• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 6, 2015] GameGuys Smash Weekly feat. Melee & PM (Pasadena, TX)

SouthernGent

Smash Cadet
The Game Guys weekly is here to help you test your strength as a player against the rest of the scene. By coming together on a weekly basis we can hopefully make our scene as a whole stronger while also just having a good time.

The weeklies happen every week on Wednesday and Friday, Project M and Melee will switch days every week. So if you can't make it to the Project M weekly on a Wednesday don't fret because the next week it will be on Friday and vice versa for Melee. In order to easily keep up with what day will be for what games feel free to join the Houston Melee (https://www.facebook.com/groups/HoustonMelee/) or Houston P:M (https://www.facebook.com/groups/272546922941606/) groups on Facebook.

Venue fee $5
Singles fee $5
Doubles $5 (per teammate)
Each game will use Apex ruleset unless otherwise stated

UPDATE: I (@ SouthernGent SouthernGent ) am no longer helping to run the weeklies due to moving out of Texas. I am still in contact with the people running the weekly and am willing to answer any and all questions to the best of my abilities here on this page.

Last edited:

mvanhiel

Smash Rookie
I am part of a live music group that plays and reacts to live super smash games!!!! I am looking to get involved in this and get my band playing at these tournaments! Check us out on Facebook (Navi) or at www.listentonavi.com. Who would I contact to try to get something together with these Smash tourneys?

Tik

Smash Rookie
Sounds like great fun.
I hope nobody minds me being a bit out of the loop, as I haven't really played melee outside of my small group of friends.

AshBoomstick

Smash Cadet
NNID
klinechur
3DS FC
2809-7728-1923
I have never played other then with friends as well Tik. I was wondering do we need to bring our own controller to the event or no?

Alpha Seagull

Smash Rookie
I have a few questions. First of all, do you livestream to a site or server and if you do, can you please post a link to it? Also, i think you should also ban Master Hand in melee, since there is a known glitch that lets player 3 play as master hand, and since it doesn't take knockback, it'll be invincible in a regular melee battle. I know it's a given that it would be banned but some people might be smart aleks about it and use the glitch and claim "It's not against the rules." Also, would we have to bring or own controllers? Because I'm in a situation where i can't bring mine.

Last edited:

NackJicholson

Smash Rookie
NNID
NackJicholson
Also going to be my first Smash Tourney as bad as i'm going to be im very excited! and yes as what Alpha Seagull said, do we need to bring our own controller?

Tik

Smash Rookie
I have never played other then with friends as well Tik. I was wondering do we need to bring our own controller to the event or no?
Also going to be my first Smash Tourney as bad as i'm going to be im very excited! and yes as what Alpha Seagull said, do we need to bring our own controller?
I took mine just in case but it did appear that, yes, you should bring your own controller.
As for it being your first time, I'd like to add that it's a much better experience than to be expected. People there are very kind and inclusive, not to mention how they'll help you learn about the game.
Hope to see you guys there.

SouthernGent

Smash Cadet
I have a few questions. First of all, do you livestream to a site or server and if you do, can you please post a link to it? Also, i think you should also ban Master Hand in melee, since there is a known glitch that lets player 3 play as master hand, and since it doesn't take knockback, it'll be invincible in a regular melee battle. I know it's a given that it would be banned but some people might be smart aleks about it and use the glitch and claim "It's not against the rules." Also, would we have to bring or own controllers? Because I'm in a situation where i can't bring mine.
I will add it to the rules that Master Hand cannot be chosen but most players see that as a given. I have never run into the problem but I will add it just in case. I have an extra controller that I can let you borrow this week (7/18) but it generally helps to be able to bring your own because most all controllers feel a bit different.

Yes it is advised and expected to bring your own controller though that being said occasionally people at the event will have an extra controller they will let you borrow or even let you borrow their main controller but like I said to Alpha Seagull it is always better to consistently use your own so that you can learn the in and outs of it's nuances as to be able to get the best performance as possible out of it.

Last edited:

NackJicholson

Smash Rookie
NNID
NackJicholson
I will add it to the rules that Master Hand cannot be chosen but most players see that as a given. I have never run into the problem but I will add it just in case. I have an extra controller that I can let you borrow this week (7/18) but it generally helps to be able to bring your own because most all controllers feel a bit different.

Yes it is advised and expected to bring your own controller though that being said occasionally people at the event will have an extra controller they will let you borrow or even let you borrow their main controller but like I said to Alpha Seagull it is always better to consistently use your own so that you can learn the in and outs of it's nuances as to be able to get the best performance as possible out of it.
Sweet thanks for the heads up guys. I kind of expected so I mean only makes logically sense. See you guys soon!

Anime

Smash Journeyman
With the tournament that just happened, is there still going to be a weekly this week?

Alpha Seagull

Smash Rookie
I didn't hear that there wouldn't be a tournament last week due to Armada's visit, which works fine since i didn't have enough cash on me at the time to enter. I actually learned some pretty good Peach strategy from him. This week i might do better than i did last tournament #gotcompletelywrecked

SouthernGent

Smash Cadet
Noobies are always welcome, they are even encouraged to come! Though I need to update the thread because as of a week ago we started having weeklies on both Wednesdays and Fridays with it alternating each week which game is on either day. This Friday (8/29) will be a Melee day while the next (1/5) will be a PM day.

Top Bottom