• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Pic Thread: 2nd Edition (Updated 9/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Re: HE MASHES CTRL+F5 LIKE A SUPR WIZCHARIRARD

I've explained this before, so I'll say it again, but slightly differently.

HTTP is a protocol (that's what the P stands for), the protocol includes a metric ton of communication 'commands' that comes along with requests to any web service. This meta data includes things such as LAST EDITED and the amount of data that ping takes is quite minimal, and you can send this "ping" for a webpage's meta data indefinitely until it suddenly changes, and then VOILA, you have the pic of the day.

Every time you use a web browser, it does all that pinging/meta data checking for you in a way that is mostly hidden to the end-user. Browser's will ask for meta data for a webpage and choose to load things from the cache rather than re-fulfilling the request with the web server if you already have the latest version.
This was incredibly insightful. You should consider a career in teaching, if you are not already.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Would be funny if it turned out to be Falco anyway. A character will probably confirm or debunk that recent leak regardless of who it is though.
Exactly. All we need is a different shot of the character that doesn't match that character's avatar in that leak. Or better yet a character that isn't on the leak.... Hmmmm.... :3

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Every time I fast-scroll down this thread, I see someone's sig image and freeze thinking it's some nifty PotD. I need to calm down.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I actually don't mind what the PotD is, even if it's filler. I'm just happy that they're being posted for us to enjoy.
I like you. Easy to please, hard to disappoint.

However... Some of use crave meat. We're carnivores, if you will. The only meat to cure my hunger is that of a character and/or direct announcement!

Morbi

Scavenger
Is it just me or are parts of the Director's room in another language?
Possibly Japanese, if I had to make a wager. :troll:

Your profile pic matches your comment so well.

------

Betting my money on it not being a character reveal, or Dark Pit reveal.

gogo sakurai
I agree, I would also bet money on it not being a character reveal, or a Dark Pit reveal... which seems contradictory.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I'm going to say that the reason the pic is late today is because Sakurai is doing another sire overhaul, this time adding that music section. Calling it now.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I like you. Easy to please, hard to disappoint.

However... Some of use crave meat. We're carnivores, if you will. The only meat to cure my hunger is that of a character and/or direct announcement!
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd be pretty excited for a direct announcement or a veteran reveal. It's just that I try not to get too hyped for Smash. The last time that happened, it was the weekend before the Smash Direct, and I actually lost sleep over it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Smashboards is it's own special place in the universe.

Hype sends something out the universe and the universe responds back.

Emotional vibrations, swiftfox messing with timelines and continuum it all adds up.

Last edited:

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
I've tweeted Sakurai apologizing after people tweeted @ him the roster leak.

Thank me for this upcoming character reveal.

lol jk it's gonna be an assist trophy

probably ganon or impa or something.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh those are metadata?

I didn't know that cache worked that way.

Still, I wonder about his internet speed.
Assuming between anywhere in North America, Japan would be sub 150ms, little to do with his internet speed. The amount of "data" that comes from these requests is so minimal (like I'm talking BYTES here, a gigabyte is 1099511627776 of those and even dial up has over 5000 bytes a second bandwidth), you aren't loading the web page itself or the images of it, you're just getting an 8 byte number that corresponds to the seconds since THE WORLD BEGAN (1970).

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Off topic passing time
Some guy at my work today was asking for melee (I work at a store that sells retro games) and I was like we don't have it at the moment. The I asked him if he was excited for smash bros wii u and he scoffed!

I hate him!

(Off topic passing time)

Last edited:

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
You know what, screw it. I don't need sleep, I don't have school till september. I'm staying up till I see this pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom