• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
We aren't going to change something simply because a player is limited rather than a character
Is that in reference to improving the Phantasm/Illusion? Rather limiting way to look at it IMO.

The easier Gentleman in SDRemix is good example of improving a move despite it being feasible and widely used in Melee. Not only "limited" players are helped by the changed.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
improving gentleman was done so because it didn't work as intended, which is why we used the PAL version

Quillion

Smash Hero
Regarding RAR, DACUS, QAC, any other mechanical changes:

I want to clarify to everyone that the goal of the project is to be conservative to the nature of Melee (i.e. its game mechanics) while providing players with a relatively balanced and entertaining cast of characters. Understandably, these two objectives sometimes clash even given the flexible framework with which the SD Remix team has to work.

But RAR and other mechanic changes would best be suited for another project, as already mentioned. If that project happens to use SD Remix as its foundation, it's a testament that the SD Remix developers made something others enjoy and think desirable. And that can only be a good thing. :)
I've actually been thinking this. SD Remix is essentially the Melee equivalent of Balanced Brawl, so maybe it should stay the way it is.

If there's a mod that explicitly tries to get Melee to match Project M, it should be called Melee 2.0.

Also, what if someone here joins the Writing Staff of Smashboards? That would go a long way in promoting our beloved balance patch.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I understand the frustration.
This balance mod is ridiculously good, it seems like it ought to have more attention.
Alas and alack.
But we should have peace, brothers.
In the meantime, let's do all we can.
Perhaps some day.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I understand the frustration.
This balance mod is ridiculously good, it seems like it ought to have more attention.
Alas and alack.
But we should have peace, brothers.
In the meantime, let's do all we can.
Perhaps some day.
We could show our support by putting that little picture of SD Remix's logo in our signatures like I did.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Excellent as always!
Now to wait for another Glook video.
Man, I should stop being lazy and learn to homebrew. Break out my Wii, and break my Wii.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Excellent as always!
Man, I should stop being lazy and learn to homebrew. Break out my Wii, and break my Wii.
It's not at all difficult! The risks of something happening are also very low. Just be cautious and read carefully, and everything should be fine.

One of the easiest ways to hack the Wii is a process called the "Wii Letterbomb." Why not search that phrase with Google or Youtube? :)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It's not at all difficult! The risks of something happening are also very low. Just be cautious and read carefully, and everything should be fine.

One of the easiest ways to hack the Wii is a process called the "Wii Letterbomb." Why not search that phrase with Google or Youtube? :)
I'm doing it right now. Oh, and, I heard some talk about getting the data onto a GC memory card, like the Crazy Mod does. Is that a possibility in the near future?

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
I'm doing it right now. Oh, and, I heard some talk about getting the data onto a GC memory card, like the Crazy Mod does. Is that a possibility in the near future?
File patching using only a GC memory card is currently impossible, especially to the extent SD Remix uses it. Only time will tell.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
File patching using only a GC memory card is currently impossible, especially to the extent SD Remix uses it. Only time will tell.
I got half way through an old guide, and one of the links was removed to advertise for the new guide on this person's YT. I've installed Homebrew and Bootmii, but I checked the 'bundle' whatever software that was that came with the letterbomb thing. What do?
Edit: I can figure it out on my own, but I don't want to remove the Homebrew due to the bricking thing I was warned about. I'm sure I can just redo the thing from the top and the new will overwrite the old.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
I got half way through an old guide, and one of the links was removed to advertise for the new guide on this person's YT. I've installed Homebrew and Bootmii, but I checked the 'bundle' whatever software that was that came with the letterbomb thing. What do?
Edit: I can figure it out on my own, but I don't want to remove the Homebrew due to the bricking thing I was warned about. I'm sure I can just redo the thing from the top and the new will overwrite the old.
Letterbomb, at least from the official website, only comes bundled with Homebrew Channel and BootMii. If you installed those two, then that's all you need to do with Letterbomb.

Next is simply running through the steps to access SD Remix, which is in the first post.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Excellent as always!
Do you have an SD non-HC card? You could use the Stage Builder exploit to install the HBC that way.

Just make sure you grab the IOS 236 installer and the appropriate file to go with it before you do anything with a WAD Manager.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Letterbomb, at least from the official website, only comes bundled with Homebrew Channel and BootMii. If you installed those two, then that's all you need to do with Letterbomb.

Next is simply running through the steps to access SD Remix, which is in the first post.
All it takes is a little perseverance, I suppose. I was able to update everything, and am on my way.
Edit: downloading Melee ISO right now. Edit 2: meanwhile, the Wii is making a NAND backup for me.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Okay--now I need help. I downloaded an ISO. I think.
Should it be one file, or a folder with a bunch of files? I copied the folder to DML and renamed it ssbm
The only file that's not a .00# file is an .nfo and a .sfv
Edit: or did I just download a not ISO, so I have to find a file with a .iso or .img on the end of it that contains the whole of Melee? @ Quillion Quillion @ sdremix_troubleshooter sdremix_troubleshooter ?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Okay--now I need help. I downloaded an ISO. I think.
Should it be one file, or a folder with a bunch of files? I copied the folder to DML and renamed it ssbm
The only file that's not a .00# file is an .nfo and a .sfv
Edit: or did I just download a not ISO, so I have to find a file with a .iso or .img on the end of it that contains the whole of Melee? @ Quillion Quillion @ sdremix_troubleshooter sdremix_troubleshooter ?
Personally, I think it would be easier to use a HBC app called CleanRip. Assuming you have a Melee copy, you can get a Melee ISO from your Wii that way.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Personally, I think it would be easier to use a HBC app called CleanRip. Assuming you have a Melee copy, you can get a Melee ISO from your Wii that way.
I would have, but I'd already downloaded a gig of the ISO. Either way, I'm playing it now, after a panic when realizing my SD was too small (1 gig), I bust out an HC 16 gig black sandisk card and went through it. It's fun!
That being said, it was a pain to install.
Oh well, I'll be sure to take my Wii around with me now when I play with my dear friends :D

Edit: OH BABY PLAYING THIS FEELS GLORIOUS
GANONDORF IS GOOD MARIO IS GOOD YOSHI IS GOOD FALCON IS GOOD
EVERYONE IS GOOD I EVEN COMBOED MARTH HARD WITH KIRBY AND even the same old characters feel great! Never have I had a more satisfying pillar (except against friends) when I realized Yoshi's grab was so good and the CPU kept using it I spotdodged and rekstroyed him. Not that CPUs are hard to predict, mind, but it felt like I wasn't just taking cheap advantage of Yoshi's grab being crap (because it's not).
Also, mixing up Ganondorf's options when coming down is now fun. Am I going to stop, or wizard's foot, or what? I had a great time with Roy too, he felt like he should. Dinky moves leading to lots of hits leading to a climax (3/4 of my combos ended in f/u-smash). Zelda's lightning kicks and Luigi's chop felt usable. I had a few neat combos with the tilts on Zelda, but d-tilt didn't have the range I wanted, and getting out was as easy as ever with her floatiness. Walling was fun with her too, and capitalizing on the mistakes of the others doesn't feel cheap because, again, there are no ultra stupid laggy moves that make no sense.
WHY DIDN'T I GET THIS SOONER
I know the answer. Hacking the Wii was too intimidating. I didn't want to take half the day (and I did take half the day) to do everything. But, I'm having fun with it now, and that's what matters most.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I would have, but I'd already downloaded a gig of the ISO. Either way, I'm playing it now, after a panic when realizing my SD was too small (1 gig), I bust out an HC 16 gig black sandisk card and went through it. It's fun!
That being said, it was a pain to install.
Oh well, I'll be sure to take my Wii around with me now when I play with my dear friends :D

Edit: OH BABY PLAYING THIS FEELS GLORIOUS
GANONDORF IS GOOD MARIO IS GOOD YOSHI IS GOOD FALCON IS GOOD
EVERYONE IS GOOD I EVEN COMBOED MARTH HARD WITH KIRBY AND even the same old characters feel great! Never have I had a more satisfying pillar (except against friends) when I realized Yoshi's grab was so good and the CPU kept using it I spotdodged and rekstroyed him. Not that CPUs are hard to predict, mind, but it felt like I wasn't just taking cheap advantage of Yoshi's grab being crap (because it's not).
Also, mixing up Ganondorf's options when coming down is now fun. Am I going to stop, or wizard's foot, or what? I had a great time with Roy too, he felt like he should. Dinky moves leading to lots of hits leading to a climax (3/4 of my combos ended in f/u-smash). Zelda's lightning kicks and Luigi's chop felt usable. I had a few neat combos with the tilts on Zelda, but d-tilt didn't have the range I wanted, and getting out was as easy as ever with her floatiness. Walling was fun with her too, and capitalizing on the mistakes of the others doesn't feel cheap because, again, there are no ultra stupid laggy moves that make no sense.
WHY DIDN'T I GET THIS SOONER
I know the answer. Hacking the Wii was too intimidating. I didn't want to take half the day (and I did take half the day) to do everything. But, I'm having fun with it now, and that's what matters most.
I am going to agree with this post.

Mario is AWESOME in this, Ganondorf is gr8 but he already was before so naturally....you know who's really fun now? Roy. Mewtwo is nice, Luigi feels AMAZING (Spacie tier SH Fireball is the god), Dr. Mario feels worse than Mario now but I like his improved options (solid mid tier IMO).

