• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario Matchup Discussion: vs. Luigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam

Smash Hero
Lucario Matchup Discussion: vs. Luigi

Welcome to the Lucario vs. Luigi matchup thread/export. As you might have guessed this thread is for discussing the ins and outs of the Lucario vs. Luigi matchup and who wins/loses. As always please keep discussion on topic and civil. Refer to this thread for all other matchups.

Steam

Smash Hero
The biggest problem here for us is that luigi is luigi and our disjoints are gone. Luigi can outspaces and out-prioritize us in some hilarious ways. Luigi has fast moves and out meatys us, and his downB makes his landing safety well above average. Fireball cancels aurasphere at most%s which shuts down an otherwise very potent tool. We can do a lot to luigi offstage, but our upB is bait for the tornado spike (not sure if it's a custom or not), that luigi can do by grabbing the ledge mid downB. There's also the fact that luigi has very potent kill setups out of throws and can also potentially end our stock extremely early.

I'd put the ratio at either -1 or -2. Before luigi got nerfed it was a solid -2 but our survivability is much better now that downB isn't such a reliable kill.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Posted in the wrong thread...
Anyways, lucario hasn't got the best match-up here, his smaller balls are getting canceled by fireballs, gravity ignoring fireballs make it harder to approach, luigi has his tornado to mix in some kills and getting close, he got truecombos, which doesn't really make it easier...

I'd say with proper DI, you could get out of his combos, but I don't know lucario well enough to know if he got something that breaks combos. Also, Luigi's weakness is his recovery, if you can gimp him well enough, you can get ridicioulous kills.

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
Posted in the wrong thread...
Anyways, lucario hasn't got the best match-up here, his smaller balls are getting canceled by fireballs, gravity ignoring fireballs make it harder to approach, luigi has his tornado to mix in some kills and getting close, he got truecombos, which doesn't really make it easier...

I'd say with proper DI, you could get out of his combos, but I don't know lucario well enough to know if he got something that breaks combos. Also, Luigi's weakness is his recovery, if you can gimp him well enough, you can get ridicioulous kills.
luigi wins solidly ,no di will save you he has true combos at every percent ...lucario off stage game isnt great anyway...luigi deserves a nerf

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
luigi wins solidly ,no di will save you he has true combos at every percent ...lucario off stage game isnt great anyway...luigi deserves a nerf
You can DI out of the tornado if he presses too much on. It's a common practise, but high level player will notice this pretty easily,and predict the DI the next time...

And honestly? What do you want to nerf at him? What exactly, that won't sent him low tier directly? His d-throw?
Every character has his fair share of bad match-ups. And as long as he isn't top dangerous as Shiek, Rosaluma, ect... I doubt he will be nerved any time soon, others should be buffed tho. Anyways, that's a bit off-topic...

Last edited:

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
This mathchup is not fun to say the least

To say the most, it's the ****ing stupidest and most frustrating MU I've ever had the displeasure to witness.

This matchup is definitely -2 imo. Luigi's kill setups are unreal, his combo game is stupid good, and his kill power makes me want to throw things. But, that's not to say this matchup isn't doable. The thing about Luigi is that he excels in short/mid range because of his fast projectile and grab setups. However, from a distance, there's nothing really Luigi can do to hurt you. This matchup must be played patiently and methodically. Because of d-throw setups, Luigi's will be constantly fishing for grabs throughout the whole battle. Use this to your advantage. Luigi has one of the worst slides in the game and his traction is very slippery. This makes it pseudo-difficult for Luigi to rush in without getting punished for a whiffed grab or an accidental slide. Another shortcoming of Luigi is his very predictable recovery. As long as you respect his nair and tornado-spike, edge guarding him shouldn't be too difficult. Also, a key point to beating Luigi is to always mix up DI. Although it makes less of a difference if they go for the tornado, proper DI could save you 20-30%.

Another thing to mention, if you do not soft-land on stage, you WILL get Shoryuken'd by Luigi. And dying at 60% is never fun...

