• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maining mewtwo, choosing a secondary?

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
So, I'm having a little trouble picking out a secondary to play after m2. I currently have a ganon, charizard, and a bit of an olimar, but I'm welcome to try out some new characters too. Who would be a good choice to cover mewtwo's weaknesses?

Vale

Smash Ace
I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm not actually very good at the game, so most of my input is based on what I've seen from various sources.

Mewtwo's main problems are against floaty characters, Mario, and people with swords. Some people say Ganondorf is a bad matchup, but I think it is totally managable/we have an advantage if you can camp hard enough and not get caught.

Shiek is said to have decent matchups against floaty characters (bar Jigglypuff?). In Melee she was one of the easier characters to learn, so that might have translated to P:M. The dthrow isn't as good as in Melee, but it is still great for setting up tilts and works with (b?)throw as a DI trap.

Zero Suit Samus might be good for similar reasons of being able to deal with floaty characters.

Against sword characters, I like to use Link and zone them out. He also has the added benefit of having a sword himself.

Mario, Fox, and Lucas are decent all-around characters in their matchup spreads, but the latter two are tech-heavy characters and would probably work better as a main rather than a secondary.

I think Ivysaur is a pretty good choice as well and is my personal secondary, but I'm heavily biased on this point so I can't actually vouch for it.

From the characters you listed, I think Charizard would be the best choice, but I'm not really sure.

AstraEDM

Smash Ace
Thanks for the input. Ivy seems very solid from what I've played of her, might look more into that. She's got solid range and some really cool frame trap shenanigans

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman
I main Mewtwo as well, and second Kirby, who has a similar air game to Mewtwo as far as recovery goes, and I've been getting into Lucario, who has a few similar aspects to Mewtwo but none of the floatiness whatsoever.

Lucario sure taught me about wavedashing and shielding pretty quickly, a skill I was lacking in Mewtwo whom I relied mostly on his Teleport and floatiness to dodge.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
i dont know why people advocate secondaries all the time

use your favourite character all the time it makes you better at the game instead of splitting your efforts into making a couple of scrubby characters

Darkmask

Smash Journeyman

use your favourite character all the time it makes you better at the game instead of splitting your efforts into making a couple of scrubby characters
Well, like I said, I was lacking in wavedashing and shielding with Mewtwo, relying mostly on Teleport and general floatiness, by playing Lucario, I was forced to change tactics, which overall improved my gameplay, I think.

Plus I just think it's fun switching it up every so often, especially if the people you play grow too wise of your tricks playing the same guy every time.

Vale

Smash Ace

The problem is that people have many characters they enjoy playing almost equally, so they want to be able to use all of their favourites.

didds

Smash Lord
My inability to choose a single character is what holds me back the most at this point.

It's just how do you pick between squirrel turtles and boot wearing dinosaurs?
Or clothed, pistol-weilding, rocket-pack-using monkeys and giant psychic cats?

#smissues

Top Bottom