• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix - 3.3 Full with Slippi Rollback Released!

_glook

Got a Passion for Smashin'
Ice Climbers overview

Edit: On another note, I've been trying to do testing and it seems that Doctor Mario's weight is unchanged between vMelee and SD Remix. I've tried various scenarios in training mode and I can't get it to where doc will die in vMelee and not SD Remix; for instance, Doc will die an both versions off the left side from the P2 spawn point on FD in both versions at 943% but won't die at 942% on both.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Ice Climbers overview

Edit: On another note, I've been trying to do testing and it seems that Doctor Mario's weight is unchanged between vMelee and SD Remix. I've tried various scenarios in training mode and I can't get it to where doc will die in vMelee and not SD Remix; for instance, Doc will die an both versions off the left side from the P2 spawn point on FD in both versions at 943% but won't die at 942% on both.
That's because the weight was changed back to 100 between v2.5 and v3.0F.

The Gerbil

Smash Cadet
I don't post here often, if at all, but I am very glad that I am not alone in this. I was thinking about making my own balance mod, but it seems you have come to the rescue. Congratulations to the dedicated few who made my dreams come true. I can hopefully destroy people with Kirby and Mewtwo now :p.

One day I hope SD Remix becomes the next Project M in that it gets a huge following. One of the biggest turnoffs from me playing competitively when younger was that the only characters I liked playing were bottom tier. I haven't given this a shot yet (I only discovered this a few minutes ago after a comment in M2K's Twitch stream that mentioned the mod here) but intend to soon.

I am not that experienced in modding myself. My knowledge only extends to attribute and hitbox modification. But if you need any help, whether it may be slight stat tweaks or balance play testing, feel free to PM me. My only problem is that lately I am limited in time but I will try to work around that.

Geranimo

Smash Cadet
Hey, thanks for this awesome hack! I would like to have this and 20xx at the same time, is it possible to have both in the same iso? How could I do that? Thanks

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Hey, thanks for this awesome hack! I would like to have this and 20xx at the same time, is it possible to have both in the same iso? How could I do that? Thanks
Currently, you need to have a separate ISO for 20XX and SD Remix.

In all honesty, the hardest part of porting SD Remix to 1.02 (and therefore EVENTUALLY compatible with 20XX) would be replicating all the 1.00-specific 'features' that the various low tier characters have and porting the frame speed modifier engine to 1.02.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Currently, you need to have a separate ISO for 20XX and SD Remix.

In all honesty, the hardest part of porting SD Remix to 1.02 (and therefore EVENTUALLY compatible with 20XX) would be replicating all the 1.00-specific 'features' that the various low tier characters have and porting the frame speed modifier engine to 1.02.
'features' as in little ASM codes like my luigi one? I guess I've been meaning to ask if you have a list of hacks you guys use that are not in DAT files (and not in the DOL mod topic).

FSM Engine is already ported.

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
'features' as in little ASM codes like my luigi one? I guess I've been meaning to ask if you have a list of hacks you guys use that are not in DAT files (and not in the DOL mod topic).

FSM Engine is already ported.
Yes, those if they have not already been ported or available in 1.02

But I was referring to things such as how SDI works in 1.00, the Young Link boomerang cancels, Ness Yo-yo behavior, Bowser flame cancels, etc.

I should compile a list of boot.dol modifications and have it sent to you sometime tomorrow. I don't believe there's anything particularly special or difficult. The most technically impressive piece of SD Remix is Magus's FSM Engine. :p

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I was actually wondering about a little something while my keyboard was clickety clacking away on the interwebs. Have you guy's considered making a Melee Hack Pack X SD Remix Wombo Combo Mod Pack? To remove the extravagant dream title and add some explanation in it's place, have you folks though of adding SD Remix character/frame etc changes to the the 20XX hack pack?

_glook

Yeah, they there's a few issues with it. There's a discussion about it starting on post 1367, about 7 posts up on this page, but a lot of it has to do with them both being based on different versions of the game.

The Gerbil

Smash Cadet
I read the whole blog, looks fabulous. I have one question though...

Do you plan on making all stages tourney-viable? Or are only the stages listed in the OP going to get changes? Personally I feel like we could get very creative with fixing many banned stages. The possibilities seem endless. There's like what? 24 banned stages on vanilla Melee? And only 6 legal?

NES Falchion

Smash Cadet
Every time I try to launch the game through Dios Mios I get the gamecube error message saying that I have to reset my console. Any idea why this is happening?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Every time I try to launch the game through Dios Mios I get the gamecube error message saying that I have to reset my console. Any idea why this is happening?
I don't think were the best at troubleshooting here. Basic advice is as follows.
1. Test DIOS MIOS with another vanilla game. If it doesn't, re install. Otherwise, continue.
2. Make sure that the iso that you "legally acquired" is v1.02.
3. Rebuild your iso.

_glook

I think the ISO is supposed to be 1.0, although it seems to not matter.

The biggest thing for me that threw me off is the part where the SD card had to be formatted with 64 kb file allocation. It'll delete everything on your SD card to format it, though.

_glook

Samus:

There's a few things in the change list I found did not apply to Samus anymore: Upsmash foot doesn't seem to have any knockback growth, homing missile doesn't decelerate any later than in vMelee, and bomb doesn't do any extra damage.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Just coming in here to say this is fantastic and I love every bit of it. I'm having a damn good time with the character changes, guess I'll gloss over all of the chars I play

Mario:
- Thank you for giving him better air speed and general movement buffs. I can't quite tell exactly if he matches Doc's air speed or is faster than him now but I think it's the latter and it definitely makes more sense given Mario's not as good aerials.
- The IASA change to UpTilt is so juicy and I love it. I say this like 20 times over about the DTilt one too, gives it definite poking use.
- Why was Mario's Fair NOT like it is here in the actual game? I'm glad the speed increase actually did make it really usable as it's now a fast as hell meteor making it much more reliable.
- Just the little changes have added up to make this character so much more fun.

Dr. Mario:
- Minor efficiency buffs are never a bad thing. He's relatively tame in terms of changes comparatively, but he still feels a good deal improved.

Luigi:
- This is the real dream right here. Looking at the numbers alone I didn't think the air speed changes or any of that would really stack up but he feels a LOT better in the air now, and just better overall because of that.

Ganondorf and Falco haven't changed to the point where I feel like the differences really need any comment beyond me loving Ganon's new Uptilt. This is seriously fun and I wish this caught on more because it has so much potential.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Keep it up, gents!
Now, I just have to stop being lazy/dumb and spend a few hours getting mods onto my Wii/GC.

Edit: Oh, have you guys ever gotten SD Remix on a tourney stream? I think that would be awesome. Not to mention that I've never seen gameplay of this before :D Nevermind, I've watched some of Glook's stuff. But, still!

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
Keep it up, gents!
Now, I just have to stop being lazy/dumb and spend a few hours getting mods onto my Wii/GC.

Edit: Oh, have you guys ever gotten SD Remix on a tourney stream? I think that would be awesome. Not to mention that I've never seen gameplay of this before :D Nevermind, I've watched some of Glook's stuff. But, still!
We have not as there hasn't been any TO with great interest and enthusiasm toward SD Remix.

You can find some gameplay footage on the official Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MeleeSdRemix

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
We have not as there hasn't been any TO with great interest and enthusiasm toward SD Remix.
You'd think there would be, Project M is a very good mod as well and it gets plenty of attention, can't see why this wouldn't :/.

I'm also definitely excited about potential future updates perhaps making this compatible with the 20XX Melee pack cause combining all of those features in the debug menu + better balance would be awesome.

XxGUNZxX

Smash Apprentice
You'd think there would be, Project M is a very good mod as well and it gets plenty of attention, can't see why this wouldn't :/.

I'm also definitely excited about potential future updates perhaps making this compatible with the 20XX Melee pack cause combining all of those features in the debug menu + better balance would be awesome.
Totally! My friends and I are all waiting for this to be on 20XX as well! I think once that happens, it will get much much bigger!

_glook

Part of the problem, I think, is that SD Remix is more difficult to set up than PM, as PM has that weird stage builder bug. There currently is no way to get SD Remix to work on a Gamecube (except with maybe hard-modding, soft-modding has thus far not worked for me), which probably cuts some Melee players out. It's not particularly difficult to get it to work on a Wii, but there's a process that some of people probably don't want to do, especially since it replaces stuff on your console (letterbomb/dios mios). Still trying to figure out a way to get it to work on a Gamecube; if it's possible to get working on a Gamecube without soldering, that should help a great deal.

The other thing is that a lot of people simply don't know about it; when I take it to smashfests/tournies, maybe 2 or 3 people have even heard about it. For those who never heard about it, the reception is generally positive, and the people that are cool to it (the ones that hate low tiers) are okay with playing on it anyway, as high tiers are untouched. I think I do lose a few people, though, because they don't understand the changes. I should maybe start bringing a sheet with QR codes to urls to the video overviews to smashfests, as I imagine people will "get it" better if they see it rather than being told/reading it.

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman

_glook

Okay, so what I said about SD Remix not working on a Gamecube: not true, it just didn't work on MY Gamecube. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that I got my GCN as soon as Melee came out (which was like 5 days after release).

Here's the process to get it to work on a Gamecube that I've managed to do. I've included links as well.:

How to play Super Smash Brothers Melee SD Remix 3.1 on a Gamecube (Softmod method)
  1. Purchase an SD Media Launcher from Datel/Codejunkies. If you already have an SD card already (MUST NOT BE SDHC, maximum supported size is 4GB but only 2GB are easily findable nowadays), then purchase the bare package ($20). If you don't have an SD Card and unwilling to find one separately, you can get their deluxe package with a 2GB SD included ($40). SD Cards are typically cheaper on Amazon though. The quality of the SD Card doesn't matter; it's just for holding the DOLs. There is usually about 10 dollars extra for shipping. It should arrive in about 2 weeks.
  2. Format your SD card to be FAT32, otherwise your SD Media launcher will not be recognized.
  3. Make the ISO for SD Remix 3.1. Refer to the first post in this thread in the section labelled "Guide to ISO hacking for DVD Back-ups and Dolphin". You may also optionally replace the opening.bnr to give it a custom banner and it will not negatively affect the ability to play.
  4. Download gcos 1.5. I've uploaded a copy to this post (GCos 1.5.dol.zip). Put the .dol file onto the root of the SD card. (Note: I also tested it with SwissGC and have confirmed it works as well, so feel free to use that instead, if you wish to.)
  5. Burn a copy of the ISO onto a Mini DVD-R. This is a bit of a finicky thing, as not all discs you burn will work properly, due to a variety of factors, including luck. You can get a full rundown by clicking here. But, to give you the cliffnotes:
    • The recommended mini DVDs to use are the "Ritek G04 Mini DVD-R".
    • Your mileage may vary with the DVD burner you have. If you don't get a good burn from a disc, you may just have to try again. If you're burning a lot of coasters on a good set of DVD-R's, you may need to get a new burner. Sony and Lite-On tend to be recommended, and there are cheap $20 dollar internal Lite-On burners still available on Newegg and Amazon. Go with whatever has the highest rating on Newegg and you should be fine (probably, at least for me).
    • The recommended burning software is ImgBurn, mostly because it is free, but it is also reliable. You may use Nero, but I haven't tried it.
    • The recommended burn speed is 2x. This seems to get the best results.
  6. Once you have everything set up, go to your Gamecube, put the SD Card with the dol into the SD Media Launcher and the SD Media Launcher into the 2nd memory card slot (B). Put the Action Replay disc into the Gamecube. Boot up the Gamecube.
  7. Once the GCN has loaded the Action Replay disc, it should take you to a screen with the contents of your SD card displayed in a list, most importantly your GCos dol. [If this does not happen for you, make sure your SD Card is all the way into the SD Media Launcher, make sure it is NOT an SDHC card, and make sure it is formatted correctly. If the Action Replay disc is not recognized at all, your GCN is not compatible with the SD Media Launcher because it is either too old or has a worn out laser. You may need to get another GCN.]
  8. From the list of files, open GCos 1.5 by navigating with the control stick/d-pad and selecting with "A".
  9. It should eventually load up GCos 1.5. From the GCos menu, select "Boot Game".
  10. At the next screen, take out your Action Replay disc and put in your burned SD Remix 3.1 disc. Press "A" to continue. (If you get "Media Not Recognized" go back to Step 5 and try it again with a new disc. If doing the same thing keeps giving you coasters, try using a different way to burn your disc. If you STILL continue to have problems, your Gamecube may have laser issues. If you have friends with Gamecubes, try doing this with their cubes with some of the discs you've burned. If it's managing to work on their Gamecubes, you may have a laser that's not powerful enough to read the discs you've burned. It may or may not help to go down to 1x burn speed if your burner supports it. Otherwise, your laser may need to be cleaned or you'd have to adjust it's potentiometer, which involves opening up the Gamecube.)
  11. You'll come to a screen displaying the name of the game you've burned as well as other information. The best option from here is to use the "Auto-detected Region" option, so press A.
  12. Congrats! You are now playing SD Remix 3.1 on your Gamecube!
The nice thing about this is that you can potentially run a tournament with one SD Media Launcher, a bunch of burned discs, and just ask people to bring their Gamecubes.

Note, I have NOT managed to get this to work on my Wii. It may be because my Wii has Dios-Mios installed. I'm not sure though.

Attachments

Last edited:

sdremix_troubleshooter

Smash Journeyman
The changelist didn't mention this, but downsmash seems to have higher base knockback.
Taking a quick look at the PlLg.dat from SDR 3.1 and vMelee 1.2, it is actually the knockback growth that was modified. The KBG increased from 80 to 90 on both hits, on all hitboxes of Dsmash.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 have you figured out what gives moves momentum? I know certain specials have offsets that have a easily modifiable value, but I'm talking about normal attacks like dash attacks. if we can figure out how to give certain moves momentum boosts, I may help make the next edition of this

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know what we need? Support from big-name smashers like M2K or Mango or people like that. That's the advantage Project M has over this, but if we had bigger support, this would easily be as big.

Also, screw trying to play this on a GCN; it's far easier to play it on a Homebrew'd Wii, though finding an SD Card or USB drive to play it with can be frustrating.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 have you figured out what gives moves momentum? I know certain specials have offsets that have a easily modifiable value, but I'm talking about normal attacks like dash attacks. if we can figure out how to give certain moves momentum boosts, I may help make the next edition of this
I have not. Well, not really. I guess I could maybe try and figure something out by doing what I did to find that Ice Climbers offset, but for regular attacks.

This post about swapping animations says something about a byte that controls movement during a move. But idk exactly what that does and if you can add it to animations.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Is 3.1 new?When was it released? Haven't been here in a couple months.

_glook

Mario Overview:

Some things I've noticed:
Normal angled fsmash sourspot has +4 damage.
All fsmash sourspot base knockbacks have increased.
Drill knocks opponents away, so it actually seems to connect a little worse, though it seems like it's a little safer to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom