• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Megaman mains, we should make Megaman top tier!

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
So herethere is many people dedicated to Megaman and after seeing how Pikachu grew so fast, I think we can make Megaman top tier! So theidea of this thread is stressing Megaman strengths amd weaknesses, I personally think Megaman best tool is his Metal Blade, and after that his pellet spacing, and that Megamans most useless attack is dsmash for horrible lag and almost no horizontal range, also his leafshield is very situational, so I keep pellet spam and Metal Blade as a versitile item, and use leafshield as a counter projectile when coming back to the stage and never use dsmash, so qhat do u think are Megaman's pros and cons? I surely think of we work together we will see him on top tiers

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Woah, wall of text. Space it out man, it's hard enough to understand as it is with the grammar and misspells.

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
Metal blade is definitely his best tool. Short hop.nairs are also very usuful. One thing I don't see a lot of megamans use is CB. Yes it's a timed detonation, but the amount t of pressure it puts on an opponent is absolutely wonderful. It sets up for a.lot of grabs, or even a way to close in on an opponent who is rolling a lot.

D smash isn't terrible, in fact, I use it quite often against characters who roll a lot. Megamans DICIT is a wonderful tool and leads to many options when used correctly, dtilt, utilt, u smash, d smash, grab, or just a way to close the gap and lemon them.off stage.

He has pretty quick.aerials and a really good Dair, when used for meteor spiking. Leaf shield can be used to gimp on the edge and will actually go through any projectile. (Be careful of fully charged projectiles as those go through it too and will likely put the hurt on you.)

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Yeah, I think we havent used crash bomb enough, also many people ignores the fact that thrown leafshield is the best projectile while offstage if ur opponent isnt attacking you offstage and he/she stays on the stage

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I don't know if Mega Man will be truly top tier, but he's not gonna be horrible or low tier anytime soon. He has incredible spacing abilities and some of his attacks, like Crash Bomber, are a great shield pressure tool. The Metal Blade is one of his best moves, since you can do a lot of neat tricks with it, like Z-Air. The Leaf Shield is actually pretty good when assisting Mega Man's grab game because of his slow pummel, and it can gimp recoveries. He also has a good recovery with incredible vertical height and a wall jump to boot. His Smash attacks, while laggy, are incredibly strong.

What keeps Mega Man from being high or top tier in my mind is his subpar neutral game and he can be easily punishable with some of his moves, like his U-Tilt and D-Smash, due to amount of ending lag those moves have. Still, Mega Man can be a threat, and not one to be taken lightly. He's awesome if you ask me. :D

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Mega Man has a great neutral game. He has trouble securing kills though. Characters above him on tier lists all are much better at KOing than Mega Man.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
One thing that always works for me is baiting an airdodge while of stage or an smash atack on stage after I jump once and thhen jumpcagain and bair, also leaving the bthrow for very late percent, one tip Ill like to suggest doing for approaching is fair>dtilt it actually combos if fair hits, also if you correctly bair while short hopping you should get enought time to shield! Lets share our secrets to make all of our megammen better!!

VeggieSteel

Smash Cadet
NNID
VeggieSteel
CopShowGuy has it right. Megaman is very strong in neutral, but has to commit hard to almost all his kill options. You need to be very willing to keep adding on chip damage and fight the urge to fish for a kill, as you'll get punished hard.

I'd like to see more Megaman players make use of z-drop arial catch, I think that attacking while keeping the blade in hand opens up a lot of options. In particular, short hop --> z drop --> Nair catch allows you to keep up pellet pressure without losing the blade. It's something I've been working on, and I think it will be a staple of the meta for Megaman in the future.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
You know? What I think we should work in is in megaman combos percentages, like at 0 best combo would be dthrow to fair and if possible dtilt or uair, or also ftilt>nair>jablock>uptilt it is easier to land that on tall characters and it does about 30%, but from there on I dont know what other things will combo, maybe fair to dtilt until 40/50%+?

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
0%
-Uthrow>uair or short hopped nair>usmash(it seems that after they airdodge the uair (or baited nair) you can punish landing lag with usmash)
-Uthrow>nair (not sure if true combo, it seems that you can keep your opponent in the air by looking where theyll land)
-Dthrow>Fair 13% (can follow up with a Dtilt or Uair)
-Ftilt>Nair>Lemon lock>Utilt about 30% (not sure if your opponent cant tech after the nair)
20%
-uthrow>nair (same as above)
-Dthrow>Fair (can follow up with pellets
-upthrow>uair>pellets(if they avoid the uair theyll get hit by pellets)
30%
-uthrow>nair(same as above)
-dthrow>fair>nair
-dtilt>usmash(seems to work if opponent airdodges,may follow up with an nair)
40%
-dthrow>fair
-uthrow>if sh uair is dodged then you may be able to follow their DI and grab and repeat if they fall straight down after airdodging you may use usmash
-uthrow>nair
-dtilt>uair(if dodged you can go for a grab but I think it can be doublejumped)
-dthrow>doublejump nair (seems to be a combo)
50%
Dthrow>doublejump fair or nair
Sticking MB Down hiting ur opponent with it>Fthrow>Taking and throwing the mb forward(seems to be a combo)
Fair>dtilt(if fair connects)
Uthrow>uair(if dodged)>usmash (seems to connect)
****skipped from 50% to 100%****
100%
Dthrow>Double Jump Nair
Uthrow>Rush Coil>Follow DI and throw Uair
!!!All this was tested on my 3ds in practice against Mario, it seems uthrow>nair is very constant; the extra knockback is useful.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i use leaf shield and down smash alot more than usual megaman. i mean i know my setups and timings.

for leaf shield: I down throw grab, flame sword, then pellet on the air. see my opponent land on stage, then down throw grab, either pellet or flame sword based on opp's DI, and by this time, my opponent is outside the stage, trying to recover, so I retreat back and pull up leaf shield and throw it.

after that combo, i get like 40-50%. and this time. i'm reading what i have to do next. i usually shield, cuz megaman is in an awkward space.

For down smash: i space out my opp's with spaced lemons at the ledge. and try to bait them to roll into me by walking toward them. almost always they roll into me when they're at the ledge, then i walk a little bit back and i down smash. it's pretty satisfying getting this done.

the more i play megaman, the more i think his meta revolves around how you space your opp with projectiles, and how you space your stage prescence.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Well, the second grabd isnt secured actually, and doing dsmash at ledge can lead your opponemt to a hard punish, it is better overaĺl to do dtilt

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
0%
-Uthrow>uair or short hopped nair>usmash(it seems that after they airdodge the uair (or baited nair) you can punish landing lag with usmash)
-Uthrow>nair (not sure if true combo, it seems that you can keep your opponent in the air by looking where theyll land)
-Dthrow>Fair 13% (can follow up with a Dtilt or Uair)
-Ftilt>Nair>Lemon lock>Utilt about 30% (not sure if your opponent cant tech after the nair)
20%
-uthrow>nair (same as above)
-Dthrow>Fair (can follow up with pellets
-upthrow>uair>pellets(if they avoid the uair theyll get hit by pellets)
30%
-uthrow>nair(same as above)
-dthrow>fair>nair
-dtilt>usmash(seems to work if opponent airdodges,may follow up with an nair)
40%
-dthrow>fair
-uthrow>if sh uair is dodged then you may be able to follow their DI and grab and repeat if they fall straight down after airdodging you may use usmash
-uthrow>nair
-dtilt>uair(if dodged you can go for a grab but I think it can be doublejumped)
-dthrow>doublejump nair (seems to be a combo)
50%
Dthrow>doublejump fair or nair
Sticking MB Down hiting ur opponent with it>Fthrow>Taking and throwing the mb forward(seems to be a combo)
Fair>dtilt(if fair connects)
Uthrow>uair(if dodged)>usmash (seems to connect)
****skipped from 50% to 100%****
100%
Dthrow>Double Jump Nair
Uthrow>Rush Coil>Follow DI and throw Uair
!!!All this was tested on my 3ds in practice against Mario, it seems uthrow>nair is very constant; the extra knockback is useful.
DI is a thing.

His follow-ups can be strong because of disjoint, but pushing your advantage too far will kill you. His disadvantage is bad as he gets combo'd hard.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
DI is a thing.

His follow-ups can be strong because of disjoint, but pushing your advantage too far will kill you. His disadvantage is bad as he gets combo'd hard.
Could you please explain me what are you talking about? The comboes (or follow ups) I posted are wrong?

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Well, the second grabd isnt secured actually, and doing dsmash at ledge can lead your opponemt to a hard punish, it is better overaĺl to do dtilt
yep the second grab isn't confirmed. so after the first grab, you leaf shield into the stage, and depending how much knockback your opp has, you either go for grab with leaf shield around you, or throw the leaf shield to get stage control. and yea the down smash has a risk. you pretty much have to read your opp's habits and condition them. it's almost like predicting a down smash. there's risks, but the rewards are great

Greward

Smash Lord
Dthrow bair works best for me when I can do it. You can usually get 2 bairs and an edgeguard chance, but it doesn't work very well in most of the cast. (floaty midweights works best imo). Sometimes I just go for Bthrow at low % and try to follow it up with Bair. Bthrow at low % can force a tech chase on a platform which is pretty cool.

Falling up air is a super rewarding option for Mega. Getting one up air when landing comboes into another up air and does around 40% (20% each), which is a lot specially for Mega since he has a low damage output. Landing an up air on shield is punishable in front of them, if you land in their back it should be way harder to punish if possible. Jumping out of shield to nair and the likes makes them vulnerable to the tornado.

Mega has a lot of potential in jab locks. Tossed MB at ~80%, dash attack at low percents or nair punch out of ledge can set up easily for a pellet lock. It requires them to not tech though.

Mega becoming top tier is more up to the balance team than the players though. I think Mega needs some buff in his smash attacks, all of them are pretty underpowered. A stronger killing throw would be nice but maybe a bit too good, although ROB and Olimar have them and they are similar characters (neutral-keepaway heavy). A lot of characters are in a worse spot than Mega though.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Dthrow bair works best for me when I can do it. You can usually get 2 bairs and an edgeguard chance, but it doesn't work very well in most of the cast. (floaty midweights works best imo). Sometimes I just go for Bthrow at low % and try to follow it up with Bair. Bthrow at low % can force a tech chase on a platform which is pretty cool.

Falling up air is a super rewarding option for Mega. Getting one up air when landing comboes into another up air and does around 40% (20% each), which is a lot specially for Mega since he has a low damage output. Landing an up air on shield is punishable in front of them, if you land in their back it should be way harder to punish if possible. Jumping out of shield to nair and the likes makes them vulnerable to the tornado.

Mega has a lot of potential in jab locks. Tossed MB at ~80%, dash attack at low percents or nair punch out of ledge can set up easily for a pellet lock. It requires them to not tech though.

Mega becoming top tier is more up to the balance team than the players though. I think Mega needs some buff in his smash attacks, all of them are pretty underpowered. A stronger killing throw would be nice but maybe a bit too good, although ROB and Olimar have them and they are similar characters (neutral-keepaway heavy). A lot of characters are in a worse spot than Mega though.
Do you have any video showcasing how to do the upair thingy?

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
OP, to make Mega Man top tier, you must preach it, believe it, and fight for it. I do personally believe that Mega Man has marks to be one of the best characters, but since he controls rather unorthodox for a Smash character and comes with a complete kit no one would actually know how to use without a proper guide or lots of time in training mode, which is why I do feel it makes him a very underused character in the competitive scene.

Its not that he's really that hard to play as, its just the lack there of concise guides especially on video for those who don't have the attention span to read it is where lies the problem... exacerbated by the lack of use. Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that guides do exist for Mega Man, but Mega Man has evolved a lot over time the more tech being dug up, and when something new is discovered when its very unique to him, it normally goes unnoticed.

What would make Mega Man top tier would be all the tech he actually does have. Things like:

-The easiest jablock combos and setups that can lead into an infinite... even from a raw Metal Blade.
-DITCIT. which can also lead into footstool infinite and lots of other highly damaging combos.
-Falling Airshooter, which counters match ups casual Mega Mans would have trouble with in certain ways. Like Fox or Captain Falcon for instance get the smack down from this combo. Anyone tall or falls really fast gets owned by this combo, and if your character is tall as Falcon, its unblockable after shield has dropped low enough. (meaning it pokes) Does 40% damage maximum.
-Decent customs that don't overshadow his regular moves. Meaning they're all good when fully taken advantage of.
-Plenty of mobility and range.

That is what I think would make Mega Man higher on the list, if people noticed that kind of stuff and if said list actually mattered. I'm certain there would be people willing to learn Mega Man if they knew what specifically to practice.

Also since you asked @ Sneak Sneaks Sneak Sneaks here's that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bC24EGL8Nc

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
OP, to make Mega Man top tier, you must preach it, believe it, and fight for it. I do personally believe that Mega Man has marks to be one of the best characters, but since he controls rather unorthodox for a Smash character and comes with a complete kit no one would actually know how to use without a proper guide or lots of time in training mode, which is why I do feel it makes him a very underused character in the competitive scene.

Its not that he's really that hard to play as, its just the lack there of concise guides especially on video for those who don't have the attention span to read it is where lies the problem... exacerbated by the lack of use. Oh, don't get me wrong, I know that guides do exist for Mega Man, but Mega Man has evolved a lot over time the more tech being dug up, and when something new is discovered when its very unique to him, it normally goes unnoticed.

What would make Mega Man top tier would be all the tech he actually does have. Things like:

-The easiest jablock combos and setups that can lead into an infinite... even from a raw Metal Blade.
-DITCIT. which can also lead into footstool infinite and lots of other highly damaging combos.
-Falling Airshooter, which counters match ups casual Mega Mans would have trouble with in certain ways. Like Fox or Captain Falcon for instance get the smack down from this combo. Anyone tall or falls really fast gets owned by this combo, and if your character is tall as Falcon, its unblockable after shield has dropped low enough. (meaning it pokes) Does 40% damage maximum.
-Decent customs that don't overshadow his regular moves. Meaning they're all good when fully taken advantage of.
-Plenty of mobility and range.

That is what I think would make Mega Man higher on the list, if people noticed that kind of stuff and if said list actually mattered. I'm certain there would be people willing to learn Mega Man if they knew what specifically to practice.

Also since you asked @ Sneak Sneaks Sneak Sneaks here's that video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bC24EGL8Nc
In what situation can youbuse air shooter like that? OoS?

Greward

Smash Lord
Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
On one hand it isn't safe in front of a regenerated shield, but on the other, not all grabs are that fast so you can spot dodge quickly, and some don't have that kind of grab range if you fall, but pull backwards. Other things you can do is use it on weakened shield or behind opponents so they can't grab you at all. Mega Man has plenty of ways to make it effective during any single game to the point where, yeah it can't be avoided/punished if effectively used on one exception though: you do not get far too predictable with it.

That's basically the gist of how it works though and the positive qualities of it.

Greward

Smash Lord
So the trick is gping behing your opponent and using uair? But isnt it punisjable on shield?
if you do it in front of them most chars will be able to shieldgrab. If you do it behind them it's usually not punishable, although depending on the matchup it might be.

This use of up air works wonders on large characters but it's very hard to use against small guys like Pikachu.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Something that has been working way too good lately is running away of characters and Pivot Fsmash, it gets them off guard a lot times and it covers quite a distance and also if they it does a good shield pressure, issues is with perfect shields but I think if you keep a good distance it should work unless you are fighting a character as fast as sonicsince that guy can punish you almost always, I even got to shield a Falcon toda with it, the dude took a fully charged fsmash and then I broke his shield with a pivot fsmash

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I think Megaman overall is improving, look at this battle, it was really close, we are developing the metagame!

Top Bottom