• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Mii Fighters Legality: a plea to the Smash community

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
As the title says, I'm someone who enjoys using all three 1111 Miis, with Swordfighter being my main focus. That being said, recently there has been huge controversy in regards to Miis and their custom movesets legality. A lot of big tournaments such as EVO and CEO seem like they'll be using 1111 Miis only, while others like last year's MLG and Shots Fired, have let Miis use their entire 'Specials' pool. I'm not here, like many others, to present data for or against the mii argument. Many people have done so already, such as Gimr and his fantastic video on the subject.

No. I'm here, sitting down writing this post, for one good reason. I love the Smash community. Whether you're for or against Miis, whether you're for or against 'pay-to-win', for or against top tiers. I love each and every one of you. All the characters, and stages, and songs of this beautiful game. It's all brought us together, and it' become a place for a lot of us to be able to escape from problems we're having, for others its simply their passion.

But where am I going with this? For all the love and acceptance that we've grown to love about this community, what's been happening recently? 3 characters of the roster, who happen to have a 'gimmick', one which they were created around, are being shut down. In the end, whether we end up with 1111 miis, or with miis fully legalized, won't affect me as a player because, as I mentioned, I only use 1111 miis. However...what about the other players? Yes, mii mains only make up 1% of the entire population of players, maybe even less. But I know that the Smash community that I love, is not the place where the 1% are segregated, ignored, and shunned. We don't care about background, ethnicity, gender, we simply judge you for your skill. And yet...this 1% can't show their true potential, because their characters are denied access to what made them exist in the first place.

I have faith in the smash community, and that in the end the right choice will be made, but if at the end of reading this post, you are not at least a bit willing to try and open your heart to that 1%, at least I thank you for reading all of this. If you're a tournament organizer reading this, and this made you even slightly tempted to try out mii moveset legality, don't be afraid. The Smash community I know and love, won't judge someone for trying to help the 1%. But hey, maybe I'm the only one who thinks that; only the future will tell.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't know why this is still a debate. I've heard every argument under the sun for not allowing customized Mii movesets, and I haven't bought into any of them. No, it does not take a large amount of time to set up (particularly since there are typically less than 5 Mii players at even large tournaments). No, it is not an unfair advantage. No, it is not the same as allowing other characters to use custom moves. No, it is not a slippery slope to Palutena.

Frankly, allowing Mii fighters affects nobody negatively, and helps a few people out, which is a good thing. I think saying that someone can't use their favourite character that they've poured hours into because of some piddly a** problem which is easy to work around is just stubbornness. Movesets are the Mii's gimmicks, the same way that Shulk has Monado Arts. They're real characters with an interesting trait. End of story.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Frankly, allowing Mii fighters affects nobody negatively, and helps a few people out, which is a good thing. I think saying that someone can't use their favourite character that they've poured hours into because of some piddly a** problem which is easy to work around is just stubbornness. Movesets are the Mii's gimmicks, the same way that Shulk has Monado Arts. They're real characters with an interesting trait. End of story.
The problem I have with this is that the same thing could be said for Palutena. Gonna quote what I said before.

I'm beating a dead horse here but the notion of "not allowing miis to use their customs is taking their main gimmick away" hurts me because you can literally say the same thing about Palutena.

See, despite what some people may argue, having fully unique custom moves IS Palutena's 'thing'. I mean, there's the way they were presented in her trailer, the fact that her trophy mentions that "She's very adaptable—you can customize her into a long- or close-range fighter!", the fact that all of her customs come unlocked from the start, and the fact that her customs are the only ones they even bother to mention in the in-game loading tips (outside of the Mii Fighters). Like how Cloud represents how limit breaks work in Final Fantasy 7 or how Little Mac represents the KO mechanics in the Punch-Out!! series with his power meter, Palutena's design was basically supposed to be based on how equipping and managing Pit's powers, which all of her specials are based on, worked in Kid Icarus Uprising (https://youtu.be/jRVyxhZEIFo?t=440).

And yet, all of this is apparently completely nullified because the menu doesn't bless her in the same way it does with Miis. I just find it a bit frustrating that Mii mains are distraught over being forced into their 1111 moveset, saying it takes away the point of their character, and yet Palutena is kinda in the same dilemma, only that no one bothers to argue for her just because for some reason Sakurai decided to relegate her defining feature to the Customs ON button.

Ugh.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
The problem I have with this is that the same thing could be said for Palutena. Gonna quote what I said before.
I don't think that they're comparable in that way though, with Palutena you need to still make the conscious decision to enable custom moves. With the Miis, you don't. Customs for Palutena only is an artificial advantage, whereas 1111 on a Mii is actually an artificial restriction that they were never supposed to have. You load in whatever Mii you want to load in. With Palutena, on the other hand, there's only one of her.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think, frankly, that Palutena can make a case for her customs, BUT it shouldn't be a case conjoined with the mii fighters, as they DO have different conditions.

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I think, frankly, that Palutena can make a case for her customs, BUT it shouldn't be a case conjoined with the mii fighters, as they DO have different conditions.
Agreed. The more variables you add, the harder your argument becomes to win.

Top Bottom