• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Master Fortress: Better than Subspace Emisarry?

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
Do you think that Master Fortress was better than Subspace Emissary from Brawl or perhaps better than the Adventure Mode in Melee?

Folt

Smash Ace
Master Fortress is one (two?) boss phase(s?). Subspace Emissary and Adventure Mode have "true" levels.

So no.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I...really don't think there is a comparison. One is a fully-fledged story mode, the other is a short level after a boss rush that re-uses enemies from Smash Run.

If you think doing Master Fortress on 9.0 is hard (something I did today on my first try), then you have to try SSE on Intense without using stickers. You will know true pain then.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
Subspace Emissary was 2 hours worth of decent content stretched over a 10-hour game. It felt like more of a chore than anything else once all was said and done.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
Despite the fact that Master Fortress is just a few minutes of running and avoiding danger zones, Subspace Emissary had more variety of hazards and stages, bosses and puzzles.

SSE > Master Fortress

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only real danger that Master Fortress had was its acid walls and acid water. In the Subspace Emissary, more stuff could potentially annihilate you.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Master Core and Fortress are certainly better bosses than most of the SSE. But trying to say that MF is better than the SSE as a whole is kind of illogical.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Saying Master Fortress is better than SSE is a bit of an overstatement isn't it?

There was a lot more to SSE than Master Fortress. I will say that the insanity that is Master Core/Fortress is pretty awesome though.

D

Deleted member

Master Fortress itself is rather annoying to me. I recall like the first time I did it, when it warps you back, I was a bit confused on where to go exactly so I went forward and fell directly into something that wasn't there before (the yellow stuff) and I took damage and kept bouncing up due to the new bouncing on walls mechanic in this game until I died. I couldn't couldn't do anything. Felt like Master Pong at that point lol.

Regarding the content itself, It's interesting, but It's not really well made and I find myself just rolling and shielding lasers and whacking the cores a few times. I feel Adventure for sure offers a variety of things and is very well made, and SSE, although not anywhere near as good in my opinion to Adventure mode, offers a lot on it's own to this fight that, yeah, doesn't feel like a proper comparison.

warriorman222

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3866-8698-4754
Master Fortress itself is rather annoying to me. I recall like the first time I did it, when it warps you back, I was a bit confused on where to go exactly so I went forward and fell directly into something that wasn't there before (the yellow stuff) and I took damage and kept bouncing up due to the new bouncing on walls mechanic in this game until I died. I couldn't couldn't do anything. Felt like Master Pong at that point lol.

Regarding the content itself, It's interesting, but It's not really well made and I find myself just rolling and shielding lasers and whacking the cores a few times. I feel Adventure for sure offers a variety of things and is very well made, and SSE, although not anywhere near as good in my opinion to Adventure mode, offers a lot on it's own to this fight that, yeah, doesn't feel like a proper comparison.
Um, you can shield before you hit a wall and stop bouncing. Or else you WILL bounce until 100% off the acid and ceiling.

d00derino

Smash Cadet
Yes. Totally yes. They nailed Classic Mode this time around I think. Aside from too many 5-8 player matches, but it's still very well done compared to the other games. Same for Angry Targets. Prefer it much better that way.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
It's better in the sense that it greatly reduces the amount of shoehorned platforming in the game. The main problem I had with SSE (and probably the reason I played through it once and never touched it again) is that it was essentially a mini platforming game thrown into a game with an engine that is simply not built for platforming. This was a minor problem in Melee's adventure mode and became much more pronounced in SSE. The problem is that there is so much variation in how the different characters move that platforming is bound to be a frustrating experience. Master Fortress overall isn't terrible, but there are some characters for which it is just plain obnoxious to try to navigate around. Some characters have difficulty making a simple leap up to a higher platform without falling into an acid pit below (Little Mac), while others can cruise around the platforms like it's their job.

I've always believed that Smash should stick to what it does best, which is chaotic fighting. Fighting games are by their nature not platformers, and should not try to be. Does anyone remember what happened when Mortal Kombat tried something like that?

Top Bottom