• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MEOWTH THAT'S RIGHT! Meowth DLC is double trouble! (Moveset Speculation included)

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
Ever since i heard that Meowth was supposed to be in Super Smash Bros 64 but was cut due to technical limitations, i was so stoked for him to be in the newest installment!
Sure, he maybe a pokemon in the pokeballs, but there's something called... Team Rocket's Meowth.
"BUT THE ANIME ISN'T CANON IN THE VIDEO GAME INSTALLMENTS", read the Pokemon Trainer Trophy description, it may of been an accident but it could hold some future for my favorite pokemon (or atleast, one of my favorite pokemon).
Anyways, i want to move on to the moveset.

:GCA:-Attacks

Neutral -
His neutral :GCA: is kinda obvious, a simple scratch combo (or fury swipes).

Side Tilts - How about Fake Out where Meowth claps his hands into the opponent to possibly make them slip (kind of like how Fake Out makes a Pokemon flinch).

Up Tilt - Possible an upwards Cut attack. (it's kinda funny, it's an up attack mixed with an attack called Cut... which probably makes uppercut... heh... eh...).

Down Tilt - Maybe Return where Meowth does an Attack that reaches out and then returns to the original position.

The aerials can just be scratch attacks in the air for the moment.

:GCB:-Specials

Neutral or Side -
Pay Day, Meowth and Persian's signature move and also the move that Meowth from the pokeball does. Obviously, Meowth throws a coin (or multiple coins) at the opponent and can be thrown in any direction (kinda like Mega Man's metal blade) but maybe, if the coins land on the ground then they could be picked up to increase the amount of currency you earn after winning a match (Like how you pick up the money thrown after a Pokemon Battle if Meowth or Persian used Pay Day during it).

Up/Recovery - Faint Attack or Team Rocket Balloon, Meowth disappears and depending on your directional inputs will re-appear with a scratch attack somewhere else (sort of a cop-out, but it works) or maybe the famous Meowth air balloon could carry Meowth upwards back upon to the stage.

Down - Hone claws or Feint, it could either be a move that gives Meowth more speed and attack but less defence or a weak move that attacks through shields, i can't seem to decide.

:GCDpad:-Taunts

Up -
Coin cleaning, sort of a random one but y'know how Meowth's and Persian's like shiny objects and like to treasure them? Well, how about we get Meowth to bring out a cloth and clean his forehead coin? It's hilarious and sorta cute.

Side - "Prepare for Trouble, make it Double"

Down - "Meowth, THAT'S RIGHT!"

OTHER ADDITIONS

Star KO -
Meowth, like in the anime could be squealing "LOOKS LIKE TEAM ROCKETS BLASTING OFF AGAIN" when being Star KO'd

Victory Screens - Like with Robin and Chrom, maybe one of Meowth's victory screens could be with Team Rocket!

Victory Music - Bowser, Bowser Jr/Koopalings, Meta Knight, Dark Pit, etc., the victory music for Meowth could be different from the victory music for the other pokemon in the roster. More along the lines of this:

Anyways, anybody with me on this one?

Braydon

Smash Ace
Meowth does not make for an interesting fighter. He's a normal type pokemon with a very ordinary kit, with payday being about the most interesting thing.

The moveset you made also has several glaring flaws, the side tilt allows for a ton of combos on a tilt, the down tilt sounds like it could be really op for dimensional cape level dodges, the jab and uptilt are unimaginative. He has only three specials, and payday doesn't make sense, having money appearing through alternate forms just distracts from fighting.

You also forgot the final smash where he pulls out a gun and starts shooting people.

Sakuraichu

Smash Journeyman
He was supposed to be in 64? That was never confirmed. The three characters we know were supposed to be in 64 were Bowser, King Dedede, Pit, Wario, Peach and Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
....I want Meowth walking on Koffing like Lemmy Koopa on a beach ball and using Ekans as a whip for his attacks.

That's right.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
There are two options for this

1. You take us for idiots
B. You are one

Meowth has already been disconfirmed as an assist pokemon ever since the Smash Bros Direct last April. They would not just go back in and convert him to a playable character.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It would be wonderful to have a playable cat in the roster.

But yeah, he's a Pokéball, and that's that.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
He was supposed to be in 64? That was never confirmed. The three characters we know were supposed to be in 64 were Bowser, King Dedede, Pit, Wario, Peach and Mewtwo.
Those are 6 characters.

There are two options for this

1. You take us for idiots
B. You are one

Meowth has already been disconfirmed as an assist pokemon ever since the Smash Bros Direct last April. They would not just go back in and convert him to a playable character.
1 and B? And you're trying to call him an idiot?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wow. You guys are pretty mean to him. Meowth is a species, so it could make sense for Meowth to join the fight. Neutral Attack is not imaginative enough? What kind of argument is that? What did you expect him to do? Blow up?
Anyways, here is my Meowth move set.
Neutral Attack: Scratches the opponent three times.
Dash Attack: Does a small hop as he spins with his claws extended.
Side Tilt: I like ProjectilePuff's, except instead of tripping, make it cause the opponent to flinch, but not have as much knockback.
Up Tilt: An overhead slash
Down Tilt: A low stab with his claws
Side Smash: Uses Secret Power. The effects are in this order: Meowth rams in to the opponent, this is Wario's side Smash with Zero Suit Samus's down smash stun. Meowth creates an avalanche, freezing opponents. Meowth attacks with fire(for launch power).
Down Smash: Slashes on both sides of him. The hit on the back does more damage when the front hit connects
Up Smash: Uses Fury Swipes overhead
Neutral Arial: Uses Flash. This has short range, but can protect Meowth from lower priority attacks
Forward Arial: Scratches in front of him.
Back Arial: Kicks behind him.
Up Arial: Slashes overhead.
Down Arial: Meowth does a downward kick. This attack is a stall-and-fall that will teleport Meowth to his original position if he lands the attack
Neutral Special-Pay Day: Same as the Poké Ball move.
Side Special-Night Slash: Meowth dashes forward. A second later, a purple energy slashes any opponent who is where Meowth dashed
Up Special-Arial Ace: Meowth dashes in any given direction
Down Special-Sunny Day: Meowth looks toward the sky and a sun appears around his head. This makes Meowth always use the fire version of his side smash all the time until it wears off.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Wow. You guys are pretty mean to him. Meowth is a species, so it could make sense for Meowth to join the fight. Neutral Attack is not imaginative enough? What kind of argument is that? What did you expect him to do? Blow up?
It's not that, if you were to consider the rationale put forward. It's that Meowth already had a role as a Pokéball summon, and as far as we know, characters with a definite role in the game are not eligible for playability in the same game. It's the same reason why Ridley is not playable, in spite of the fact that it is not the same Ridley that appears in most other Metroid titles.

As I said, I would love for it to happen. I think it's a brilliant idea. But it's just not likely to happen. Not in this particular iteration of Smash, at the very least.

Now that being said, likeliness should not deter one from supporting a character. One of the threads of which I am the OP is a very, very unlikely character choice, but I support them out of passion for the character in and of itself. By the same token, it should not be considered a panacea for what are otherwise rational and respectable points: that Meowth, in spite of his particular merits and potential skillset, is not likely to appear as a playable character in Smash.

The point could be made in a less hostile manner, and I'm not sure why there is such tension in this thread in the first place, but that's the case as we know it. Doesn't mean one ought not support it if they enjoy the character and wish to support it.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I think I am bringing this back up without creating a new one.

one thing about Team Rocket Meowth is that he cant use Pay Day! he cant use any attacks except for scratch and fury swipes! why is that is TR Meowth didnt level up in the ordinary way and used all his EXP into talking and walking!

since he only knows Scratch and Fury Swipes, he using other Technical stuff to his attacks instead!

so I would if I would stand for the moveset, I would do this:

A: Scratch
AA: Scratch
AAA (Loop): Multi Scratches
Finisher: a final scratch with both claws

Dash Attack: Jump and scratch attack

SideTilt: Horizontal Scratch
DownTilt: Tail Swipe
UpTilt: Upward Scratch

SideSmash: Extended Punching Glove
UpSmash: Exntended punching glove upward
DownSmash: 2 Bombs detonates besides him

Nair: Spins around with claws
Fair: Forward quick scratch
Bair: extended punching glove backwards
Dair: attacks diagonally down with the claws first
Uair: Upward scratch

Grab: Extended grabable Glove, good reach and fast
FThrow: Throws Forward with the glove
BThrow: Spins 2 turns and those him
DThrow: lays the opponent on the ground and scratch their back
UThrow: quick throw up and punch them later with the extended punching glove

B: "Scratch them faces".
Similiar to how diddys SideB works, meowth jumps forward and grabs the foe to scratch their faces! you can scratch faster but you cant jump of the opponent like Warios B

SideB: "Team Rocket Bazooka"
He takes out a bazooka and fires one quick, you cant controll how its move, but you can aim it diagonally up and down!

DownB: "Trap"
Meowth takes a shovel and digs a hole, which is a trap. if anyone steps into the hole he gets grounded!

UpB: "Jetpack"
Meowth gets a jackpack and can fly a bit freely with it, similiar how Robs UpB works. but if he attacks, he falls into helpless state

Finalsmash: "Team Rocket Air Balloon Attack"
A cinematic final smash (like Captain Falcon, DHD final smash)
Meowth using a machine with tries to grab someone with a glove, if connects he jumps up in the air balloon together with Jessie and James and all 3 throwing bombs on the captured one!
all 3 jumps down and does a pose, a big R attacks the opponents in the background which explodes back into the game!

BradLeeTee

Smash Cadet
Yes! idc how many pokemon are already in this game, its high time Meowth finally get's a turn. hes way more deserving of a spot than every other pokemon besides Pikachu ofc

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Yes! idc how many pokemon are already in this game, its high time Meowth finally get's a turn. hes way more deserving of a spot than every other pokemon besides Pikachu ofc
only problem is that I cant find another pokemon that meowth can replace since each pokemon somehow fills a function.
but I hope meowth do get a DLC place as a technical pokemon! that will give him more interesting moveset and character as a whole

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Sakurai doesn't find a solo Meowth to be interesting enough, then maybe Team Rocket will appear more interesting.

Team Rocket could be like a custom fighter like Mii Fighters where you choose which Poison-type Pokemon to team up with Meowth... the team is not like Ice Climbers but is like Duck Hunt... and both pairings are different and unique from each other... each pairing have their own set of moves and specials.

:052::024: excels in long ranged combat and grabs

:052::110: excels in aerial battles and projectiles

only problem is that I cant find another pokemon that meowth can replace since each pokemon somehow fills a function.
but I hope meowth do get a DLC place as a technical pokemon! that will give him more interesting moveset and character as a whole
Replace Pokeball Meowth with Persian so Meowth can join the Smash roster.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
If Sakurai doesn't find a solo Meowth to be interesting enough, then maybe Team Rocket will appear more interesting.

Team Rocket could be like a custom fighter like Mii Fighters where you choose which Poison-type Pokemon to team up with Meowth... the team is not like Ice Climbers but is like Duck Hunt... and both pairings are different and unique from each other... each pairing have their own set of moves and specials.

:052::024: excels in long ranged combat and grabs

:052::110: excels in aerial battles and projectiles

Replace Pokeball Meowth with Persian so Meowth can join the Smash roster.
there is one problem, no characters gets a treatment like that except for the Mii

but what if:
DownB makes the partner pokemon switch, similiar to pokemon trainer in brawl.
the partner pokemon is like a Luma, except it doesnt attack like him but can get launch away like luma. they are either a extra guard and can only attacks on some of meowth attacks, like when meowth grabs, arbok extends his grab or when doing UpB, Weezing gives him better Recovery.
the partner pokemon isnt Nana in IC that can attack in free will, but they are trying to get back to meowth no matter what when partner pokemon has flew away

thats how I can see he be doing if he will have a partner with him xD
still would love him to me more a mechinal/technical fighter that using tools with him, since he has done it in like every episode of pokemon!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
there is one problem, no characters gets a treatment like that except for the Mii

but what if:
DownB makes the partner pokemon switch, similiar to pokemon trainer in brawl.
the partner pokemon is like a Luma, except it doesnt attack like him but can get launch away like luma. they are either a extra guard and can only attacks on some of meowth attacks, like when meowth grabs, arbok extends his grab or when doing UpB, Weezing gives him better Recovery.
the partner pokemon isnt Nana in IC that can attack in free will, but they are trying to get back to meowth no matter what when partner pokemon has flew away

thats how I can see he be doing if he will have a partner with him xD
still would love him to me more a mechinal/technical fighter that using tools with him, since he has done it in like every episode of pokemon!
No, no, no switching Pokemon like Pokemon Trainer! Why do you think :pt: is not in SSB4? I miss :squirtle::ivysaur: dammit... that's why I suggested what I suggested... so Team Rocket would not face the same issues that :pt: did.

I also didn't suggest them to be like :rosalina: because the Lumas all do the same thing no matter their colors are. :024: and :110: are very different that they wouldn't do most of the same things.

I also didn't suggest them to be like :popo: because they had issues on the 3DS and that's why they were cut.

That's why I suggested them to be like :4mii: where you choose between :024: and :110: to team up with :052:. That's why I suggested :052::024: and :052::110: to work together as a team like :4duckhunt:.

I know no one get that kind of treatment like Mii Fighters do but it would be nice if the development team decides to extend that kind of treatment to other characters besides Mii Fighters.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
@ Arcadenik Arcadenik thats hard to do for them and especially at comptetive play if you need to create your meowth. would be easier to select which partner you want at CSS by clicking either at arbok or weezing (how selecting Zelda/Shiek in brawl).

why I was suggesting that way is because I know the 3DS limitations and why many things were cut.
the main reason why Trainer was cut to charizard was because of the transformation between characters were too much for the 3DS to handle.
why IC was scrapped was because the 3DS has problems to controll 2 seperates AI and that Nana is a second character. putting a match with 4 IC CPU with 8 diffirent AIs was too much to handle!

the solutions was to make Arbok and Weezing as a Projectile (Article in Brawl Hack term). funny thing is that Luma is a Projectile/Article with almost no AI, therefore the Luma works!

so thats why the partner pokemons can act/have simularities like a luma since it works!

or we could make Meowth both the partners at the same time there one pokemon does one attack, just like how Duck Hunt Duo works!

or we could remove Arbok and Weezing and add Wobbufett instead as a partner, since after GSC series, Wobbufett is pretty much a Team Rocket Mascot just like meowth xD

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wobbuffet would be only good for counter and reflect moves since Wobbuffet never throws the first punch, it can only counterattack... Zelda's Nayru's Love, Fox's Reflector, Palutena's Reflect Barrier, and the many Down+B counters.

Hmmm... :052::202: I like the idea... almost as much as I like :052::024: and :052::110:

EDIT: @ pikazz pikazz I posted this in the character thread but I am posting it here too.

Meowth would be doing all the fighting with claws like the other feline fighters like Felicia (Darkstalkers), Cham Cham (Samurai Shodown), Taokaka (BlazBlue), and Catwoman (Injustice) and throwing coins everywhere. But Wobbuffet is only good for countering, reflecting, neutralizing, and self-destructing!

Wobbuffet's Counter would be good for countering physical attacks (like the many Down+B counter moves). Wobbuffet's Mirror Coat would be good for reflecting projectiles (like Fox, Zelda, and Palutena)... Wobbuffet's Safeguard neutralizes status effects (Jigglypuff is singing? use Safeguard to not fall asleep when you approach Jigglypuff! someone threw Freezie at you? use Safeguard to not freeze when it hits you!)... hell, give Wobbuffet something similar to Ganondorf's and Bowser's Side+B... know what it is? Destiny Bond! :troll:

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I like it! It makes sense! Meowth has been part of Team Rocket since day one... and Wobbuffet has been part of Team Rocket since 2nd gen... and they are the only ones who are still with Team Rocket.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
:052::202: would be so unique and fun... I really like this idea! I had to vote again but for Meowth & Wobbuffet.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
This thread was started on my birthday cool. Meowth's neutral special needs to be Fury Swipes of Love. It would basically work as pikazz said for scratch dem faces but with hearts around.

Top Bottom