I'm in love with this mod, like, hard. I think their general approach was to make everyone faster and more flexible at doing what they did already which means I think the tierlist is mostly the same BUT I feel like some chars have shifted up greatly (mainly Roy and Mewtwo) and that the gaps between each section are a lot smaller now.

I would love for this to gain momentum in the future via even easier setups and stuff. I could see it being a hoot and a holler!

Last edited:

The Yakamo X

Smash Rookie
This might have already been addressed, so sorry if I missed something but I was trying to get SD remix to work and after was done doing it (using the instructions) I decided to play some PM. and my Wii won't read my Brawl disc. I'm not complaining or anything, just wondering if anyone knows how I would go about fixing the issue. If I broke my Wii it's my own fault and I'll just buckle down and get a new one.
But it seems like something that can be fixed and I'm just missing something here.
Anyone know what I could do?
[Resolved]

Last edited:

mooki

Smash Apprentice
This might have already been addressed, so sorry if I missed something but I was trying to get SD remix to work and after was done doing it (using the instructions) I decided to play some PM. and my Wii won't read my Brawl disc. I'm not complaining or anything, just wondering if anyone knows how I would go about fixing the issue. If I broke my Wii it's my own fault and I'll just buckle down and get a new one.
But it seems like something that can be fixed and I'm just missing something here.
I don't know what the instructions even say because I already understood how to replace melee internal files, but I highly doubt you broke you Wii and need to buy a new one dude. You probably screwed with some internal loading files in the Wii and they need to be fixed. My suggestion is to download ModMii and use the update wii option to "rehack" your Wii.

Edit: Plus, you didn't even explain how the discs not loading. For all we know, you could have scratched your disc. Is it even giving you an error message?

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
This is the first I've heard of this. When you say Brawl cannot be read, is there a specific error message or graphic indicating it to you? If so, what does it say/what is it?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Whoa, I didn't expect this amount of supporters for SD Remix.

Everyone: show your support via your signature! Put the SD Remix logo in your signature like MonK4 and I did!

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
I ran into a problem installing the Dolphin Method. I opened the zip file and it didn't contain a main.dol file in it.

Is there something I did wrong?

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
I ran into a problem installing the Dolphin Method. I opened the zip file and it didn't contain a main.dol file in it.

Is there something I did wrong?
As @ Doq Doq said, main.dol is the same as Start.dol and are used interchangeably. I've corrected the naming convention on that tutorial. Let me know if there are any further problems.

I've also cleaned up the first post a bit and added @_glook 's changelist URL.

---------------
"Did someone make a house call?" - Dr. Mario: http://meleesdr.blogspot.com/2014/12/sdr-character-preview-16-dr-mario.html

The Yakamo X

Smash Rookie
This is the first I've heard of this. When you say Brawl cannot be read, is there a specific error message or graphic indicating it to you? If so, what does it say/what is it?
Sorry for that, turns out it was just the Brawl disc needed to be cleaned.
It wasn't giving me any error message so I wasn't aware.
The screen was just black.

Capt. Tin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Capt.Tin
As @ Doq Doq said, main.dol is the same as Start.dol and are used interchangeably. I've corrected the naming convention on that tutorial. Let me know if there are any further problems.

I've also cleaned up the first post a bit and added @_glook 's changelist URL
Other than me not knowing that main.dol and Start.dol are the same, it installed fine. Really liking the mod as a whole.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I'm hoping I'm looking at Pichu correctly (waiting for dev update on the blog to confirm it) but I feel like Pichu is like, super amazing offstage with its vastly improved air speed and that Nair + recovery. Dare I say it, the offstage GOD. I feel like Pichu's on-stage is only OKAY but all it takes is a conversion into an offstage situation and then it's mad advantageous IMMEDIATELY. I plan on playing this character in SDR to mess with my friends, so I'm buckling down and getting ready.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
On a side note, any ideas for potentially getting SD remix to run widescreen?

I believe I tried Gecko codes but I think those didn't work because SD Remix reverts Smash's version, correct?

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
PLEASE that Fair hitbox is too big, it's not fun when a move that powerful is so easy to hit with. Perhaps make the hitbox smaller or consider making it more difficult to sweetspot

Then again, Falco's dair though...

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
PLEASE that Fair hitbox is too big, it's not fun when a move that powerful is so easy to hit with. Perhaps make the hitbox smaller or consider making it more difficult to sweetspot

Then again, Falco's dair though...
I'd say keep it, Pichu needs SOMETHING big to help him. I find him quite fun to play as, actually! I plan on playing him seriously in SD Remix because of his great attributes and hilariously amazing offstage game that is quite a marvel to see. (Nair all the way into the blastzones? Check!)

This character is way too ****ing godlike and way too fun. I want this to get upgraded to side-event tier so bad so I can take my Pichu out when I'm done labbing omg.

Last edited:
Top Bottom