Samura1man

Smash Rookie
I got some experience of this matchup, thanks to Loota and Forre having Lucario as their mains.

Lucario's can be frustrating to play against because of his aura, I have had situations before where I have one stock lead and I still lose the fight, comeback for Lucario players is always possible. Lucario's upB is really punishable when landed on stage incorrectly. I think the only guaranteed setup for kills is aura sphere to upsmash, as far as I can tell, I haven't managed to counter it with Luigi's Nair. Lucario having high percentage helps him getting back to stage from really low.

Luigi is solid, he got his dthrow setups and guaranteed setups for kills. Luigi's fireballs stops aura sphere at low percentage, but at high percentage fireballs stop to big aura sphere.

I think these characters cannot gimp each other well at all.

So far I cannot really think much to say about Luigi, you all know he's got guaranteed setups from grabs and his frame 3 Nair breaks combos.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
:4luigi:might not be an easy foe, but it's doable if you know when to drop combos, when to go all out, and if you have a good mix up potential.

When we go offensive, we have to have in mind his combo-breaker. His Nair is fast and meaty, yet can be predicted with ease. If you shield a Nair after an Up Throw or Up-tilts, is a free hit guaranteed. He have to rely more on more throws and not only to Up Throw in order if you want to rack damage safely and faster.
As for air follow-ups, our best move will be Bair. Far reaching and disjointed enough to hit Luigi from safety. And since he doesn't move very fast on air in comparison with us, whiffing a Bair shouldn't mean getting punished at all.

As for the defensive topic, I'll be using this video (Youtube video) as relevant material.
As the material stated, the better we mix-up our DI, we have more chance to survive the combos. We must also have in mind the chance to hit with a Nair when we can punish a mistake (Yeah, I know it's frame 8 and it's too slow to counter with, but the angle is well suited to punish it), or with an Air-Walk Dair (Jump out of stun + Dair = Dair while rising), it's frame 4 and we can get out of the way while being offensive.

I could say, its -2 in the worst case. Being -1 or even 0 if we're too optimist in this battle.
And the key-factor of this MU will be our Mix-Up skills and our reactions. Don't lose hope! There's always a way!

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
You can DI out of the tornado if he presses too much on. It's a common practise, but high level player will notice this pretty easily,and predict the DI the next time...

And honestly? What do you want to nerf at him? What exactly, that won't sent him low tier directly? His d-throw?
Every character has his fair share of bad match-ups. And as long as he isn't top dangerous as Shiek, Rosaluma, ect... I doubt he will be nerved any time soon, others should be buffed tho. Anyways, that's a bit off-topic...
he is top with rosa and sheik,,,,, i would nerf his damage output(like bair doing 14 damage!! fireball does 6, add cooldown to his u-smash and fireball ,add like 2 frames of startup to his nair ,reduce nair knockback,and no character should have a kill confirm out of a grab, like the character takes little to no skill, just fireball spam ,,,then grab ,grab,grab u-smash or grab for kills, the only reason i haven't picked him up because i would get bored in a day

Steam

Smash Hero
A lot of people are ranking luigi 3rd after sheik and rosa soooo idk.

they could always make his stuff more DIable or make slight reductions to his damage.

he is top with rosa and sheik,,,,, i would nerf his damage output(like bair doing 14 damage!! fireball does 6, add cooldown to his u-smash and fireball ,add like 2 frames of startup to his nair ,reduce nair knockback,and no character should have a kill confirm out of a grab, like the character takes little to no skill, just fireball spam ,,,then grab ,grab,grab u-smash or grab for kills, the only reason i haven't picked him up because i would get bored in a day
this is out of line, consider this a warning.

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
A lot of people are ranking luigi 3rd after sheik and rosa soooo idk.

they could always make his stuff more DIable or make slight reductions to his damage.

this is out of line, consider this a warning.
come on,whats out of line about that???? it true

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
come on,whats out of line about that???? it true
It is still a match-up thread. And I am aware that some are putting him in high regard, especially after Boss and the likes.

And quite happy to see lots of contribution honestly. I can't really add more to it sadly, since my points already got said, by others and myself.^^

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Luigi's weakness is his recovery, if you can gimp him well enough, you can get ridicioulous kills.
Oh that's right, I forgot to talk about his recovery.

Practically, if :4luigi: is sent far away, you can AS (even Baby AS) to cancel his side-B, forcing him to recover low or gimping him.
Once again, his down-B is a key-factor to recover. In spite of only being able to do once per air-time, he can mash his down-B right after his double jump to gain a lot of height. If you're able to Dair him (or even AS if you're too risky), he is forced to land. He can also mix it up to recover safely, be ready to counter and punish if he ends in front of you.

As surprising as it may sound, A big Luigi's weakness relies on his off-stage and recovery due to his lack of recovery after his 2nd jump.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Question. How well would Reverse Double teaming Luigi's fireballs work? They seem to move slow enough to counter on reaction and it can help make him respect our space if tries to go for his fireball rubbish.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Maybe I'm off base, but it seems like once we get enough aura, Luigi basically can't approach without taking risks. A strong enough Aura Sphere shreds right through fireballs, an ever-longer Force Palm destroys any on contact and can still hit Luigi if he gets too close, and the fireballs themselves can be DTed on reaction. So Luigi's ability to pressure with them is super-limited at that point, and since his air speed is horrible and his traction is so bad that shielding anything sends him right back where he came from, we might be able to keep him out once we get enough damage on us.

Last edited:

smbmaster99MFGG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
smbmaster99
I'm not too good with determining matchups and I'm not really into hardcore competitive play, but in my experiences I've always found Luigi players tend to put up tougher fights than most other characters. I personally think his biggest advantage is his ridiculous air combos. D-throw to f-air > f-air - f-air (plus another if your damage is low enough and maybe even down-b). I'm in agreement though that Aura really forces Luigi to alter his approach. When Aura Sphere starts punching through his fireballs, he isn't able to put up a mini wall in front of himself or build up damage as easy and needs to go for riskier attacks, which are guaranteed kills for him if he's smart, but guaranteed kills for us if our Aura is high enough and he becomes reckless.

If he's one that likes to use Luigi Cyclone to build up damage and attempt landing KO's off the top of the screen he becomes predictable really fast and can be DT'd (for a potential kill if Aura+Luigi's damage are high), FP'd, AS'd or shielded. Most I've played try going for D-airs if you're off-stage so we just gotta fake him out and get clever with ES to make it back on-stage, but we gotta watch the landing lag or he'll definitely go for an up-B if our damage is high.

If Luigi's off-stage and he's directly below the ledge, he'll try either Luigi Cyclone or Up-B, or both. Managed to land a final kill on a really good Luigi who was trying to do this just yesterday with a D-air. He's not much as of a threat when he's like this because down-b leaves his top open for an attack directly from above and his Up-b suffers dramatically. Again these are just my own experiences against Luigi players and others may be able to come up with something better.

Last edited:

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Before I start, respect for Steam for adopting the +/- system instead of the XX:XX one for the matchup directory.

This matchup is kinda funny how completely it turns around after we reach %'s where our AS starts eating fireballs and force palm flame becomes usable. It's still not in our favour but doesn't feel that bad if you can avoid dthrow at high % which is definitely more than doable. Returning the thanks for @ Samura1man Samura1man for the experience in this matchup.

The neutral starts off icky for us if the Luigi can use his fireballs smartly as it clanks with even our fully charged AS up till something like 60-70%. We can still shoot them at different heights to pass them and hit Luigi but it becomes predictable if you don't mixup your shorthops. Still, nair is the key again as it cancels fireballs and outranges Luigi's shorthop aerials (except bair, maybe) so use those moves in tandem and try to maintain your space even if the overwhelming amount of fireballs seems unstoppable. It's important to realize that taking a grounded hit from a fireball may sometimes be the best answer in combatting him (faster than powershielding to a followup) if he fires them too close to you so you can probably hit him with a dash attack. Double Team is also highly usable (and a scary surprise) against fireballs since they're slow and predictable after fired, you'll just have to be careful with the direction you choose to remain safe. So in general, for neutral before aura kicks in, we want to stay in mid range, just on the range that dashgrab is reactable to not let Luigi gain stage control for free and to avoid his grabs.

