• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mars' opinion on samus after playing

Mars-

Smash Champion
Well, just got back from a smashfest and got to play a bit of brawl, I'm going to post pretty much everything that comes to my mind as useful to know.

First of all, you can turn around with neutral attacks. I forget where I read that you couldn't, but that isn't true.

The controls are hard to get used to, because if you hold down and use the c-stick to downsmash, you do a dtilt. This might be hard to stop, but there is a good side to this, down tilt is amazing.

Tether recovery is really useful, yeah you can make it back with up b just fine, but I think that in the end it will be more useful to switch them up. There is a downside to this though, if they are edge hogging, and you shoot your grapple, yes it will hit them, but after that it doesn't actually grab the edge. I found that because I am used to melee I could not recover after this, but I'm sure it would work.

Forward smash does not ko any better. I was using a half charged one on somebody with 120% on the new yoshi stage, and they still survived.

Grapple canceling as an attack isn't as useful as I thought, it's really situational since you actually have to jump to do it. It also doesn't hit people on the ground if you are shooting it to reach out as far as possible. This is usefull though to stop peoples jumps.

Missile canceling smash missiles is just useless. Seriously, they cancel over peoples heads, and the amount of time it takes to jump and shoot a missile just to miss is not worth it. Not to mention that the knock back has been nerfed. Homing missiles are better missile cancel wise, as they come out much faster.

Edge hopping a forward air is really nice. Up airs are good too. Sex kick still has amazing priority, but some times you will find yourself getting hit by the attack anyway, and the knock back is just enough to allow them to not get comboed by it.

Up b out of shield is amazing. Seriously, it's more spamable than it was in melee, much easier, and it can possibly ko.

Back air is a nice ko move, but it is extremely hard to hit on people standing on the ground.
Also because you have to jump, you will probably find it harder to hit people.

Almost everyone can out prioritize samus's arial approaches, they are almost non existant. Those of you like me who liked to jump and drop down on them with a down air will find that it just doesn't work anymore.

I should just say it is extremely hard, or at least it was for me, to get a ko move with an approach. Samus will probably be played much more defensively this time around, that was the best way I could land a ko move.

Anyway, overall, samus probably won't be high on the tier list, but I can see her as maybe middle tier still. It takes a lot to get used to, and she is much harder to play with against higher tier characters.

Edit: I will post the videos when they get uploaded, since I didn't actually record them like I wanted to.

Phazon_Dude

Smash Apprentice
hmm.. from what you are saying Samus was basically not as good at anything as people said she was. Well, I always played Samus defensively so thats not a big change. I had to bomb spam a couple of times, TELL ME ABOUT the bombs! Please.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
...I can hit people easily on the ground with the grapple...The only time it was hard to hit them is if they were crawling with like squirtle. Otherwise it was easy...

Mars-

Smash Champion
...I can hit people easily on the ground with the grapple...The only time it was hard to hit them is if they were crawling with like squirtle. Otherwise it was easy...
Don't forget though, I have played this game once and there was a line of 15 people to play the one setup. I might not be on the top of my tech game.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Back air is a nice ko move, but it is extremely hard to hit on people standing on the ground.
Also because you have to jump, you will probably find it harder to hit people.
It also only hits in the beginning of the animation. If you start bair too early your foot will literally just go through them w/o damage and knock back.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Thanks for the info, would like to know about bombs though...
Bombs are pretty much the same, unlike the demo, bomb jumping is still relatively easy. You can also hit your bombs without laying a second one. Also it might have just been me but, if you are holding to either side when you actually lay the bomb you will have to move a bit to that side before you can move the other way.

The one thing that I didn't actually test, but have been told, is that bombs don't hit like they used to. For example they do not hit people if you simply lay one on your opponent, instead there seems to be a time before it will actually explode. However, this would probably still allow edge guarding with bombs, however if this is true, then shield bombing is pretty much out.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Up B is not as good as it used to be. It trades hits a lot more now rather than just overpowering the opponent and sucking them in.
I don't know about this, I think it is just as overpowering, however I also noticed that sometimes they would break out in the middle and I would catch them again in the end.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Up B is not as good as it used to be. It trades hits a lot more now rather than just overpowering the opponent and sucking them in.
I agree. I have been hit out of my up-B by seemingly low-priority attacks too often =/.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I don't know about this, I think it is just as overpowering, however I also noticed that sometimes they would break out in the middle and I would catch them again in the end.
Let me rephrase that.

You can actually stop the up B now. If you clank with Samus's up B, her up B stops where as in melee, the opponent would just get sucked in. There was no clanking.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I have a question about the Zair a.k.a the aerial grapple beam.

Does it hit crouching opponents when Samus does it right out of a SH?

Or would she have to use it on the way down to hit a crouching opponent?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I have a question about the Zair a.k.a the aerial grapple beam.

Does it hit crouching opponents when Samus does it right out of a SH?

Or would she have to use it on the way down to hit a crouching opponent?
Her SH is really short...so I think that it would. I will test if for you though.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
i think most people aren't used to Samus' missile cancel.... cuz i shoot it low and it doesn't go above people's heads

i think people just need to get used to the timing and style of this game

You kinda have to think of this game as completely different from melee =_=

Chepe

Smash Lord
So the presumably buffed Up B is easy to break out of? Good God... I think the developers thought Samus was god tier in Melee...

Top Bottom