• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Money Match

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Okay I'm not terrible with Jiggz in this match-up but for some reason I can't seem to get past, my opponent's Marth. The Match is for $10 and I want to win so sadly I'll take anything I can get.
He tends to be a lesser Marth player but he some how gets me stuck in one of two things that get me in trouble and if I can get those things fixed I'll probably be on my merry way back to tell everyone how I got $10.

1) When I approch or don't I get Fair and into a Dair and from there he trys a Fsmash which doesn't always work. I know that spacing is something I need to work on but I tend to get anxious which is a difficult thing for me with Jiggz. But I am pretty sure that you can Rest Marth after the Dair if he doesn't l-cancel so could I get a confirmation on this?

2) I do stay in the air with Jiggz but coming down I can't get on the stage. He consistently Uairs me and Utilts if I come close enough. I try to float over to the edge but that is dangerous as well and yeah the Dair once again tends to hit me so I face being spiked down or star killed upwards.

Sugguestions on these problem would be great. I know how to avoid the Dthrow to Fsmash pretty well and I can avoid the other things which is why the match usually goes to him by just one life. This little bit of help will win some pride for the Jiggly community.

Oh one last thing its tomorrow on Final Destination.

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
Well pound to get on stage and if he jumps because you are to high, time your pound into his jump. Also it somewhat hard to do, but you can rollout the edge (DO NOT CHARGE IT ALL THE WAY), and from the edge, depending on how good of a marth he is, you jump bair/fair him fairly easily. Now with spacing against marth I have a lot of trouble as well, but for the best rest opportunities look for missed grabs you can short up rest or wavedash rest to. Missed smashes crazy lag for marth. You can also, it is trick sometimes, draw him to grab or smash with some dashdancing then shorthop rest him or if hes close enough wavedash rest him, but its kind of hard to pull off.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Roolout I know how to hit the edge and grab but this is marth. He can poke or Fsmash me thats definately not what I would want to do. As far as recovery goes yes I pound and yes I try to avoid any attacks coming to the stage but still sometimes I have trouble gettting from the edge into the Marth's face.

Sliq

Smash Master
Why shouldn't you charge it all the way...I thought that you could still sweet spot it regardless of how charged it is.

Also, if your opponent isn't that smart, your best bet is to get close enough to him that he'll want to attack, but far away enough for him to miss. Then, every time he swings his sword, hit him in his lag. This is a wonderful tactic against people who don't catch on. If you just bait him into attacking first, you should have no problem hitting him in his stun time.

If he tries to grab a lot, duck rest that mofo. Duck resting (not to be confused with resting mallards...) is amazingly satisfying, and if you keep doing it they will eventually start playing defensively, and if this occurs in the middle of a match, the odds are you're ahead, a Jiggs is really good at defensive play..

You can always duck to f-smash if you are concerned with missing, or if you are at high enough damage that they will respawn and kill you.

Sometimes, if you rising pound their shield, they will try and shield grab you. If done correctly, you should be too high for this. If they wiff the grab, you can drop down and rest all over their dome. Don't get carried away with this one, because if they are smart they will jump out of shield and f-air you instead of trying a grab.

Also, it should be cake reaching the ground. You have 6 jumps and rising pound. Mess around in the air until you see and opening, then land. If he keeps grabbing you as you land, hold down as you land. Jiggs can instantly crouch as she lands, thus leading to a rest.

Auto cancel n-air shield poke to duck rest is also pretty good here, not to mention the n-air to rest combo (which works well when they are a little bit above the ground DI'ing towards you...say tossing out fairs...if you can get in there with a n-air after they miss a f-air, at the right percentage, they will land on a rest).

Don't aim where the Marth is, aim in front of the Marth. That way, if he approaches, he gets hit, and if he backs off, you have enough space to avoid counter attack.

Also, if you go to Battlefield at all during your set, Jigglypuff's n-air will wreck Marth's recovery, because it turns him around. If you nudge him under Battlefield's ledges, he won't grab the ledge because of the nature of his up-b. This can work at 0%, so abuse this here. However, make sure not to miss...the n-air is quite long, and you will be recovering from below the stage, which is generally a terrible idea against a Marth (and Falco).

Don't get grabbed, and DI up. Unless Marth throw combos you into a tipper or just tippers you down right, you should live forever. If you get hit by an u-tilt, you didn't space properly, or just got mindgamed.

Edit: Jiggs sweetspots the edge with rollout. You seem to be getting hit because he is predicting it, or you are doing it from very far out...or you are not sweet spotting it. Marth can hit you before you get close enough to the ledge to sweet spot, but he can't hit near the ledge expecting to hit you, because you will sweet spot the edge. My advice is to only use this rarely, as a mindgame. I'd say once or twice a match at most.

Duha

Smash Journeyman
i play marth all the time. if you counterpick pick battlefield. try to control the middle and get a grab dthrow. he will DI to a platform and possibly tech it or not. follow him to the platform and if he rolls either way rest him this is an easy way to rest marth. Also try empty ariels to grab or nair auto cancel to grab. keep moving in and out of marths range mindgames son. if you are close and you shield a fsmash jump and rest it is easy to do. WoP is your friend and you can follow up and carry him off the stage with both fair and bair. if he DI's to far for fair or dair throw in a nair and keep going.

when comming back stay high really high and go back and forth untill you see an opening. IF there are platforms land on top one then get back air born tell the ground has a safe landing.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
But as he said, he has problems with approaching ...
And random rest tactics aren't so clever XD

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Jiggs sweetspots the edge with rollout. You seem to be getting hit because he is predicting it, or you are doing it from very far out...or you are not sweet spotting it. Marth can hit you before you get close enough to the ledge to sweet spot, but he can't hit near the ledge expecting to hit you, because you will sweet spot the edge. My advice is to only use this rarely, as a mindgame. I'd say once or twice a match at most.
That pretty much exactly what I meant when I said to use rollout. If he isn't used to it, it is quite hard to time. And if you do get a sweetspot just fall and jump to a bair/fair or something or a pound. If you are lucky (this is rare) he would have tried to smash your rollout recovery and if the timing is right its a fairly simple sing cancel (once again don't count on this to work).

But approaching marth isn't a very affective way of beating him, unless you get a good bair or fair that sets him up for comboing its probably going to be better just to space and counter him. A nicely time pound works for setting up a rest opportunity or some comboing. But otherwise marth can usally destroy a jiggs who trys to approach.

Edit: And marth is fairly easy to rest at low percentages. Fair rest, pound rest, bair rest, wavedash rest, short hop rest, should always be on your mind. Look for any opportunity to punish him because you need it, plus if you get a marth player angry they get to aggressive and sometimes you can take advantage of that.

Ame$

Smash Apprentice
rofl @ u tryin to be smart or something ....

good advice ---> mindgames on approach
maybe use air dance to make him attempt an attack and then wd rest .

random rest is always good .

have a nice day .

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
If you do a random rest against Marth, then do it and a low or high percent. Low is good, because you wont die, and high because you were going to die anyways. It sucks getting killed with a tipper at 40%.

Keep your spacing. Pound also has good priority, and can usually break though Marth's attacks. Fake out jumping by moving toward and back, causing him to miss. Air dodge toward him near the ground, if he misses a fsmash, then get him with a rest. Shield an attack, jump out of the shield, then rest.

Even just messing with a lvl 1 computer Marth helps.

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
low is bad for random rest, in fact. you should never random rest, set it up so you know you will be able to catch him, dont just go for random luck.
low is bad for rest because shield breaker = automatic kill no matter what percent, and if you dont shield it, then automatic however much brutal damage it does which is not worth it.

xeonoex

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping the term random was meaning not combo'd into, but still a likely hit.

It's best to just DI the sheild breaker attack. If, for some reason, you have the chance to put up your shield, dont. The best thing you can do then is probably side-step.

Never try to pull off a rest. Just play, and if you see an opening for it, the use it. Thinking "rest" only can really hurt your game, unless you try to combo into the rest.

RPK

Smash Lord
btw counterpick stages. Go mute city on him, and if he is consistantly hitting you with Uair go to somewhere with platforms. Dreamland is awesome because he tries to edgeguard you, well it would be harder for him because for me I Di into the top corner of the screen. However it should always be hard to edge guard a jigglypuff. If your up high btw, pound your way back.....Dont try and fall and grab the ledge, Pound your way back to the stage if your up high. because jigglypuff, if you have his rising pound down, has a near infinit horizontal recovery! And if he comes after you, if you can reach him that is, kick his *** with some bairs and fairs. Hes in your territory now! Btw xeonoex never pull off a rest? Just look for openings. Such as try to go at him with a Sh nair and let it auto cancel then duck. if he tries to grab you, he should miss then there you go open rest right there. Btw guys I havent played in like months so Im a bit rusty...so all this info here...Dont quote me on it ^^;; And I was never that big of a resty kind of jigglypuff...I get to nervous and fear that Im going to miss lol

Sliq

Smash Master
Theo only problem with said counter picking means he lost a match, and you can't lose the first match. It is the most important, because you get to end on your counter pick.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
$10 richer!!!

Well I'm 10 big ones richer, which is only 5 pounds in the UK sadly. But the economic situatuion aside I played three matches with the guy going 2-1. I have to say that this was difficult b/c the guy isn't renown but he's not bad. We played on FD first then to Yoshi's Island and then I took it to Mute City. I have some very memorable moments of which I wish I could have video'd but I'll talk about how the entire thing went down.

FD
I am in the 2nd player slot he's in the first. I come out and he goes right for the aerials I manage to tie his Fair with a pound and we both go the same direction but he recovers first and I get Dair'd. I recovered and he missed the l-cancel and I short hop for a rest kill. He comes back and gets a Fsmash off just late of me powersheilding it. I proceeed for the rest of the match to play the air game of Fair dodge and triangle jumping along with Dairs of my own as a mindgame to bring him to the edge and over all I finish it with him at 132% and me at 88% and Fairing him and he missing a counter and I grab the ledge and he falls.
GAME ONE ME!!!

YS
Marth chose this obviously and I can't say anything saved me more than the Double DI I learned from watching one of Magus's vids on YouTube. I could only get him to two stock here and my only two kills were both rests from a Double DI tech off his Fsmash which I hopped into him and a Rest on the edge after I pounded him into me, low percentage ofcourse. But he won that one.

MC
I go to choose the final match stage and it was a shock for him since he didn't play here much. I'll just say that Rollout is useful here and leave it at that. I did some stupid things that costed me two lives but I won happily with 2 rollout kills a WoP off the stage and of course my signature Rest from a missed grab.

I am happy this went so well I hope that I can save enough up for a real computer to have a capture card to use with it.*sigh* but I won and that's what matters.

Sliq

Smash Master
You could've just taped it using a VCR and sent found someone who had a capture card (for example, me).

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
yeah sorry next time I will try and do that and yes most of the advice did help, thanks all. I also had to keep myself calm, if I lose my calm I lose all my spacing.

Top Bottom