That darn dashgrab is what makes it dangerous to commit into anything mid range if you're not super sure of what you're doing. Our run speed isn't fast enough to escape it from up close and it will also grab us from shorthop excluding the apex of the jump. Tilts are also pretty unsafe against it so I'd recommend sticking to the plan above and trying to gain some momentum that way. Luckily, from my experience at least, Lucario is pretty good at escaping his downthrow followups due to his floatiness so getting caught in one at low% shouldn't be the end of the world if DI'd properly. On the other hand, we're not that good at comboing Luigi either and we have to be really careful in doing so because of his nair being so fast and our disjoints being a bit lacking sans nair. Uair juggling is the only reliable way to keep him in the air but watch out for that occasional cyclone mixup, it's range is suprisingly good. Getting him in the air is another problem though, we'll have to be careful when fishing for a grab or dash attack since it means breaking into his area of comfort.

When we reach those %'s where our FPF and AS starts ignoring fireballs (and DT starts killing), the neutral turns in our favour. He can't risk shooting them anymore as any AS or FPF hit after moderate %'s will send him close or over the ledge and that's where we want him to be (and not enough people try to edgeguard him at all). We can go really deep and far with nair to intercept his sideB's afterlag, so the only thing left is to watch out for his double jump (usually coupled with tornado) and potential misfires. Having an AS charged will force him to really think where he starts charging the missile and is the key to force him recover low where we want him to be.

The largely deciding factor in this matchup is, of course, that dowthrow to kill moves and our ability to avoid it at critical %'s. It can be really hard for us to continue avoiding it (and staying safe ing general too) if pushed into a corner but we have the tools to control neutral at that critical time and prevent Luigi from gaining control. However, when Luigi breaks our aura wall and we're sent flying, it can be difficult for us to regain control. He shouldn't be gimping us but landing can prove difficult and a poorly landed upB on stage just begs to be upB'd or dthrow -> cycloned. Luigi has also many other of quick killing options from up close so it's important to maintain safe space between him. We will be killing him mostly from edgeguards and AS.

Some other random things:
- I've found that ASC to upsmash isn't too reliable against Luigi if he's paying attention as nair is usually fast enough to disrupt us. Still worth going for but don't get too predictable.
- Hitting a grounded Luigi with nair at low% is almost impossible to followup as he can jab while sliding backwards.
- Uthrow -> uair at really low% will always trade with Luigi's nair, nair might work.

As for stages, I'd imagine our preferences look something like this:
FD / BF / DH > WI / PS2 / T&C / SV > Skyloft / DP / CS / KJ64 >> Halberd / LC

FD, BF and DH are easy to control and there's a lot of space to run away if Luigi gets in our face. SV is good otherwise but the platform can help his recovery a lot sometimes which is annoying. T&C doesn't have that problem but again, it has a lower ceiling so be wary of his vertical kill moves. Wuhu Island has a lot of good transformations for us and is soo big to help us survive but at the same time, the transformations may interrupt our edgeguarding and zoning. Pokémon Stadium 2's transformations seem good to us without the fear of our edgeguarding getting interrupted and I don't think Luigi likes the ice and wind transformations that much while the rest are quite neutral.

I feel the rest of the stages are those that I wouldn't recommend going against Luigi. They aren't completely unmanageable at all but makes our gameplan more difficult than needed. Just avoid Halberd and Lylat Cruise at all costs, they're not fun at all against him.

Overall I'd say Luigi is a -1 matchup for us. -2 is a bit of a stretch I think even if isn't completely out of question and -1.5 doesn't exist.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Well today I was playing this fantastic Luigi who was just so hard to deal with. I lost most of the time, but my success usually came from stuffing his dash grab with Dtilt and ftilt. I pretty much never was able to get a grab in, so any damage I dealt was not free in the slightest.

