• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Masterpieces in the Wii U version

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
The more I think about it, the more I think that the Masterpieces will be back version of Wii U... there's a plenty of Virtual Console releases that fits for the great majority of the characters in the roster, and some can be even added in a short period of time until the release of SmashU (just in time, or maybe even in the launch day of Smash, as they did at E3 with Pac-Land and Pac-Man Collection)...

I know that most of people didn't like the idea back in Brawl (and faced that as a waste of space on disc), but I thought that was pretty cool extra.. helps the player to know better the origin of each character, or even introducing him to a new series. Of course I didn't expected this on the 3DS version of Smash4, but in the Wii U could work very easily, since the disc is even bigger than the last time and there's no big mode like the SSE occupying the space (and come on the demos are very short and small);

--currently, the following titles are available in the Wii U's Virtual Console:
[NES] Donkey Kong (for Mario and Donkey Kong)
[NES] Mario Bros. (for Luigi)
[NES] Super Mario Bros. 2 (for Peach)
[NES] Super Mario Bros. (for Bowser)
[SNES] Super Mario World (for Yoshi)
[GBA] WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames! (for Wario)
[SNES] Donkey Kong Country (for Diddy Kong) *Currently Europe only
[NES] The Legend of Zelda (for Link and Zelda)
[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (for Toon Link)
[NES] Metroid (for Samus)
[GBA] Metroid Fusion (for Zero Suit Samus)
[NES] Kid Icarus (for Pit and Palutena)
[FMC] Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (for Marth) *Japan only
[NES] Kirby's Dreamland (for Kirby, King Dedede and Meta Knight)
[NES] Punch-Out!! (for Little Mac)
[SNES] EarthBound (for Ness)
[SNES] F-Zero (for Captain Falcon)
[NES] Dr. Mario (for Dr. Mario)

--The games listed below can be added (or at least, I don't see any reason for not):
[NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (for Bowser Jr.)
[SNES] Star Fox (for Fox and Falco)
[GBA] Pokémon FireRed (for Pikachu, Charizard and Jigglypuff)

--Third party demos could or couldn't happen..
[NES] Pac-Man (for Pac-Man)
[NES] Mega Man (for Mega Man)

...since in Brawl, both the NES' Metal Gear and the Genesis' Sonic The Hedgehog were in the Wii's Virtual Console.. but none were present in the disc; but in any case, the games cited are currently available.

--and games that COULD be released.. but I'm not sure.. could be some issues for them, like playability:
[NDS] Game & Watch Ball (for Mr. Game & Watch)
This game is available for DSi;... and since we got a mention for "Game & Watch Donkey Kong Jr." in the Smash Sale, we could have this game a tiny demo, at very least (I'm not even expecting the full game available on the actual Wii U's Virtual Console)

[NES] Duck Hunt (for Duck Hunt)
Obviously, the lack of the NES Zapper could be a problem.. but, the Wiimote can't be compatible?.. Even the Gamepad's thouch-screen.. maybe..

[NES] Stack-Up (for R.O.B.)
Once again, the lack of the peripheral.. but R.O.B. is REALLY necessary? Isn't there hacks of this game that can be playable with a normal controller?

[NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (for Villager)
This could be a problem by the way that Nintendo want to promote the Animal Crossing franchise.. principally on the Wii U.. I'm not even sure if all the functions of this game could work in emulation.

[GNS] Sonic The Hedgehog (for Sonic)
Well.. actually, SEGA Genesis games aren't in the Wii U's Virtual Console (and apparently, won't come be available)... the lack of SEGA's support on Virtual Console (aside the 3DS with the GameGear) is notorious. But ...eh.. the GBA version of Sonic 1 can be put there just for the special event... eck.

and then, the following characters don't have (and probably won't) anything related on Virtual Console:
Rosalina, Sheik, Ganondorf, Ike, Robin, Lucario, Greninja, Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Dark Pit, Lucina and the Miis.
...the minority of the entire cast, as you can see!

Well, what you guys think?.. It's a good idea bringing the Masterpieces back; would like to have those demos on disc? =)

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Animal Crossing on GCN is actually a N64 game ported to Gamecube so that could possibly be a masterpiece instead of Wild World.(It released on the N64 in Japan)

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Animal Crossing on GCN is actually a N64 game ported to Gamecube so that could possibly be a masterpiece instead of Wild World.(It released on the N64 in Japan)
I didn't even noticed it was an n64 port...

Tough, the graphics looks very good for n64 standard...

Anyway, I think there should have been a lot of tweaks because it really doesn't look like n64...

LosTimeTurner

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lostimeturner
Looks great but I don't think they would do it because thats a lot of time they could be doing other stuff on and the VC needs more games that are not just nes & snes

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I know that. But, unfortunately, Nintendo 64 aren't currently available in the Wii U's Virtual Console (and of course, we don't even have any news about GameCube games coming as well).. Animal Crossing: Wild World would be the only option to represent the franchise as a Masterpiece, since Nintendo DS games are already supported on Wii U's Virtual Console.

My only doubt that if Nintendo would want this game on Virtual Console.. since can be already a brand new Animal Crossing in developing for Wii U. And we don't know if some functions of the DS game itself, can work in emulation.

Looks great but I don't think they would do it because thats a lot of time they could be doing other stuff on and the VC needs more games that are not just nes & snes
Nah, not really hard to put them on the game.. since we already had this function in Brawl; .. in fact, is just a tiny executable of a ".wad" on the console, which runs in some limited time outside of the content of the disc of the main game. They're not in fact the ROMs in the Smash disc, just a icon that runs a Virtual Console content.

Anyway, I think that already might work with the games already available on VC, not all the characters had a game in the Masterpiece section in Brawl (but we need SNES Star Fox, though. >:T )

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
The Wii U VC really needs to be greatly improved. Putting GBA games on there is great. DS games is a little weird. But they should at least give us n64, genesis, master system, arcade, etc. games that were on the Wii VC. Seems kind of odd that an older generation console would have more options. Although, I guess technically they are available on the Wii U through the Wii Mode, but that just begs the question even more as to why they're not on the Wii U. They should add in GameCube and Wii games, too.

Having said that, I think Masterpieces would be great, if there were more games available on the Wii U VC. It could still be doable with what we have, but if would be missing quite a bit, too.

I would say, though, that maybe they shouldn't feel the need to restrict themselves only to older games. Like maybe there could be a Wii Fit U demo for WFT.

[GBA] Metroid Fusion (for Zero Suit Samus)
Actually, Samus does not wear her Zero Suit in Metroid Fusion. She wears it in Metroid Zero Mission, which, I believe, is why it's even called the "Zero Suit." So, yeah, we need to get some Zero Mission on the Wii U VC.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Eh, I still don't care for them. As much as it might be cool for people who are just getting into Nintendo, the demos don't usually provide the best of the experience the games could offer.

Would prefer development be used on new modes and stuff.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Actually, Samus does not wear her Zero Suit in Metroid Fusion. She wears it in Metroid Zero Mission, which, I believe, is why it's even called the "Zero Suit." So, yeah, we need to get some Zero Mission on the Wii U VC.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Those aren't the Zero Suit. :ohwell:
She is featured not wearing the Power Suit in (almost) every Metroid game. Just because she's not in her power suit doesn't mean she's automatically "Zero Suit" Samus. The Zero Suit is the suit that she wears in Metroid Zero Mission, which is exactly what Zero Suit Samus is based off of. Metroid Zero Mission is also the only game where you play as Samus in the Zero Suit, and along with the first Metroid, is the only other Metroid game where you play as Samus without her suit. So, no, Metroid Fusion doesn't count. Just sayin'.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
She is featured not wearing the Power Suit in (almost) every Metroid game. Just because she's not in her power suit doesn't mean she's automatically "Zero Suit" Samus. The Zero Suit is the suit that she wears in Metroid Zero Mission, which is exactly what Zero Suit Samus is based off of. Metroid Zero Mission is also the only game where you play as Samus in the Zero Suit, and along with the first Metroid, is the only other Metroid game where you play as Samus without her suit. So, no, Metroid Fusion doesn't count. Just sayin'.
I'm aware of all this, but

...I was going to put something after "but", but I couldn't think of anything.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Please no Masterpieces... waste of space... Smash is not responsible for giving you demos... that's the eShop's responsibility.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
Why would I want to play Ocarina of Time for 5 minutes and walk like two feet when I could watch it on Youtube? I would play it somewhat ironically to laugh at how stupidly short they were.

At this point the demos on the Eshop do the job just fine. There's no point.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Since I own or have played most of the Masterpiece games, I don't see the point. So I'd rather they not waste space on disc or on my Wii U with that.

And thinking about it, really, there's no reason to do that now that there's the eShop and it's much better than it was in Brawl's day. They could make demos available easily. They could even make them only available to people who buy Smash Bros, if they wanted to. They could have a link within the game to the eShop, either to the games in question or to demos. They could give discounts to people who buy them with this link, yada yada yada.

They have tons of ways of accomplishing the same thing without putting in the level of effort that they put in for Brawl. They don't need to do any emulation, they don't need to add to the download size.

And well, if you don't have internet at all... that's sad for you, but the Wii U isn't exactly offering you a full experience already, and this is a pretty minor thing to miss out on compared to, you know, all the other online features.

But really I don't care as long as they don't make me waste space on my Wii U with demos of games I already have available, or I've played hundreds of times, or I have no interest in, which they'd pretty much all be.

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Don't Masterpieces take up a bunch of data, which along with the SSE, prevented Mewtwo and Dixie Kong from being playable? I know the Wii U would have a lot of space (more than the Wii), and the lack of an adventure mode of the SSE's caliber would mean that Masterpieces wouldn't be a huge deal, but what would be the point? The Virtual Console pretty much covers all of what the Masterpieces feature, and does it 110% better.

In short, I'm basically asking how/why a Masterpieces mode would be necessary given the availability of the Virtual Console?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Don't Masterpieces take up a bunch of data, which along with the SSE, prevented Mewtwo and Dixie Kong from being playable? I know the Wii U would have a lot of space (more than the Wii), and the lack of an adventure mode of the SSE's caliber would mean that Masterpieces wouldn't be a huge deal, but what would be the point? The Virtual Console pretty much covers all of what the Masterpieces feature, and does it 110% better.

In short, I'm basically asking how/why a Masterpieces mode would be necessary given the availability of the Virtual Console?
euh...it's not the disc that made them cut.

In fact, a wii disc is 4gb.

But they had to use double layer and so, 8gb,

Brawl was clearly not using the full disc (I think it ended up being 5-6 GB).

It's not because of it, but remember that SSE was poorly implemented programaticaly (there's evidence that found duplicates of data that could have been shared).

SSE had to do something with their cut imo, but it's not because of the data size...

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
I knew that was a general consensus that the Masterpieces were hated back in Brawl;.. but I still think that's better idea than just describe the games in trophies, mentioning briefly, or even in the Chronicles section.. it's short, it's very silly, but still could hold some curiosity better than text in my opinion. ... and again, wouldn't be a big deal with the disc size which we have today;

but anyway... If I needed to choose, personally, I totally support more content on the Virtual Console itself than giving 30 secs demos in Smash disc. XD

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Kirby's Dream Land for the NES???

Seriously though, I like masterpieces, and these selections seem pretty good.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
In Metroid Fusion, if you beat the game in under 2 hours as well as get 100%, you can play as Samus without her suit.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
I'd be interested to see if there are N64 games included. That may hint at N64 titles coming to the Wii U's VC in the near future.

But yeah, I find it kind of pointless that this feature returned. 5 minute or less demos are just a waste of space.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I love that EarthBound is included, but at the same time, a game like that is kinda pointless with the time limit, as it has quite a bit of build-up before you really get into the meat of the game.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Annoying because that's going to waste like hundreds of MB on my hard drive, based on how much space other VC titles take up. Which is kinda ridic in the first place, considering how an NES game can be emulated on a computer with only 1 MB. Something very inefficient is going on with the emulation, I think.

Top Bottom