• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario vs Sonic

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys.

I've played Mario since forever, he's my way to go when it comes to almost every character.
However, lately I've been fighting some very skillful Sonic players and I feel like it is a brutal nightmare to deal with.
Somehow, Link fares way better vs Sonic than my main who I am so much much better with.

So I've come here to discuss the opening-opportunity for punishing Sonic, because I right now see no opening to punish a good Sonic player. He will always spin-dash away, jump up and leave a spring before dair quickly back before I even get there in time. Fireballs feel like a good tool, but up against a player that knows how to defend himself theres little chance.

Grabbing as Mario is one of his main combo starters, and against a proper Sonic there is no grabbing. How do I deal with it?

Accidently made a reply to my own post for no apparant reason (tired).
Sorry for the 'selfbuffering'

Last edited by a moderator:

EZdelFresco

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CaliKid_E
Even still, good fireball pressure always helps for me just because it can stop the spin spam in it's tracks. Also a quick short hopped nair and dair can take priority over a lot of sonics bullcrap. Most times even if a Sonic player is decent you know what he's trying to set up because they essentially all try to do the same thing. So try to anticipate and counter grab a lot. If you use the cape a lot, tone it down because it has too much wind up when you're being rushed down by a Sonic unless your timing is impeccable. These are just some things that have worked for me even against more experienced Sonic players, but it's ultimately down to timing since he can rush, attack, AND get out of harms way so well.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Contrary to what you would normally think, don't get in a Sonics face. It won't end in your favor. Fireballs and N-Air are your homies here. Most of your damage is probably gonna come from keeping him away because... he's Sonic. He's fast. Too fast. Too fast for Mario. And if he down airs, punish the **** out of him. Unless he tries to spike you with it, then Lord help you. Unless your really confident or the Sonics really bad, you wanna try and play keepaway. Sonics can't do anything from afar but Spin Dash (Cape them or burn them if they do) but you can, so you've got two options: make them come to you or make them keep they asses away. Either way, you wanna really tack on chip damage instead of getting aggro. If Sonic does try to rush you down, your goal is to either escape or beat him into submission. Down Smash, Nair, grabs, anything that's quick. I suppose you could try and juggle him too. Look out for his Spin Dash, that ************ can do like 28% in one combo.
He ain't a joke offstage either, he can really catch you offguard with stuff like Bair (which hurts), Homing Attack, and Fair. All I can tell you is stay away and throw out Nairs or air dodge. Watch out in the air too, cause Sonics love trying to juggle you with Uair. Don't let that happen.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
I appreciate all the answers, but I am afraid I know all of this already.

And it doesn't help that much, for a very good Sonic is very difficult to grab and as we all know his Spin Dashes goes through pretty much all attacks. The dair punish is difficult as well, because the spring will be in the way for where he lands so It blocks off the road, even if i'd dodge it I wouldn't make it in time. Uair after spin dash jump is literally the one and only window I have to attack him, and even then it isn't good enough to kill. It kills maybe around 150% but racking that damage and surviving is extremely hard.

What buggers me most is that Sonic's forward smash has 1½ longer reach than Mario's, comes out faster and is about the same power (Or stronger..?).

Top Bottom