B. destroys us at camping and is able to beat us even in close quarters.

I'd say the match-up is 4-6 (R.O.B) however, by the holy Grace of sakurai, if the next patch improves our sword game in the manner that it truly needs, then the match-up can easily change.

Last edited:

JTF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hipster_JTF
R.O.B. beats Link a decent amount IMO. I play vs him a decent amount(R.O.B. player names Virus) and I think the MU is 35/65. He has the tools to make it hard for you to approach and has a really good combo game on Link since he is heavy.

Blessed Spartan

Smash Rookie
So is there still no update on this thread then. I'm still struggling with ROB at the moment. I find him very tough to approach because his gyro if dodged will hang around the platform, especially if it clanks with my own projectiles.

I'm also not sure how to play this MU, do we rush him down or do we try the game of attrition.

Goulmania

Smash Cadet
NNID
Goulmania
I'm also not sure how to play this MU, do we rush him down or do we try the game of attrition.
let's see,

I had the chance to go up against HolyNightmare and HoH AKAgenesis, here's how I think we should play that match-up.

first up, if you can get rid of smashville do it. This stage gives him mobility while charging his gyro on the plateform and it's dangerous for link to go up there to prevent it.

NEUTRAL

In the neutral you want to watch out for his 2 projectiles and keep track of his laser charge. At 80% you must play against grab because if you do get grabbed you're dead to Dthrow>Uair. At around 100-110% it becomes a 50/50 on the airdodge read.

it's best to keep him at sword lenght and just weave in and out of that range. (weave out to pull out a bomb or throw a boomerang and weave in to pressure and punish his attempts to relieve that pressure.)

You can pressure him with jabs, Fairs and Zairs.

You can get some good % with jab setups in grab and tilts because he is big and heavy.

What do I do if I can't get close?

Simple, try harder! I assume you can't get close because of a pesky gyro spinning of the floor, grab it and ROB will come to you! If the gyro is not on the field, you can just walk up to him and shield his stuff while being careful of the grab mix-up. You can then proceed to pressure him with jabs

LASER

The laser is the main reason why I think ROB should be kept at sword length, a good rob will get free punishes as we pull out bombs and search for that boomerang in that infinite pocket of ours.
The big laser destroys bombs while the small one does not.

GYRO

Grab the gyro if you can, it can be very anoying for rob if you camp him with his gyro in hand. You can "bombslide" the gyro which can lead to fair, RAR bair>Up-B and possibly other stuff as well be creative ;).

You can also toss it down to punish neutral get up on the ledge and do some gyro set-ups of your own. This can lead to up smash easily and maybe Fsmash (yet to be tested).

if you don't feel confident in your gyro play just toss it up so it's out of play longer.

if he leaves his gyro on the ledge as you try to recover you have few options:
- let got of the ledge double jump>fair and try to catch the gyro (if he read that and catches you before you hit the ground you're probably dead since you'll be off-stage without a jump)
- roll, but don't do that since he's most likely waiting for an Usmash
- if you have a bomb you can ledge jump, toss it down to cover you escape and return to neutral.
- you can also stay on the ledge and wait it out, He may commit to a Dair or Dilt, this may give you the time to ledge roll away. Carful not to get baited though!

also of note, if you Zair his gyro while it's flying at you it will bounce back and you will win the trade.

ROB's main spacing tools are Fair, Nair and Dtilt.

NAIR
They love to drop down with Nair since it has no landing lag. Whatever you do, don't try to shield grab it, you will get punished for it. You can punish it while he's in the air with Fair or Nair if you do it before the fire comes to your side (it begins below and goes clockwise)

FAIR
If you think they'll go for a Fair just bait it and up tilt or shield grab it, you will not win against it with your own aerials.

DTILT
There's nothing we can do against Dtilt other than back off, I find myself jumping over ROB and try to convert from the 1st hit of Bair more often than not when I think they'll go for Dtilt. If they shield, jump back boomerang or Nair should keep you safe enough.

EDIT: Offstage game
When you're off stage, you want to mix-up your recovery not to get spiked, I prefer to use the clawshot against rob, either reel-in before he can react or delay to avoid the spike.

When he's off stage you want to wait for up-B and throw bombs at him in the hope that you can convert into Dair or Fair. Dont just Dair him since his Uair beats it and you will loose stage control or even worst, it can end up stage spiking link.

How do I get the kill?

I find Dthrow>Uair pretty easy to lend on ROB from about 105% to 120%, you can also bait the airdodge after Dthrow and make him land in a charged Usmash.

Fair is now a good option to zone and kill from neutral which is nice.

His weigh also makes him prone to jab setups like jab2>Up-B/Usmash/Fsmash

if all else fails Uthrow at 170% but let's not think about it too much! D:

OVERVIEW

I covered the basics of how I think this matchup should be played, the rest is pretty much situational. You have to respect his options and his camping game since he has one of the few projectiles that can beat the bomb. He is a camper though so if you get in his space he will try to relieve pressure and that when you can get the %.

Hope I helped a little!

Last edited:

Blessed Spartan

Smash Rookie
it helps knowledge wise, but i guess its going to take a while. This MU just feels horrid to play.

Top Bottom