• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Captain Falcon

Officious

Teh Scrub
Recently I've been running into quite a few more competent Captain Falcons out on For Glory.

My projectiles have certainly helped and bomb dropping on the stage has been an absolute godsend defensively, however with Falcon's speed he gets through eventually. That, or I'll end up going on the offensive and getting a bit over-zealous.

At low-ish percents I've been caught up in Falcon's Uair>2ndJump>Uair and quite a few other quick combos out of getting thrown around up to dangerous percents.

I may have a bad habit of throwing out Nairs anytime I can since it feels like a relatively quick option and the priority is fantastic in other matchups.

How have all of you been dealing with Captian Falcon mains? I wasn't able to find any other MU threads regarding Captain Falcon on our side, if so a link would be appreciated.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Falcon is very fast this time around, and if he has the tiniest opening he will grab you, after which he can combo and juggle you very well because of Link's weight. Shielding a Nair or not auto-cancelling is the perfect opportunity for a grab already; be careful with every move. It's a difficult match-up. I play very defensively, spacing as well as I can and baiting a lot. Carelessness will get you destroyed.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Falcons like to falcon kick a lot. Block it and punish him. It's very easy for me to punish Falcon players in general.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Ugh, it seems like Melee all over again. Falcon pretty much craps over anyone with bad endlag in their attacks in general it seems.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
I got a demolished by Falcon ten seconds ago. Contemplating the meaning of life.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Anyone can feel free to correct me on any of these because I'm just writing on my experiences and studying of the Captain.

Falcon's speed is going to be a big thing to contend with, especially that sliding grab. Add to that the raw hitting power and combo capability, and it's a dangerous situation.
A common combo you'll see from them is grab, down throw, Uair (maybe twice), then maybe attempt to spike with Dair (depending on your damage and location). This one will hurt. FF-Nair is one of your better defenses if you can DI a little away midair.

Intelligent projectiles are your friend.
If a Captain Falcon is closing the gap, you need to be very sure you have enough space and time to throw that boomerang. The windup on it is just long enough that the Captain can hit you before you throw it. You'll get punished if you keep spamming it and get predictable.
If you're in the air and he's having to close to you from the ground, angle your boomerang, FF Nair, or Zair. Seriously, Zair is your friend. Use it.
If he's trying to dash and grab you, start grabbing him first and punish him. If you become predictable, you'll be in trouble.
Be very ready for bombs and arrows to break his momentum. Boomerang works fine, but remember if he's too close, he'll interrupt it and punish you.
In the air, your Fair works well since it reaches further out, but keep this one fresh.
If you can Sidestep and Dsmash, Dtilt, or Ftlit, you can punish them.
Use quick attacks. I've found that if you're on the ground and he's in the air, we can pepper him with attacks fairly well. Angled boomerang, Bomb spam, Utilt, Usmash, SH/FF Uair, Nair, Bair, Air Dodge to Dair (risky, be very careful on this, it will hurt if you mess up! I suggest only using it once - maybe twice if you MUST). However, this can all go out the window if he decides to Falcon Kick into the ground, at which point shield and counter.

For those Captain Falcons that love to spam Falcon Kicks and Raptor Dives, shield and counter. You can try to grab or bomb to break this up. You have to be precise though, or else it'll hurt. The good news is that the lag after the falcon kicks and raptor dives works well for us.
Every so often, I see one who tries to reverse falcon punch to edgeguard - just don't fall into this. This is really uncommon, but be wary. Remember, a Falcon Punch can be deceptively quick, and now that it can turn directions, you have to decide to either punish immediately or make sure you're far enough away to not be touched. If you're indecisive, just give it space and punish him AFTERWARDS.
Falcon defending the ledge in the air is deadly - especially his quick spiking Dair. The guy hurts when we're trying to recover. Tether recovery can help but remember, we can still be spiked or hit while we're tethering to the stage. But don't be afraid (if you have the angles) to boomerang, bomb, or arrow. If he's waiting for us while we're on the ledge, don't just jump, roll, or attack in the most standard fashion (we'll get grabbed, elbowed, or knee-of-doomed pretty hard). Sometimes, short hop and lead into Fair or Nair or Zair. If you have a bomb, use it.
A smart Captain Falcon will mix up his approaches, because he wants to plant his foot firmly between your lungs and lower intestine. What I mean is, his speed and agility allow him to quickly approach, quickly stop, jump, or quickly swap directions to wait for your ranged attacks to finish. Sometimes just switching up your timing on your projectiles is enough to help here.

