• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi vs DOC

ADloser

Smash Rookie
I have a hard time getting around those stupid pills. What's the best way to approach DOC.
And while we're at it what can Luigi do vs Doc? Combo's and chain throws - wise.

p.s. Assume we are both high level players. So no Tornado-spam advice, plz :D

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I can't really help concerning approach. But as for combos,, most of the time you will be getting 2 hit combos on each other, at best 3 hits. Both Luigi and Doc have fast recovery time from hitstun, so if you try to do huge combos you'll get naired out of it.

Luigi definitely has an edge in this matchup once he gets inside the pills. Luigi simply has more range. Press this advantage by using ftilt a lot; either while wavedashing in, or wavedashing backwards if he's relentlessly attacking. Backair is also good, you can usually chain 2 or 3 of them in an aerial battle safely. The matchup isn't really about combos, but about spacing and edgeguarding.

Hang on the ledge, drop down, and backair him while edgeguarding; that usually works, though I suppose it's good to mix it up. You just have to hit him once while off the ledge, doesn't matter with what.

Gea

Smash Master
I can't really help concerning approach. But as for combos,, most of the time you will be getting 2 hit combos on each other, at best 3 hits. Both Luigi and Doc have fast recovery time from hitstun, so if you try to do huge combos you'll get naired out of it.
Truth. Your sexes break each other. For approach. We have the cool ways and the stupid looking but effective ways.

First - the cool ways. Luigi Cyclone works amazingly well if you know the timint for the hitboxes. There is a time in between the first and second where you can get pegged with a pill, and if you know it well you can use cycloen to stop the pill and gain distance without lag. Tilts and jabs also work wonders, as do every aerial you possess.

Second - Dash attack cancels any pills besides the ones that will hit your head. It is lame and I wouldn't suggest it less they stop pilling and you just do a dash attack, but try it. It works.

Luigi definitely has an edge in this matchup once he gets inside the pills. Luigi simply has more range. Press this advantage by using ftilt a lot; either while wavedashing in, or wavedashing backwards if he's relentlessly attacking. Backair is also good, you can usually chain 2 or 3 of them in an aerial battle safely. The matchup isn't really about combos, but about spacing and edgeguarding.
This is where I disagree. It is even. Doc's ftilt basically does the same thing to Luigi... both can easily be shielded then when either approach for the grab you just sex them... and Ftilt leads to nothing. It is useful for poking but *shrugs*. Luigi doesn't have range, he has speed and priority in his moves. Besides bair Luigi basically owns the aerial battles.

You WANT Doc in the air but only under two cases:

1. You are already near Doc, in which case you want to use downsmash or utilt or a grab to get him into the air.
2. He gets into the air before you.

Luigi is a slow *** in the air and this is where things even up. Yes, your aerials pwn as Luigi but you are also **** vulerable to WELL placed fairs, wall of bairs, pills moreso and getting knocked off the stage.

Things to remember:

- You want a platformed stage.
- You can juggle him easier than he can you.
- He has little/no range.
- His jab game > you because you are a floaty with a worse jab game. Be careful.

Hang on the ledge, drop down, and backair him while edgeguarding; that usually works, though I suppose it's good to mix it up. You just have to hit him once while off the ledge, doesn't matter with what.
Yup. Bair works for you against Doc quite well... but his edgeguarding on you is still better. DI UP against Doc. You want to recover high over the stage. Once you get under the stage chances are you aren't coming back.

To me this matchup is harder for Doc if he doesn't know it, but if both players do know it well, it evens out. ROFL might disagree with me, but whatever. Cyphus did at one point saying it was in Doc's favor and now he knows better after RAM spanked his sorry ***.

Roman.

Smash Champion
Listen to what gea has to say. Also, watch your recovery for doc can cape your side b's and up b pretty well. Try to side b up a little so you can air dodge onto the stage for a better chance of recovering.

You can wavedash around the pills pretty easily, just be very picky about your approaches. Try to look for patterns in the doc's pilling as well.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Just jump off 4 times, save yourself.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
aight, here's an idea.

You tell me why you have problems with doc, and i'll tell you why i have problems with luigi. Cause i'll be ****ed if i didnt get ***** by the same luigi twice at the last 2 tourneys i went to.

But anyway.

__

The thing with luigi is; Doc cant approach him at all. Doc cant combo him. Doc cant keep away. You really cant do anything.

You try to approach, you get dominated by out prioritizing; fast as hell moves. (f.air, b.air, n.air, etc etc).

You try to spam him to death, he just n.airs through your pills like 90% of the other characters in the game.

If you try to stay away, he just wavedashes around and wavesmashes in.

The only luck I had was taking the luigi (Ram) to Pokefloats, where I proceeded to lose a 2 stock lead cause i got pulled under by squirtle (**** that turtle. :( )

Gea

Smash Master
Aw come on now Dogy. How the hell did that happen? I gave you the perfect stage to take him on and you mess it up! =oP

Nah, RAM is too good.

Maybe I can get some matches of me pwning ROFL. Hahaha... <.< hahaha

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
dogy dont say u cant do anything, u got more adventage than him, the thinng is taht, with luigi try to take him out fast from the platform, that would workbetter, dont combo because u conw be able to hit more than 2 or 3 times..

Top Bottom