• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Momentum cancelling.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
i was trolling the forums as usual and went to the G&W boards. i saw they're discovery of Bucket Braking and wondered if we also had a move like that.

Link to Bucket Braking Thread for explanation: www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207111

Link to video of Bucket Braking: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXBIYnMuTE

i'm gonna do some testing with this. if someone could help, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: i tested it and it didn't work. i wasn't sure if it was tested for every char but i think it has been and the vid shows all three.

Veril

Frame Savant
PKT?

Too bad it uh... makes you die afterwards.

Every Lucas aerial has some sort of momentum effect. PKT completely cancels momentum immediately, I imagine it works in the same manner the bucket does. Except it leaves you helpless.

PKFreeze stops momentum after the ice crystal appears but not before (it can be b-reversed, wavebounced, and initially gives a slight boost to momentum). Faster startup than PKT (I think...) but still leaves you helpless and the actual momentum canceling effect takes more time. Maybe wavebounced or B-reversed on Pirate ship, Onett, Norfair, Brinstar, Delfino plaza, Jungle Japes, etc it might have a use. The same goes for PKT I guess.

PKF doesn't cancel momentum. It pushes you backwards. Regardless, its too slow to be useful.

PsiM is weird. It increases and maintains preexisting momentum until the startup time passes. Then it cancels momentum. This process would probably take too long as well.

The question is of course... am I right? I'll test when I can use the tv.

If you want help: request away!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
That's pretty badass for G and W. But I don't think that Lucas has any moves that will work for this unfortunately.

Levitas

the moon
Yeah, neither lucas nor ness do. confirmed.

Lucas is good at generating wierd mometum, not negating it.

Irsic

Smash Ace
It would be cool to be able to reverse Magnet pull while being sent in a direction.

I highly doubt that's possible though.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
ya i tested it... it failed like every move i tried generated momentum as levitas stated.

oh btw i tested the nair or fair thing and i think i fair is better. it's not that much better
they're actually pretty equal. i just like fair more than nair when i do it. also you remember how someone (i think demonic trilogy) stated that his jump would mess up his momentum cancelling? well when you jump it adds more momentum than any move. so we can't cancel momentum by using an aerial then attacking, we just have to use an aerial and fastfall...

D*** lucas sucks A**

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
O_O

So, is G&W going to God Tier?

Speaking of Momentum Canceling, what is Lucas's fastest aerial?
Last time i've read the Lucas Frame Data thread, it didnt list the ending lag of Lucas's aerials. Only landing lag.....

I've always used uair, myself.

Oh yeah, First post!!! :D

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
O_O

So, is G&W going to God Tier?

Speaking of Momentum Canceling, what is Lucas's fastest aerial?
Last time i've read the Lucas Frame Data thread, it didnt list the ending lag of Lucas's aerials. Only landing lag.....

I've always used uair, myself.

Oh yeah, First post!!! :D
welcome to smash boards =P

well the fastest start up for an aerial is down air, but that attack has a long duration so its not safe for DI-ing. as far as I know we were thinking that neutral air or up air were the best for this

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Is there anyway I can test frame data? I always wanted to do that. :p
Training mode at 1/2 speed doesn't do it for me. :(

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
Is there anyway I can test frame data? I always wanted to do that. :p
Training mode at 1/2 speed doesn't do it for me. :(
the only way to truely test frame data would be to record the moves into a video editing program and break up the video into 60 frames per second (the speed that brawl, and almost all other games nowadays, runs at)

Levitas

the moon
There are other ways. Using pause to buffer moves that you know frame data for against moves you want to test and watching what happens is a good example. If you don't have another person to help, another way is to use one wavebird plus two wavebird recievers for a similar effect (you have to compare fair against fair, etc.

On the other hand, I've already got lucas's frame data (and Ness's) and can link you to the thread if you want.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
There are other ways. Using pause to buffer moves that you know frame data for against moves you want to test and watching what happens is a good example. If you don't have another person to help, another way is to use one wavebird plus two wavebird recievers for a similar effect (you have to compare fair against fair, etc.

On the other hand, I've already got lucas's frame data (and Ness's) and can link you to the thread if you want.
I don't have any of those things, lol.
My jealousy for Capture Cards grows larger everyday.....

And yes, the link would be nice. :)

Muh

Smash Rookie
The Psi magnet boosts horizontal momentum.....BUT

If you roll the control stick in the direction opposite of that which you're facing as you activate it, you will reverse your momentum. Any chance this will help with horizontal survival?

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
The Psi magnet boosts horizontal momentum.....BUT

If you roll the control stick in the direction opposite of that which you're facing as you activate it, you will reverse your momentum. Any chance this will help with horizontal survival?
Wait, did you test this? And does it work?
I'll test it if my bro wasnt watching TV......

Muh

Smash Rookie
Wait, did you test this? And does it work?
I'll test it if my bro wasnt watching TV......
I thought this was common knowledge? Guess not. This move is awesome with magnet pulling btw.

In any case for best results, i found the following to help me pull this off consistantly:

-When starting the Psi-Magnet, have the starting position of the stick Down and slightly forward in the direction you're facing.(If your stick starts slightly backward, you will start Psi-magnet facing the wrong direction. this is a precaution to prevent that)

-Start rolling the stick IMMEDIATELY. Roll in a manner as you would if using a fireball in Street Fighter, only difference is that B is pressed at the starting position instead of the ending position.
If you want to do the reversal facing the opposite direction, do the following:

-Start the Psi-Magnet with the control stick down and slightly in the direction opposite of which you're facing.

-Roll the control stick in the direction you were originally facing before using the Psi-Magnet. All other rules apply. Note that pulling off THIS reversal is harder then the 1st method.​

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
every character can do this. you just use the c-stick and the control stick to cancel the hitstun from a strong attack.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I thought this was common knowledge? Guess not. This move is awesome with magnet pulling btw.

In any case for best results, i found the following to help me pull this off consistantly:

-When starting the Psi-Magnet, have the starting position of the stick Down and slightly forward in the direction you're facing.(If your stick starts slightly backward, you will start Psi-magnet facing the wrong direction. this is a precaution to prevent that)

-Start rolling the stick IMMEDIATELY. Roll in a manner as you would if using a fireball in Street Fighter, only difference is that B is pressed at the starting position instead of the ending position.
I'm trying to do this, it isn't working for me. Although I see Lucas momentum go up and barely stops. Is this supposed to happen? :p
Probably I don't know what you mean about the fireball street fighter thing. Just quickly rotate the control clockwise or something, right?

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
Muh, i see what you mean, but brawl doesnt work like that.
in brawl, when you get knocked away and u do a move to change momentum, it'll actually boost you in the way u got sent.
for example: fox's shine usually stops him from falling. but if he gets hit and while he's flying away and then does his shine, it'll make him fly faster.
it's a flaw within the game.

PINK-FRESH
did u fastfall fair, jump, then try PSImagnet?

(if u posted this b4 sorry i'm dyslexic )

prOAPC

Smash Lord
this **** is awesome (i'm talking about fast falling an aerial), i can save you from strong attacks, and don't worry about horizontal knockback, nothing that a zap jump can't solve

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
PINK-FRESH
did u fastfall fair, jump, then try PSImagnet?

(if u posted this b4 sorry i'm dyslexic )[/QUOTE]

Lucas' jump is stupid, so when he gets hit and jumps afterwards it actually adds to his momentum and kills him faster =[

Pezz570

Smash Cadet
It would be cool to be able to reverse Magnet pull while being sent in a direction.

I highly doubt that's possible though.
I think it is possible, just it would be quite difficult. It also would probably take too long.

Top Bottom