In the end, there's no magic formula that constantly works. We have to utilize all our weapons, play very smart, very tactical, and realize that we can't make many mistakes or be too predictable. We especially can't be predictable here. CF is fast enough and hits hard enough that, should we be predictable, we will be in serious trouble because of the amount of punishment we'll take.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
Falcon's love their dash grab and during the match they'll probably be going for that a lot. I've found Link's own grab really helpful in this MU (fast characters with good dash grabs in general), as it stops them in their tracks before they can get to you and they'll probably be expecting a projectile but Link's grab comes out too fast for them to react to. Just don't go crazy or get predictable with it. Idk tho, I've never been up against a really good falcon.

EDIT: Skydogc already said this, my bad. carry on

Last edited:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
I'll definitely try the counter grab now that two of you have said it. Could work well, it just never occurred to me to try it..

I would also add going for the Nair gimp whenever possible, it seems to work well offstage and it take more hits than usual to kill him since he's pretty heavy (slightly heavier than Link in this game for some reason instead of matching weights). It's almost not fair how fast and heavy he is at the same time.

I agree he can power through projectiles well, but bombs seems to work very well. I wouldn't rely on the boomerang too much, unless he's at mid/far distance.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
I'll definitely try the counter grab now that two of you have said it. Could work well, it just never occurred to me to try it..

I would also add going for the Nair gimp whenever possible, it seems to work well offstage and it take more hits than usual to kill him since he's pretty heavy (slightly heavier than Link in this game for some reason instead of matching weights). It's almost not fair how fast and heavy he is at the same time.

I agree he can power through projectiles well, but bombs seems to work very well. I wouldn't rely on the boomerang too much, unless he's at mid/far distance.
I agree with this. Boomerang shouldn't be used as much as Links normally use it in this match up cause Falcon's just too fast and it produces too much down time. Don't be charging your arrows at all unless you're going for an offstage snipe. You're going to want to be using quick projectiles to keep him under constant hit stun to follow up with some of your more powerful moves. Also, instead of grabbing to stop a dashing falcon you can always wait for him to come to you and jab him. This is handy cause it doesn't take much commitment like link's grab does. Jabs and speedy moves in general will be really great in this match up. Link's main problem against Falcon is dealing with his speed. He can overwhelm you super quickly. Be precise and don't get impatience. Waiting for the right moment to strike with one of Link's stronger sword moves is critical; you don't want to be whiffing anything

D

Deleted member

Either I've played at best sub-par C. Falcons or I've just been getting lucky because C. Falcon is one of my favorite characters to fight as Link.

(Or maybe Link has a favorable matchup, I have no idea)

Of those that I've fought, I manage to keep them "out of my space" if you will with retreating SH bombs as well as boomerangs which catch them near its max range (the hitbox that lingers just before the boomerang makes the return trip).

To be more specific, I typically bank the boomerang off the ground and the lingering hitbox after the bounce seems to catch them off-guard.

I also like to throw out SHFF Nairs here and there (or just a SH Nair), if timed well (a fresh Nair that is) it'll cleanly punish a Falcon Kick (and in turn, a Wizard's Foot) mid-kick.

I also use the late contact hitbox (as I call it, does that have a specific name?) of the Nair while fast falling to punish (granted, a light punish) dash attacks since Falcon's dash attack has some end lag.

I.E. SH above/out of reach of dash attack, Nair, fast fall towards Falcon.

At low-mid percent (say 35%+, I think) the hitstun is enough to allow Link to land and return to idle stance before Falcon can follow up with a jab or something, ergo, you aren't completely vulnerable after doing this. (At 0% there isn't enough hitstun to keep Falcon from hitting you back, of course).

Literally running away from Falcon with a bomb and then pivot throwing it right at him is another thing that I've caught him off-guard with before.

Falcon doesn't have Super Armor on anything that he can use to get in your face (THANK GOODNESS) so I just feed a bomb to a Falcon that tries to come after me with Raptor Boost (that or Shield Grab the thing) or is just running right at me.

Which of course goes nicely with a SH Nair or Fair as follow up at low or mid percent.

So yeah I honestly don't fear C. Falcon at all right now.~

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Some other tips imo. Like folks said, grabs & jabs work great for combating his dash grab (which is super good). Jabs are very nice because you can stretch them out between hits (press A each time you jab as opposed to holding A). This way you can vary your jab speed or throw them when one lingers. In addition, you can actually jab cancel, which allows you to jab again very quickly.

Also keep in mind that Falcon can't shield when he first STARTS his dash. That's the time to pelt him with projectiles if possible.

As others said, I find UTilt and grabs upon landing laggy moves (like Falcon Kick to the ground) a great way to punish. Also, if a Falcon is above you, pelt him with bombs and use that UAir. It has a tipper iirc, and it lingers for quite a while. In addition, if you didn't hit him with the first UAir, you can always fast fall, and target Falcon again if he isn't fast falling (I find this honestly works with most characters).

I also assume you could theoretically spot dodge Falcon's dash grab right?

Edit: I played a much better Falcon last night on For Glory, and man it's hard avoiding that dash grab. I started bomb planting a lot and that helped me a little bit, and occasionally baited the grab and tried to spot dodge it with various degrees of success. For what it's worth, of Link's aerials, his back airs seemed to work fairly well against Falcon. I assume this is because it had more range.

Last edited:

Sn0wman

Smash Rookie
Luckily (or unluckily) for me, I regularly go up against Captain Falcon's. My two friends I play against both main him, for fun we play a three player free for all then go into some 1 on 1's. Whether I am just getting better at knowing what my friends play like, or that I'm ok at the Link Falcon matchup is up in the air. The best advice that I can give is to be patient, don't rush in, keep that boomerang in play and punish when the opportunity arises.

I find that the worst thing that I do is mindlessly rush in, although Link has a sword for close combat to keep space, when I rush in I regularly come off worse. When I do get into close combat with a Falcon, I find the use of jabs into smashes seem to work well, use U-tilt to cover your head or shield and punish when you get the read.

That’s just my experience, and I agree with everything that skydogc has said, give his comment a read and experiment. But that’s what we Link players are up against, it’s all part of the fun! And besides… Link is a badass.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
:falconmelee:
I am a Falcon main, and one of my friends happens to main Link. Here are the two things I hate the most when I go up against him:

1) Link's neutral A: I often get nailed by this when I try going for a dashing grab among other attacks. It has more range than my freaking f-tilt!
2) Link's n-air: this one has often saved my friend from being juggled by Falcon's u-airs, as it is quick. Of course, it also saved him from my sweet, sweet f-airs on many occasions.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Nair is actually really good since it stops almost every approach Falcon has. DownB and SideB are stopped by nair. They don't even trade, nair has higher priority.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Nair is actually really good since it stops almost every approach Falcon has. DownB and SideB are stopped by nair. They don't even trade, nair has higher priority.
So the lesson of the day for Link mains is, in big red letters so that even someone giving a passing glance to these messages can see it:

ABUSE LINK'S NEUTRAL AIR!

Teh Sandwich

Smash Apprentice
Falcons like to falcon kick a lot. Block it and punish him. It's very easy for me to punish Falcon players in general.
This is false.
Ugh, it seems like Melee all over again. Falcon pretty much craps over anyone with bad endlag in their attacks in general it seems.
Link has some of the fastest arials in the game. Tied with shiek in terms of end lag.

This is a very hard MU, I find. You need to use projectiles very wisely. If you try to throw a projectile right after another one, you'll probably be grabbed after the second one.
jabs can work wonders. However, he can escape pretty much all of links jab follow-ups. If i land a jab, I'll usually do the full jab combo, then follow up with an arrow to read his tech. At mid-higher percents, I'll start Landing jab to grabs. Then when he's about 140 I'll go for the jab-Dsmash.
You need to keep your defense on point without relying on projectiles.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ skydogc skydogc That image is amazing.

Falcon main here. If you give us room to play, we will demolish you. Use your projectiles to space us out and use your range to keep us at bay. Falcon's main approach is either dash grab or dash attack, don't be afraid to grab if you think you spot either. There's also dash>SHnair.

If you get momentum, keep it up. Falcon is not good under pressure. Press your advantage, but be smart about it or he'll pull off a complete reversal. Especially watch out for his backair. I call it the Falcon Pimpslap.

I wish I could offer more advice, but I haven't fought but a few Links, and maybe two good ones.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Falcon's main approach is either dash grab or dash attack, don't be afraid to grab if you think you spot either.
It should be noted that not only does nair also stop and cancel his dash attack, dash grab and dash shnair, our Jab also stops the first two. If you see falcon rushing at you and you're fast enough, you can actually Jab and cancel into combos. Link's jabs will stop a rushing opponent dead on their tracks (fox, Sheik, Sonic, falcon).

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I'm a Link main, but play a little Falcon too. As a falcon, I'd go for his dash grab combos; to counter that, use Link's arrows that come out fast, or if you have a bomb use that. You can also do a retreating zair, that works too. If you get caught, use Links fastest moves like jab or nair, or just block/DI, then punish the follow-up. Also, be mindful of his off-stage antics. If he short-hops off the stage facing you, he's going for down air spike. If he jumps backwards, he probably would do his bair, but he can still do his dair, so watch for a second jump. If you get sent offstage, use Link's boomerang or bombs, that usually deters them.

And yes, be weary of the knee of justice.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
I just played a pretty solid Falcon. Man, the nerf to Link in the last patch really hurt his ability to properly kill him. I kept it close for many of the games, but I just couldn't get the finishing kill when we were both in rage mode.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Its hard to confirm a kill against any defensive competent person. Try throwing him off stage. Falcons recovery is extremely linear and easy to stop. One good read with an nair, even if not sweetspotted, can set him up for a kill. Alternatively it's highly possible to spike him off the bottom of the stage with Nair and get a kill.

Walls of Nairs are dangerous to your enemies off stage.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Tbh guys, Falcon has trouble getting a kill confirm too due to Link's strong defensive game. Most of Falcon's kills will mostly stem from throwing you offstage since Falcon literally has to get inside to land his safer moves, like bair for example.

FierceGaiety

Smash Cadet
Never ever let C. Falc get momentum going if you can help it. WHen playing both as him and against him I've noticed that once they get going and find their groove it's really tough to make them fear you again. This probably has something to do with C. Falc being so fun to play as.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
2) Link's n-air: this one has often saved my friend from being juggled by Falcon's u-airs, as it is quick. Of course, it also saved him from my sweet, sweet f-airs on many occasions.
Knee of Justice, meet the Foot of Nope. Thank you everyone for the Nair advice; I incorporated that into my game last night and felt an immediate improvement.

If customs are on, Meteor Bombs are a YES! .. Even if you're not really a MB kind of person, 1213 practically turns the MU into one vs. Little Mac recovery. The better range on the 'rang helps when recovering from far away because it gets in the way of Falcon's spike attempts.

Question: the Captain seems to fall down a lot, lying down on his bum cause he tripped on my zoning or something. What are the rules that govern a hit vs. a knockdown? I ask because default arrows can frequently combo him OTG right afterward, and sometimes the Wooden Boomerang can combo him after that!

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
It should be noted that not only does nair also stop and cancel his dash attack, dash grab and dash shnair, our Jab also stops the first two. If you see falcon rushing at you and you're fast enough, you can actually Jab and cancel into combos. Link's jabs will stop a rushing opponent dead on their tracks (fox, Sheik, Sonic, falcon).
You are wrong my fellow...
I always play against my brother's C. Falcon (one of the best in my country), and since Jab1 is uncancelable, you can't jab his approuches. This is because your opponent can simply shield cancel his run (you know, when you keep tilted the stick in the run direction and press R or L to shield), and then grab you (or jab you) out of your jabs. It is impossible against a good player with a fast char to jab his approuch, because the max range of your jab is enough to shield it and keeping the momentum to approuch you and punish you.
In other hand, retreating Zair, as Kenshin said, is more safe and keep the distance very well.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
You are wrong my fellow...
I always play against my brother's C. Falcon (one of the best in my country), and since Jab1 is uncancelable, you can't jab his approuches. This is because your opponent can simply shield cancel his run (you know, when you keep tilted the stick in the run direction and press R or L to shield), and then grab you (or jab you) out of your jabs. It is impossible against a good player with a fast char to jab his approuch, because the max range of your jab is enough to shield it and keeping the momentum to approuch you and punish you.
In other hand, retreating Zair, as Kenshin said, is more safe and keep the distance very well.
I wrote that before the patch that removed our Jab cancel came out, so yes, now the advise is bad. The issue with balance patches is that some render pre-patch MU discussions null, such as this case.

FSK

Smash Ace
I play falcon a lot, I suck, but I do know some of the basics. Anyway I've played some of the other Links on these boards and something they all had in common was that they didn't really know how to handle the MU. Therefore I had some 'serious' friendlies with Cat who in my opinion plays the MU really well. I would recommend all of you to watch them and see how he mixes up his recovery, how he DI's my throws and how he uses bombs to make it really difficult for me to get in.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOjvEdIw93o

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRUf9RCG3m4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVh9CKl0-As

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sqzkSGijiM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHxYRqg0qGE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jF3nK7N_U

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
DELETE MY POST. I have failed the admins... maybe my crazy high screen resolution had more pages on 1st than I figured. My apologies guys.

Last edited:

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
Recently I've been running into quite a few more competent Captain Falcons out on For Glory.

My projectiles have certainly helped and bomb dropping on the stage has been an absolute godsend defensively, however with Falcon's speed he gets through eventually. That, or I'll end up going on the offensive and getting a bit over-zealous.

At low-ish percents I've been caught up in Falcon's Uair>2ndJump>Uair and quite a few other quick combos out of getting thrown around up to dangerous percents.

I may have a bad habit of throwing out Nairs anytime I can since it feels like a relatively quick option and the priority is fantastic in other matchups.

How have all of you been dealing with Captian Falcon mains? I wasn't able to find any other MU threads regarding Captain Falcon on our side, if so a link would be appreciated.
I actually main Captain Falcon and Link. I've spent way more time with Captain falcon. The most struggle I have while playing as him is being spammed with projectiles. You can't really do anything. So a tip on playing against Captain Falcon is to use the most projectiles as you can. Also use a lot of mixups. You can use Zair a lot too. Hope this helped. ^-^

JTF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hipster_JTF
This is honestly one of the MU's I dread to play against. I feel like falcon can just combo you for 40% easily and can get in with no problem. I haven't beat a Falcon in tournament yet, and that is because each one I have played utilizes their combos so well and make it almost imposible to try to even up the percent deficit.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
Falcon Main reporting in for some Knee of Justice delivery!
On the Link V. Falcon fight you guys definetly have a problem when we close the gap. Although it does sound lame, us falcons have a horrid neutral game. We can't approach with anything besides nair, and shield. Your bombs, and Bow get rid of the nair problem. The only other problem is weather we will shield or directly grab. From here my suggestion would be to go for SHFF Zair into grab or Jab. Now is were the mind games come in were you put fear into our eyes. A couple of variations are:
-Empty hop into grab (Tomahawk)
-SHFF Zair into grab.
-This is a very risky maneuver, but Hop into airdodge into Nair/Dair.
-Empty hop to pull out bomb, as a combo breaker threat.
Us Falcons have are very fast, don't underestimate us at all. Try to do different mix ups to ensure you don't get read and uair'd to infinitey, and don't mash air dodge, as that's an easy Knee and a Side Taunt.
tl;dr
-Projectile spam from distant
-Zair (on shield)-->is excellent mixup
-Always try different mixups, or else it can cost a stock
-NEVER be predictable.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
I just bomb drop and throw the boomerang bouncing up wards towards the floor.
If he jumps, punish with Nair or Zair.
If he rolls, Do a down smash or pivot Ftilt or Ftilt in general.
If he double jumps, come out with a up smash.
SHEILD ONLY when you feel like he will dash attack. Then quickly punish with Dsmash.
Most Falcons will go for a dash grab. You can either spot dodge and punish or roll behind him.
IF YOU ARE GRABBED, jump air dodge your way to safety and try to land with a Nair.
Have a bad connection.

Results may very.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
If he rolls, Do a down smash or pivot Ftilt or Ftilt in general.
Jabbing is probably the better/safer option here since its fast and can cover more frames due to its multiple hits. Also if you hit it you can put them in a tech chase position and/or just safely get them off of you.

If he double jumps, come out with a up smash.
Usmash is a pretty risky move and its not good to just throw it out every time he double jumps. If he anticipates it, he can easily dodge it and even punish in some situations if you didnt let him land safely already.
The better thing to do when hes right above you (with or without double jump) is to wait until he's in range for your utilt.

SHEILD ONLY when you feel like he will dash attack. Then quickly punish with Dsmash.
Why only dsmash? At low % its best to shieldgrab it and go for a dthrow > utilt or whatever the best follow up may be in that situation. At kill % you can also usmash which will kill earlier or fsmash if hes in the right range, but then again you could probably still dthrow > uair.

Most Falcons will go for a dash grab. You can either spot dodge and punish or roll behind him.
Or, if anticipated, punish it immediately with a jab because like I said, it gets him off of you and puts you in a better position.

IF YOU ARE GRABBED, jump air dodge your way to safety and try to land with a Nair.
This easily gets baited and punished after a while, if the falcon drops his combo in the first place. But if he does, try to mix the way you escape up, rather than being a one-sided predictable scrub.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Jabbing is probably the better/safer option here since its fast and can cover more frames due to its multiple hits. Also if you hit it you can put them in a tech chase position and/or just safely get them off of you.

Usmash is a pretty risky move and its not good to just throw it out every time he double jumps. If he anticipates it, he can easily dodge it and even punish in some situations if you didnt let him land safely already.
The better thing to do when hes right above you (with or without double jump) is to wait until he's in range for your utilt.

Why only dsmash? At low % its best to shieldgrab it and go for a dthrow > utilt or whatever the best follow up may be in that situation. At kill % you can also usmash which will kill earlier or fsmash if hes in the right range, but then again you could probably still dthrow > uair.

Or, if anticipated, punish it immediately with a jab because like I said, it gets him off of you and puts you in a better position.

This easily gets baited and punished after a while, if the falcon drops his combo in the first place. But if he does, try to mix the way you escape up, rather than being a one-sided predictable scrub.
Thanks. I'm not a huge Falcon MU person. Thats just what I do. I have more of a defensive play style.

But about the above you thing, Up tilt is kinda risky cause if read, he can double jump into Dair or worse... the knee.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks. I'm not a huge Falcon MU person. Thats just what I do. I have more of a defensive play style.

But about the above you thing, Up tilt is kinda risky cause if read, he can double jump into Dair or worse... the knee.
Even if the Falcon manages to DJ away from Utilt, unless he manages to do it before Utilt comes out it's quite unlikely that he'll be able to get a Dair or Fair out before Link can go back into his shield. And even then it'd be difficult because Falcon would have to DJ -> immediate FF -> Aerial in order to connect with anything, and given the startup of Dair, again, it'd be unlikely he could touch Link before Link can re-enter shield.

DJ -> FF Fair for the Knee sweetspot would be even harder to connect, especially given the tighter sweetspot (IMO) it seems to have in Smash 4.

GerMoj

Smash Cadet
NNID
GerMoj
3DS FC
2595-0240-5750
One of my friends main Falcon so I have some experience dealing with him. The most important thing on both characters is that both lack a 100% kill confirm so most of the time the MU becomes an edgeguard war because both have predictable recovery.

Mainly Falcon struggles in aproaching so setting up some walls is really important. Pivot boomerang, soft bombs and aerials (All hail the Foot of Nope) can help us really good, just keep it mixed because if you stick with the same pattern Falcon will eventually catch up and wreck us at CQC.

Most of the time we might try to play the neutral game poking and spacing (spacing is really important if you want to punish Falcon's aproaches). One thing I'Ve found useful I'd to always keep moving. Jumping to pull out bombs and throwing boomerangs (mix short and full ) can keep us in a good position to keep the footsies going. The name of the game is patiencie as racking up damage can help us really well because we may be able to use U-tilt to get a kill instead of U-Smash. The same goes with F-Tilt (for Killing) and even Jab for positioning.

Bombs are probably our best friends because they help us convert the footsies into KO, zone him out and condition him to shield. Try to space him so he is forced to shield the bomb instead of spotdodging it as this way you can capitalize on him. Another thing that sometimes work is to throw bombs up and try to wall it behind that line. It will disuade a Grab if you wall him near the place it will land and if you seem it is unavoidable you can position yourself to be grabbed there and avoid a bigger punish (you will pop up so be ready to Nair or react to him) Bomb also helps us to edgeguard better allowing us into going low by throwing them into the ledge and catching with an aerial. You can time it to hit Falco (kinda better way to get spikes and stage spikes with D-air because you force an air dodge or trade near the ledge and D-air lingers enough to hit after the air dodge) be wary to do this only when they recover low because if they recover mid or high you can be spiked instead. If you do this too early, don't worry as you can catch him midway with your Up-B coming from below into the blastzone and possibly killing or gimping to get the stock. Then we can return thanks to the bomb exploding. We can be flashy too :) Be wary though this agressive edgeguard needs practice and comitment and it is not that easy to perform.

In our case, when returning from stage I like to carry a bomb. That's because if he doesn't goes for style and tries to gimp us with Bair or Nair we can get back. Also it helps converting his edgeguard into ours if he tries to spike/knee and whiffs so a reverse Up-B can get him and the bomb will sAve us; finally, a bomb let us throw a boomerang easier so we can still make it to the ledge on some edgeguards and possible mess Falcon's recovery with gale (very rare, but not impossible). I don't like the tether because you get no invincibility and a good read from them can Kill you, but it can be a nice mixup.

Possibly there are better ways to deal with Falcon, and I'm wrong on some things in here so any critics are welcomed.

Top Bottom