• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Mastery of the Arts - Greninja Matchup Thread Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Greninja has no answer to Fair or needles, rendering the MU realistically unwinnable at high level hence my original hypothesis of it being 65:35 or better in Sheik's favour.

We don't stand a chance mid-range either, if the Sheik knows she has nothing to fear by approaching to max Fair range. We have nothing to punish Fair on block and even whiff punishing is extremely difficult. We also have nothing to discourage her from approaching to max Fair range. Dash grab? Insanely risky.

We WOULD stand a chance against Sheik if she would stay in mid range, but she has no reason to stay there and we cannot force her to stay there. So us doing well mid-range is next to meaningless.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Results!
  • :4peach: 55:45
  • :4wario: 50:50
  • :4gaw: 55:45
  • :4dk: 55:45
  • :4samus: 60:40
  • :4palutena: 55:45
  • :4marth: 50:50
  • :4pikachu: 45:55
  • :4charizard: 55:45
  • :4lucario: 50:50
  • :4duckhunt: 55:45
  • :4rob: 50:50
  • :4ness: 50:50
  • :4lucina: 55:45
  • :4pacman: 50:50
  • :4mewtwo: 55:45
  • :4lucas: 55:45
  • :4feroy: 55:45
  • :4ryu: 50:50
  • :4miigun: 55:45
  • :4miisword: 60:40
For Returning MUs.. two of the highest threats in the game, as well as one of the other controversial matchups:
  • :4sheik: (40:60)
  • :4zss: (50:50)
  • :4fox: (45:55)
We will break for at least two weeks, maybe more with the patch next week being possibly a balance patch.

Last edited:

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
So his easiest match ups are those that have a hard time pressuring him or those with very limited options?

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Greninja Bair does not outrange Sheik Fair with any of the kicks.

This should be case closed.
Hmmmmmmm...... wait a minute!

Both times Shiek hit Greninja with Fair in that video, she was aiming for the lower end of Greninja's hurtbox, which is much wider then any of Shiek's model. Fair didn't land because it had more range, it landed because it was hitting a bigger target!

....Not that it really matters much anyway, the thing is still disjointed so Bair can't really slip past it. Next time you test something like this, though, try and test it on the same character each time- results are more consistent that way. Would've mentioned this earlier, but I didn't catch it until just now.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I mean, we're talking about interaction between two moves in a specific MU.

I'm not entirely sure of the exact range of each move but feel free to test it for yourself.

For the purpose of the MU her Fair outranges our Bair so yeah...
-----

In other news Some lost to Rain and Nietono at Umebura F.A.T., both Sheiks. He hasn't lost to a non-Sheik in bracket aside from Daiki's Diddy.

Greninja would be a serious threat if Sheik didn't cockblock him, and I think if the Sheik MU was winnable at high level we'd have evidence of it.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Greninja will always be a serious threat until everyone plays Sheik. Even then the MU isn't unwinnable it's just bad. We have a lot of great strings on Sheik that allow us to rack up huge damage, and our kill confirms work better on her fall speed. We outdamage her by a decent margin, she just has an easier time hitting us. We're also slippery enough offstage to escape her edge guards, you just have to be patient. Our high double jump allows the 50/50 created for most characters by high % d-throw to be mostly null, as the timing to catch our double jump with up air is pretty specific and you're sure as hell not going to catch it with vanish.

Despite this, I won't deny it is a bad matchup. Sheik has great strings on us and can outcamp us, making keeping her at a distance a futile tactic. There is no stage we can take her to that works to our advantage and not hers. Sheik should be winning every time, but if you're patient we should be living to unreasonable % which gives us a chance.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'm just gonna quote a great player from the :4megaman: boards as to why he thinks we don't lose to you (with it being ranked 55:45 here and all)

:4greninja:: His lack of oos options means our pellet pressure works even better against him than usual; on top of this, we have more than enough speed and range to challenge several of Greninja's bnb neutral options. His n-air and f-air are outsped and outranged by MM's F-air and b-air. We also don't really falter too much to Hydro Pump Shenanigans since it tends to just push us higher when we're recovering. Pellets trade with uncharged shuriken so Greninja has to commit to a charged shuriken to actually deal with pellet pressure.

Objections?

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I always thought the MU was even so eh.

Also we can fire Hydro Pump at Megaman in order to not only push him away but also deal damage to him if you're spamming pellets since pellets don't stop the water. I do that on occasion just to deal a little extra damage from time to time. So we really don't need to commit to charged shurikens. Plus Hydro Pump outranges pellets.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Uh yes. Our Bair, aka Slash Claw: comes out on frame 4, has decent kill power & damage and outprioritizes most aerials in the game including yours. Wouldn't be surprised if lemons and Fair deal with your Bair too, and your other aerials are pretty slow in comparison.

Your Bair does have slightly less landing lag tho, I'll give you that.

EDIT: Also, I'm not really sure why Hydro Pumping would be much of an issue. Might outrange lemons but don't forget, we got 3 other projectiles that aren't really hindered by you using it:

Leaf Shield. High Priority projectile that eats through uncharged shurikens, zips past charged ones (and outranges it), and has pretty long range. We've got so many uses with this move that there's too many to list.

Crash Bomber, get one of these babies planted on and it forces a reaction out of you that we can punish:
  • Sit in shield. Do that and combining crash bomber with metal blades, leaf shield, and fsmash is gonna do quite some shield damage.
  • Rushdown to try and give it back to me.
  • Substitute, but I could probably just punish the endlag with the (godlike) Uair/Air Shooter
  • Ignore it and explode with 8%, sometimes we might even be able to combo from it.
Metal Blade, we can still hold one of these while activating leaf shield and we get a lot of things from this moves besides damage.

I think just shooting a crash bomb or leaf shield followed by a metal blade should be enough to get Greninja to move or stop Hydro Pumping if he's gonna resort to that, and then its back to the lemonade stand. Hydro Pump also has around 19 frames of startup, if I lemon preemptively you can get hit out of it anyways unless you're at a real long range (which you do not beat us in to start with). Just to get this out of the way tho, I'm not outright saying its in Mega Man's favor, but I don't think Gren beats us either. Plus, since I play both characters competitively and I don't often get to experience this matchup, I thought it'd be fun to talk about it for a bit :p

Last edited:

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Uh yes. Our Bair, aka Slash Claw: comes out on frame 4, has decent kill power & damage and outprioritizes most aerials in the game including yours.
I knew it was a good Aerial, Didn't know it was that fast tho wow. Guess we can add this one to the list of characters not to bother going air-to-air with :(

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I'm just gonna quote a great player from the :4megaman: boards as to why he thinks we don't lose to you (with it being ranked 55:45 here and all)

:4greninja:: His lack of oos options means our pellet pressure works even better against him than usual; on top of this, we have more than enough speed and range to challenge several of Greninja's bnb neutral options. His n-air and f-air are outsped and outranged by MM's F-air and b-air. We also don't really falter too much to Hydro Pump Shenanigans since it tends to just push us higher when we're recovering. Pellets trade with uncharged shuriken so Greninja has to commit to a charged shuriken to actually deal with pellet pressure.

Objections?
I always thought this was an even MU as well so this doesn't surprise me too much. As to why it's even and not a disadvantage for us:

Mega Man's kill power is a lot worse. It's not uncommon for you to outdamage us but be unable to kill us. We kill and edgeguard better than you (not necessarily edgeguarding with HP, I agree it's not that good).

Our Fair and Nair are a lot safer (on shield or otherwise) than your Fair or Bair and you can't outspeed them on reaction.

Our options OoS for ranged attacks like pellets are actually very good. Almost everyone has to shield drop -> attack against ranged moves and we have one of the best dashgrabs in the game. Also our SH OoS is really good because it's so high, and lets us get hard punishes with Nair or Fair if you overcommit to pressuring our shield.

Finally our advantage state is better. We simply have more damaging and better combos with better kill setups.

This all balances out against the points you made and MM's generally strong zoning to create a roughly even MU I think.

Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Yeah mega man is even. He wins the zoning war but if we're patient our mobility can win us the neutral and get a big juggle started on him. Hydro pump really isn't that effective if the mega man conserves his jump, which most tend to.

It's worth noting that dash attack is a decent approach in this matchup against metal blade or crash bomb. If timed right we'll grab the metal blade and pop mega man up for a fair or another followup, and have the metal blade for later use. I don't believe the crash bomb transfers immediately if DA connects, but it's still a good option. Not that the MM will be using CB at close range.

Lemon pressure is definitely the most annoying part of this matchup. We can attempt to space around it with fair and nair, but if MM is mixing up short hopping his pellets it's really hard to get in. I don't think we have to (read: should) commit to charged shuriken, because at best it gets blocked or hits and at worst we just get more pellets or a metal blade to the face. One nice thing is that I find mega man to have a lot of difficulty landing the KO on us without a hard read. The Slash Claw is definitely his best bet, we should never be close enough to be hit by mega upper and his charged buster at the ledge doesn't work on us. Air shooter is little more than an annoyance, and hard knuckle is really easy to get around with creative hydro pumping. Up smash isn't a bad option either but landing near mega man is, so they won't hit it often. Just be really precise with your tech game, as pellets are an amazing jab reset tool.

I think overall I just need to play it more. Every time I play the mu I get better at it.

Coffee™

I need it....
Greninja vs Pellets 50:50
Greninja vs Megaman 60:40.

Average.... 55:45 :008:

Last edited:

Spirst

Have played against Mega Man more than I can count. I think pellets make it an even MU that Greninja would otherwise win. Pellets stuff the usual nair approaches and dashes as well as force Greninja to be more intelligent in how he gets in. The good thing is that Greninja does have an answer to pellets. You can space fair however if he's trying to do things like retreating pellets. Fair has good range and if he's committing to pellets, SHFF Fair is pretty low risk. If you find yourself getting stuffed on fair approaches too, another way to counter the SH lemons is to run in with shield and shield drop>jab his landing. If you get hit by a metal blade? Jab when he tries to grab. There's no grab armor in this game anyway. In my opinion, jab is an especially good tool in this MU as Mega Man is a character who doesn't have a lot of fast moves to play the same game. He thrives on the mistakes of others but he doesn't excel at establishing a strong offensive presence. If you're Greninja and you're getting bullied by Mega Man offensively, you're doing something wrong. His heavy weight combined with a lack of pressure-escaping moves leaves him particularly susceptible to Greninja's BnB combos.

I also feel like this MU is very dependent upon who has a stock lead. Mega Man with a stock lead forces Greninja to approach more and play risky or else the game will go to time (which Mega Man shouldn't have a problem doing if needed). We all know Greninja doesn't actually like to approach; he just likes to give the illusion of such. On the other hand, Greninja with a stock lead will force Mega Man to fish for KOs more. He's great at doing chip damage and being annoying but he's not great at reliably setting up into kills bar ledge trump>bair or shield drop>utilt. If you play very safe at a stock lead, Mega Man will have problems ending that stock.

If Mega Man's pellet game is really getting to you, I suggest just running away and finding another way in. Little else in this game is more frustrating than being bombarded with 2% pellets (or less if stale) while you're trying to land a hit. Retreating gives you some time to come back with better spaced fairs or however you're planning on beating pellets. Mega Man also has pretty ****ty damage output. He can spend half a minute pelleting and doing chip damage only to have that % equaled by something simple like dtilt>fsmash.

Shuriken is decent but with fully charged transcendent shuriken being the only thing to beat pellets, it's not a staple. Greninja usually does it at mid range but with pellets, longer range is better. SH midrange shuriken=pellets/grab. If he's pellet heavy, I usually run away and ground B-reverse the shuriken charge just outside of pellet range to force him to jump or shield. Getting him to play your positional game is a good way to mess with his spacing and keep him where you want him.

Random notes:
-Don't be dumb and try nairs on shield at 80%+. Any competent Mega Man will get a clean utilt and end you.
-Mega Man's bair is really good but outside of ledge trumps, it's not TOO hard to play around. Hydropump is fortunately very flexible and you can play around the bair. Still a very scary move though.
-The crash bomb can be subbed pretty easily. Internalize the timing. If you get stuck with it from far away and go within uncharged shuriken range, it'll still lock onto to Mega Man instead of the crash bomb.
-Mega Man's dash attack is pretty useless in this MU. You can Shadow Sneak cancel it on reaction as well as hit him with the reappearance before he gets the finisher. You can also do the same for his dthrow>fair/bair stuff he likes to do at low %s.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I always thought this was an even MU as well so this doesn't surprise me too much. As to why it's even and not a disadvantage for us:

Mega Man's kill power is a lot worse. It's not uncommon for you to outdamage us but be unable to kill us. We kill and edgeguard better than you (not necessarily edgeguarding with HP, I agree it's not that good).

Our Fair and Nair are a lot safer (on shield or otherwise) than your Fair or Bair and you can't outspeed them on reaction.

Our options OoS for ranged attacks like pellets are actually very good. Almost everyone has to shield drop -> attack against ranged moves and we have one of the best dashgrabs in the game. Also our SH OoS is really good because it's so high, and lets us get hard punishes with Nair or Fair if you overcommit to pressuring our shield.

Finally our advantage state is better. We simply have more damaging and better combos with better kill setups.

This all balances out against the points you made and MM's generally strong zoning to create a roughly even MU I think.
Nair isn't safe on block at all tho and we can easily shieldgrab that, even if you crossup we can still Usmash OoS. Its also still outsped + outranged by Fair by 3 frames and Bair by 8.

Greninja a better edgeguarder than MM? How? We've got:
  • A down Tilt that has intagibility on MM's legs,puts our feet on the ledge so you can't sweetspot it with HP unless you recover from down below
  • Air shooters, which can scoop you if recovering high
  • Ledge Trump Bairs, as mentioned before. Comes out faster and is more powerful than any of your aerials too.
  • Leaf Shield, which is fantastic against recoveries that lack a protective hitbox like yours. If you're forced to UpB, we can activate this preemptively, run off stage, touch Greninja & cut him out of it, sometimes even getting an easy footstool from it (onstage, Leaf Shield Jab Locks into Up tilt can be a thing sometimes too). It might not outright, but you're still gonna take damage nonetheless. If you try to recover offensively with Shadow Sneak, we can still shield wile LS is on, and you'll get cut and slip down a bit too. You can sub it if you don't recover low, but that can be baited.
  • Metal Blades. We can Z-Drop these or toss them diagonally or straight down, and Leaf Shield + Metal Blade (we can still hold items while LS is on) is a fantastic combo when we're edgeguarding.
  • And that's without customs. I know customs have been dying in most places since post-EVO, but still, with customs Mega Man gets Danger Wrap and Tornado Hold, and these are even harder to get past. Meanwhile, your customs in general are pretty 'meh' and I don't think any of them are particularly effective against Rockman. Exploding Attack helps with edgeguarding a little but you lose an option against Crash Bomb and it becomes even easier to abuse your own recovery with Leaf Shield.
Overall, I don't really either side can do much to the other when it comes to edgeguarding, but I still don't see how you are better at it when we've got nearly twice as many options for it as you. I don't know how you're gonna consistently gimp us anyway when we've got above average weight, good air speed, can wall jump (twice!), and Rush Coil preserves our double jump and can even save us from getting spiked if you happen Dair us.

I agree that Greninja's kill options are better, but a LOT Better? I honestly think that's a bit of an overstatement. Remember people, we too have a kill setup: Full Hop and Diagonal Metal, and it can lead into a different thing depending on your reaction to it:
  • If you try to aerial it, we get a Fair
  • If you try to shield it, we get a grab, and not many characters can shieldgrab it if we're quick enough (not that your grab is even quick enough to counter this anyways)
  • If you get hit by it, it confirms into a free Mega Upper or Spark Shock (preferrably the former for kills, the latter for damage). Get hit by this around 90%, especially on a ledge getup, and it's Game Over for you.
The rest I agree with.
Yeah mega man is even. He wins the zoning war but if we're patient our mobility can win us the neutral and get a big juggle started on him. Hydro pump really isn't that effective if the mega man conserves his jump, which most tend to.

It's worth noting that dash attack is a decent approach in this matchup against metal blade or crash bomb. If timed right we'll grab the metal blade and pop mega man up for a fair or another followup, and have the metal blade for later use. I don't believe the crash bomb transfers immediately if DA connects, but it's still a good option. Not that the MM will be using CB at close range.

Lemon pressure is definitely the most annoying part of this matchup. We can attempt to space around it with fair and nair, but if MM is mixing up short hopping his pellets it's really hard to get in. I don't think we have to (read: should) commit to charged shuriken, because at best it gets blocked or hits and at worst we just get more pellets or a metal blade to the face. One nice thing is that I find mega man to have a lot of difficulty landing the KO on us without a hard read. The Slash Claw is definitely his best bet, we should never be close enough to be hit by mega upper and his charged buster at the ledge doesn't work on us. Air shooter is little more than an annoyance, and hard knuckle is really easy to get around with creative hydro pumping. Up smash isn't a bad option either but landing near mega man is, so they won't hit it often. Just be really precise with your tech game, as pellets are an amazing jab reset tool.

I think overall I just need to play it more. Every time I play the mu I get better at it.
1. Against dash attack, remember that in addition to Usmash OoS and sield grab we can shorthop Air Shooter to scoop you out of it (Air Shooter can be real good against these kinds of approaches). And if you catch the metal blade, how can you lead into fair while you still have it? If you toss it away, I'd bet we'd have just enough time to jup out of it.
2. As mentioned before, we can lead into Mega Upper with Fullhop Metal Blade & it works for Spark Shock too. Usmash OoS is still a thing too, and if you nair around 90%, perffect shielding it gives us a Mega Upper and its over

Just sayin.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
There is still one thing to remember...
While :4megaman: has trouble when it comes to land kills, his BThrow is an average kill move. And his UThrow can kill in the later % (understand 200%). So yeah, while we have a very low damage output, :4megaman: is known for racking huge amounts of damage... and Leaf Shield usually gives us free grabs.

Now I know, giving your opponent Max Rage isn't the best idea, BUT Mega Man has Kill Throws. So never underestimate them.
(and BThrow deals 11 % btw)

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Nair isn't safe on block at all tho and we can easily shieldgrab that, even if you crossup we can still Usmash OoS. Its also still outsped + outranged by Fair by 3 frames and Bair by 8.

Greninja a better edgeguarder than MM? How? We've got:
  • A down Tilt that has intagibility on MM's legs,puts our feet on the ledge so you can't sweetspot it with HP unless you recover from down below
  • Air shooters, which can scoop you if recovering high
  • Ledge Trump Bairs, as mentioned before. Comes out faster and is more powerful than any of your aerials too.
  • Leaf Shield, which is fantastic against recoveries that lack a protective hitbox like yours. If you're forced to UpB, we can activate this preemptively, run off stage, touch Greninja & cut him out of it, sometimes even getting an easy footstool from it (onstage, Leaf Shield Jab Locks into Up tilt can be a thing sometimes too). It might not outright, but you're still gonna take damage nonetheless. If you try to recover offensively with Shadow Sneak, we can still shield wile LS is on, and you'll get cut and slip down a bit too. You can sub it if you don't recover low, but that can be baited.
  • Metal Blades. We can Z-Drop these or toss them diagonally or straight down, and Leaf Shield + Metal Blade (we can still hold items while LS is on) is a fantastic combo when we're edgeguarding.
  • And that's without customs. I know customs have been dying in most places since post-EVO, but still, with customs Mega Man gets Danger Wrap and Tornado Hold, and these are even harder to get past. Meanwhile, your customs in general are pretty 'meh' and I don't think any of them are particularly effective against Rockman. Exploding Attack helps with edgeguarding a little but you lose an option against Crash Bomb and it becomes even easier to abuse your own recovery with Leaf Shield.
Overall, I don't really either side can do much to the other when it comes to edgeguarding, but I still don't see how you are better at it when we've got nearly twice as many options for it as you. I don't know how you're gonna consistently gimp us anyway when we've got above average weight, good air speed, can wall jump (twice!), and Rush Coil preserves our double jump and can even save us from getting spiked if you happen Dair us.

