• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Wii Fit Trainer

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Getting past his wall of projectiles and his long reach in melee with his sword, what can be done with WFT to lessen the irritation going against Link? What's the overall stance between the two in general?

Last edited:
This will do fine, just edit the original post, and we can begin discussing the match up here.

I personally believe it's even, but that's probably because I fight relatively few Wii Fit Trainers and haven't had the match up forced into me the way other match ups have been.

I can say you need to watch out for a good Link's jab game and that with a little tech skill you can compensate for the hitbox on WFT's Fair by subbing in a different aerial while till moving forward.

You should also try cross overs, landing behind Link when he's in his shield puts you at the advantage and gives you momentum. It's especially good if it looks like you might land in front of him and he grabs on reflex, giving you a free attack.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
This will do fine, just edit the original post, and we can begin discussing the match up here.

I personally believe it's even, but that's probably because I fight relatively few Wii Fit Trainers and haven't had the match up forced into me the way other match ups have been.

I can say you need to watch out for a good Link's jab game and that with a little tech skill you can compensate for the hitbox on WFT's Fair by subbing in a different aerial while till moving forward.

You should also try cross overs, landing behind Link when he's in his shield puts you at the advantage and gives you momentum. It's especially good if it looks like you might land in front of him and he grabs on reflex, giving you a free attack.
Hmm I thought when you said MU thread you meant in WFT's character discussion page, but whatever if this works...

I can say that while moving forward, until Im behind Link I cant really approach from air except d-air (which I've deemed unsafe) Sun Salutation and I guess header, all of which dont seem to work. I've noticed that spot dodging his boomerang, crouching while he tries to attack and using the gust the boomerang has on me to bring me in for a surprise down or even forward smash works rather well when I CAN get the whirlwind behind me. But that may just me fighting a crappy Link.

You're bound to get the rang behind you even against good Links, simply because throwing crap at you is half of our game, we literally have three different specials based on throwing **** at you, so we're going to throw **** at you.

You can also try empty jumps, you don't /need/ to attack when you jump, and not doing so means no landing lag, letting you immediately go into the ground game.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You're bound to get the rang behind you even against good Links, simply because throwing crap at you is half of our game, we literally have three different specials based on throwing **** at you, so we're going to throw **** at you.

You can also try empty jumps, you don't /need/ to attack when you jump, and not doing so means no landing lag, letting you immediately go into the ground game.
hmmm I guess that could work, but i get so scared to try cause of that damn sword.

It's risky to try unless you know Link is going to go into his shield and hope for a grab, but again, cross overs make it a bit safer, if you land behind him the only moves he can hit you with have significant lag and you will be able to punish him. I'll wait for other Links who have played the match up more thoroughly to comment.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
It's risky to try unless you know Link is going to go into his shield and hope for a grab, but again, cross overs make it a bit safer, if you land behind him the only moves he can hit you with have significant lag and you will be able to punish him. I'll wait for other Links who have played the match up more thoroughly to comment.
really? i didnt know that.

btw..of topic but..how do feel about people who when they beat you immediately switch to your character and teabag and taunt when they beat you with your own main?

really? i didnt know that.

btw..of topic but..how do feel about people who when they beat you immediately switch to your character and teabag and taunt when they beat you with your own main?
This has never happened to me, but they sound like the real heroes of wifi.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
^And by that he is referring to an elite group of lackwits who believe Wifi is the ultimate gauge of a player's skill and wit and treats every win against any player as a sign that they're better than said player and any loss like the vengeful hand of lag ruining their "perfect" strategy. They are the self proclaimed Heroes of netplay, and they will irritate the hell out of logically minded people.

In an effort to remain on topic however;
It is always a great idea to have sun salutation charged. If your opponent has already spent their double jump, Link is ill equiped to manage a well timed sun until fully landed. Work out the timing and it becomes a free hit as airdodging to the ground incurs the landging lag = getting hit, and using up-b to go over it leaving him horribly unsafe (odds are this one won't happen often however)

If the Link is only spamming long range, find a good distance onstage to charge your sun little by little while avoiding the odd arrow here and there (as this is really the only projectile that goes fullscreen and it needs a lot of startup and can't be repeated quickly.) giving you time to charge. I would also recommend spending enough time in training mode to master the timing on deep breathing. I won both WFT matches I've played punishing a failed breath with dash attack. You may need to sacrifice edgeguard oppurtunities to power it up, but a full power Sun is devastating, and our recovery is not excellent, so treat it like a savings bond. power up now, get better launcher later.

If the Link is going in and playing aggressive, you are a little safer as most of Link's attacks on ground are slow enough to punish on block (minus jab sometimes) his N-air, F-air, and B-air are better, but you can punish F-air if you block it and grab him, B-air will be the hardest to punish unless the Link overcommit's to his jump arc but has low shield damage and stun, so block it and roll to reset your spacing a bit. For N-air you can spotdodge and watch the Link's next action, or block it and roll away. Odds are He can only repeat the same move so many times before you punish him for it, so patience is key against him.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
^And by that he is referring to an elite group of lackwits who believe Wifi is the ultimate gauge of a player's skill and wit and treats every win against any player as a sign that they're better than said player and any loss like the vengeful hand of lag ruining their "perfect" strategy. They are the self proclaimed Heroes of netplay, and they will irritate the hell out of logically minded people.

In an effort to remain on topic however;
It is always a great idea to have sun salutation charged. If your opponent has already spent their double jump, Link is ill equiped to manage a well timed sun until fully landed. Work out the timing and it becomes a free hit as airdodging to the ground incurs the landging lag = getting hit, and using up-b to go over it leaving him horribly unsafe (odds are this one won't happen often however)

If the Link is only spamming long range, find a good distance onstage to charge your sun little by little while avoiding the odd arrow here and there (as this is really the only projectile that goes fullscreen and it needs a lot of startup and can't be repeated quickly.) giving you time to charge. I would also recommend spending enough time in training mode to master the timing on deep breathing. I won both WFT matches I've played punishing a failed breath with dash attack. You may need to sacrifice edgeguard oppurtunities to power it up, but a full power Sun is devastating, and our recovery is not excellent, so treat it like a savings bond. power up now, get better launcher later.

If the Link is going in and playing aggressive, you are a little safer as most of Link's attacks on ground are slow enough to punish on block (minus jab sometimes) his N-air, F-air, and B-air are better, but you can punish F-air if you block it and grab him, B-air will be the hardest to punish unless the Link overcommit's to his jump arc but has low shield damage and stun, so block it and roll to reset your spacing a bit. For N-air you can spotdodge and watch the Link's next action, or block it and roll away. Odds are He can only repeat the same move so many times before you punish him for it, so patience is key against him.
yeah i do that charge little by little.

offtopic but...I seem to across more and more "heroes" as I go on...so I just feel like suck more and more cause they ALL seem to be like S tier tourney players.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
yeah i do that charge little by little.

offtopic but...I seem to across more and more "heroes" as I go on...so I just feel like suck more and more cause they ALL seem to be like S tier tourney players.
They seem this way only because they play in a way that exploits lag. Basically, they're used to playing with delay and use moves and stats that maximize effectively without actually being useful offline. Most of these people will lose horribly in offline marches. My advice is to go to our social thread and ask for sparring partners. Any Link main here will be happy to play you and provide feedback. We're not wifi heroes (with the exception of @Powerstar9 and @link and ike lover) so we'll suffer in lag with you should there be any.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
They seem this way only because they play in a way that exploits lag. Basically, they're used to playing with delay and use moves and stats that maximize effectively without actually being useful offline. Most of these people will lose horribly in offline marches. My advice is to go to our social thread and ask for sparring partners. Any Link main here will be happy to play you and provide feedback. We're not wifi heroes (with the exception of @Powerstar9 and @link and ike lover) so we'll suffer in lag with you should there be any.
are you taking about miniscule lag that happens in pretty much all online mathces? cause I hardly ever notice any typical normal lag.

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
are you taking about miniscule lag that happens in pretty much all online mathces? cause I hardly ever notice any typical normal lag.
Doesn't matter if it's minimal or major, if there is any at all someone's normal playstyle will be affected. The prevalence of scrub little macs has a lot to do with how fast his rolls and dash attack are, combined with super armor on all of his smash attacks means that you either get beat out, or don't challenge his attacks.

WFT seems to me like she would suffer greatly in lag since deep breathing is all timing. That and her spacing is really awkward.
Link is also affected poorly by lag, but the amount of distance between him and opponents makes him a little bit safer, and his bombs can be used to augment his approach game.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
That depends a lot on your Internet connection. What Zane said is true, but you also need to take into account that even with minimal lag things like powershielding which is a MUST against Link and teching becomes quite harder if not impossible, again all depending on the lag.

Trust me, offline play is a whole different game than online, even if you have pristine connection.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
just use ness and get those projectiles
This worthless spam serves no other purpose than to reveal how little you know about the game. Ness can't do anything against Link's projectiles that WFT can't since his downB doesn't absorb physical items, which just happen to be all of Link's projectiles.

Don't try to pretend to be smart since your scrubiness just seeps through your every pore. If you have something useful to say then say it, but don't spam our threads with your ignorance again.

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Getting past his wall of projectiles and his long reach in melee with his sword, what can be done with WFT to lessen the irritation going against Link? What's the overall stance between the two in general?
Have you tried crouching under his projectiles? WFT has one of the lowest crouches in the game. You can also dash -> shield projectile -> dash out of shield grab/etc.

Last edited:

eradication0

Smash Rookie
This worthless spam serves no other purpose than to reveal how little you know about the game. Ness can't do anything against Link's projectiles that WFT can't since his downB doesn't absorb physical items, which just happen to be all of Link's projectiles.

Don't try to pretend to be smart since your scrubiness just seeps through your every pore. If you have something useful to say then say it, but don't spam our threads with your ignorance again.
y but ness can absorb projectiles u know

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Only energy-based projectiles such as Fox's lasers. Physical-based projectiles (which is what Link's projectiles qualify to be) cannot be absorbed by Ness.
I told him that, but apparently @ eradication0 eradication0 is too much of a scrub to even read and acknowledge a correction. Besides, the OP came to ask for tips on fighting Link with his current main, so telling him to switch chars while trying, and failing horribly, to be witty is nothing but spam. Although, I assume he (@ eradication0 eradication0 ) must be pretty accustomed to failure by now.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Why the hell do all these randoms suddenly appear when a new thread is created? Who are you people, and why are you spreading misinformation?

y but ness can absorb projectiles u know
Ness can only absorb the explosion of Link's bombs, so unless you want arrows and boomerangs to the face I suggest another approach. And, in case you haven't noticed, this thread is about the Link vs. Wii Fit Trainer MU -- your advice doesn't help anyone. We don't solve Brawl MUs by telling people to play Metaknight instead either. Leave and post when you have something substantial to add.

Last edited:

eradication0

Smash Rookie
lel guys im just a casual player and actually didnt know that. my second post was a troll but i only did it to post (with links) a tutorial on this forum for... you guys i think... whatever pls dont be so rude thx

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
lel guys im just a casual player and actually didnt know that. my second post was a troll but i only did it to post (with links) a tutorial on this forum for... you guys i think... whatever pls dont be so rude thx
We'll stop being "rude" when you stop being a scrub. Now don't post in this thread again unless you have something to say about this specific MU.

Now GTFO.

It doesn't make sense, but Ness can absorb Link's bomb.
Don't derail, this is to talk about WFT, not Ness. If you want to discuss Ness go to the Ness MU thread or create one if we don't have one.

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Umm...I guess the place we can start is by sharing videos of professionals playing the matchup, which is what the guys on the Ganon matchup page do. Basically what I'm saying is one of the best players for each character in the character specific forums (WFT and Link) should record the matchup, and we can take notes from it. But hey, the hell do I know, I'm just posting from experience. lol

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Man I wish i had recording software and tech to put my videos on youtube so I could get more help on what I need to do.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Man I wish i had recording software and tech to put my videos on youtube so I could get more help on what I need to do.
You can just save the replay and the record it with your phone or something. It's always better to have replays so we can address your specific failings. Don't worry about professional quality, just that it's good enough to understand and provide critique.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
WFT seems to be very floaty which can be annoying at times if you're jabbing or if they like to hop a lot but theyre not too much of a threat as of right now.

I haven't fought too many but their attacks seem to have a very readible start up. Use that to your advantage and counter them. For zoner type Links, it might be harder but for aggressive LinKS (like me) it seems to be a cake walk.

I do notice myself being extra aggressive when I'm up against WFT as well so maybe that's what works against her/him (it?)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
When the time comes that Nintendo finishes the ability to share replays I will be more than happy to record and upload them for you Shinuto.
yeah! how do you that yourself ?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
yeah! how do you that yourself ?
He has an HD video capture equipment, I forgot the name. Really good quality, he offered us all the service here in the boards but sadly there is just no way to share replays atm.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
He has an HD video capture equipment, I forgot the name. Really good quality, he offered us all the service here in the boards but sadly there is just no way to share replays atm.
Man I want to get into uploading replays to youtube myself eventually.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Why is that any character with dumb sex kick just has no way to approach them properly...stuud aerial that lasts forever and is broken in usage with SHFF goddamn Link just 2 stocked me and I only mangaged 56 percent on the ****. it wasnt JUST that...but...he seemed ungodly, retardly good as Link.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Why is that any character with dumb sex kick just has no way to approach them properly...stuud aerial that lasts forever and is broken in usage with SHFF goddamn
Having a Nair shielded is bad for Link, but unfortunately can be very hard to punish on Wifi.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Why is that any character with dumb sex kick just has no way to approach them properly...stuud aerial that lasts forever and is broken in usage with SHFF goddamn Link just 2 stocked me and I only mangaged 56 percent on the ****. it wasnt JUST that...but...he seemed ungodly, retardly good as Link.
This is one of those cases where what I told you applies, the delay got you. A good way of dealing with an approaching nair, or to approach when they busy one out into powershield it and grab. You can powershield while moving if you let go of the stick and tap the shield at the same time. This would render the attack useless and give you a frame advantage. Problem is doing it with online delay.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
WFT can crouch under Link's grab, just FYI. Good to know vs a shielding Link while you're in the air. You can fast fall land without doing an aerial and crouch. Easy to bait Link into a whiffed grab and get a free punish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom