• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mii's height and weight contribute to Sword Fighter's mobility and sword size

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhLookItsLuka

Smash Rookie
I noticed this wasn't really added to the Sword Fighter thread or.. any Mii thread so I thought I'd bring it up. Anyways, the title says all that I plan to show.

Apparently, your Mii's sword length is relative to how "heavy" your Mii is. This is purely cosmetic as the hitbox size does not change. Personally, I like this little placebo, and if your opponent doesn't know that the hitbox doesn't change (since nobody really plays against or as Sword), it can give you some free space.

(Left: Tall+Pudgie Mii Utilt on BF; Right: Short+Pudgie Mii Utilt on BF)

(Left: Short+Pudgie Mii Dtilt on Windy; Right: Short+Slim Mii Dtilt on Windy)

(Apologies for the very crap-tastic quality)

Your Mii's height is also a factor in how fast their attacks are and, since their height will determine when their feet hit the ground, effects the amount of time needed for an aerial to finish entirely.
(not sure how to .gif and don't really have a recording device so.. empty showcase space xwx)

I am unsure whether or not their height also effects movement speed. It appears that they move faster when they're short, but that could just mean they have to in order to keep pace with taller Miis.
Their height also appears to slightly decrease endlag but I could just be hallucinating about that, still kinda goin' nuts about how quick and useful small and fat Miis are.

I have yet to really test this on other fighter types so I'm only really posting what I've done with Sword. If someone else wants to, go for it. I just wanted to show Sword some love.
And if this is something everyone and their grammy knew about, I'll either take it down due to "duh" or I'll leave it here for the sake of reference. Or hand it over to someone else who has a better vocabulary and capturing device.

Last edited:

RoboTek

Smash Rookie
Sword Size does not mean hitbox size.

Test this. According most most through reports, hitbox size scales with height, not weight.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Indeed I was going to find the post by @ san. san. but I failed miserably

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Reach is height. Endlag is height.

Damage is mostly weight, some height. Difference is in the decimals anyways and kill % is roughly the same. You might have some attacks that are 1 frame better on block, but weight is generally not worth it with survival not changing that much.

The startup on attacks is the same throughout.

Mobility is both.

Scaling is pretty smooth, so I recommend any height at default and below with minimum weight.

OhLookItsLuka

Smash Rookie
Pardon the late replies, first it was finals, then it was one hang out after the other, then marathon-ing Terraria, and blah blah blah.
Anyways, should I try and delete the thread or does it matter?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I've noticed that depeding on the height, my swordfighter can autocancel shorthop Nair, Bair and Uair, wich makes for some pretty good approaches, what would you guys say it's the optimal height/weight for him?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
hmm I feel like I have answered this question many times :/
probably has something to do with there being no mods here

Weight: thin as possible (being heavier adds nothing of value to any of the miis)
Height: varies
Shortest: high combo potential and mobility specs that rival the top tiers while also having generous a
Evo (height in between shortest and default): solid mobility specs capable combo potential can still auto cancel the important moves
Default: decent range poor mobility still has the auto cancel frames on n-air and u-air and has really strict combos

while it sounds like im bagging on default it is more because I am actually underplaying how important that range is. This range is more than capable of allowing SF to temporarily wall out characters such as Pikachu or Mario

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
I asked in the patch notes section as well, but this is probably a better place to check. Does anyone know if this has changed?
Is the increased sword size still purely visual, or does it matter now?

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
hmm I feel like I have answered this question many times :/
probably has something to do with there being no mods here

Weight: thin as possible (being heavier adds nothing of value to any of the miis)
Height: varies
Shortest: high combo potential and mobility specs that rival the top tiers while also having generous a
Evo (height in between shortest and default): solid mobility specs capable combo potential can still auto cancel the important moves
Default: decent range poor mobility still has the auto cancel frames on n-air and u-air and has really strict combos

while it sounds like im bagging on default it is more because I am actually underplaying how important that range is. This range is more than capable of allowing SF to temporarily wall out characters such as Pikachu or Mario
Is reach really so important as to sacrifice mobility and combo ability? I've always considered mobility and combo ability (both for damage and kills) as the most important things to any Smash character. Look at Roy, he's effectively got crappy range, but his speed and combos more than make up for it. Why isn't it the same for Swordfighter?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Is reach really so important as to sacrifice mobility and combo ability? I've always considered mobility and combo ability (both for damage and kills) as the most important things to any Smash character. Look at Roy, he's effectively got crappy range, but his speed and combos more than make up for it. Why isn't it the same for Swordfighter?
the problem is that Swordfighter lacks the frame data to actually make really good use with those comboes WITHOUT the range the default or EVO variant has

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Really? That's… kinda sad. I hope he ends up getting buffed to the point where he can actually use the extra movement. Well, thanks for the response, Antonykun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom