• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I changed the groundflag. But theres a corner under the ledge the prevents you from riding the wall to grab. Gonna try to fix is when I get off.
Yeah I figured each ground/platform has a flag indicating its type, but how did you find this (I really haven't done any stage hacking except for modifying battlefield's platforms heights)?

The edge lip and the blastzones and it will be playable.

DRGN

Technowizard
Oh snaps! That's awesome!

Oh cool. Are the textures simply remade at a higher res or are the textures simply remade at the same res.
Edit: Rereading my question I realize I didnt make my intent clear. I was wondering if any work had been done on making the texture sizes larger. Like for instance the bushes on Dreamland are 32x32 and wanted to know if someone had made them a bit higher.
Looking at steelia's amazing texture pack I can see the filesizes are the same so its not quite the same as amazing as it is.
I haven't looked into it very much, but I think this would be possible. The height and width attributes in the texture's header would have to be changed of course, but more importantly, the offsets in the rest of the file that point to various places would all need to be adjusted (increased) accordingly. (I believe it's ok if the file as a whole is larger to some extent, as long as the iso is rebuilt with GC Rebuilder, but that'll need confirmation from someone else.) The easiest way to start playing with this would be to find the smallest file with textures, to minimize the number of offsets that would need to be adjusted and minimize potential errors or other problems. In most files, there are a TON of these offsets. Luckily, they're actually listed in the dat/usd files near the end of the file, in a table called the Relocation Table, a.k.a. the Pointer Table. (Check out this post for more on these tables.) Unfortunately, there may be too many offsets to change manually, so a script might be required, even just for a proof of concept. But who knows, maybe there is a small file somewhere that doesn't have too many.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Thanks DRNG. The way I did it was similar except I took Steelia's tcs files and found the headers from those. In the image of dreamland I posted I made the bush
(this is the actual image the game blows up) whose size is 32x32 and replaced it with
which is 320x320.
Had to change the filesize though and rebuild the iso.

Also I fixed the lips on the lips on the trophy stage and made the center platform... an actual platform so you can drop through it. I'd post the link for others to try it out but apparently I need 10 post to do that.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Thanks DRNG. The way I did it was similar except I took Steelia's tcs files and found the headers from those. In the image of dreamland I posted I made the bush
(this is the actual image the game blows up) whose size is 32x32 and replaced it with
which is 320x320.

Also I fixed the lips on the lips on the trophy stage and made the center platform... an actual platform so you can drop through it. I'd post the link for others to try it out but apparently I need 10 post to do that.
Just post the link with a space in it and I'll fix it for you. Did you find out how to modify the blast zones?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Just post the link with a space in it and I'll fix it for you. Did you find out how to modify the blast zones?
Thanks. I didnt look into the blast zone and I still havent completely finished fixing the ledges. Theyre more unforgiving than BF but I think I know how to fix the lip so that its not a problem. Hopefully later today.
//a.pomf se/udmpaz.dat

While Im at it, would anyone be will to redraw the bush at higher
say 320x320. Im curious as to how it would look but have terrible graphic design skills.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
which is 320x320.

So you're saying you inserted the new image (i.e. shifted the contents of the rest of the file), not overwrote, and it didn't break the game? I figured then the rest of the offsets in the file would be pointing to the wrong places. Or does GC Rebuilder fix those? I must be missing something. lol

zankyou

Smash Lord
So you're saying you inserted the new image (i.e. shifted the contents of the rest of the file), not overwrote, and it didn't break the game? I figured then the rest of the offsets in the file would be pointing to the wrong places. Or does GC Rebuilder fix those? I must be missing something. lol
Lol dont worry, I was too lazy to shift all of the offsets in the relocation table and those offsets as well so I just added the image to the end of the file. I didnt even delete the old one. Pretty sure this would work for other things so for instance if I wanted to added more collisions to a stage I could just throw it at the end.
The problem with this method is that it makes the filesize larger than optimal which is one of the constraints since the iso can only be about 1.45gb.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Thanks. I didnt look into the blast zone and I still havent completely finished fixing the ledges. Theyre more unforgiving than BF but I think I know how to fix the lip so that its not a problem. Hopefully later today.
//a.pomf se/udmpaz.dat

While Im at it, would anyone be will to redraw the bush at higher
say 320x320. Im curious as to how it would look but have terrible graphic design skills.
I don't understand your link. I can't get it to bring me anywhere. Can you upload it to mediafire?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I managed to enlarge that white bubble that is toggleable in debug that's inside the character to 30x its normal size and I still can't figure out what it does.

I can also move it around with no effects. anyone have any guesses?

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Just tried the hacked stage. Very awesome!! Have you done stage hacking before? How do you know how to do this stuff? I'm very excited about it. Are you....the new stage hacking chosen one ??

Not sure if you noticed, but projectiles fired from left of the pink rings can go completely through, but projectiles fire from the right cannot.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Just tried the hacked stage. Very awesome!! Have you done stage hacking before? How do you know how to do this stuff? I'm very excited about it. Are you....the new stage hacking chosen one ??

Not sure if you noticed, but projectiles fired from left of the pink rings can go completely through, but projectiles fire from the right cannot.
I didn't notice that. Was it always like that or did I accidentally break it. Should be an easy fix though.

DRGN

Technowizard
I'm working on CSPs atm, and was frowning on the fact that the developers went with paletted images for these, simply for image quality concerns, with how it appears in-game. And I just now had a thought: what if we changed this? Relating to the talk a few posts above this on increasing the amount of image data for textures; if the space available for images could be increased by enough, then we could use full 8-bit RGBA images for CSPs! That would look amazing in-game.

zankyou

Smash Lord
I'm working on CSPs atm, and was frowning on the fact that the developers went with paletted images for these, simply for image quality concerns, with how it appears in-game. And I just now had a thought: what if we changed this? Relating to the talk a few posts above this on increasing the amount of image data for textures; if the space available for images could be increased by enough, then we could use full 8-bit RGBA images for CSPs! That would look amazing in-game.
I totally think its possible. It was one of my first thoughts. Its just I have no idea how the images work to create a proof of concept though. If someone were to create an image to replace it with though Id try it out.

DRGN

Technowizard
I totally think its possible. It was one of my first thoughts. Its just I have no idea how the images work to create a proof of concept though. If someone were to create an image to replace it with though Id try it out.
I could probably help. Let us know what you get stuck on or if you try what I described earlier.

As for a sample image, here's what I'm doing for Zelda-Sheik CSPs; you could use this for testing:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I could probably help. Let us know what you get stuck on or if you try what I described earlier.

As for a sample image, here's what I'm doing for Zelda-Sheik CSPs; you could use this for testing:
So I inserted your pic at the end and got

Then I changed the image format in the header and got

Added some padding to the end before the image and got

Replaced the palette data with 0s and got the same result. Ill experiment with it more later.

Edit: Pretty sure I know whats wrong. I would need to create a color node for RGBA images. I was planning on trying to add nodes later after I understood stages more but theres a few quick things I could try to get it to work. After the 15th ill have more time to play with it. For now anyone know where I can find a rgba image and its offset already in the game. I need to compare the two.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
So I inserted your pic at the end and got

Then I changed the image format in the header and got

Added some padding to the end before the image and got

Replaced the palette data with 0s and got the same result. Ill experiment with it more later.

Edit: Pretty sure I know whats wrong. I would need to create a color node for RGBA images. I was planning on trying to add nodes later after I understood stages more but theres a few quick things I could try to get it to work. After the 15th ill have more time to play with it. For now anyone know where I can find a rgba image and its offset already in the game. I need to compare the two.
Well, I have this:

It's type is _5 (RGB5A3), same as the Zelda-Sheik pic. It's at DD980 in EfCoData.dat. (It appears when a character smacks into a surface hard.) I don't know if its shape/deformity will make it hard to determine if your efforts work though.

Btw, I don't know if you used my script to convert the Zelda-Sheik image to TPL, but if you did, did you fix the file name before converting it? I noticed that photobucket appended stuff to the end of the name. It at least needs to end in the image type before the extension, "_5.png". I wonder if MediaFire preserves the exact name. I'll probably have to try switching to that instead at some point. >_>

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Well, I have this:

It's type is _5 (RGB5A3), same as the Zelda-Sheik pic. It's at DD980 in EfCoData.dat. (It appears when a character smacks into a surface hard.) I don't know if its shape/deformity will make it hard to determine if your efforts work though.

Btw, I don't know if you used my script to convert the Zelda-Sheik image to TPL, but if you did, did you fix the file name before converting it? I noticed that photobucket appended stuff to the end of the name. It at least needs to end in the image type before the extension, "_5.png". I wonder if MediaFire preserves the exact name. I'll probably have to try switching to that instead at some point. >_>
Oh I just read till I saw rgba and assumed it was _6 which complicated things a bit since there wasnt a node for that. Inserting _5 fixed it.

Thanks for helping me with an actual proof of concept. Dont forget higher res images work.

I really gotta spend the rest of the weekend working on senior seminar now but ill try to get the stages done some point during the weekend. Sorry if Im posting too much.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Ha! Awesome. It would be bad-ass to make the full game hi-res.

And I don't think you're posting too much. It's good stuff!

zankyou

Smash Lord
Ha! Awesome. It would be bad-*** to make the full game hi-res.

And I don't think you're posting too much. It's good stuff!
Yeah the only downside is that I think the iso has a max size of 1.45. Possible getting rid of the opening movie would add in room for a lot more.

zankyou

Smash Lord
So stage hacking is a lot harder than I thought it would be. However Milun seems to have had a way to do it by some magic to center everything before he moved them. Since he didnt document how he knew to do this, itll probably take a while.

Edit: Nvm.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord

I made this so much harder than it needed to be. Now to not fail my classes...

Edit: Forgot to add that I think I removed the flag that made the all star heal stage end when you run over a certain point. Its seems that if works on dolphin but not with dios mios. Not by a gc though so I cant test it thoroughly.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Is it possible to have two different movesets of the same character in the same match? Like replacing for example Kirby with SDR Pichu, so you could play Pichu and SDR Pichu together?

Achilles1515

Smash Master

I made this so much harder than it needed to be. Now to not fail my classes...

Edit: Forgot to add that I think I removed the flag that made the all star heal stage end when you run over a certain point. Its seems that if works on dolphin but not with dios mios. Not by a gc though so I cant test it thoroughly.
Dude....so amazing. I'm still interested to know how you know/figured out how to do this stuff....because like no one knows how to do stage hacking.

I know I said this before, but I'm really excited for these! I can't wait to get more competitively viable stages in the 20XX Pack.

I wrote a code to disable the all-star heal portal, btw. Not directly editing the stage file, but just disabling a function that must read that value.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Dude....so amazing. I'm still interested to know how you know/figured out how to do this stuff....because like no one knows how to do stage hacking.

I know I said this before, but I'm really excited for these! I can't wait to get more competitively viable stages in the 20XX Pack.

I wrote a code to disable the all-star heal portal, btw. Not directly editing the stage file, but just disabling a function that must read that value.
Between Milun's, Tcll, and Yaks/IEs documentation its all there. Also for me 20XX doesnt disable the heal with dios mios but it does with dolphin. I figured that the issue is similar to how theres no blue PS or alt red falcon with dios mios. Havent tried your code yet.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Between Milun's, Tcll, and Yaks/IEs documentation its all there. Also for me 20XX doesnt disable the heal with dios mios but it does with dolphin. I figured that the issue is similar to how theres no blue PS or alt red falcon with dios mios. Havent tried your code yet.
That code is not in the 20XX pack.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Its not pretty and I still need to figure out how to lower the camera, but its something. As far as the spawn points go I have no idea where they are in the file. Probably because theres only 1 in Roy's target stage and the position is 00000000 so I wouldnt recognize it. Maybe some on can right a code to give you a few seconds of invicibility on it until I figure out how to add objects without breaking the game. For now though anyone want to test it a bit.
http://a.pomf.se/nrsasi.dat

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Its not pretty and I still need to figure out how to lower the camera, but its something. As far as the spawn points go I have no idea where they are in the file. Probably because theres only 1 in Roy's target stage and the position is 00000000 so I wouldnt recognize it. Maybe some on can right a code to give you a few seconds of invicibility on it until I figure out how to add objects without breaking the game. For now though anyone want to test it a bit.
Awesome! Trying it out now. Are you getting a flickering effect with the textures when you zoom out a bit? I see it mainly on the characters and the front of the bottom platform.

As for the camera, I think it's a offset between the bounding boxes shown below:

Yellow is blast zone, which you probably already know. Normally it and the green box are aligned concentrically, as shown below:

I think the camera uses the blast zone line for the camera, so I'm not sure what the green is used for (some kind of stage object boundary?). If the green were for the camera and that was the problem, your camera would be aiming too high rather than too low. Or I suppose it actually IS for the camera, but it's not being taken into account for some reason.

And specifically, I notice that the aspect ratio of the inner green box is different than the blast zone. This misalignment might be causing the camera issue. I know that there are modifiers for the stage's size. Are these separated into width and height, and did you use it/those?

If we can find where those boundaries are defined, we might be able to modify it there (before the camera calculations check them). There is also another way to fix it, but it would be to use ASM to modify the camera's viewport per frame. This would work, but obviously be much more inefficient for the game than pinpointing the camera's own built-in variables.

zankyou

Smash Lord
Awesome! Trying it out now. Are you getting a flickering effect with the textures when you zoom out a bit? I see it mainly on the characters and the front of the bottom platform.

As for the camera, I think it's a offset between the bounding boxes shown below:

Yellow is blast zone, which you probably already know. Normally it and the green box are aligned concentrically, as shown below:

I think the camera uses the blast zone line for the camera, so I'm not sure what the green is used for (some kind of stage object boundary?). If the green were for the camera and that was the problem, your camera would be aiming too high rather than too low. Or I suppose it actually IS for the camera, but it's not being taken into account for some reason.

And specifically, I notice that the aspect ratio of the inner green box is different than the blast zone. This misalignment might be causing the camera issue. I know that there are modifiers for the stage's size. Are these separated into width and height, and did you use it/those?

If we can find where those boundaries are defined, we might be able to modify it there (before the camera calculations check them). There is also another way to fix it, but it would be to use ASM to modify the camera's viewport per frame. This would work, but obviously be much more inefficient for the game than pinpointing the camera's own built-in variables.
Oh wow I have no idea how youre viewing that. But yeah the camera was already weird to begin with I believe. I had to figure out which one was the blast zone and which on was the camera which I could have confused since I didnt test it much. I just tried to make the right match the left. I also changed some flags that I dont understand the effects of but seeing your images helped a lot.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Lol then thats weird. The heal portal doesnt end the game on Dolphin... I probably switched up the dats. Awesome work as always.
Spawn points in GrTFe.dat,

(Affects all players, though)
0x14bac - x position
0x14bb0 - y position

32-bit floating point numbers.

Capture.PNG

Idk if forcing different players to spawn in different locations on a target test stage would be a dat or dol mod.

Jorgasms posts offsets for changing spawn positions in the legal stages in this post. Maybe you could use this information to compare files and figure some stuff out.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Just poked around at some values...I could write a code to move a player wherever you want at the start of the match. So there's always that backup.

In the picture below, (decimal 60 = 0x42700000) was edited in the dat for the stage spawn x and y position (in my previous post as well). The first frame of the game that the characters appeared on-screen, I manually changed P1's horizontal position value using Debug Dolphin.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Where can I find Milun's, Tcll, and Yaks/IE's documentation on Stage hacking specifically? I'd love to jump on this bandwagon. Do you think you can do a tutorial video on stage hacking basics explaining what we know so far in the future perhaps?

zankyou

Smash Lord
Where can I find Milun's, Tcll, and Yaks/IE's documentation on Stage hacking specifically? I'd love to jump on this bandwagon. Do you think you can do a tutorial video on stage hacking basics explaining what we know so far in the future perhaps?
http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-stage-hacking-documentation-warning-not-user-friendly.328552/.
The problem is that they use different terms to describe the same thing so you have to go through it a lot.

Also, I increased the distance between the top blast zone and camera, but that didn't fix it. The information is in the groundparam node that I dont really understand. Luckily I just copied a few things from Dreamland's dat and it worked plus the camera and blast zone distance needed to be increased anyways so thanks for pointing that out.
Im not getting any flickering on the characters but the flickering on the bottom platform is because I stretched the platform itself.

Anyways heres the result

Sorry for the textures, I dont have control over the meshes so it doesnt look too good.

Edit: Found the dat that doesnt have the inserted image so that you needed to rebuild your iso.
http://a.pomf.se/dmatsp.dat

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Just poked around at some values...I could write a code to move a player wherever you want at the start of the match. So there's always that backup.

In the picture below, (decimal 60 = 0x42700000) was edited in the dat for the stage spawn x and y position (in my previous post as well). The first frame of the game that the characters appeared on-screen, I manually changed P1's horizontal position value using Debug Dolphin.
View attachment 32279
Nice. I'm kind of surprised that that moved the respawn platform too.
http://smashboards.com/threads/melee-stage-hacking-documentation-warning-not-user-friendly.328552/.
The problem is that they use different terms to describe the same thing so you have to go through it a lot.

Also, I increased the distance between the top blast zone and camera, but that didn't fix it. The information is in the groundparam node that I dont really understand. Luckily I just copied a few things from Dreamland's dat and it worked plus the camera and blast zone distance needed to be increased anyways so thanks for pointing that out.
Im not getting any flickering on the characters but the flickering on the bottom platform is because I stretched the platform itself.

Anyways heres the result

Sorry for the textures, I dont have control over the meshes so it doesnt look too good.
Camera positioning looks good.

Oh wow I have no idea how youre viewing that. But yeah the camera was already weird to begin with I believe. I had to figure out which one was the blast zone and which on was the camera which I could have confused since I didnt test it much. I just tried to make the right match the left. I also changed some flags that I dont understand the effects of but seeing your images helped a lot.
I'm using the Debug Mode already built into Melee. You just need some simple hacks to make it easily accessible. Look for "Debug Menu replaces Tournament Mode" here. Then you'll probably want to install this fantastic addition to accompany it (you may also want to set the default language used, which can also be found in the dol mod topic). After you've got that working, you can read up on how to use it here. Once you set DBLEVEL to DEVELOP, the entire game will be set to that mode, even after exiting the debug menu. After starting a match, you can find the controls to do a lot of useful things here.

Oh and the stage TSEAK might help for testing of basic stuff. It's super small and simple. Only one platform and pretty much nothing else (except 3 targets). Which I just realized might be super helpful for something else....

Edit:
Remember this?:
.... The easiest way to start playing with this would be to find the smallest file with textures, to minimize the number of offsets that would need to be adjusted and minimize potential errors or other problems. In most files, there are a TON of these offsets. Luckily, they're actually listed in the dat/usd files near the end of the file, in a table called the Relocation Table, a.k.a. the Pointer Table. (Check out this post for more on these tables.) Unfortunately, there may be too many offsets to change manually, so a script might be required, even just for a proof of concept. But who knows, maybe there is a small file somewhere that doesn't have too many.
Yeah.... There may be potential here if someone gets a chance to look into this.

If only I didn't have to sleep and work. XD

Last edited:

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942

Top Bottom