• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Now you can't use Judge for the HRC anymore, either, as the hammer is fixed to draw only 6s for whatever reason.

I guess it's a good change for people who didn't like RNG in their HRCs, but I'll miss not using the bat to hit the sandbag.

Last edited:

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
There you guys go, Custom Moves. Multi Judgement looks sick. Same for the All or nothing hammer.

@shapular yup it does and i do it in my video coming up

I'm happy to say that i've finally finished the GW In depth video. Sorry for the wait, im really slow at getting these vids up right now, but im trying t

I'm happy with the way this and the peach video came out
Just an extra tip for any future videos you do. In the Training Mode, if you look at the menu on the bottom screen, the 2nd option is "Speed". You can basically do a slow-mo like in Brawl's training mode.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Heh, lucky you. Meanwhile I've still gotta wait for the Wii U version to come out. Does anyone think they'll do something special for the upcoming release of Smash 3DS in North America (A Smash-themed Direct around that time, perhaps?

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Heh, lucky you. Meanwhile I've still gotta wait for the Wii U version to come out. Does anyone think they'll do something special for the upcoming release of Smash 3DS in North America (A Smash-themed Direct around that time, perhaps?
They'll most likely do one for the Wii U version.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
They'll most likely do one for the Wii U version.
Hopefully, since I need more information (even though the full roster is confirmed now) about the version of the game I'm actually getting. Like, what modes will be specific to the Wii U version only? The 3DS has Smash Run, and we get nothing? That'd suck.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'unno. I doubt another Direct right now, but they might have a Week 5 of the Smash sale sometime down the line for the unlockable characters.

(Come on, Gallery 3, please don't continue to be yet another Europe-exclusive...)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Hopefully, since I need more information (even though the full roster is confirmed now) about the version of the game I'm actually getting. Like, what modes will be specific to the Wii U version only? The 3DS has Smash Run, and we get nothing? That'd suck.
Tower of Smash rumor is going around. They also leaked that wario stage before it was shown. I dont know.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Thanks for the analysis Smiley. And yeah, G&W's nerfs are depressing. Not KOing as early, having less survivability, worse shield pressure, and being more vulnerable to juggle traps is bad.

At the same time though, on closer inspection it really isn't all bad. This version of G&W is slightly less extreme. What I mean by this is he doesn't just throw out a move that lingers forever and bulldozes you when it's spaced well. G&W appears to overall have slightly faster startup (I noticed this on B-air, correct me if I'm wrong) and less total duration on his aerials, which in a way is a good thing, because it means you don't have to commit quite as hard to one attack doing your work for you in spacing. Yes, overall the changes are a net nerf to G&W's spacing especially because he does less damage and has more non-active frames on his moves, but as I said, it's not completely bad for him.

While it sucks that G&W Smashes got nerfed, he DOES run pretty fast and land trapping is easier in this game, so I actually feel KOing people with G&W onstage will be a bit less of a problem as we get used to the game. I can't tell if it is just me, but Chef actually does appear to have very slightly less ending lag, which means when setting up edgetraps and land traps, the move might actually have uses.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Update: GW bucket now fills based on the power of the projectile.

This is major. Weak Max charged aura sphere gets 2 fills, fully charged strong one does instant bucket

Thunder i know also insta fills. Looks like bucket got a huge buff

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'll take a more practical bucket over one that can do hilariously overkill amounts of damage any day.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Does it still have a power cap like the Brawl bucket, which could do 60% damage tops?

Doesn't really matter from a competitive standpoint, since it almost always KOs anyone who's even slightly damaged, but it was fun to see how strong you could make it in Melee.

I guess the strongest bucket would be probably be made from something like a pocketed PK Flash or max power Aura Sphere.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Does it still have a power cap like the Brawl bucket, which could do 60% damage tops?

Doesn't really matter from a competitive standpoint, since it almost always KOs anyone who's even slightly damaged, but it was fun to see how strong you could make it in Melee.

I guess the strongest bucket would be probably be made from something like a pocketed PK Flash or max power Aura Sphere.
Yup, there's still a cap. According to the custom Moveset analysis thread, v1 (default) and v3 (long range, but slow) both cap at 45%, while v2 (always insta-fills) caps at 24%.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It's not an automatic unlock like most stages related to the character.

You need to finish the first page of challenges, if I'm not mistaken.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to how effective Game and Watch's crouch is for avoiding attacks now, after seeing the silly things Jigglypuff can dodge in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y30q6kw2qPw
Yea, G&W, Jiggs, Kirby, Squirtle, Snake and Shiek all had the same duck height in Brawl so I would be surprised if that didn't carry over, especially since G&W has the same duck animation he had before.

Ducking has always been really strong for G&W in Melee in Brawl so no surprise it's still good in 4.

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
So who has been feeling right at home playing G-dubs? I was a little anxious about the reported nerfs, but man does he feel as tight as ever. (nothing sexual)

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
So who has been feeling right at home playing G-dubs? I was a little anxious about the reported nerfs, but man does he feel as tight as ever. (nothing sexual)
I did. I love his new animations, especially the walking and Parachute ones. It seems that it's much easier to sweetspot the meteor smash in his Donkey Kong Jr., as I've easily destroyed Olimar with it on Flat Zone 2 Ω during a pikmin beatdown without trying. You can even meteor smash someone while not even going over the ledge (but the opponent has to be). His Judge is now truly random and it is possible to get several 9s (or other numbers) in a row. The visible sigh in his down taunt is the same sprite as the puff of insecticide in his neutral A. His parachute in Fire is harder to cancel out of by using the control stick; in Brawl, any sudden movement to the control stick would deactivate it (which was very annoying). The sound made when dumping Oil Panic oil is now a ringing bell instead of a fast series of high-pitched beeps playing in succession (3 beeps per Game & Watch frame in Brawl, I think). His Manhole is still 3D and now has a vertical windbox. His ledge attack's hitbox isn't disjointed; it is apparently the exact same size as the bell.

Does anyone know how to farm custom moves?

Last edited:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I'm really liking G&W in Smash 4. His new look looks great, he's super fast, and his aerials don't have that much lag anymore. Sure, he may be nerfed in a lot of other areas, but I honestly really like him and he feels great to play.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I figured out some really important things about the way he plays in this game

I'll make a video on sunday showing it more in depth but i have a tourney tomorrow so I can't do it until then

Essentially though his new playstyle works with using his new really good foxtrot to bait reactions and choosing between dash attack (which ideally would be kept fresh), fsmash/dsmash, and grab

I tested it and it seems to work but it takes a little bit of practice not to **** up or accidentally dash attack. and I also think that can be an advantage in a weird way.

Can't wait to show you guys what I mean, i may have finally figured out how to use him in this game =)

(still sucks though... but definitely better that he has a coherent playstyle that is effective)

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
I figured out some really important things about the way he plays in this game

I'll make a video on sunday showing it more in depth but i have a tourney tomorrow so I can't do it until then

Essentially though his new playstyle works with using his new really good foxtrot to bait reactions and choosing between dash attack (which ideally would be kept fresh), fsmash/dsmash, and grab

I tested it and it seems to work but it takes a little bit of practice not to **** up or accidentally dash attack. and I also think that can be an advantage in a weird way.

Can't wait to show you guys what I mean, i may have finally figured out how to use him in this game =)

(still sucks though... but definitely better that he has a coherent playstyle that is effective)

I can't wait lol. I feel out like I'm out in the wilderness alone right now. I haven't encountered a single G&W what-so-ever in the 6 or 7 or so hours I've put into for glory. This is the first Smash game for which I have been competitively oriented upon release, so I have no Qerb-like sages to learn from at the onset XD I'm doing my best to suss-out how to properly play him, and I'm holding my own against even the best players I've encountered so far, even if I nap just one win in 3 or 4 matches. G&W is still not a fan of these platformless-stages, that much is unchanged. But damn if his comboing game is completely different. These Little Macs are tough as hell, it's not a good match up, at least certainly not on FD. It's like 100% spacing in those matches.

I believe someone mentioned this, but his bair is genuine asset this time around. Perhaps now even as good as his once world-destroying fair? Maybe. The wind burst on his d-tilt has also been proving itself to be invaluable. I love putting those LM-like groundlings up into the air with it and following up with his now-quicker aerials. I'm really depressed at how nerfed the hitboxes on his u-tilt is, especially given that his u-smash is no narrow, and his forward smash is shorter. There is just a big hole in his recovery-punishing options it seems. At least from the ground.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I won a pretty important match today as GW where my Rosalina failed me. But I lost the set. Went back to Rosalina. GW won it, but it was too close to call and I figured if it was that close I may as well have gone with the character I know is good.

Got 4th.

My crew took the top 6 spots though. it'll probably be uploaded in the next few days.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
The first thing I did after unlocking Gdubs was hitthe training room. First move I did was Up Smash to see how the hitbox was changed...After viewing the result, I cried myself to sleep that night.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I can't wait lol. I feel out like I'm out in the wilderness alone right now. I haven't encountered a single G&W what-so-ever in the 6 or 7 or so hours I've put into for glory. This is the first Smash game for which I have been competitively oriented upon release, so I have no Qerb-like sages to learn from at the onset XD I'm doing my best to suss-out how to properly play him, and I'm holding my own against even the best players I've encountered so far, even if I nap just one win in 3 or 4 matches. G&W is still not a fan of these platformless-stages, that much is unchanged. But damn if his comboing game is completely different. These Little Macs are tough as hell, it's not a good match up, at least certainly not on FD. It's like 100% spacing in those matches.
I don't know, my win rate with G-dubs vs. Little Mac is about 90%, even against the occasional player who actually knows what they're doing. It is spacing at first, but then you get to his grab mixups.

I believe someone mentioned this, but his bair is genuine asset this time around. Perhaps now even as good as his once world-destroying fair? Maybe. The wind burst on his d-tilt has also been proving itself to be invaluable. I love putting those LM-like groundlings up into the air with it and following up with his now-quicker aerials. I'm really depressed at how nerfed the hitboxes on his u-tilt is, especially given that his u-smash is no narrow, and his forward smash is shorter. There is just a big hole in his recovery-punishing options it seems. At least from the ground.
Yeah, there's the other 10%. And bigger numbers against several other characters. I'm good at getting the opponent over 150%, but I just. Can't. Manage. A kill.

I've mainly been relying on Offstage Fair, which I'm not always accurate with.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Quick questions, how good do you guys think G&W will be in SSB4? Also any significant changes from Brawl? Thanks.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Quick questions, how good do you guys think G&W will be in SSB4? Also any significant changes from Brawl? Thanks.
  1. The current preliminary list puts him at D-tier, which I think is accurate. However, the game is pretty well-balanced this time, so he's still very usable. I win pretty often with him in For Glory; remember that he actually has a disadvantage on Omega stages.
  2. He's been completely altered. Bucket Braking's gone, and Usmash, Dtilt, and Fsmash have been nerfed to near-uselessness. In exchange, though, he's more controllable in Parachute, his FSmash and Bair speed's been significantly buffed, he's faster overall, and he has one of the best dash attacks in the game.

Ghost Pikmin

Smash Cadet
Has anyone figured out what's up with usmash? It doesn't have super armor, but multiple times now an opponent has attacked me right when I released it, and somehow their attack gets clashed out but the usmash continues and hits them instead. I don't know when in the animation this window happens, but it's there and I'm not sure what it is.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Has anyone figured out what's up with usmash? It doesn't have super armor, but multiple times now an opponent has attacked me right when I released it, and somehow their attack gets clashed out but the usmash continues and hits them instead. I don't know when in the animation this window happens, but it's there and I'm not sure what it is.
Most likely, the Upsmash out-prioritized the opponent's attack.
This happens when two moves collide and one deals MUCH more damage than the other.

I think this is the first time anyone has mentioned this happening in Smash 4.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Has anyone else found it surprisingly easier to meteor smash with DKJr? I found it hard to land in Melee/Brawl, but in 4 I can do it with little effort.

The first thing I did after unlocking Gdubs was hitthe training room. First move I did was Up Smash to see how the hitbox was changed...After viewing the result, I cried myself to sleep that night.
I can't remember if it was @ SFA Smiley SFA Smiley 's video or not (I think it was), but I once saw something on YouTube where someone Usmashed by accident and despite being right on the opponent with the helmet touching them, the attack completely missed.

Last edited:

Overtaken

Smash Journeyman
Well done with G&W. That edgeguard with fire was beautiful. I need to practice that myself, maybe it's just me but his KO options on the ground have been shaved down below Melee levels. I can combo, grab, and jab my opponent to 180% all day but when they are getting aerial and tilt KOs on me at 100, the math just isn't working in my favor. Also, damn these FD campers. TL, R&L, and the like, they are making me work my ass off just to lose in a squeeker every time, and they put in like no effort besides the same, tired spam --> force approach --> punish cycle.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
In Brawl the hurt box for his head actually disappeared temporarily when he used USmash. Since the hints say Mario basically has he same effect with his USmash, I assume G&W's has the same property.

Top Bottom