I agree that Greninja's kill options are better, but a LOT Better? I honestly think that's a bit of an overstatement. Remember people, we too have a kill setup: Full Hop and Diagonal Metal, and it can lead into a different thing depending on your reaction to it:
  • If you try to aerial it, we get a Fair
  • If you try to shield it, we get a grab, and not many characters can shieldgrab it if we're quick enough (not that your grab is even quick enough to counter this anyways)
  • If you get hit by it, it confirms into a free Mega Upper or Spark Shock (preferrably the former for kills, the latter for damage). Get hit by this around 90%, especially on a ledge getup, and it's Game Over for you.
The rest I agree with.
Some good points here. A few I can challenge:

Nair isn't safe but it's infinitely safer than your aerials on block. With only 12 frames of landing lag and 11 damage it's frame advantage 0 on shield drop and -8 on shield. So no, since your Usmash has more than 8 frames of startup you actually don't get a punish on shielded crossup Nair if it's done properly. Your only guaranteed punish is grab from the front I think.

I know how fast your aerials are but it doesn't change the fact you can't outspeed ours on reaction. And I'm not convinced they outrange Fair but will test later.

Our edgeguarding tools consist of a multi-directional no risk windbox which, while it can't gimp MM outright, can stall his recovery and force him to land into a smash attack. We have Uair for high recoveries due to our insanely high jumps, which doesn't go as high but is way less telegraphed than yours. Our Bair is basically a worse version of yours for edgeguarding, but yours is amazing, so ours is pretty good. Fair is a pretty powerful aerial and forward facing, so quite useful, sadly it's sluggish, but it can snipe you out of Up B and maybe kill you. Then there's SHURIKENS, oh god shurikens. A much underrated edgeguarding tool which can snag jumps and force low recoveries. I much prefer shurikens for edgeguarding than regular metal blade because of how fast they can be spammed. The fully charged one forces airdodges too. Then there's Dair, which can be used offstage without dying and basically blocks low recoveries.

Twice as many options? Well I just listed 6 to your 5 (excluding customs) but effectiveness of options is what counts. And if anything they're the same. You have some powerful metal blade and leaf shield stuff but both are very telegraphed as you have to be holding the blade or having the shield activated. We struggle with low recoveries but have unpredictable (and, like yours, low risk) edgeguarding options.

Greninja's low edgeguards are his weakest point which MM can abuse so yeah, neither can do much to the other while they recover. But note that while you can wall jump, we can wall cling. The best thing about your recovery is that you keep your DJ after using Up B, but otherwise ours is probably better.

With the kill setup you listed, Fair and grab don't kill. So it seems like it's pretty safe to do anything but get hit by the blade on the ground. Your Bthrow kills near-ish the ledge I guess. Your ability to force an approach with pellets makes this more potent as well, but it's still quite obvious when you're going for it, which is an issue everyone who wants to kill with Bthrow at the ledge has. Don't know what really constitutes being a "lot" better at killing, it was just a subjective statement, I'd say we are but you may disagree.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I didn't "read your post" because I wasn't respnding to you. Nor do I appreciate condescending comments like "think about it".

Dair isn't supposed to be used to meteor in this situation, it hits low recoveries and combos into Fair for a kill.

The rest I don't see any point replying to.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Did you just try to burn me XD
...because it did :confused: (Damn you Scald users)

I'm sorry if it felt condescending, I didn't mean to be... but are you SURE there is nothing to say ? I felt like you forgot about some of :4megaman:'s options...
And yes, I lack knowledge of your options. So I can't be 100% accurate :p

P.S.: How the heck can DAir set-up FAir kills off-stage. Someone explain me please.
Or it hits onstage, which is risky enough by itself.

Alright, it meteors only at the start of the move. Forget it.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
I was thinking about something... Since we can still use our Double Jump after the UpB, it means that we can use that UpB then jump and use DAir to float a bit if we want to go high (it actually lets you hover a bit when used at the apex of your jump), but it makes us vulnerable to grabs or Aerial punishes...
What are Greninja's combos off throws ? Just askin' .

Last edited:

TheRealDonquavious

Smash Cadet
Flingin Combos:

Up throw up air is most reliable, usually leads into a 50/50 at kill percentages and guaranteed damage at mid percents. Up throw to air dodge read to falling up air sets up footstool combos of choice. Up throw back air works at mid-low percents as well. Down throw to forward air is a kill combo that is very dependent on DI, but essentially gives us another near 50/50 option at the percentages where up throw up air won't connect anymore. Down throw also sets up into easy air dodge reads for shadow sneak or walk up F-smash, often for a kill at higher percents. Those are the majority of the ones that are useful enough to use.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
A general question.

How do you edgeguard characters with tether recoveries?

I find airdodge > tether to be pretty much untouchable.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
A general question.

How do you edgeguard characters with tether recoveries?

I find airdodge > tether to be pretty much untouchable.
I guess most of the time you have to wait for them to actually tether.
...Which is a real pain, because it sets you in a 50/50 situation where you have to get a solid read to edgeguard -_-
I think a Greninja should try to Hydro Pump their opponent diagonally downwards first to force a low recovery, then punish the UpB if it's possible.
Predicting a horizontal Tether is actually risky since if they don't go for it, you'll get punished.
(Basing myself on Lucas and ZSS. And Lucas can get in a safe spot to PKT2, unlike Ness.
So I guess he counts.)

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
I think this is the thread that asked about Fox vs. Greninja and wanted videos of me playing since I don't think we lose to him, so, I finally played the second best Fox in my city on stream the other day and I'm linking the video for you all who were skeptical of what I said.

Skip to 2:42:00
http://www.twitch.tv/ultraarcade/v/18107192

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
How should we consider the changes to shield for this thread? It's certainly going to shift things around here. Personally, I feel Greninja having already poor oos options means he doesn't lose nearly as much when suddenly everyone does. At the same time, though, this means that he's pretty much completely defenseless against characters' newfound ability to pressure shields.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Greninja really isn't getting pressured any worse than he was before, his shield was and still is garbage. And the only characters who are both fast enough to apply constant pressure to Greninja's shield and aren't susceptible to zoning are, surprise surprise, Fox and Sheik. We shouldn't have to worry about shield pressure from anyone new except maybe Zero Suit.

While we can now Fair, Nair, Ftilt and Dtilt people's shields really safely. Fair on shield is really, really good. Then you have shuriken zoning being better in general with higher shieldstun and new ledgetraps from the fully charged one locking people in block and guaranteeing a dashgrab at certain ranges (yes, seriously).

Essentially this patch benefits mobile characters (hard to lock down and pressure their newly worse shields) with good dashgrabs (to catch all the rolls and SH landings which will replace shielding) and high damage/hitlag moves (safest on shield). Greninja pretty much fits into every category.

My first reactions were mixed, but having played the game, I would say this patch is almost purely positive for him.
----------------
So, I would say MUs we need to discuss more/worry about are the ones with characters who benefit from the shieldstun changes even more than us. Namely ZSS, Pikachu and Duck Hunt (frisbee is ridiculous now).

Most of our other MUs should stay the same or get slightly better.

It's too early to say if any, good or bad, will change enough to actually change the ratios we've already set out.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Sweet. Sour Nair is still really unsafe. Shame because that's the kill confirm but oh well.

Summoning Emblem Lord Emblem Lord , I noticed your top 10 list while I was introducing myself to the Marth boards:

Yeah my personal top ten in order is

:4zss::4sheik::4pikachu::4diddy::4ryu::4sonic::rosalina::4fox::4mario::4falcon:

Kinda feel :4villager::4pacman: or:4dk: could kick out CF though. I find them overall more impressive.
Overall I think this is a good list although I'm surprised to see Pac-Man that high. He is really obnoxious though.

Where do you see :4greninja: in this? I'd still be interested in hearing your thoughts on this post:

So yall know Greninja is top tier now right?
I'm sure there was some exaggeration but I do think Greninja got better in this patch. How do you feel he's going to fare?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He is probably just under them. Top 15 imo. Imo safe ground poke in ftilt and safe aerial poke in Nair is what he needed. I gotta test kill confirms off nair when I get home. If he has some truly devastating ones then yeah he is probably top of high tier at worst,

All imo of course.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
He is probably just under them. Top 15 imo. Imo safe ground poke in ftilt and safe aerial poke in Nair is what he needed. I gotta test kill confirms off nair when I get home. If he has some truly devastating ones then yeah he is probably top of high tier at worst,

All imo of course.
The only N-Air kill confirms he has are N-Air -> Up-Smash and N-Air -> F-Air, but that requires you to hit with the sourspot which is not safe. I think maybe sweetspot N-Air -> F-Air can kill at certain percentages? Not sure on this one.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
you can do sweetspot nair > uair spike into greninja nonsense at 70~80%, softspot nair into usmash at 90%~110%, and sweetspot nair into fair kills most chars at the edge at 100%.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
It might be worth checking into the Jigglypuff matchup again, at the very least, as we gained quite a bit from the shield nerfs as well. There's still quite a bit of exploration to be done, but we have the potential to do scary things to shields now.

There've actually been rumblings from our better players on the puff skype chat concerning the ratio for puff for some time now- considering the only one really discussing things from puff's side (iirc) was a much less experienced me, I could see how things could have gone overlooked, though since most of them don't do much on smashboards I'd probably have to relay their opinions through my posts.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
It might be worth checking into the Jigglypuff matchup again, at the very least, as we gained quite a bit from the shield nerfs as well. There's still quite a bit of exploration to be done, but we have the potential to do scary things to shields now.

There've actually been rumblings from our better players on the puff skype chat concerning the ratio for puff for some time now- considering the only one really discussing things from puff's side (iirc) was a much less experienced me, I could see how things could have gone overlooked, though since most of them don't do much on smashboards I'd probably have to relay their opinions through my posts.
I don't think this is a MU where either character used shield much. I think it's pretty much unchanged from the patch.

That said, in both the current patch and 1.1.0, I don't see how we beat Jigglypuff 65:35 or worse like some Greninjas claim. It's probably not even 60:40 our favour.

Our Usmash is very threatening to her, but Jiggs has no problem using her aerial mobility to weave away from Usmash despite its large range. She can weave back in on reaction to punish the ending lag. We can't punish her crossup aerials on shield (even less so with the shield nerf) and she can hover in our blind spot extremely easily. Greninja's blind spot is the air in front of his head; more specifically it's most characters' short hop height, high enough to avoid jab/dashgrab but low enough for dash forward Usmash to have too much startup to reliably challenge aerials. Jigglypuff can occupy this space extremely well with her floatiness and air speed. Her airdodge lets her avoid Fair and Nair very easily. Bair is good against her but she'll win any trades.

In contrast she can't make many mistakes in the range where Usmash hits, and it's a range she enters frequently. Her throws are terrible and her range in general is short so we don't have to worry about hitting her shield. We can also abuse back roll (which Jigglypuff has no reactionary answer for unless she's fighting, like, Samus) like every character can, and we can camp her quite effectively.

Essentially this is a MU where Jigglypuff can't make mistakes in some of the space she usually occupies because of Usmash, but she can do whatever the hell she wants in our blindspot and can be obnoxious to even hit at times.

Greninja vs Jigglypuff being even or slightly in our favour seems much more reasonable. Though I will say this MU will get worse for Jiggs as we get better at covering our blind spot. Up angled Ftilt is a very safe way to hit our blind spot, held back only by being slightly awkward to input. Fair is also safer to use to hit the blind spot now, since SHFF Fair is safe on shield if Jiggs tries to pull off a quick tomahawk.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Most people who used Jigglypuff against me have told me that the MU was like really bad for her. I even had one guy SD his last stock and say to me that choosing Jiggs was a mistake.

I'm going from my experience and what others have told me, I do think Greninja has a good advantage in this MU.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
Puff has gotten a lot safer after the shieldstun changes, so that's something we should keep in mind.

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
In our mu with her I feel puff has always been pretty safe. A smart puff floats at an angle we can't really do anything but space fair against. I never really got the 60 40 or worse you guys always throw out, I think it's close to even if not just even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom