• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [May 14, 2015] Smashing Grounds Weekly! (PM + Melee at Game Underground... (Framingham, MA)

The_NZA

Smash Lord

Hello Everyone,

I am here to announce that Game Underground in Framingham has agreed to test out a weekly PM and Melee tourney series every Thursday, starting next week (yay!). I will be TOing the PM side of things, and I am so excited for PM to finally have a home in MA. This is a fully featured weekly, with a stream, plenty of setups, PM singles and doubles, Melee Singles and maybe eventually we can plan for a ranking system.

So lets get to the specifics: https://www.facebook.com/events/421374361298583/

DATE/Time:
Thursdays

Registration for PM/Melee is 6:20 PM
PM Starts at 7:00 PM
Melee Starts at 8:00 PM

Game Underground 1251 Worcester Rd Framingham, MA 01701

TRANSPORTATION:
Driving is the easiest. However, there is the Commuter rail Framingham stop that is 5 minutes from the venue. If one were to get off there, they could call me on my cell to arrange for a pickup.

Alternatively, I am willing to pick up people from the Riverside stop on the Green Line around 5:30 PM. If you don't drive, I suggest you post in the event thread or here to coordinate a ride: https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewEnglandMelee/

Venue Fee $5.

Singles Fee is $3 (each game)

We need Brawl Disks, Melee Disks, SD cards, Wiis, and CRT TVs. Most importantly, we need people. Please spread the word, try and make the effort to make it out to this so that it can be the big success a Weekly needs in order to be justified. A Full setup = free venue (full setup means tv, console, game). If you bring a setup, please aim to arrive at 6:00 pm to speed up setup.

If you want to contact me or have questions/ideas, post below or message me.

Hope to see you all there, and I hope you all are as jazzed about this as I am! We've all worked hard for this moment.

PM Ruleset:
4 stock, 8 minutes.
• Sets are best of 3. Finals are best of 5.
• Items set to “off” and “none.”
• Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.
• Dave’s Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he won on in a set.
• Controller port is determined by Rock Paper Scissors if it can’t be agreed upon. For doubles, the controller ports must be 1-2-2-1.
• For doubles, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.
• Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.
• Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.
• If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.
• If the match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move (Ganon’s side-B, Kirby/DDD’s swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the one who initiated the move wins.
• Buffer set to off.
• Custom controls are allowed, but controllers modified to enhance performance are not. No turbo buttons, etc. However, removing the springs from shoulder buttons or replacing a thumbstick with a different thumbstick are ok.
• Custom music is allowed as long as it’s not too distracting, but any textures or vertex hacks outside of the official team color textures are not.
• If you want to use your own SD card, a TO must overwrite the important game files (not music) in order to make sure there are no modifications. If you are caught cheating with modified game files, you will be immediately DQed without refund and banned from future events.
• In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.
• No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)
• No coaching during a match. Consulting someone between matches is allowed as long as it doesn’t hold up the next match.
• Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset.

Signles Stagelist:

For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 3 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.

Starters:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (SINGLES ONLY)
SSE: Jungle (Doubles only)

Counterpicks:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Pokemon Stadium 2
Dreamland (64)
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi’s Story (Melee) (Doubles Counterpick)
SSE: Jungle (Doubles only)
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Wario Ware
Green Hill Zone
Skyloft
Dracula's Castle

Melee Rules
Standard Apex 2014 rules:

Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed

Last edited:

skyguy

Smash Rookie
Definitely gonna try and go to this! I was hoping a weekly event would come closer to me.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Unfortunately I won't be here tonight after all. My work called and asked me if I could come in to cover a shift tonight, and I accepted =(

That's another week that I'll have to wait before I can play again.

Sastopher

Smash Journeyman
I had to perform some necromancy on my smashboards account for this post.

Thursdays at 6 are a little hard for me to make, but I plan on attending one of these. Are they going to be every week? I look forward to getting my butt kicked in PM.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
They are every week and this week's was a huge success (minus it lasted waaaay too long),. We probably are going to cut PM doubles out of the equation.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
I'm pumped about this, I've been waiting for something like this around my area for project m for awhile. I will most likely go tomorrow.
Also, based on last week's success, I wouldn't have to worry about driving a half hour and finding out barely anyone is there correct? lol

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I'm pumped about this, I've been waiting for something like this around my area for project m for awhile. I will most likely go tomorrow.
Also, based on last week's success, I wouldn't have to worry about driving a half hour and finding out barely anyone is there correct? lol
You don't have to worry about that, but if you would like to ensure more people come, htere are a few people who are stranded who need to be picked up.

Don't know if you are interested, but you should post here to help some folks out:
https://www.facebook.com/events/421374361298583/431007960335223/?notif_t=like

also, please bring a setup (TV and/or Wii + sd card + brawl + melee + gcn)

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Dang. Finally find a Smash thing and I work through most of it every week. I already come to Framingham on Fridays for Fight Night, but it'll probably be a long while before I come to this while its on Thursdays. Though best luck to your continued success!

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Dang. Finally find a Smash thing and I work through most of it every week. I already come to Framingham on Fridays for Fight Night, but it'll probably be a long while before I come to this while its on Thursdays. Though best luck to your continued success!
@_@ change your schedule to work on Fridays. Give in to your smash gods. M2k and Kdj are there tonight.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
@_@ change your schedule to work on Fridays. Give in to your smash gods. M2k and Kdj are there tonight.
My schedule is pretty inflexible though. Mon-Fri evenings, part of a skeleton crew, the morning shift has enough people happy where they are, and I'm coming from Foxboro. Friday only works out because I tend to get off early and Fight Night tends to run way into the night unless there is a tourney Saturday. With this, I'd be arriving at the tail end of the event (slightly past 11) where people are on there way out. :(

OidBirdie

Smash Cadet
I'll be there for sure. Unfortunately i can't bring a setup though.
First tourney experience. Hypee!

Last edited:

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Somehow I made it. I didn't enter the tourney since it was way too late, but I lucked out with work and made it to this. GGs to all who I played. And good on M2K winning

Dunno when/if I ever get the to be here again. But I enjoyed it just as much as Fight Night. Peace.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Somehow I made it. I didn't enter the tourney since it was way too late, but I lucked out with work and made it to this. GGs to all who I played. And good on M2K winning

Dunno when/if I ever get the to be here again. But I enjoyed it just as much as Fight Night. Peace.
Sorry you didn't get to play in tourney! Hope to see you again as improbable it is. And I hope you got to play some friendlies.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I will be at the one in 7 days from now. March 20. All I ask is
1) please money match me a lot and
2) Please get me a GOOD controller that I can buy. I am looking for something good enough to win MLGs; such as easy ledge wavedash and perfect/instant dash dancing. thanks!

Risky

Smash Ace
I live in Newport, RI and would love to come to this. Is anyone in the area able to carpool? I can take the 60 up to Providence, if you're on the route.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Just wanted to post that this tournament series is really fun and I've been learning a lot every time I go, meeting some cool people, and look forward to it every time I can make it. Seriously, you guys are awesome and I thank you tremendously for making this a regular thing (even if I can only consistently make it like half the time).

If anyone is thinking about going, my recomendation is absolutely GO GO GO. If you like the game and want to get better, just show up. Even if you get #rekt just learn from your experiences and try to get better.

For serious though, guys who should I main in this game everyone is great and I don't know who to play regularly

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Just wanted to post that this tournament series is really fun and I've been learning a lot every time I go, meeting some cool people, and look forward to it every time I can make it. Seriously, you guys are awesome and I thank you tremendously for making this a regular thing (even if I can only consistently make it like half the time).

If anyone is thinking about going, my recomendation is absolutely GO GO GO. If you like the game and want to get better, just show up. Even if you get #rekt just learn from your experiences and try to get better.

For serious though, guys who should I main in this game everyone is great and I don't know who to play regularly
DK is the answer.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
DK's too stronk, I don't want to put too much pressure on everyone else.

but I'll take it into extremely serious consideration

dk srs

POOB

Smash Journeyman
DK's too stronk, I don't want to put too much pressure on everyone else.

but I'll take it into extremely serious consideration

dk srs
I think you should main olimar and secondary DK or vice versa. Test out tomorrow who you like better/do better with. After all, u said you love olimar. Its important to love your character and have fun with them lol. Olimar is relatively unexplored in PM,you might discover some new things.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I think you should main olimar and secondary DK or vice versa. Test out tomorrow who you like better/do better with. After all, u said you love olimar. Its important to love your character and have fun with them lol. Olimar is relatively unexplored in PM,you might discover some new things.
God knows we ALL need more olimar practice.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Yeah, real talk, I honestly feel like I've improved more in the past 5 weeks than I have in the entire time since P:M came out, just because I'm playing more than once every two months at random tournaments. Frequent playing is the most important key to getting better, whether it's good or bad, high level or low level. And even if you're never been to a tournament before, if you like playing the game you will have an incredible time playing with new people (not even mentioning the social aspect of it, which is also amazing), and the gameplay experience will help you, even if you don't realize it.

This series has brought out so many people who I never saw at any P:M or Melee tournaments before this, and we're growing so fast in less than 2 months. Finally we have a real "scene" for this game.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Y'all don't know how happy all of your posts make me.

The Monthly will be a mega PM focused Saturday with Singles, Doubles, and potentially crew battles (potentially a Cross crew battle between Smashing Grounds MA and Hall of Gaming CT)

POOB

Smash Journeyman
Y'all don't know how happy all of your posts make me.

The Monthly will be a mega PM focused Saturday with Singles, Doubles, and potentially crew battles (potentially a Cross crew battle between Smashing Grounds MA and Hall of Gaming CT)
Omg, that sounds so hype, especially doubles and cross crew battles. Gonna make sure i schedule myself "unavailable" for work that day lol

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Yeah, real talk, I honestly feel like I've improved more in the past 5 weeks than I have in the entire time since P:M came out, just because I'm playing more than once every two months at random tournaments. Frequent playing is the most important key to getting better, whether it's good or bad, high level or low level.
F'reals, I just want to mention that holy **** you've gotten way better from the time I played you in tournament, like, fairly recently. I don't know, I think it was two or three weeks later and I can clearly see improvements in your game. Your Bowser's a beast now. Mad props, yo.

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
...also I can't go tomorrow because work scheduled me. However, I just put in that I can only work every other Thursday (if that's even necessary) at most, so I'll be able to get to at least every other tourney.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
F'reals, I just want to mention that holy **** you've gotten way better from the time I played you in tournament, like, fairly recently. I don't know, I think it was two or three weeks later and I can clearly see improvements in your game. Your Bowser's a beast now. Mad props, yo.
Yeah definitely, I was VERY lucky that the Bowser-DK MU is in DK's favor, because I faced him in bracket and he resorted to Kirby, which not to mention was also nasty. I'm worried if he keeps improving at this rate... lol

Also, too bad you can't come this week :(

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
I second this. Just pick Oli or DK and stick with 'em dude. Main indecisveness aint gonna getcha anywhere

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
I second this. Just pick Oli or DK and stick with 'em dude. Main indecisveness aint gonna getcha anywhere
b-b-but I like Ganon and Roy too...

For real though, I'm definitely going to try and improve my Olimar game, might throw DK out there sometimes, but idk yet. There are just so many options. I'll figure out at least a main two (or three) soon enough. Olimar will definitely be one of them though.

Last edited:

POOB

Smash Journeyman
b-b-but I like Ganon and Roy too...

For real though, I'm definitely going to try and improve my Olimar game, might throw DK out there sometimes, but idk yet. There are just so many options. I'll figure out at least a main two (or three) soon enough. Olimar will definitely be one of them though.
I'll gladly play a bunch of friendlies with you next thursday if youre there, we need to find you a main lol

Top Bottom