• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I attempted to look into the Ness Up-B thing last night for way too long and couldn’t find anything. It’s not worth the time or energy to continue at this time. If this tiny feature on one specific character that rarely ever comes into effect is the reason for not futureproofing your mod by going to 1.02, then…idk…that’s just a poor decision imo. But again, it’s just my opinion. If you gave the community a vote:

Which would you rather have? SD Remix exactly how it is, or SD Remix 99.99% the way it is, and now with the ability to use every new training/helpful code that has surfaced in the rebirth of Melee hacking in 2014+ and now be on the SSBM version that is most active in development throughout the hacking scene.

I’d bet the bank on what the answer would be. Especially considering the fact that no one on the current “SDR Team” knows how to do ASM programming. So any mods of this manner need to come from others in the Melee hacking scene and they would be much more willing to help if it didn’t require using a different version, with memory offsets in totally different locations.

Not to mention, I’ve practically done all the work for you already…You could have SDR ported to 1.02 in less than a day at this point.

Regardless, last weekend I concluded my project. SDR is in 20XX now. And you can do SDR vs. Vanilla characters if you so choose (not dittos of course). I’m very excited about it.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
So, will it be an update to the 20xx pack or SD Remix itself?

Or... what thread will your update be in, Achilles?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
are you loading alternate files for SDR characters, or are you toggling all the value changes?

I might be able to get out the next version of SDR in time for your next 20XX

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Can it be possible to get dittos of different versions with vanillas and SDR characters by doing something like this: can it be made that the player chooses a special thing in the CSS (like the space below young link/falco) that chooses a certain character set in the debug menu? This way, that space has Pichu from SDR, but a player chooses Pichu with vanilla toggle, or it's impossible to load both files?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I attempted to look into the Ness Up-B thing last night for way too long and couldn’t find anything. It’s not worth the time or energy to continue at this time. If this tiny feature on one specific character that rarely ever comes into effect is the reason for not futureproofing your mod by going to 1.02, then…idk…that’s just a poor decision imo. But again, it’s just my opinion. If you gave the community a vote:

Which would you rather have? SD Remix exactly how it is, or SD Remix 99.99% the way it is, and now with the ability to use every new training/helpful code that has surfaced in the rebirth of Melee hacking in 2014+ and now be on the SSBM version that is most active in development throughout the hacking scene.

I’d bet the bank on what the answer would be. Especially considering the fact that no one on the current “SDR Team” knows how to do ASM programming. So any mods of this manner need to come from others in the Melee hacking scene and they would be much more willing to help if it didn’t require using a different version, with memory offsets in totally different locations.

Not to mention, I’ve practically done all the work for you already…You could have SDR ported to 1.02 in less than a day at this point.

Regardless, last weekend I concluded my project. SDR is in 20XX now. And you can do SDR vs. Vanilla characters if you so choose (not dittos of course). I’m very excited about it.
Oh my god, next release HYPE! Holy cow, the unification process, it begins now!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 If you require any additional testing on the 20XX w/ SD Remix build, do let me know. I will be happy to help. It's the least I can do for all the hours you poured into making it a reality.
------------------------------
With 20XX now including SDR, here's where we can expect things to go in the next few months:

- The front page will include a link to the 20XX thread, where you can opt to download 20XX instead.
- An accompanying blog post outlining the unified pack (essentially an announcement with some commentary).
- An eventual v1.02 standalone pack of SD Remix. (This is not in high priority because of 20XX functionally accomplishing this).
- Hopefully some real SD Remix tournaments? That depends on how the community feels about SDR's inclusion into 20XX though!

What won't happen in the next few months:

- New character changes in SD Remix. v3.1 is here to stay for some time. I imagine there will be a respectable amount of 'new' SD Remix players and they need time to adapt to the changes, develop strategies and counter-strategies, etc.

Every time you patch the game, you inevitably distort that process, a process necessary for there to be any competitive viability.

Even though v3.1 has been out for...a "while," I know that only the surface of the game has been scratched. It's not appropriate to make changes with so little information and feedback.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
What about the Ganon nair, will SDR have his 1.00 number or 1.02 number in 20XX?

Hits on frames 7-8 then 16-17 (1.00) -> Hits on frames 7-8 then 20-21 (1.02)

http://www.ssbwiki.com/List_of_regional_version_differences_(SSBM)
That's all in the player files, with "events" for a specific move telling when to make hitboxes appear. (hitboxes are attached to bones on a character and offet and given a radius of size)

When you toggle an SDR character, it uses the SDR player file for that character.

This is part of the answer to your other question about dittos as well. The limitation is not something visual, like the solution you offered. It's about how the games loads character files.

Basically, it tries to do things as efficiently as possible. If Player 1 is Fox and Player 4 is Fox, why load Fox's player file twice? There's no need. Just load it once and reference the same values (animations, hitboxes, character attributes) for both characters. That is the limitation. In order for SDR and Vanilla dittos to occur, I would need to force the game to load multiple player files for a single character. And this is against the rules of the game's code to do such a thing. This might be modifiable to do so, but idk...I could see it getting really complicated as well. Not something I'm looking into right now.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
fourside's camera needs to be fixed before people play on it though

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
I think I did everything everything as directed, but the game played as if it was Melee. :^(
There's a chance I screwed something up, though. I can't really read the text on my tiny TV.

If it helps, I was using a v1.02 ISO.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
I think I did everything everything as directed, but the game played as if it was Melee. :^(
There's a chance I screwed something up, though. I can't really read the text on my tiny TV.
Did the title screen change? Does Roy's Usmash emit an explosion?

If not, it's likely you forgot to add the SD Remix files into the extracted ISO. You seem to have gotten the hard part out of the way though, so that's good!

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
Did the title screen change? Does Roy's Usmash emit an explosion?

If not, it's likely you forgot to add the SD Remix files into the extracted ISO. You seem to have gotten the hard part out of the way though, so that's good!
LOOOL
I can't believe I forgot to do that.

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
Wait, do I have to go through Wii installation again or can I just pop the SD in and play?

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Are you unable to use Gcreex? If I recall, that works without installation.
Yes and no. I do not have a computer so the only way I can get SDR running if someone can le me use their computer here at the venue. Since I do not have experience in any oother loading methods except burning the DVD it would be the simplest. Just hope that I can find someone that would let me use their computer

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yes and no. I do not have a computer so the only way I can get SDR running if someone can le me use their computer here at the venue. Since I do not have experience in any oother loading methods except burning the DVD it would be the simplest. Just hope that I can find someone that would let me use their computer
Burning the DVD has been essentially obsoleted by Homebrew USB loading via DIOS MIOS and Nintendont (plus the fact that most Wiis after 2008 or so were constructed with a DVD-proof drive), so I'd recommend doing that (plus, it is nice to be able to play SDR, Balanced Brawl, and Project M on one SD Card).

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
As a person who has never managed to use DIOS MIOS succesfully (for loading games via SD card) I am running out of ****ing patience. I have gone trough the installation progress twice and spent over 3 hours trying to get the setup work.

When I try to load SD Remix the DIOS MIOS logo appears and afterwards the screen goes black and nothing happens.
I tried the troubleshooting section but when I try to progress in the WAD Manager after selecting IOS249 I get an error message saying "-1 could not be mounted".

I decided to go with the DIOS MIOS method since it is literally impossible to download the ISO with the hotels internet.

E:

I am using a PAL wii. I managed to load 20xx from disc succesfully video setting being "auto". I also tried NTSC480p which resulted in a black screen as well.

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
As a person who has never managed to use DIOS MIOS succesfully (for loading games via SD card) I am running out of ****ing patience. I have gone trough the installation progress twice and spent over 3 hours trying to get the setup work.

When I try to load SD Remix the DIOS MIOS logo appears and afterwards the screen goes black and nothing happens.
I tried the troubleshooting section but when I try to progress in the WAD Manager after selecting IOS249 I get an error message saying "-1 could not be mounted".

I decided to go with the DIOS MIOS method since it is literally impossible to download the ISO with the hotels internet.

E:

I am using a PAL wii. I managed to load 20xx from disc succesfully video setting being "auto". I also tried NTSC480p which resulted in a black screen as well.
Are you sure you're using a 1.00 Melee iso? I'm surely wrong, but sounds like it's better to be sure and check, as the game wouldn't load like described if you're accidently using the 1.02 iso

Quillion

Smash Hero

E:

I remember having major trouble running Melee. It turned out to be the storage device.

What storage device are you using? Are you using anything from this thread? I recommend finding a SanDisk SDHC card, as they're easy to find, affordable, and work very well.

Doq

Smash Lord

E:

Nintendont and set video mode to "PAL60". Users reported this to work.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Are you sure you're using a 1.00 Melee iso? I'm surely wrong, but sounds like it's better to be sure and check, as the game wouldn't load like described if you're accidently using the 1.02 iso
Thank you for the replies. Yes I used an 1.00 ISO, it was stored on the SD Card. I was wondering if theres a way to load SD Remix like PM via Gecko (SD Codes enabled).
I remember having major trouble running Melee. It turned out to be the storage device.

What storage device are you using? Are you using anything from this thread? I recommend finding a SanDisk SDHC card, as they're easy to find, affordable, and work very well.
I am using SanDisc 2 gb card.
Nintendont and set video mode to "PAL60". Users reported this to work.
Thank you! I need to try this out, it may very well be what is wrong. Thank you! =)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Is adding Super Armor to moves an impossibility? I noticed on glook's changelist that the only Super Armor edits there are are on moves that already have it. You'd think that Super Armor would do a lot more for making characters better and keeping their niche than just making certain moves faster.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Is adding Super Armor to moves an impossibility? I noticed on glook's changelist that the only Super Armor edits there are are on moves that already have it. You'd think that Super Armor would do a lot more for making characters better and keeping their niche than just making certain moves faster.
I'm also curious as to how super armor is implemented/coded.

Imo, adding it to characters who never had it in the first place is not a good idea. If it is added, then it completely changes a game mechanic for that character, therefore changing the metagame for that character (possibly drastically, which is the kicker - invicibility while attacking is a big deal...).

Having a character jump off the ground a little faster or have hitboxes come out for an attack a couple frames earlier keeps character moveset identities VERY similar to vanilla. And this is the point of SDR - to implement subtle changes to make characters more viable while keeping their general playstyle vanilla-esque. (if I'm not mistaken...I'm not actually on the SDR team or anything). Not to mention, we all know how stubborn Melee players are. We're stubborn because we love the game the way it is and how smoothly it flows. And I think we’re allowed to be stubborn because Melee is the closest thing to a perfect game that I have ever seen. It makes sense that we’re so skeptical of change.

In my super honest opinion, I think super armor is pretty stupid, and basically defies the logic of the game. Along the same lines, I believe crouch canceling is a bit better in this game then it needs to be, and both of these mechanics can present similar situations that I believe can taint a game’s “competitively fun” factor – the fact that a player can be counter attacked by successfully landing an attack of his own. And this situation is especially s***ty for characters that do not have disjointed hitboxes on their attacks. Coupling this with the fact that it’s not a skillful action to perform at all makes it even worse. Crouch canceling – just hold down. Super armor – how about you don’t have to press anything and it just automatically happens!?!?...that’s cool…

You just really start to play with fire when you add [relatively] unskillful countering/invincibility capabilities into a game.

In terms of Yoshi though, if you take away the poor character's up-b, then you've gotta give him something substantial. So it's understandable.

(and anytime I mention invicibilty in this post, I basically just mean receiving damage but no knockback and therefore no hitstun)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm also curious as to how super armor is implemented/coded.

Imo, adding it to characters who never had it in the first place is not a good idea. If it is added, then it completely changes a game mechanic for that character, therefore changing the metagame for that character (possibly drastically, which is the kicker - invicibility while attacking is a big deal...).
So it is an unknown. At least Yoshi's super armor double jump has a clue.

Having a character jump off the ground a little faster or have hitboxes come out for an attack a couple frames earlier keeps character moveset identities VERY similar to vanilla. And this is the point of SDR - to implement subtle changes to make characters more viable while keeping their general playstyle vanilla-esque. (if I'm not mistaken...I'm not actually on the SDR team or anything). Not to mention, we all know how stubborn Melee players are. We're stubborn because we love the game the way it is and how smoothly it flows. And I think we’re allowed to be stubborn because Melee is the closest thing to a perfect game that I have ever seen. It makes sense that we’re so skeptical of change.

In my super honest opinion, I think super armor is pretty stupid, and basically defies the logic of the game. Along the same lines, I believe crouch canceling is a bit better in this game then it needs to be, and both of these mechanics can present similar situations that I believe can taint a game’s “competitively fun” factor – the fact that a player can be counter attacked by successfully landing an attack of his own. And this situation is especially s***ty for characters that do not have disjointed hitboxes on their attacks. Coupling this with the fact that it’s not a skillful action to perform at all makes it even worse. Crouch canceling – just hold down. Super armor – how about you don’t have to press anything and it just automatically happens!?!?...that’s cool…

You just really start to play with fire when you add [relatively] unskillful countering/invincibility capabilities into a game.
So what is SDR trying to do? Making the characters a bit faster just homogenizes the cast, but one of SDR's goals is to keep characters in their niche. Super Armor is actually better because characters can still move and act the same while having to worry less about being intercepted. The top-tier Fragile Speedsters would just need to either be mindful of the super armor, or they would need to start using grabs since overuse of super armor would just become predictable.

Balanced Brawl (which I still play to this day) is to Brawl as SDR is to Melee, and it added a lot of Super Armor to several characters while keeping them roughly the same.

In terms of Yoshi though, if you take away the poor character's up-b, then you've gotta give him something substantial. So it's understandable.

(and anytime I mention invicibilty in this post, I basically just mean receiving damage but no knockback and therefore no hitstun)
Well, once you or someone else figures out how to put directional movement on moves, I'm sure an SDR update will include the Brawl triple jump on Egg Throw.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
in playing lots of mewtwo before I thought mewtwo was OP.

in playing and understanding now his moveset is fine... but it seems that I'm always at the 200% percents before I go to impossible to recover

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if someone made a cool enough logo, I would. ours is pretty lame tbh

Top Bottom