• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Vs Falco

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I play mostly in New Jersey and they happen to have a lot of pretty good falco's. (One of them beat chillindude at a recent tournament.)

Anyway, I need help on this matchup. Half of them camp with SHL and the other half are highly aggressive. I fare better against the campers, but not well. Assuming they rarely miss lcanceling the dair and shining making shield grabbing difficult, what strategies and counter pick stages should I use?

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
dont ever pick mute city or FD, *unless you can 0 to death them*, umm i personnaly just kinda hop around/wavedash on platforms a bit and when i see an opening i go for a hit into a techchase and then atleast *try* to chain grab em, or upthrow them into an aerial, and once they are off of the stage, they stay off, ya mean? *unless they are very good like tori/dj combo >.>*

basically maybe just try to see an opening, and with that opening get them off of the stage, and if they are doin UpB from below, even if they try to sweat spot the edge, if u do a Dair on em they are screwed, if they are doin UpB from above, try to guess where they are gonna land, but lots of times they kinda wiggle so it looks like they are comin more to the center of the stage where as they are really going back more towards the edge of the stage so they can grab on, and if they are doin ForwardB, just try to time a hit on them, or grabbin em into an upthrow and an aerial again XD

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
well try to hsield space roling with lasers, and well, use big shield, and ofcourse, if u can chaingrab, do it.. no matter what..
keep them out of the platform..

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Luigi pwnz Falco.. period. Forget SHL.

1) SHL OMG
SHL isn't as hard to get past as it seems. It really doesn't matter if you get hit by a few lasers if you know how to follow up when you're close. Approach with WDs into shields. Your shield is important! You can shieldgrab and block lasers with it.

2) The Lcanceled Shine
Some Falcos are smart enough not to get shield-grabbed, so they lcancel aerials on your shield into shines. IMO, the best thing to do is WD back and
then forward again into a grab. If they jumped, then shame on them. Falco in the air + Luigi right below on ground = Falco taking damage. You can easily land an Uair on Falco from below.

3) Comboing Falco
Uthrow and Dthrow tend to work very well against Falco.Uthrow for chainthrows up to 30%. With Dthrow, however, you have a few other options. One that the Falco might expect is tech chasing. You can tech chase Falco wit h your Dthrow, it might even be clever to surprise them with an Uthrow into an aerial. Hitting them with that unexpected damage is a decent advantage. Secondly, After using Dthrow, Falco will land behind you. Do a reverse Dsmash (tap the direction that Falco landed and tap down on the C-stick). At some percentages, you'll hit Falco before he hits the ground, taking away his ability to tech. Falco just above and in front of Luigi = pwnage. You can do a few things. If he comes nearer to you (only at lower precentages, you don't want Falco to be able to jump) you can Utilt or Usmash and follow with Dair or Fair. If he's too far for another launcher, or you just prefer this way, then you can aerial him. As always, Luigi has a few different options of aerials here. You could do aan Uair into Nair, giving you another slight launch with some damage, but be careful as Falco might be able to jump after that. If you don't want to do that, or you're close enough to the edge that you can hit him off, then I'd suggest using Fair on him (Dair works too, but Fair gives you a bit more range to ensure your hit). ^^Basically do what you can do damage him, then get him off of the edge.

4) Edgeguarding Falco
Falco has two means of survival, neither being very good. He can use his OverB or his UpB. First, his OverB. You should be aware that Falco OverB is a meteor, so if you get hit while off the edge, you might die.Falco will only ever OverB onto the edge, or above you onto the stage. If Falco aims for the edge, then just Dsmash the edge. You'll launch him perfectly for another Fair/Dair off the stage. Plus, it's likely he's lost his jump. If Falco uses OverB above you and onto the stage, Run or WD if you need to to get under him and use your Utilt. Like the Dsmash, this will set you up to land another Fair/Dair and knock Falco off the edge once more. Second, Falco's UpB. To make things simple, Luigi's Fair > Falco's UpB. You have more priority. In fact, all of Luigi's aerials have a higher priority than Falco's UpB AND OverB. So you should have no trouble edgeguarding Falco. Besides what is mentioned above, a great way of edgeguarding is edgehogging (duh?). If he comes above you with UpB, then ledgehop into aerial (Dair or Bair to bring him offstage once more). If he OverBs onto the edge.. then he's dead. If he OverBs onto the stage, then Ledgehop to Wavedash to grab to Uthrow. Then use either Bair, a well placed Dair, or reverse Fair.

5) Launchers
Launchers own Falco. Luigi's best launchers vs Falco are the following:
-Unsweetspotted Nair
-Uthrow
-Utilt
-Dsmash (easiest to land in the combo Dthrow to reverse Dsmash)
-Sweetspotted Nair (<< this shouldn't be used as much as unsweetspotted)
Usmash has an odd trajectory, so don't use that too much.

6) Killing besides edgeguard
When Falco is at a high percentage, you don't need to bother with edgeguarding. It's quite simple, actually. A few simple combos are
-Uthrow to Fair
-Uthrow to Dair
-Dthrow to reverse Fsmash (same idea as Dthrow to reverse Dsmash)

Basically, be creative in the way you toy with the tiny minds of Falco players. Show them your moves, as Captain Falcon says.

LUIGI FTW

El HP

Smash Ace
Try to gimp falco's recovery remember this is his real weakness so abuse this as much as you can also don't forget the tornado works great on fast-fallers.

PimpUigi

BRoomer
BRoomer
The campers are harder. The blaster is a pain to get through.

If the Falco is aggressive, you can capitalize this.
Mind game him, grab him, assuming he DI's well, down throw him into some tech chased down smashes, and then once you're near the edge, hopefully you can chop him off the side, and edge guard him for the kill.

If he doesn't DI well, you can combo him in the air to a pretty high percent.

IMO tech chasing is the key, but I haven't played a good Falco since Dope unless you count Velocity.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The campers are harder. The blaster is a pain to get through.

If the Falco is aggressive, you can capitalize this.
Mind game him, grab him, assuming he DI's well, down throw him into some tech chased down smashes, and then once you're near the edge, hopefully you can chop him off the side, and edge guard him for the kill.

If he doesn't DI well, you can combo him in the air to a pretty high percent.

IMO tech chasing is the key, but I haven't played a good Falco since Dope unless you count Velocity.
WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN???

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Punish mindless pillaring with sex kick out of the shield. It works almost as well as Samus' Up-B out of shield.

Top Bottom