• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini Mafia Game Thread | Newbies are welcome! | Town wins Gheb's game | Zen next to host!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
New to dGames? Come Here First! | Mini Mafia Sign-ups & Newcomer Info

I am new to dgames what is up?

Hello! Feel free to introduce and enjoy yourself in this thread or in our delightful social. Please don't post elsewhere in the forum as you're liable to disrupt an ongoing game and make the place look untidy.

This looks like witchcraft. Is this witchcraft?

Dgames is the SWF sub-forum for strategy-based forum games, such as:

[collapse=Mafia (aka Werewolf)]
In a nutshell, mafia is a strategic game of deception, motives, subterfuge, and deductive reasoning that can be played through several different mediums. In this case, we'll be using a forum.

You may find this flash tutorial helpful.

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia. At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know who each other are, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases. Usually the first is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will also vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is now Night. During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss the game outside of thread and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and next Day begins.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either all the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have gained numerical parity or superiority to the town.[/collapse]
[collapse=Adventure Games]
Adventure Games differ from other forms of games in two ways:

1. They allow complete and total freedom of action, and
2. They do not rely on stats or dice rolls

Adventure Games are similar to text based games, the type where you type in your action, but instead of a game engine, we use real people. Whoever makes the game is also the game's Moderator, and like the Mafia moderator, is in charge of keeping the game under control. Players give their actions to the moderator -- usually through AIM -- who uses logic and reason to decide what happens due to those actions. This requires the moderator to separate himself from what he wants to happen or what he thinks would make a better game, and instead to stay unbiased and make realistic decisions. Due to the lack of set stats and calculations, this means that the quickest and clearest thinker is usually the winner. These games (depending on the theme) are also based on real life. Which means that if someone shoots you in the gut, you're probably dead. Wounds stay, and don't fade, and death is permanent. This creates a higher stakes in the game, and a sense of tension as every fight can end with someone's death, and because the fight itself is going to be decided by your actions, not by your gear or "stats". Communication is likewise based on realism; if you have the phone numbers of half the cast, you'll be having a lot of conversations. If you have no phone numbers or contact information, you cannot speak with anyone until you obtain as much.

Also related to Adventure Games is roleplaying. RPing in this sense is not in the general sense, but more related to how you play the character. A person playing the Joker who plays him cautiously and with many plans is doing a poor job, whether or not the player talks like him. At the same point, a crazy person living in a town is going to be doing a bad job if he acts sane and normal with everyone. This can be hard to balance, as sometimes a character might not do something that could be advantageous, or vice versa. This kind of thing comes with practice, and just a bit of rational thought. The idea of doing something that could endanger your character/slot somewhat frivolously can seem unusual, but at the end of the day half the fun of Adventure Games comes from diving into the head of your character and going a little bit crazy.[/collapse]
[collapse=Roleplay]
A tabletop roleplaying game is a form of RPG in which the participants describe their characters' actions through speech (or in this case, writing). Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines established by the GM (game moderator). Within the rules, players have the freedom to improvise; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the game.

Only the written component of a role is acted. This acting is not always literal, and players do not always speak exclusively in-character. Instead, players act out their role by deciding and describing what actions their characters will take within the rules of the game. In most games, a specially designated player called the game moderator (GM) creates a setting in which each player plays the role of a single character. The GM describes the game world and its inhabitants while the other players describe the intended actions of their characters. After actions are submitted, the GM describes the outcomes. Some outcomes are determined by the game system, and some are chosen by the GM himself.[/collapse]
[collapse=Diplomacy]
Diplomacy is a strategic forum game that takes place on the map of Europe plus portions of the Middle East and North Africa. Its main distinctions from most board war games are its negotiation phases (players spend much of their time forming and betraying alliances with other players and forming beneficial strategies) and the absence of dice or other game elements that produce random effects.

Set just before the beginning of World War I, Diplomacy is played by two to seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European Power (or, with few players, multiple powers). Each player aims to move his or her few starting units—and defeat those of others—to win possession of a majority of strategic cities and provinces marked as "supply centers" on the map; these supply centers allow players who control them to produce more units and the game continues until there is a clear winner or a mutual draw is decided.[/collapse]

Mostly we play a lot of mafia. If you're looking for quicker/simpler games that don't require sign-ups, try the Forum Games. Tell them we said hi.

explanations courtesy of th3kuzinator

I want to play some mafia!

I'm glad to hear it. To sign up for our latest mini-game, just type '/in' in this thread and you'll be added to the playerlist. Games usually fill within 1-2 weeks, and last about the same. Do make sure to read the rules before you begin!

At the moment we require new players to complete a mini-game before they move onto the big leagues, both to ease you into playing mafia with us, and so we can check you're not secretly the devil.

I want to play some Diplomacy/Adventure Game/etc!

These games tend to run only occasionally, on a one-off basis. If you can't see a thread labeled sign-ups, feel free to ask in this thread.

I want to host a mafia game!

That's great! But first, you must pass two tests. The first is courage, and requires you to have played two full games. The second is patience, because there tends to be a long long list of people wanting to host games. More information can be found in the sign-ups thread.

I want to host a Diplomacy/Adventure Game/etc!

Awesome. Let us know all about it- in this thread, or the sign-ups thread. Unless your game conflicts with something else, or we think you're way crazy, you should be good to go.

I have more questions and I don't know where to turn?

Fear not! Just post in this thread and your fears will be allayed. More than anything, listen for the wisdom of our great and benevolent moderators, marshy & Raziek (they're not a couple).

swag?

swag

Sincd I couldn't find the original thread to bump up I've decided to make a new thread for mini mafia games to be held here. Any setup-up can be hosted as long as it has at least 3 players and at most 7 players. Any games larger than that need to be submitted to the queue for regular mafia games.

Next games:

1.) Gheb [Rayquaza, Kary, GM_3826, Captain Hotcakes, Moira / J, Leviathan, Gorf]
2.) Gorf
3.) Zack Fair
4.) Xatres

:059:

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
To be honest it wouldn't hurt to have a new thread. You should probably put like a queue in the OP or some stuff though. I know a few people have been talking about hosting, maybe if they quote their own posts we can have some sort of chronology. Or just first come first served. Games shouldn't take long anyways. I would suggest maybe a week long deadline for games? That would mean a couple of 72 hour days? Idk, I just don't want them going long, personally.

Anyways, i'll /in whatever mini game.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
I'd like to start hosting mini games on a semi-regular basis, starting with a simple 4 VT / 1 Goon open setup.

As I said in the sign-ups thread, I think I'd rather the mini games get their own threads, as they'll be easier to archive and track that way. We could use this thread as a dedicated mini sign-up / discussion / archive. Thoughts?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
We'll use this thread for now, X. But you can start with that 5-man game if you like. Kary, Orbo and I are /in so you'd only need 2 more players to fill it.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I'd like to start hosting mini games on a semi-regular basis, starting with a simple 4 VT / 1 Goon open setup.

As I said in the sign-ups thread, I think I'd rather the mini games get their own threads, as they'll be easier to archive and track that way. We could use this thread as a dedicated mini sign-up / discussion / archive. Thoughts?
i would think it would be easier to keep it in one thread and we could just url tag to the starting post of each game, as i dont think having tons of 10-15 page threads is really advisable. Also Gheb will be pretty solid about updating the OP with games I would imagine

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
i would think it would be easier to keep it in one thread and we could just url tag to the starting post of each game, as i dont think having tons of 10-15 page threads is really advisable. Also Gheb will be pretty solid about updating the OP with games I would imagine

Nah I actually don't give too much of a damn about it. I'll just keep the next 2 or 3 hosts in line and let 'em do their thing once they're up. Let's not make this more complicated than it needs to be.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I'm with not having a ****-ton of threads for minis.
I suppose depending on demand you might want more than one running at once, though, which would make it kinda awkward to use the same thread.

the old mini thread worked pretty ok though

*shrug*

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
Well, I've got an opening post and role PMs prepped and ready. Pretty simple flavor based on Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Xatres' game is ready to roll now. Kary, Orb, Gheb, Vinyl and Kantrip are in.

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17

Welcome to March of the Mini Mafia, the first of many mini mafia games I hope to host in the future.

On a cold November morning, the toys of Super Mini Mario World awaken to discover the body of Mini Mario lying in pieces on the floor. The toys quickly begin debating as to who could be responsible for this horrible act. Was it an accident? Was Mini Mario pushed to his death? Will the killer strike again? As a member of the toy community, you must discover if there is a killer in your midst and see that they are brought to justice.

This is an open setup game, featuring 4 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon.

[COLLAPSE="General Rules and Information"]
Helpful Links:
Newbie's Guide to Mafia | Basic Rules of Mafia

Fundamental Rules:
  • Please enjoy this game and do not act in a manner that would make the game unenjoyable for others. This includes personal attacks.
  • The Game Moderator is Xatres, and all official information and rulings will come directly from him.
  • Editing your posts is not allowed; multi-posting is fine and encouraged in place of editing.
  • Unless your role specifically states otherwise or you have initiated a mechanic that allows an exception, you may not converse with any other players outside the thread, dead or alive.
  • Do not quote role PMs or any other form of communication with the Game Moderator. You may paraphrase your role PM as you see fit, but keep everything in your own words! Posting your Role PM or any form of mod communication will result in an immediate modkill. This includes meta information such as post numbers, time indexes, ect. If you are concerned about how to adhere to this rule, contact the Game Moderator.
  • The use of non-English, invisible, hidden, coded, or otherwise intentionally hidden or indecipherable text is strictly prohibited. (Collapse/spoiler tags are allowed because they are easily noticeable. This rule is not meant to disallow breadcrumbing within the visible text of a message.)
  • Failure to send in your night action(s) will result in no action(s) being taken.
Activity and Deadlines

• You are required to post every 48 hours. If you fail to do so, you will be prodded. An accumulation of too many prods (to be determined by the Game Moderator) will result in your replacement or a modkill depending on the circumstances. The mod will tell you if he is considering replacing/modkilling you for activity reasons.
  • If you will be inactive for an extended period of time, you must notify the mod in advance. Unexcused or particularly long absences may result in your replacement or modkill.
  • In the event that the mod needs to replace a player, the deadline may be extended to accommodate the replacement player. If a replacement player cannot be found, the slot will be modkilled.
  • Day phases will generally last 7 days, unless cut short by a kill.
  • Night phases will generally last 48 hours. If you have a Night action and do not wish to use it, please send the mod a PM stating so.
  • Night phases will end when either 48 hours have passed, or when the mod has received all applicable night actions, whichever comes first.
  • There is no posting in this thread during the Night phase.
  • After you have died in the game, you are allowed one final (and short) "Go Town/Scum!" post.
Set-Up:

• This is an Open Set-up for 5 Players with all roles assigned at random.
  • This game is a Full Reveal game, meaning that upon death, role/alignment information about the player is revealed.
  • This game features 4 Vanilla Townies and 1 Mafia Goon.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE=Sample Role PM]

Mini Mario

You are Mini Mario, a Vanilla Townie.

Abilities
As a vanilla townie, your only weapons are your wits and your vote. Use them wisely.

Restrictions
None

Win Conditions
You win when all threats to town have been eliminated.
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="The Players"]Living Players:
  1. Kary (Mini Luigi, Vanilla Townie)
  2. Orboknown (Mini Toad, Vanilla Townie)
  3. Vinyl. (Mini Peach, Vanilla Townie)
  4. Potassium (Mini Donkey Kong, Vanilla Townie)
Dead Players:
  1. Gheb_01 (Golden Mini Mario, Mafia Goon) lynched D1.
Replacements:
  1. Replacement 1
  2. Replacement 2
  3. YOU?!
[/COLLAPSE]

Important Posts
Day 1 Begins (this post) | End-Game

Xatres

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Xatres17
Role PMs heading out now. Once everyone has confirmed they have received their role, Day 1 will begin.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
huh I guess since we have RPMs we can start playing. It's a mini so I just want to cut to the chase really.

1. Everyone claims their flavour, and then I try and mod-meta which one I think is a safe claim.

I'm Mini Luigi, VT

2. We lynch whoever and, if we're wrong, proceed to 3-player mafia which is frankly much more exciting. Or I am dead in which case w/e.

I'm all for killing Gheb actually because he's always scum.

FoS: Gheb

Voting is a bit different in this format because you're that much closer to a lynch. Consider that an RVS vote.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
why does flavorclaiming help you identify which is a safe claim? I wouldn't trust that to help me find scum.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
It's mod-meta. Basically, unless Xatres drew up 5 characters and then rolled a die to see which would be a safe-claim, there'll be some sort of thought process as to which is scum. By looking at all the claims you can try and reverse-engineer that thought process.

Now, maybe everyone claims their flavour and we can't come to a good decision as to which we think is a safe-claim, in which case we can ignore it. But it's not as if we're going to lose anything by outing our flavour, right?

Are you against claiming your character?

Kantrip

Kantplay
First thing's first.

Vinyl is irrefutably town.

Next thing's next.

Gheb explains his vote.

Finally.

Orbo probably dies.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
He's voting kary but the only note worthy thing kary has done imo is his name claim plan, which gheb went along with. I could understand gheb voting him and not doing it, but he did go along with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom