• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

Quillion

Smash Hero
its basically the PM of Melee!!
It's more like the Balanced Brawl of Melee.

And now I've truly realized why the Melee community at large isn't paying attention to SDR: They're stubborn.

I should've realized this from their reactions to Brawl and Smash 4, but after asking them about it, they're pretty much freely admitting to the fact that they're stubborn.

The only reason PM is as popular as it is is because the dev team doubles as moderators of this very site, and they've been abusing their moderator powers to push PM on everyone.

We DESPERATELY need that kind of support.

Yeeeeeaaaaah. As far as SDR popularity is concerned, no doubt, the installation process holds this project back. I've tried multiple different booting methods and all have failed :I

I can get this game running on Dolphin as a custom ISO but thats just about it.
The only trouble that I've ever had was finding a storage device that works. And even then, I made this thread to help with that trouble.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Wrong button again (thought I finally stopped that habit)

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I've actually been working on SDR in my own time again.

I gave sheik a new f-smash

Falcon has a new up-smash (his 64 up-smash)

a reworking of bowser's and yoshi's hurtboxes.

and I was recently looking into if I could make RAR possible in melee with specific characters
What is RAR? And can you provide some info on how to modify hurtboxes? or like, where exactly theyre located in the player files?

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
RAR is reverse aerial rush. the brawl/PM thing where the game lets you do advancing turnaround back airs because the turnaround animation in that game actually turns you around when you cancel it with a jump.

as for the hurtboxes.

Vanilla Bowser hurtboxes

New bowser

other characters are listed in a similar area in their files.

edit: I have also found out that some of the 0 values for the offsets before and or after modify certain aspect of the hurtbox. I managed to extend bowser's foot to the length of FD by making giant values. some I'm pretty sure MOST values you see are size values. if there is a value close by or right next to it then I'm pretty sure it a X,Y,Z length offset. which would make sense since there are some negative values in there. Yoshi's nose uses one of these. you have to 0 out both in order to get rid of them though

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I've actually been working on SDR in my own time again.

I gave sheik a new f-smash

Falcon has a new up-smash (his 64 up-smash)

a reworking of bowser's and yoshi's hurtboxes.

and I was recently looking into if I could make RAR possible in melee with specific characters
What is RAR? And can you provide some info on how to modify hurtboxes? or like, where exactly there are located in the player files?
RAR is reverse aerial rush. the brawl/PM thing where the game lets you do advancing turnaround back airs because the turnaround animation in that game actually turns you around when you cancel it with a jump.

as for the hurtboxes.

Vanilla Bowser hurtboxes

New bowser

other characters are listed in a similar area in their files.

edit: I have also found out that some of the 0 values for the offsets before and or after modify certain aspect of the hurtbox. I managed to extend bowser's foot to the length of FD by making giant values. some I'm pretty sure MOST values you see are size values. if there is a value close by or right next to it then I'm pretty sure it a X,Y,Z length offset. which would make sense since there are some negative values in there. Yoshi's nose uses one of these. you have to 0 out both in order to get rid of them though
How are you testing what you modify? Are you changing them midgame?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
lol.

I use HxD to change the value, save it back on my SD card and then boot it up. look at what changed in debug. then save the change or modify it back if it did nothing. I can't modify stuff midgame. super tedious stuff.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
lol.

I use HxD to change the value, save it back on my SD card and then boot it up. look at what changed in debug. then save the change or modify it back if it did nothing. I can't modify stuff midgame. super tedious stuff.
If you are able to run Dolphin, then you don't want to do that. You can be MUCH more efficient about it.

They can be changed "midgame", you just need to use Dolphin in Debug Mode. It doesn't look like they can be changed with an accompanying effect during the middle of a match, but you can change the values after you choose a stage and before your character actually gets placed on screen.

I did a really rudimentary test and it worked.
1) Chose Bowser
2) Picked stage, and manually paused the game with Dolphin as it was loading.
3) Checked the RAM and his hurtbox info was loaded.
4) Modified values.
5) Resumed game and match loaded and hurtboxes were successfully modified.

Untitled-2.png

(was using 20XX for easy hitbox toggling and solo matches)

All you need then is to make a save state when you paused it so after seeing your modifications in-game, load state, remodify, and then retest, and repeat. And once you've got it just the way you want, thats when you make the hex changes in the player file.

Are you familiar with using Debug Dolphin?

Thanks for the info on where those are located, btw.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm not familiar with it at all, but I can run dolphin.

I made the changes I want to the hutboxes anyway. I don't want to change anything else.

the last thing I want to figure out is what the white bubble does and if I can modify where shield spawns on a character.

oh, and I want to change the hitstun/shieldstun formula. I want to make a 64-esque melee. or maybe even a melee minus

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Whoa, didn't know that development is still active.

I actually hope you can make RAR universal, since hacking an AT into Melee would go a long way towards making SD Remix more unique and turning the heads of stubborn vMelee players.

Doq

Smash Lord
Therefore, if I changed SSBM's ISO.hdr title string to 'SD Remix' but kept GALE01, upon the first use of Nintendont, all subsequent entries of GALE01 would be titled 'SD Remix' even if I actually had 3 other copies of vanilla NTSC-U SSBM on that ext. media.
This is semi-correct. I have two copies of Melee with the ID Gale01, one has the label "Super Smash Bros. Melee" and the other "Super Smash Bros Melee" (notice no period on "Bros."). However in later versions title IDs are downloaded, and are loaded from the downloaded file, rather than the ISO itself -- which I especially dislike and disabled when I got the newer versions.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Start.dol and main.dol are the same file. In GCRebuilder, the file is called Start.dol. I think this may steer you into the right direction. Keep me posted.
Using the Start.dol as the replacement, I followed the instructions and got the rebuilt iso, but when I boot DioMios it cannot find the game, same with USB Loader GX. Do I need the sys folder from the USB pack?

EDIT2: Reinstalled DIOSMIOSv1.0 and got it working! The game looks awesome and Pichu is as fun as he is cute <3. Only thing though I'm confused about is if Yoshi is supposed to be able to jump OOS, because the change log says something about jump OOS, but I can't understand it.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
EDIT2: Reinstalled DIOSMIOSv1.0 and got it working! The game looks awesome and Pichu is as fun as he is cute <3. Only thing though I'm confused about is if Yoshi is supposed to be able to jump OOS, because the change log says something about jump OOS, but I can't understand it.
You cannot jump OoS, but you can jump during the pre-shield frames (when the egg is 'being built'), which incidentally is close to where the parry windows are.

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxHmLvVxLx0&list=FLR7fUIvr-ShoQ7JPc39dB3A&index=1 Btw I don't know if we've all seen this yet, but wouldn't this make SDR much easier to access, and possibly tourney-viable?
Yeah, but it would also be very difficult, especially with the size of your typical memory card being so small. A brute-force way of loading everything would require one of those 64MB memory cards, I believe, when the typical memory card is an order of magnitude smaller.

DJLO

Smash Journeyman
Hi DJLO, I'm glad you are enjoying SD Remix! You may have forgotten to install some files if you didn't see a custom CSS or title screen (or perhaps you're playing with a Japanese copy?)

The nintendont menu references the game by title ID, and SD Remix will be read as GALE01, so it's natural that Super Smash Bros. Melee would appear twice (nintendont will simply copy the title entries across multiple, identical titleIDs). It's possible to change the title ID to something else, but I wouldn't want people having two memory card entries for Melee (the game would create a new save file for the new ID), among other things.

As for your land cancelling suggestion: it was considered at some point, but we decided it's for the best now to limit it to GnW and Luigi. ;)

Of course, it's more than an appropriate idea to pursue in a Melee- game. Someone should consider it!
I'm actually using a premade .iso from the darkumbra forums, so im thinking its just outdated or something.

I see what you mean with the title ids, so thats all good.

Aw man, well balance is important. I agree though a Melee- or like "super cancel edition" would be pretty cool. Auto landcancel everything maybe? would be goofy but fun

edit: remade the iso proper and the css is different now, alright!

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Question for developers: How far can you guys go in incorporating certain Brawl ATs like DACUS, RAR, and some character-specific stuff like Pikachu's Quick Attack cancelling, and well... all of this stuff?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
QAC would be easy to implement, I'm looking into if RAR is possible, and DACUS is impossible

Quillion

Smash Hero
Quillion, are you a troll? you keep calling melee fans "stubborn"
Well, mainly I hate that a lot of people are willing to install PM to homebrew considering that SD non-HC cards are getting more rare, but no one's willing to install SDR. If we're going to get this more popular, we need to be more forceful.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Well, mainly I hate that a lot of people are willing to install PM to homebrew considering that SD non-HC cards are getting more rare, but no one's willing to install SDR. If we're going to get this more popular, we need to be more forceful.
SD Remix is ridiculously underrated

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Hello, I need some help installing this through a USB. I follow all of the steps, and yet SD Remix doesn't show up on the dios-mios launcher.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I need some help installing this through a USB. I follow all of the steps, and yet SD Remix doesn't show up on the dios-mios launcher.
Did you press the appropriate button to switch the media? If you're loading through USB, I think Dios-Mios Launcher defaults to SD at first.

If that still doesn't work, make sure your USB is being read by the Wii to begin with. Maybe...ehm, try a Wii game on it?

-----------------------
Well, the journey to finish all the character previews before the year's end continues! Here's Mario: http://meleesdr.blogspot.com/2014/12/sdr-character-preview-12-mario.html

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Did you press the appropriate button to switch the media? If you're loading through USB, I think Dios-Mios Launcher defaults to SD at first.

If that still doesn't work, make sure your USB is being read by the Wii to begin with. Maybe...ehm, try a Wii game on it?

-----------------------
Well, the journey to finish all the character previews before the year's end continues! Here's Mario: http://meleesdr.blogspot.com/2014/12/sdr-character-preview-12-mario.html
It's definitely being read and I switched to USB. What would be the step I performed incorrectly if it's not being shown?

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely being read and I switched to USB. What would be the step I performed incorrectly if it's not being shown?
If the game isn't shown at all, I can only guess that the folder directories aren't correct.

Ensure that the structure is similar: USB:\games\GALE01

inside the GALE01 folder, ensure that the folders 'sys' and 'root' exist.

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
Have any changes been made to the Top Tier characters? You may want to add a "Fox" spoiler tag to the character discussion area in the first post, and just say "no changes from 1.04" or whatever. Easier to tell if nothing has been changed.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
If the game isn't shown at all, I can only guess that the folder directories aren't correct.

Ensure that the structure is similar: USB:\games\GALE01

inside the GALE01 folder, ensure that the folders 'sys' and 'root' exist.
Yep everything's in the right place with those exact names.

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
No changes made to the top 6 (Fox, Falco, Jiggs, Sheik, Peach, Marth).
I realize there's probably reluctance to change the well know top tier tournament viable characters at all in SDRemix.

However, I'd suggest that "gimpy" aspects of the top tier characters be corrected in SDRemix. (These would be buffs to correct aspects that allow you to accidentally gimp yourself. Not nerfs to make it harder to gimp others. For example, Marth chain grabs would not be touched.)

The Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm are pretty obvious examples of this. Much more apparent for Falco due to the standard strategy of Short Hop Laser. Easy to accidentally Side-B off the ledge when you're trying to move + SHL or reverse SHL. No one feels good about these Self Destructs, even Mew2King. (gfycat.com/LazyIncomparableAsianwaterbuffalo)

Could SDRemix allow for turning / movement / edgegrabbing after the phantasm/illusion? Some way to prevent an accidental SD?

Allowing an available 2nd jump after the phantasm is probably too much of a change. Allowing a Fire Bird 3rd jump certainly would be. (Those recoveries tho...)

Turning to catch the ledge, within range, would significantly help the Self Destruct issue while not significantly impacting the Fox/Falco metagame.

It also opens Spacie Side B up as an interesting ledgegrabbing technique. IMO small improvements that add character complexity should be up for discussion.

Thoughts?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I realize there's probably reluctance to change the well know top tier tournament viable characters at all in SDRemix.

However, I'd suggest that "gimpy" aspects of the top tier characters be corrected in SDRemix. (These would be buffs to correct aspects that allow you to accidentally gimp yourself. Not nerfs to make it harder to gimp others. For example, Marth chain grabs would not be touched.)

The Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm are pretty obvious examples of this. Much more apparent for Falco due to the standard strategy of Short Hop Laser. Easy to accidentally Side-B off the ledge when you're trying to move + SHL or reverse SHL. No one feels good about these Self Destructs, even Mew2King. (gfycat.com/LazyIncomparableAsianwaterbuffalo)

Could SDRemix allow for turning / movement / edgegrabbing after the phantasm/illusion? Some way to prevent an accidental SD?

Allowing an available 2nd jump after the phantasm is probably too much of a change. Allowing a Fire Bird 3rd jump certainly would be. (Those recoveries tho...)

Turning to catch the ledge, within range, would significantly help the Self Destruct issue while not significantly impacting the Fox/Falco metagame.

It also opens Spacie Side B up as an interesting ledgegrabbing technique. IMO small improvements that add character complexity should be up for discussion.

Thoughts?
Well, the Balanced Brawl developers thought that allowing a second jump out of Illusion wasn't a big change. That could work.

QAC would be easy to implement, I'm looking into if RAR is possible, and DACUS is impossible
Y'know, maybe we don't need to implement the DACUS. What if you allow running to be canceled by an Up Smash, except unlike Brawl, you can Up Smash even out of the initial dash?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
We aren't going to change something simply because a player is limited rather than a character

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
Even though I just got back to the States, I don't think I'll be able to get the Young Link overview out before leaving again on Sunday. Sorry if anybody was waiting on them. See you guys middle of January.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Yep everything's in the right place with those exact names.
Hmm, interesting. I've never run into this problem before, but I chalk this problem to be either:
- An incompatible USB drive (which is weird, since usually the games will be detected, but just cannot run. i.e. 'Apploader size is zero')
- DIOS-MIOS failed to install correctly. I assume you've tried the troubleshooting steps already, but it couldn't help to try again.

If possible, try booting using a spare SD card and Dios-Mios-Lite instead?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Hmm, interesting. I've never run into this problem before, but I chalk this problem to be either:
- An incompatible USB drive (which is weird, since usually the games will be detected, but just cannot run. i.e. 'Apploader size is zero')
- DIOS-MIOS failed to install correctly. I assume you've tried the troubleshooting steps already, but it couldn't help to try again.

If possible, try booting using a spare SD card and Dios-Mios-Lite instead?
I'll try getting another USB or an SD card and seeing if that works.

iiZESB

Smash Rookie
NNID
iiZESB
3DS FC
5086-1588-6152
Hey, I only heard about this mod today, tried it out and am in love with it (I like Pichu but now he's SUPER fun to play). Thanks for all the work you've put into it. I'm going to spread the word about this and am surprised it took me this long to stumble across it. Going to hopefully have a set up for SD Remix at my smashfests soon.

I kind of have a cruel prank in my mind, which is to change it a bit so it looks close to original melee (from the outside), and then wreck people with Pichu/get people interested in lower tiers (At my house, not tournaments or anything). I understand that MnSlChr.usd is the file for the character select screen? If I replace that with vanilla melees file, it won't be so obvious it's a mod until you actually play characters not in the top 6.

Is there anything else I can change to make it look more like normal melee? I understand the logos and stuff are there for a good reason, but if you can help me on my mission that would be cool.

Edit: Is there any way to keep certain characters the way they were in melee, but keep others in their SD Remix form?

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Try giving RAR to someone who has no moonwalk, or a crappy moonwalk. Also try giving it to someone with a nifty Bair (YL, Link, Kirby). G&W maybe, because Bair > Dair off the stage is freaking amazing (I am a G&W project M main, I FINALLY PLAY A HIGH TIER)

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Is there anything else I can change to make it look more like normal melee? I understand the logos and stuff are there for a good reason, but if you can help me on my mission that would be cool.

Edit: Is there any way to keep certain characters the way they were in melee, but keep others in their SD Remix form?
While I condemn doing anything to deceive people as to what they're actually playing, it would be ostentatious to dissuade you (this is a hacked game, after all). Withholding knowledge and information is no good either.

1. Do not replace file GmTtAl.usd if you wish to keep the title screen logo identical.
2. MnSlChr.usd and MnSlChr.dat should also be unchanged to keep the Character Select Screen identical.
3. There is no easy way to keep some characters vanilla (that aren't top 6) while handpicking ones that are rebalanced. The changes are both present in their Plxx.dat files and within other files such as main.dol, as well as PlCo.dat and the Kirby hats (latter two if applicable).

However, if you want to make some attempt at it, each Plxx.dat file corresponds to a character. Not changing them would give you a somewhat vanilla Melee version of that character (frame data modifications would still exist)
Here's a Plxx.dat = Character xx list by Steelia: here

---------------------------------
Regarding RAR, DACUS, QAC, any other mechanical changes:

I want to clarify to everyone that the goal of the project is to be conservative to the nature of Melee (i.e. its game mechanics) while providing players with a relatively balanced and entertaining cast of characters. Understandably, these two objectives sometimes clash even given the flexible framework with which the SD Remix team has to work.

But RAR and other mechanic changes would best be suited for another project, as already mentioned. If that project happens to use SD Remix as its foundation, it's a testament that the SD Remix developers made something others enjoy and think desirable. And that can only be a good thing. :)

iiZESB

Smash Rookie
NNID
iiZESB
3DS FC
5086-1588-6152
@ sdremix_troubleshooter sdremix_troubleshooter thanks for your help, it worked exactly as you said.

Are there any other files I can get rid of, e.g. for debug menu/custom stages?

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@ sdremix_troubleshooter sdremix_troubleshooter thanks for your help, it worked exactly as you said.

Are there any other files I can get rid of, e.g. for debug menu/custom stages?
As Troubleshooter said, I highly suggest against this idea. It sounds like exactly something that would give someone a bad taste in their mouth about a mod. But you're free to do whatever you please, and if it's just with your friends and you know they would enjoy the joke - then whatever.

@ sdremix_troubleshooter sdremix_troubleshooter , so you've been Vietgeek this whole time???

Last edited:

iiZESB

Smash Rookie
NNID
iiZESB
3DS FC
5086-1588-6152
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Yeah don't worry, I understand what you mean and this is purely to mess with a few friends. I intend to have a set up for the real SD Remix at future smash fests and this edited version won't leave my house.

Top Bottom