• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2013 Community Tier List

john!

Smash Hero
roy is garbage

i put him below ness on my list LOL

One of the things roy really lacks that seems to be prevelant in the f/g tiers is a good recovery, but his ko power is second only to bowser (if that) which can make him a big threat in low tier play. (Im not saying recovery is the only thing he lacks, but just something that can make him inferior to most in the bottom tiers, not that he is)
KO power? what are his KO moves? all he really has is fsmash, and it's pretty easy to not get hit by roy's fsmash

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Roys dsmash is really powerful for a frame 6 move. And his 3 hit of sideb kills really well and set up edge guards

Uranium235

Smash Cadet
roy is garbage

KO power? what are his KO moves? all he really has is fsmash, and it's pretty easy to not get hit by roy's fsmash
Its not that he has a large amount of them, but he has a few very good kill moves. Dsmash is an obvious option to get off quick, but if you are able predict the opponent then hitting with fsmash is definitely a viable option. Also if you knock the opponent far off the stage (assuming theyre not a floaty character) it can be extremely easy to stay by the ledge, charge flare blade and wait for them to come right in front of you (although i admit this is a very rare scenario)

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
roy is garbage

fsmash, dsmash, neutral b, counter, side B.
They are all pretty bad options minus neutral B edge guarding but he has them.
He has a pretty mean combo game out of dtilt but yeah he is still a horrible character.

I don't see your problem with that. The only advantage Roy has over Marth is a better counter and a better shffl speed (which in terms gives im lolcomboweight) but other than that he's pretty much a worse version of Marth in all other aspects. You could argue his dtilt is just as good though.

Side note, I can feasibly see Roy almost beating Falcon.

CRMT

Smash Rookie
yeah also the fact that roy has hits strongly in the inside of his sword and hits weakly on the tip effectively halves his range

Max?

Smash Champion
After reading the last few posts, I've officially determined that no one is good at this game

Uranium235

Smash Cadet
For some reason the MU gives falcon a 70:30 egde but the problem for him is a simple down b from roy on a falcon aerial (especially the knee) would end any type of combo, and would deal lots of damage. If falcon isnt careful he could get easily counter killed

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
After reading the last few posts, I've officially determined that no one is good at this game
Lol, hopefully you aren't speaking about me and I apparently am innately ********.

For some reason the MU gives falcon a 70:30 egde but the problem for him is a simple down b from roy on a falcon aerial (especially the knee) would end any type of combo, and would deal lots of damage. If falcon isnt careful he could get easily counter killed
Counter is most certainly not the reason why he can do well against Falcon. It's his dash dance combined with his combo game on falcon out of dtilt. Counter isn't even good really. He might get some mileage of his grabs as well, can't remember.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
So wait, how long has everyone on this page been playing? Namely the people who have join dates this year?'

Uranium probably a troll account specific for this thread...

And john, it's not about whether you can avoid the f-smash, so much as the u-air or down-tilt that lead to f-smash. That said, Roy has little else other than his b-moves (excluding counter, which is awful).

Uranium235

Smash Cadet
I guess its just me then but i tend to get countered a lot in the middle of combos

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
So wait, how long has everyone on this page been playing? Namely the people who have join dates this year?'

Uranium probably a troll account specific for this thread...

And john, it's not about whether you can avoid the f-smash, so much as the u-air or down-tilt that lead to f-smash. That said, Roy has little else other than his b-moves (excluding counter, which is awful).
That's like, what I said but loljoindate

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
beating, no, but i do feel like it can be an even-ish matchup
roy has a solid punish game on falcon and good ways to counter his approaches (DED, DD)
but i feel like it should be a hard-losing MU for roy if falcon actually plays specifically to beat roy (platform camping?)

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Why hasn't anyone linked this yet?

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Roy_(SSBM)

Also, the 1 year thing is pretty accurate. Actually, most people who haven't been around competitively for 2 years don't know much from what I've seen. (Myself included, I'm just a guy who hates Falco and is still learning lots of things)

For example, FourStar, saying Roy is a nerfed version of Marth is probably the most simpleminded superficial post I've seen in a long time.

Ado, about a month ago you asked how to control horizontal movement with Falco.

Uranium, counter sucks.

Hooded Informant isn't here though, thank goodness.

TLDR: Most people suck, myself included. This game is hard.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Maan they (and me) get enough flack from the better players in our community as is LOL

Max?

Smash Champion
In all fairness, many people who have played this game for years and have traveled to lots of tournaments are still bad.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Ado, about a month ago you asked how to control horizontal movement with Falco.
I have no qualms with saying it was a poorly worded question but that is not what I asked at all. Come on dude, what is your motivation? It is as if I spoke out of line or on something I knew nothing about and the content of my post on this page somehow gave that away. Even if that is what I asked or intended on asking (which it wasn't) there is a level of depth to the most seemingly mindless tactics and because this game is "hard" like you said, it would do you well to consider why a question is being asked even if you think at first the answer is obvious. You probably are missing something yourself. Just helping you avoid insulting other, possibly thin skinned, people's intelligence and giving you perspective for next time.

I could show you a post from a "good/smart" player that would, should, make you consider the depth of Falco's horizontal game right now probably in ways that you apparently have not before. If I did ask that. The answer is not that straight forward. But that's not what I said anyway.

I have no issue saying I'm not that good, but I'm not stupid. Lol don't do that.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I didn't really say you were stupid, but we can all be stupid sometimes. I was just naming a few people (myself included) that say some silly things.

Everyone can do/say something stupid.

Armada didn't DI Puff's Dthrow once. (Couldn't think of something a top player said.)

I actually think you're pretty smart, or at least sound like one of the smarter people who post on the boards IMO.

Armada

Smash Lord
Ahh that d-throw :p
I was actually for some reason (in the moment) convinced my bomb would explode before the rest. Sometimes I do keep track on how much time it is left before my bomb explodes but I was VERY wrong on that one. But yeah I wanted the bomb to explode on both of us and then do a fast nair or something

Did not work out as I hoped haha

But yeah say something stupid and do a stupid move in smash is two VERY different things, just saying!

oliman

Smash Journeyman
A bit reactionary and different, but...

Fox
Falco
Marth
Jigglypuff
Sheik
Peach
C. Falcon
ICs
Doc
Pikachu
Samus
Ganon
Luigi
Mario
DK
Yoshi
Link
Young Link
Zelda
Game & Watch
Roy
Mewtwo
Ness
Kirby
Bowser
Pichu

Reasonings
Marth could be said to do the best against the spacies in the game, which constitute about 1/3 of all players and should be weighed higher. His weak spots aren't overly glaring and his matchup spread is better than Sheik's.
Pikachu has solid enough play to put him above Ganon. He doesn't lose nearly as bad to the spacies and has found solid techniques through Axe's play.
Luigi does get destroyed by everyone like Mario, but I think his killing power, edgeguards, and better recovery put him up
Yoshi just has good enough matchups to put the guy (gal?) above some others. Don't have much experience with the guy, but watching him and hearing the theorycraft has convinced me.

Placings
I've been in the scene for about 3 1/2 years now. I haven't beaten anyone of national notice, but I consider myself around ShroudedOne's level and you guys know and love that guy. Take it as you will.

FourStar

Smash Ace
A bit reactionary and different, but...

Fox
Falco
Marth
Jigglypuff
Sheik
Peach
C. Falcon
ICs
Doc
Pikachu
Samus
Ganon
Luigi
Mario
DK
Yoshi
Link
Young Link
Zelda
Game & Watch
Roy
Mewtwo
Ness
Kirby
Bowser
Pichu

Reasonings
Marth could be said to do the best against the spacies in the game, which constitute about 1/3 of all players and should be weighed higher. His weak spots aren't overly glaring and his matchup spread is better than Sheik's.
Pikachu has solid enough play to put him above Ganon. He doesn't lose nearly as bad to the spacies and has found solid techniques through Axe's play.
Luigi does get destroyed by everyone like Mario, but I think his killing power, edgeguards, and better recovery put him up
Yoshi just has good enough matchups to put the guy (gal?) above some others. Don't have much experience with the guy, but watching him and hearing the theorycraft has convinced me.

Placings
I've been in the scene for about 3 1/2 years now. I haven't beaten anyone of national notice, but I consider myself around ShroudedOne's level and you guys know and love that guy. Take it as you will.
LOL this list has its ups and downs. like do you really think yoshi is better than link and YL? and i couldn't have agreed more with marth being better than sheik. however sheik is not worse than jigglypuff

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Yeah saying one character is better than another is one thing but actually answering important questions about why or what specifically makes you question those placements is more enlightening.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
like do you really think yoshi is better than link and YL? f

seems believable enough. yoshi's movement options are a lot better than link's and his moveset is overall quite a bit more potent than yl's. he has solid punishes on most of the cast with his uair juggle alone. his double jump super armor can be deceptive and he can live pretty long given good DI, especially since his aerial mobility seems really good. he's probably a lot less likely to get gimped than either yl and link.

having said that, not having a third jump does mean he will probably get cheesed out of his recovery at some point or another. his shield is weird, he trades off being able to jump out of shield with other wacky stuff. some of his shield properties are really, REALLY good, but not being able to jump OOS is a big deal

i dunno a lot about yoshi and i can bet most people around don't know much about yoshi either, but from what i can tell, yoshi has great potential to be a lower-mid tier character, and probably has more potential than either yl or link from what i can see.

FourStar

Smash Ace
seems believable enough. yoshi's movement options are a lot better than link's and his moveset is overall quite a bit more potent than yl's. he has solid punishes on most of the cast with his uair juggle alone. his double jump super armor can be deceptive and he can live pretty long given good DI, especially since his aerial mobility seems really good. he's probably a lot less likely to get gimped than either yl and link.

having said that, not having a third jump does mean he will probably get cheesed out of his recovery at some point or another. his shield is weird, he trades off being able to jump out of shield with other wacky stuff. some of his shield properties are really, REALLY good, but not being able to jump OOS is a big deal

i dunno a lot about yoshi and i can bet most people around don't know much about yoshi either, but from what i can tell, yoshi has great potential to be a lower-mid tier character, and probably has more potential than either yl or link from what i can see.
i guess i see it but i also have a softspot for link too :p

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Oliman, why put Shiek so low?
love the yoshi placement

Armada, you still played amazing and maintained composure. I'll guarantee I've messed up worse. I was just picking a random example . . . definitely not trying to insult your play.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
credentials:
internationally famous pop icon with over 15 million albums sold to date

also currently PR'd #3 in missouri (http://smashboards.com/threads/missouri-melee-power-rankings.336229/) and i've taken sets off some of the midwest's finest (trail, tink, matt r, etc) and a couple good OOR players. plus i think i'm the only puff main who isn't convinced my character is ass so that should count for something

blank spaces = tier breaks

fox
falco

marth
puff
sheik

peach

falcon
ic's
doc

samus
pika
mario
ganon
luigi

yoshi
young link
link
dk

zelda
mewtwo
ness
g&w

roy
bowser
pichu
kirby

some of the ordering within the tiers might be a little iffy but the tiers themselves are accurate i think. spacies beat everyone in the cast and get their own tier, marth puff sheik are pretty even but given how important the anti-spacie game is i gave marth 3rd. all the top 5 are amazing characters with answers to pretty much every matchup/situation. i would put peach in the "good but limited to the point where they shouldn't win a national tourney" group along with falcon ic's and doc, but armada consistently finds (found?) answers to peach's problems so she gets her own tier. ganon is bad

Armada

Smash Lord
Oliman, why put Shiek so low?
love the yoshi placement

Armada, you still played amazing and maintained composure. I'll guarantee I've messed up worse. I was just picking a random example . . . definitely not trying to insult your play.
Ohh no it wasn't my point. I did not feel insuled by your post at all. Maybe it looked like it but I never felt that so no offense taken man =)
Just explained what happend cause when I read that comment of yours I did remember the commentators seemed to wonder what happend too.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I can never interpret what people mean through the internet. . . although I was rather curious what happened. Interesting that you were waiting for the bomb.

Top Bottom