When I had aura I would deal a bunch of damage but would always die to his dthrow down b, or up smash.

One thing that was actually really useful was aura side b. If it hits it puts us at an advantage allowing us to have more room to charge AS. If it hits his shield, he slides very far away.

Overall though it was just ridiculousness with his 0-60% combo, his fire balls, upsmash, and dthrow to down b. Im in need of assistance.

Samura1man

Smash Rookie
I would agree with @ Loota Loota that this matchup is -1 for Lucario, even if Luigi cannot approach he's still got tools to deal lots of damage and like I said, he's got guaranteed setups for kills too. Lucario players should always be aware of Luigi's upB too, after dthrow you should never airdodge at 60-80% range, upB punish will come if done correctly, I would say that airdodge is safe option after 90%, that's when Luigi has to find another way to deal damage or close the stock.

Lucario having aura can be hard to deal with, high percentages AS stops fireballs. It's safe for Lucario's to use AS when you're having over 100% damage, then Luigi should play safely and fish for a grab or bair or anything to gain stage control or even take a stock.

In my opinion from Luigi's perpective good stages are the ones with little space, in big stages Lucarios gains stage control quite easily with AS, Luigi cannot approach and taking damage from AS isn't good at all, I would take Lucario's to Halberd and SV over anything else, Halberd got low ceiling so quick kills can happen, though Lucario can get quick kills too, don't forget it. I would say all of the stages with platforms are helpful for Lucario, if they are afraid of Luigi for one moment, they can just jump high and use platform to escape, Luigi shouldn't go after them, just wait patiently and see what they are doing.

And I would say couple things what you shouldn't do against Luigi, I have said one already but I'll still mention it, so you can deal with Luigi a bit better.

1: Never airdodge in between 60-80% without DI, Luigi will punish with upB, so DI away in that situation.
2: If you see Luigi running towards you and probably is gonna grab you, then run away. Luigi and Lucario got same running speed, so he's not gonna catch you, if you're already running away.
3: Mix up your DI after dthrow, DI towards or DI away.
4: Use Lucario's force palm when you're having lots of percentage, its range is good and prevents Luigi approaching, also it deals good amount of damage.

I think with these tips you can do some what better against Luigi, he's still tough guy, frame 3 Nair breaks your combos etc.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
That was a long, but well written post.
Well today I was playing this fantastic Luigi who was just so hard to deal with. I lost most of the time, but my success usually came from stuffing his dash grab with Dtilt and ftilt. I pretty much never was able to get a grab in, so any damage I dealt was not free in the slightest.

When I had aura I would deal a bunch of damage but would always die to his dthrow down b, or up smash.

One thing that was actually really useful was aura side b. If it hits it puts us at an advantage allowing us to have more room to charge AS. If it hits his shield, he slides very far away.

Overall though it was just ridiculousness with his 0-60% combo, his fire balls, upsmash, and dthrow to down b. Im in need of assistance.
You normally approach with fireballs while using dashgrab or dash-shield or... anything related to dashing as luigi. Because of this exact thing happening. I'd be vary, because as soon as you shield, he is succeeding with his grab!
And yes... luigi's combos are sadly extremly hard to deal with, just try to DI in the direction he is not facing, you catch a lot of unused players offguard with that.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
Just a couple more things.

Ftilt is a lot more usable than I remembered since it's multihit property prevents Luigi from powershielding it and causes enough shield pushback for it to be really safe on hit, even without that much aura. Nair + AS + ftilt is my holy trinity of moves in neutral and seems to cover basically everything Luigi can do.

It's an universal thing but yet strengthens our edgeguarding game: Luigi has to be really careful near the ledge when recovering as getting an air grab release on him without any jumps should end his stock always. It's not a thing you will be pulling of in every match but considering Luigi's air mobility, it's definitely a weakness.

When Luigi mixups his jabs, we are able to mash sideB and get that frame 1 landing force palm on him which will break his combos. I'm not sure how guaranteed it is but it definitely worked for me when I managed to react to his jabs.

Still thinking -1 for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom