• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Is it possible to load adventure mode stages in multiplayer? I think some of these stages would be great competitive stages.

Some examples:

It would probably require hacking the stage files. If you have the game load those stages in multiplayer, as soon as you hit one of those locations where "events" occur, the game freezes. Last I checked.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Uhhh the DK animations....where u get dat?
The roll is from his forward double-jump animation. Funny how many times he rolls in his movements, yet couldn't give him his most iconic move till Smash 4.
The upsmash is from his item up-throw animation. Made to resemble the sick uppercut he dealt Kaptain K. Rool in DKC2.

Plz release the melee hq textures!
Done... :upsidedown:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
The roll is from his forward double-jump animation. Funny how many times he rolls in his movements, yet couldn't give him his most iconic move till Smash 4.
The upsmash is from his item up-throw animation. Made to resemble the sick uppercut he dealt Kaptain K. Rool in DKC2.

Done... :upsidedown:
That's creative using a double jump animation. It looks so good. Glad to see you back and interested!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Do you know where dash attack speed(or Movement distance?) is written? (or ganon's downB speed,ganon's sideB speed, etc...)
I just trying to find something related to dash attack and now I just have a huge headache.

You know about this page, right? Floating Points (Melee)
There you go, hopefully :p I'm only as good as most of the guides that exist. Lately, I've been trying to find the values that cause characters to heal or reflect projectiles, but haven't had any luck. The only one I know is cc 00 00 ## (self damage).

101pie101

Smash Cadet
Alright, I'll write up a guide. I'll try to make it so that it assumes as little hacking or computer knowledge as possible, so it might sound a bit juvenile, but bear with me.

Opening Movie Hacking For Dummies

Tools you'll need:
FFmpeg
- For exporting your video as a series of .jpg files. If you're on Windows, you can get everything that you'll need from here: Download. Note that this will only work for videos that use an MPEG codec (these will almost always end in .mp4, .mpg, or .mpeg).
You can also use VirtualDub if you're familiar with how to work it, but I'm not, so I can't say much about it. It's probably easier to work with if you don't like using the command line, so if that section of the guide seems daunting, go ahead and fiddle with VirtualDub to see if you can't find out how to use it.

Irfanview - To resize and/or rename each of the .jpg files that you'll create.

mth_make.exe - Provided by GodFed, this turns your series of .jpg files into the exact file you need to replace in your ISO, with no work from you. Massive thanks to him.

THPConv.exe - It comes from the Wii SDK.

These are all that you need to actually create your movie file. But to put your file into the game, you'll want these tools:

GC Rebuilder - To rebuild your ISO after replacing the opening movie file.

GC-Tool - To extract the contents of your ISO to your computer, so you can manually replace the files.

You might be able to do all of this with just one of these, but I found it easier to use both of them together, so it's up to you.

Before you start
Big reminder: Movie files do not have audio associated with them. To add in the audio from your video to the opening theme, you'll need to extract that audio somehow and hack it in separately. The file you want to replace is in audio/opening.hps. You can follow the other guides for how to do that.

Somewhere on your computer, make a new folder to store all of your work. Having a nicely-organized environment is going to make this about ten times easier, so be sure to keep everything tidy. Additionally, you'll want to keep backups of everything you're using in case something goes wrong. From here, go ahead and download everything I linked above and put them in that folder somewhere. But other than that, just make sure you have a video file, preferably using the MPEG codec, put it into your working folder, and you're good to go!

1) Extracting the video frames
If you used the link above to download FFmpeg, extract the contents of it and find ffmpeg.exe inside. Remember where this file is in relation to your working folder. For example, maybe it's MovieHacking\ffmpeg-0.5\ffmpeg.exe, where MovieHacking is your working folder. In that case, just write down "ffmpeg-0.5\ffmpeg.exe" somewhere. Now make sure your video is in your working folder itself, not in any sub-folders. Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd on XP, Start > type "cmd" into the search bar on Vista/7). You should start in C:\Users\YourUserName. Navigate to your working directory from here. Type "cd foldername" without the quotes to go into a folder from where you're currently at, and type "cd .." to go up one level. For example, from C:\Users\YourUserName to just C:\Users. Just find your working directory so that it says something like this:

C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents\MovieHacking

Now this part is a little bit tricky. Remember what you wrote down earlier, about where ffmpeg.exe was? Type that, in between quotes, followed by the phrase -i movie.mp4 %d.jpg, where "movie.mp4" is the name of your video file. So your command prompt should look something like this:

C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents\MovieHacking>"ffmpeg-0.5\ffmpeg.exe" -i movie.mp4 %d.jpg

Hit Enter. This will make a series of .jpg files in your folder numbered starting from 1, up until the last frame of your video. Go ahead and make a new folder here, call it "jpgs" or something, and move all of those .jpg files into that folder. There, now the toughest part is done. You don't have to do anything else on the command line, so pat yourself on the back!

2)Copying and resizing to fit
Now here's where you're going to have to make a judgment call. At a certain point in the opening movie, the game plays the movie at double speed. For a 720p .mp4 file downloaded from YouTube, this occurs approximately between frames 1250 and 1650. To compensate for this, you can go into your folder of jpgs, highlight everything from 1250.jpg to 1450.jpg (NOT 1650), and copy/paste them right again in that folder. Windows will automatically create copies of these files called 1250 - Copy.jpg, etc. From here, you're good. However, if your video has a vastly different frame rate, it will play at a different speed than what you expect, either slower or faster depending on whether the original frame rate was slower or faster. You can still copy frames 1250 to 1450, which will keep this odd speed constant throughout the opening video, but it's something to be aware of.

Now fire up Irfanview. Go to File > Batch Conversion/Rename. In the top left of this new window, you'll see a box labeled "Work as:", with three options. Pick the last one: "Batch conversion - Rename result files". Now in the top-right, where you see your familiar folder structure, go into the folder where you put all those jpgs, so that the files inside are 1.jpg, 2.jpg, etc. At the bottom, hit the button "Add all". You probably see them in an order you don't want: 1.jpg, 10.jpg, 100.jpg, etc. Don't worry! This is normal and expected. Hit "Sort files" and pick "by Name (ascending, XP style)". It's the second option. Now they should be correct.

Over on the left, in the box labeled "Batch conversion settings:", check to make sure that "Output format" is set as "JPG - JPG/JPEG Format". Check the box below it that says "Use advanced options (for bulk resize...)" and hit the Advanced button next to it.

In this new dialog box that pops up, place a checkmark in the box labeled "RESIZE:". In here, select "Set new size:", "Set one or both sides to:", and "pixels". Here's the important part. The video format used by Melee only allows videos up to 672 pixels wide, and both the width and height must be divisible by 16. Additionally, I've found that with a width greater than 640, the display screws up and doesn't work properly. So go ahead and set your width to 640. Now go to google and type in "(h / w) * 640", where h and w are the height and width of your original video, respectively. Take the result and find the closest multiple of 16--it should be less than 640 in almost all circumstances, since videos tend to be wider than they are tall. Anyway, plug that value into the "height" box in Irfanview. You don't need to mess with anything else in here, so hit OK at the bottom-right.

Back in the Batch conversion window, Towards the bottom-left you'll see a box labeled "Name pattern:". Just type four # signs into it, overwriting whatever is already there. Immediately below that, click "Browse" and select the directory to put these resized pictures in. Since you don't want to overwrite your originals in case something goes wrong, I created another folder called "resized" and had it put them there. Double check to make sure all of these settings are correct, then hit "Start Batch" and wait a while. Once it's done, go check out your new pictures and make sure they look okay. They should now be named "0001.jpg", "0002.jpg", etc. This is necessary for the next step.

3) Making the MTH file
From here on is smooth sailing. Copy THPConv.exe and mth_make.exe to the folder containing your resized jpgs. Go in that folder and just double-click mth_make.exe. You'll get a command prompt that goes through all the .jpgs and makes your shiny new .mth file. However, you might get an error. It may say something about "Maximum supported is 672 dots in a line." That means your width is greater than 672, so go back into Irfanview and resize again. Good thing you didn't resize over your backups, huh? If it says "X resolution is not divisible by 16", then your width isn't a multiple of 16, and if it says the same thing for Y, then it means your height isn't a multiple of 16. In both cases, go back and resize, being careful to make sure all of these requirements are met.

But if it doesn't give you any errors, congrats! Your .mth file is done and ready to replace back into Melee. It'll be called temp.mth. Go ahead and copy this out somewhere so you don't lose it.

4) Replacing MvOpen.mth
You might as well go ahead and rename your new .mth file "MvOpen.mth", since you'd need to do that later anyway. So now that you've got your file, you need to know what to do with it. You'll want to take your ISO and extract its contents, since you won't really be able to replace it the way you can replace texture or audio files. So open up GC-Tool and go to File > Open GC-Iso. Navigate to the folder your iso is in. If you don't see it, at the bottom of the window, change "Files of type" to "All files" and it'll be there. Open it. Now go to Extract > whole ISO. Click the "Choose Dir" button and find a nice place to put all of this, then check the box labeled "Also Extract Header, AppLoader, DOL and TOC", and hit Extract. This could take a very long time and the program may seem like it's frozen, but don't worry, just give it a while and it'll finish. You're done in GC-Tool now, so go ahead and close it down.

Back in your normal Windows environment, navigate to where you extracted your ISO and you'll see a new folder named "root". If you go inside, you'll see the same files that you saw in GC-Tool. Find MvOpen.mth and copy it back out to somewhere safe, this is the original that you're going to use as your backup if something goes horribly wrong. Now, take your -new- MvOpen.mth and copy it back into this folder. Windows should ask you if you want to overwrite the MvOpen.mth that's already there. And since you backed it up (you DID back it up, right?), go ahead and do so.

Now, open GCRebuilder. At the top, click Root > Open. Find the root folder you were in earlier and hit OK. Now go back and hit Root > Save, name it whatever you want and save it either as a .iso or .gcm. I use .iso since I have the disk space. Now go back into Root and you'll see the Rebuild button is available. Click it and wait for GCRebuilder to work its magic. When it's done, you'll have a new image, hopefully playable on Dolphin and your Wii! I never did get an error in this step, so hopefully you won't have any problems. But one thing that I could see being an issue is the files being too big to make an ISO. That means your new movie file is bigger than the one you replaced, to the point where your data doesn't actually fit in the size restraints imposed on the image. SleepyK's ISO rebuilding tutorial videos can help you get around this; watch them here and here.

But if you don't get any errors, you should be good. For reference, my ISO is 1,425,760KB in size according to Windows, as is the case with the original ISO I used, provided by SleepyK. If yours matches in size, test it out on Dolphin and your Wii, and if it works, congrats! If not, try it anyway and maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. I don't even know if it's possible to make something of another size, so hey, maybe it isn't. But after this, you'll probably still want to hack in your audio, so go check out another guide for how to edit and replace opening.hps!

oh god something went wrong what do i do
First of all, don't panic! You have backups for a reason. In the absolute worst case, you just purge your working folder and forget all of this ever happened, because everything is backed up however it was before you started working on it, somewhere else.

If your ISO isn't booting in Dolphin or is just incredibly messed up, just go and put the old MvOpen.mth back in. Test it again to make sure that it's been fixed, and retry creating the MTH file. If that doesn't fix it, copy your original ISO into your working folder again, over top of the one you've been working with, and make sure that works with Dolphin before restarting. If you ever make any updates, just keep backups of the old stuff so you can replace them if something goes wrong. The bottom line here is: keep backups of everything. If you do this, absolutely no error is irreparable. Just keep calm, and start working backward to find out where the error occurred.

Anyway, that should do it. Using this method I successfully replaced the Melee opening with the opening to Blazblue: Continuum Shift. You can download the .mth and .hps files I used for that here: Download

Those familiar with that opening will notice that it goes out of sync with the audio as the video goes on. This is due to the frame rate issue I mentioned earlier. The original video I had did not perfectly match the frame rate at which the .mth file plays, so by exporting every frame as a .jpg, the movie plays at a slightly-incorrect speed, but it's still easily close enough that I'm okay with it. Also, the audio loops again once you reach the start screen for a reason I'm not entirely sure of, but I think that sounds cooler anyway so I never tried to fix it.
Great guide! I will try this!

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how the graphic ID's in a subaction's script is associated with a particular graphic?

To elaborate on my question, this is what the graphic command format is according to an older post on this thread. You would see it listed as such if you pull it up in masterhand.

CCBB----TTTT----ZZZZYYYYXXXXZRZRYRYRXRXR

CC: Command
BB: bone attached
TT: Graphic ID
ZZ: Z-axis
YY: Y-axis
XX: X-axis
ZR: Z-rotation
YR: Y-rotation
XR: X-rotation

Now the question I have is about this TTTT. Does anyone know anyway to track this? I would assume TTTT = 0000 would be the first file listed in the .dat, but based on DRGN's recent spreadsheet I'm not sure if that's true. Before I investigate further I thought I'd ask if anyone else knows more about this topic.

Usually the command (CC) is 28, but it's sometimes 29. I'm not sure of the significance of this, but perhaps 28 pulls from the EfCoData.dat while 29 pulls from the character-specific effect file.

Also some graphic effects show up that are not listed in the normal script (ex. FireFox) and it would be easier to find where it is if it could be identified what the graphic ID should be. It likely coded in PlFx.dat just the same.

My ultimate goal is to replace or preferably add new texture files and implement them via these commands, just fyi.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Does anyone know how the graphic ID's in a subaction's script is associated with a particular graphic?

To elaborate on my question, this is what the graphic command format is according to an older post on this thread. You would see it listed as such if you pull it up in masterhand.

CCBB----TTTT----ZZZZYYYYXXXXZRZRYRYRXRXR

CC: Command
BB: bone attached
TT: Graphic ID
ZZ: Z-axis
YY: Y-axis
XX: X-axis
ZR: Z-rotation
YR: Y-rotation
XR: X-rotation

Now the question I have is about this TTTT. Does anyone know anyway to track this? I would assume TTTT = 0000 would be the first file listed in the .dat, but based on DRGN's recent spreadsheet I'm not sure if that's true. Before I investigate further I thought I'd ask if anyone else knows more about this topic.

Usually the command (CC) is 28, but it's sometimes 29. I'm not sure of the significance of this, but perhaps 28 pulls from the EfCoData.dat while 29 pulls from the character-specific effect file.

Also some graphic effects show up that are not listed in the normal script (ex. FireFox) and it would be easier to find where it is if it could be identified what the graphic ID should be. It likely coded in PlFx.dat just the same.

My ultimate goal is to replace or preferably add new texture files and implement them via these commands, just fyi.
@ Itaru Itaru mentions this commmand in his "programs" syntax post. Although, nothing really more than what was already documented I guess.

I'm sure you've already been messing with the IDs and have already seen these posts, but Itaru and I documented some of these ID's a few posts down and I tell of how to change this value midgame using Debug Dolphin to easily test values.

As for tracking them...idk. Do you only mean how to understand what an ID means in reference to a placement in a file?

Also, I would manually check the firefox script to see if there is a DCXXXXXX... command in it, which also houses graphic ID's to be shown on screen. I think last time I used Master Hand, I realized it doesn't recognize this command, but Itaru shed some light on it in his thread.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Yeah I mean what an ID means in reference to placement in a file.

Some of that was helpful. I actually didn't know about the DC command. It's in the SpecialHiLanding Script. There is a 99 command which is undocumented and it actually might be for multiple graphic effects (how they get the fire effects surrounding him like that. It's a pretty long command by the looks of it.

Anyway that doesn't completely answer my question, but it was helpful.

DRGN

Technowizard
Note that I didn't find and document every texture in EfCoData. So there are probably textures earlier in the file than the first one that I have listed at 18D60. You may or may not already know that, but I wanted to point it out just in case.

You might try looking at the Data Relocation Table to figure out the location of the first texture.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I don't know if there's an easy way to do it from a hex editor, but this might work for you: Finding out your Melee revision for sure

I've used that method, so I know it works.
It doesn't have to be easy. I'm just looking for some sort of difference between the isos that doesn't get changed when modding. Like a specific offset that would have a different value for each version, maybe integral to game function (so it wouldn't be different no matter how modded your iso is). I would find one myself, but I only have 1.02 and PAL, and beyond that don't know what wouldn't change during modding.

That way doesn't work for what I want because it doesn't work with modded isos, unfortunately.

DRGN

Technowizard
It doesn't have to be easy. I'm just looking for some sort of difference between the isos that doesn't get changed when modding. Like a specific offset that would have a different value for each version, maybe integral to game function (so it wouldn't be different no matter how modded your iso is). I would find one myself, but I only have 1.02 and PAL, and beyond that don't know what wouldn't change during modding.

That way doesn't work for what I want because it doesn't work with modded isos, unfortunately.
Oh, I see. In that case you might try WinMerge.

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord

Opening the iso in GCRebuilder and looking at the date.

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
Is there any tutorial on editing the backgrounds of melee stages? If not, I would like to request someone to do it for me.

I would like to play Melee on netplay, and I can run battlefield on dolphin at 95%, FD at 90% all the other stages are above 80% except fountain of dreams, which runs at 60%. What I would like is for somone to edit the background of ALL the legal stages and just make it a solid color or make it transparent so that I can actually play on the stages at 100%.

For Project M, using brawl box, I was able to make all the stage backgrounds transparent and the game ran 100% smoothly (even fountain of dreams), so I know the same would happen for melee, but I just don't know how to edit melee stages. I tried following some other tutorials, but I got completely lost

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me!

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
I can run battlefield on dolphin at 95%, FD at 90% all the other stages are above 80% except fountain of dreams, which runs at 60%.
The reason Fountain of Dreams lags (even on a real console) is the reflective water texture. I don't know how to remove it, but I really want to just as much as people want to play on a lagless FoD.

I've been messing with FoD and mainly with trial and error the most I've been able to do is untexture all the stars in the background of the stage.
http://twitter.com/Myougi_SSBM/status/533857086069686272/photo/1

Last edited:

Wooggle

Smash Apprentice
Myougi said:
I've been messing with FoD and mainly with trial and error the most I've been able to do is untexture all the stars in the background of the stage.
http://twitter.com/Myougi_SSBM/status/533857086069686272/photo/1
From what I have done in Brawl Box with project m, I was able to go from 60% to 100% just by replacing some of the textures with a transparent texture that I took from some other stage. I actually didn't have to even replace the water texture. This is what it looks like:

-download link- for the .pac file (Version 3.0, not 3.5)

I removed the main background features and the bottom of the stage.

I think you would be able to create a lagless fountain of dreams just by doing what I did, but in Melee.
If you are working on this, could you please also do it for the other tournament legal stages, because it would help ensure that there is no lag at all for me, and i'm sure it would help out other people too.

Edit: Could you tell me what you use to edit the stages so I could try it out myself, because I haven't been able to find a guide to stage editing

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
From what I have done in Brawl Box with project m, I was able to go from 60% to 100% just by replacing some of the textures with a transparent texture that I took from some other stage. I actually didn't have to even replace the water texture. This is what it looks like:
[clip]

I removed the main background features and the bottom of the stage.

I think you would be able to create a lagless fountain of dreams just by doing what I did, but in Melee.
If you are working on this, could you please also do it for the other tournament legal stages, because it would help ensure that there is no lag at all for me, and i'm sure it would help out other people too.

Edit: Could you tell me what you use to edit the stages so I could try it out myself, because I haven't been able to find a guide to stage editing
Project M's water doesn't have a reflection texture at all so removing the water texture in PM wouldn't have made much of a difference. In Project M, the stage fakes a reflection by copying and inverting the objects on top of the stage vertically and placing them under the stage so it seems as though they reflect. You can see this by zooming close into the stage.

Removing the textures of the main base of FoD is a bad idea. Not only does it look terrible, it also effects Gameplay. Sure the collision for the stage is technically still there, but characters like Mario who get a lot of mileage out of using the stage as an aid for recovery are practically screwed over since they can't see the stage. This attributes to both Melee and PM.

I'm not sure you are aware, but Melee stage hacking is much more complicated than Brawl stage hacking, even if some brawl stages are 'copies' of Melee ones. Not only are the files are in a completely different format, tools like BrawlBox simply don't exist for Melee. As for what I'm using to do stage editing, I'm just using Dolphin's debug mode and HxD. I don't know for certain if FoD uses a texture to cause the reflection or just a line of code. I'm kind of thinking the latter, but I dunno. I need a stage hacking guide. The only person I can think of off the top of my head who can do stage hacking is @Milun, and iirc he doesn't mess with Melee much anymore.

Edit: I sent these to you but I might as well post them here. I dumped a bunch of textures from FoD and here are some of interest.

GALE01_61c80645_9 - Animated water texture that expands and looses opacity

GALE01_f216b54e_14 - Super small solid pink texture, maybe used for reflection?

I'm going to figure out a way to mess with these and see if replacing the second removes the reflection effect. I don't have my hopes up but you never know. If it works I'll probably take out the animated water texture as well and some extra things.

Edit Edit:
Steelia I wuv you. You did like all the work and got all the textures ripped.
I'm going to mess with these tonight. :D
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9wl7f94g76f3exq/GrIz.rar

Edit Edit Edit:
Is this the texture? 38FountainW aka GALE01_8cef3b2f_1

Bwaaah why is this so complicated Mashpotato Samurai? :substitute:

Edit Edit Edit Edit:
Okay, replacing that texture seems to do absolutely nothing.

Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit:
Something I never knew. The reflection layer has like 'priority' over other textures.
http://i.imgur.com/9oCUq7T.png
I'm so lost atm

Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit:

Goodish news...
I think I found it after messing with it a ton. I recolored a bunch of textures and I think I hit it (Look at the water, it's grey now rather than blue). Now I just need to do some dirty work in HxD. offset 0001a420-0022440

notes for me for later:

I'm going to set this aside for awhile. I have no idea what to do at this point. If anyone can figure something out that would be great.

One last thing sorta on a whim...
Does anyone have the 54.tpl 55.tpl files for GrIz.dat or know how to get them?

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Has anyone looked into making textures higher res in melee? I was playing with a proof of concept but the original textures are so small that I cant upscale them properly.
edit: adding terrible proof of concept

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Oh cool. Are the textures simply remade at a higher res or are the textures simply remade at the same res.
Edit: Rereading my question I realize I didnt make my intent clear. I was wondering if any work had been done on making the texture sizes larger. Like for instance the bushes on Dreamland are 32x32 and wanted to know if someone had made them a bit higher.
Looking at steelia's amazing texture pack I can see the filesizes are the same so its not quite the same as amazing as it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom