• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Vote for Medusa's Homecoming Party!

D

Deleted member

If Sakurai does decide to add a 4th KI character, it would probably someone who got the much better praise as a villain (Hades).
Though, frankly, and I know this may be argued as boiling down to personal bias, but I don't think Hades deserves that slot as much as Medusa.

Obviously, Hades got the bigger limelight in the game because he was a Sakurai creation, and I don't think Sakurai cared that much for Medusa, in spite of the fact that the dichotomy of the first game drew an interest paralell with the noble goddess, the fallen goddess, and the noble goddess's loyal servant, which was why Medusa only appeared sparingly during her story arc (and at the end where, you know, she decided enough was enough and she'd be happier dead than as somebody's recyclable punching bag). However, I would argue that Medusa should be given that slot more because of the fact that A) Medusa meant a lot more to the series from a retro perspective, B) Medusa was unique that she was the only character that wasn't being jokey or hammy in Uprising, and C) she's the only notable female villain in Nintendo history amongst the casual or less-in-the-know fans.

Out of curiousity, where did you get the idea that Hades got the better praise?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just from the Hades fanbase in general. People acknowledge Hades as one of the best Nintendo villains out there.
Hades is the new Geno, that fan favorite that garnered a lot of attention despite being in one game.

You may be right, Salurai bias would dictate that he may be chosen instead (along with his grating dialogue). :troll:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We don't know who the next villain will be in the next KI. But based on what I said, the main villain will probably be Hades again, with Medusa as his henchmen again. :p

I doubt he'll be a one shot.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We don't know who the next villain will be in the next KI. But based on what I said, the main villain will probably be Hades again, with Medusa as his henchmen again. :p

I doubt he'll be a one shot.
God forbid Hades x Medusa becoming a canon couple (That could make the Palutena x Medusa fans very unhappy). But who cares, that means more delicious tears souls for the Lord of the Underworld to feed on. :laugh:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I thought Medusa would be the third KI rep hands down. I wasn't expecting Dark Pit, and I don't hate his inclusion either. But if Hades makes it over Medusa I might have to put the blame on bias.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It's really up to whether or not the retro nostalgic aspect of Medusa or the best received Nintendo villain is the winning factor for Sakurai (if a 4th KI character ever happened).

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The problem with Hades is that beside shooting many projectiles, giant boss style, he only shows punching and kicking. This, plus a tornado, and eating Pit.

I love Hades, but I don't really want a projectile shooting Ganondorf, to exagerate a bit (well, I want Ganondorf to shoot them, in fact). Medusa on the other hand, have many unique things she can bring, from stone glare to poison, and the fact she is a female villain (we have Wendy, but...)
Hades works better as a projectile shooting, cynical giant boss to me.

I thought Medusa would be the third KI rep hands down. I wasn't expecting Dark Pit, and I don't hate his inclusion either. But if Hades makes it over Medusa I might have to put the blame on bias.
Sakurai was probably not expecting Dark Pit either. Considering Palutena's and Robin's trailers, he was probably at this point still considered as an alt for Pit.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I still support Medusa.

Here's to hoping Sakurai becomes somewhat bias to include Kid Icarus and Kirby characters as dlc.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The problem with Hades is that beside shooting many projectiles, giant boss style, he only shows punching and kicking. This, plus a tornado, and eating Pit.

I love Hades, but I don't really want a projectile shooting Ganondorf, to exagerate a bit (well, I want Ganondorf to shoot them, in fact). Medusa on the other hand, have many unique things she can bring, from stone glare to poison, and the fact she is a female villain (we have Wendy, but...)
Hades works better as a projectile shooting, cynical giant boss to me.
You're right, the Lord of the Underworld would most likely be a Wario clone with such moves. :troll:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
God forbid Hades x Medusa becoming a canon couple (That could make the Palutena x Medusa fans very unhappy). But who cares, that means more delicious tears souls for the Lord of the Underworld to feed on. :laugh:
Well since Palutena/Athena was the one who turned Medusa into a monster and the Greek Gods and Goddesses were pretty much perverted, had a sick sense of justice and did whatever they want Palutena x Medusa could work. Too bad Nintendo won't go that far.:troll:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
You're right, the Lord of the Underworld would most likely be a Wario clone with such moves. :troll:
Hades Waft :troll:

On a more serious note, I seriously "fear" that if Hades is playable, he would be unoriginal as a fighter (despite being an original character), with Falcon and Ganondorf (especially Ganondorf). His projectiles as a boss aren't that notable either, there's just many.

Funny quotes aren't enough to me, compared to Robin's tome for example :awesome:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Hades Waft :troll:

On a more serious note, I seriously "fear" that if Hades is playable, he would be unoriginal as a fighter (despite being an original character), with Falcon and Ganondorf (especially Ganondorf). His projectiles as a boss aren't that notable either, there's just many.

Funny quotes aren't enough to me, compared to Robin's tome for example :awesome:
Hades being a falcon clone or semi clone would be as much disrespectful as Ganondorf still being one. After finding out that Ganondorf's move set didn't change I just gave up on him. Smash Crusade still has the best Ganondorf so that's still a plus.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hades being a falcon clone or semi clone would be as much disrespectful as Ganondorf still being one. After finding out that Ganondorf's move set didn't change I just gave up on him. Smash Crusade still has the best Ganondorf so that's still a plus.
I actually like Falcondorf. I simply want the deadman volley and he would be perfect.

Hades doesn't have notable weapons, so he basically is a "tall muscular heavyweight". His moves doesn't have to be the same as Falcon/dorf... But now that I think about it, et does have a fast punching and a running animation similar to Falcon.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Ganondorf with an element of surprise, that's how I would describe Hades for his moveset. Even though it is not really unique.
I personally think being regarded as one of the best villains in the game is more of plus than uniqueness.

NNID
Majorasmask66
I actually like Falcondorf. I simply want the deadman volley and he would be perfect.

Hades doesn't have notable weapons, so he basically is a "tall muscular heavyweight". His moves doesn't have to be the same as Falcon/dorf... But now that I think about it, et does have a fast punching and a running animation similar to Falcon.
He uses various energy based attacks through out the final battle. The real problem is figuring out how those attacks would work in smash bros.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
He uses various energy based attacks through out the final battle. The real problem is figuring out how those attacks would work in smash bros.
You mean the various projectiles he uses? That's the reason I think he would look better as a boss. Only the first part of the boss battle is really exploitable to me.
By the way, we are talking about Sakurai's character, he can do what he want with him... This applies to Medusa too, in fact. Afterall, he took liberties with Palutena's special moves already... Or the twirling baton attacks :troll:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
We need more villains; I support this. And please, for the love of Sakurai, let her have her energy-uppercut thing from Uprising as her up b.
To be fair, she have a teleport ready for this, and the uppercut can work well as a Smash.
I'm biased because I love teleport moves, but it's the most logical choice.

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
To be fair, she have a teleport ready for this, and the uppercut can work well as a Smash.
I'm biased because I love teleport moves, but it's the most logical choice.
Now that I think about it, the uppercut as uair would be awesome. It would make her an unpredictable character when it comes to recovery.

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
An up-air that work as a recovery would be kinda OP don't you think? :p Even if it's purely vertical.
i figure it's range would be similar to little mac's up b and would have a bit of a diagonal tilt but not too much. the teleport would have a lot of range but would also do no damage. we don't know if it would be op until we see it's execution. what i do know is that it would make for a very interesting character to use

NNID
Majorasmask66
You mean the various projectiles he uses? That's the reason I think he would look better as a boss. Only the first part of the boss battle is really exploitable to me.
By the way, we are talking about Sakurai's character, he can do what he want with him... This applies to Medusa too, in fact. Afterall, he took liberties with Palutena's special moves already... Or the twirling baton attacks :troll:
I feel its much easier to make moves for medusa. i will never argue this but there are still moves that would work well with hades like those purple orbs he summons that later launch at the player shortly after or that ground punch he does where his arm gets stuck ect ect. But he would still make for a cool boss. what if he could (temporarily) destroy parts of palutena's temple.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I feel its much easier to make moves for medusa. i will never argue this but there are still moves that would work well with hades like those purple orbs he summons that later launch at the player shortly after or that ground punch he does where his arm gets stuck ect ect. But he would still make for a cool boss. what if he could (temporarily) destroy parts of palutena's temple.
An underworld stage where we fight on the great sacred treasure against Hades would look cool too.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Sad that Garbage Pit got in iver Medusa. She could have easily been a Palutena clone. Heck shes more prefered and would have gotten way less hate then dark pit because she's appeared in more then 1 game, is significant to Nintendo, a villain, female, female villain and great design in general. Ugh why did he add playable trash over the goddess of darkness. :(

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Sad that Garbage Pit got in iver Medusa. She could have easily been a Palutena clone. Heck shes more prefered and would have gotten way less hate then dark pit because she's appeared in more then 1 game, is significant to Nintendo, a villain, female, female villain and great design in general. Ugh why did he add playable trash over the goddess of darkness. :(
Because Sakurai is bound to be biased when it comes to characters that HE personally created (Kirby, Dark Pit, ect.). I had a bad feeling that Pitooey would show up for that reason alone. There's a slim chance for Medusa to be DLC, but the addition of a fourth rep would be enough for the Smash fans to rage even more (Like they hadn't already done so with Dark Pit).

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I thought I would be dissapointed by Dark Pit inclusion, but considering he is a clone, I'm not. He was always considered in the game, as a costume, but added as a fighter along Lucina and Dr Mario. Among the costumes, only Alph could had been a separate playable character too, but I don't see the point in a pikmin clone honestly.

We should just remember that if the clones weren't in, the roster would simply have three empty slots. And to be fair, Pit and Palutena are enough to represent the serie. Now, this doesn't mean they should be the only characters.

NNID
Majorasmask66
Because Sakurai is bound to be biased when it comes to characters that HE personally created (Kirby, Dark Pit, ect.). I had a bad feeling that Pitooey would show up for that reason alone. There's a slim chance for Medusa to be DLC, but the addition of a fourth rep would be enough for the Smash fans to rage even more (Like they hadn't already done so with Dark Pit).
I wonder if dark pit's inclusion will make it so neither Medusa or Hades become playable as dlc due to too much kid icarus representation. But that will never be able to be proven so what ever.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Kid Icarus probably could have had hades or medusa as dlc but dark pit is there so it's impossible at this point sadly. I would rather wait 1 year for hads/medusa dlc then have dark pit be the 3rd rep.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Medusa > Hades. Hades is still super awesome though, and I wouldn't complain if he were the KI villain that got in.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The salt would be hilarious if Kid Icarus got a 4th playable rep. It is funny how Sakurai was once known as "modest" when it comes to playable reps of franchises he created or worked on, but nowadays he is seem as a biased person.

Anyways, I am not sure if I would prefer Medusa or Hades to represent the dark side of Kid Icarus. Both are great characters. I think Hades have much better chances given how popular he is [commonly referred as one of Nintendo bests (if not THE best) villain]. On the other hand, he is (so far) an one-shot villain, while Medusa is THE recurring villain in the KI series...

Anyways, she has my support (and so does Hades).

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It's actually cause he was originally an alt tho

D

Deleted member

The salt would be hilarious if Kid Icarus got a 4th playable rep. It is funny how Sakurai was once known as "modest" when it comes to playable reps of franchises he created or worked on, but nowadays he is seem as a biased person.

Anyways, I am not sure if I would prefer Medusa or Hades to represent the dark side of Kid Icarus. Both are great characters. I think Hades have much better chances given how popular he is [commonly referred as one of Nintendo bests (if not THE best) villain]. On the other hand, he is (so far) an one-shot villain, while Medusa is THE recurring villain in the KI series...

Anyways, she has my support (and so does Hades).
Sakurai will get "bias" no matter what. The problem is that the choices he'll make will be debated, no matter what. It's a lose-lose scenario.

• If he picks Medusa, people will complain that he went with the boring villain and not the edge, super-cool one. But, for the record, I view Hades as super-lame, though I do respect Hades fans, so I won't lie by saying that this is the lesser of two evils, IMO.
  • If he picks Hades, he'll catch hell for picking his own creation over a character that has more involvement in the canon.
  • If he puts BOTH in, people will complain about him going overboard, even if people get both the traditionalist & the wild and crazy evil god.
  • If he doesn't do either one... Dark Pit should stick to being the character some fans wished they had a voodoo doll of.
So, you can see the dilenma.

I'm also curious as to what Medusa's Guidance will be. I'm hoping Medusa takes over for Palutena and Viridi and simply makes it a threat to Pit, but more likely than not, she'll eventually be asked why she helped them in the end, and Medusa reluctantly states that she grew tired of being revived and manipulated, and wanted her misery to end (I'm guessing her involvement in Smash Bros. might have been a reward by Palutena for that, which the Goddess of Light would joke about). She's an evil goddess, but as we all know, she's an honest one.

And, as for Boxing Ring title... Queen of the Underworld Army. Plain and simple.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Sakurai will get "bias" no matter what. The problem is that the choices he'll make will be debated, no matter what. It's a lose-lose scenario.

• If he picks Medusa, people will complain that he went with the boring villain and not the edge, super-cool one. But, for the record, I view Hades as super-lame, though I do respect Hades fans, so I won't lie by saying that this is the lesser of two evils, IMO.
  • If he picks Hades, he'll catch hell for picking his own creation over a character that has more involvement in the canon.
  • If he puts BOTH in, people will complain about him going overboard, even if people get both the traditionalist & the wild and crazy evil god.
  • If he doesn't do either one... Dark Pit should stick to being the character some fans wished they had a voodoo doll of.
So, you can see the dilenma.

I'm also curious as to what Medusa's Guidance will be. I'm hoping Medusa takes over for Palutena and Viridi and simply makes it a threat to Pit, but more likely than not, she'll eventually be asked why she helped them in the end, and Medusa reluctantly states that she grew tired of being revived and manipulated, and wanted her misery to end (I'm guessing her involvement in Smash Bros. might have been a reward by Palutena for that, which the Goddess of Light would joke about). She's an evil goddess, but as we all know, she's an honest one.

And, as for Boxing Ring title... Queen of the Underworld Army. Plain and simple.
Honestly, I hated Dark Pit's inclusion, but I'd be A-OK with Medusa. I'd just prefer that K. Rool, Isaac, and Dixie get in first. But I really, REALLY like the idea of adding a female villain. And one that's legitimately dark and sinister. She's a nice contrast to the rest of the KI cast. I'd rather it wait until next Smash at this point, and Dark Pit can get cut (well, he probably won't be, but it won't both me that much I guess).

Top Bottom